Rate the race: 2013 Korean Grand Prix

2013 Korean Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Korea International Circuit, 2013What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Korean Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Korean Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (3%)
  • 5 (4%)
  • 6 (9%)
  • 7 (20%)
  • 8 (33%)
  • 9 (19%)
  • 10 (7%)

Total Voters: 680

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Korean Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Korean Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

220 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Korean Grand Prix

1. Sander (@sander) said on 6th October 2013, 9:27

6/10 for me.
    I thought the race to be boring except the last 20 laps. The fight between Hamilton/Hulk and Grosjean/Kimi made up for it.

The only thing that I just really, really, really want is for Hulk to get that Lotus seat. Anything else will be so damn unfair.

2. Martin (@aardvark) said on 6th October 2013, 9:29

I was mentally preparing my comment: “The only difference between this race and a funeral procession is no one has died. 4/10.”

Then, BOOM, it was like a Hollywood scriptwriter had taken over. Sparky front wings, exploding tyres, flaming cars, unauthorised vehicles on track, and some tremendous dices. It had it all.

Except for a battle for the lead.

I think Vettel has a secret stash of half-seconds shoved up his sleeve that he can pull out whenever he wants. The man is phenomenal with his ability to build up a lead, seemingly at will. Great for him, not so great for us fans. Having the winner so predictable pulled my rating down. 7/10.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 6th October 2013, 9:46

Though it made the race more exciting, I’d like to get rid of these exploding tyres ^^

3. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 6th October 2013, 9:29

7/10, nice race and I’m glad I decided to watch because my motivation had gone ‘2011’ on my. Even though it was basically another Vettel-borefest in the end it was a thrilling race. If only this track had been built in another country that at least embraces F1.

4. TheNikii (@thenikii) said on 6th October 2013, 9:31

We had the sparks, we had stuff blowing up, we had some fire. There was even a jeep. Make Hulk bigger like Vin Diesel and we have new Fast & Furious movie.

5. Martin (@aardvark) said on 6th October 2013, 9:40

Webber says it was a KERS fire. Do they buy their batteries from Tesla?

6. Howard (@howard) said on 6th October 2013, 9:43

No more mediums left for Mark LOL

7. Elpapo said on 6th October 2013, 9:43

8p

Great drive fr.o.m. Kimi, Grojean and the Hulk. Vettel did his job to.

Is it just me or wasnt Kimi a big talker today on the podium? :) Perhaps a side effect of the painkillers? :)

8. David not Coulthard (@) said on 6th October 2013, 9:54

9/10 for me.

As usual, the start was great, but then it started getting boring (which I think was because the starts here have been so exciting that cars crashed at turn 3, meaning that the potential of the rest of the race (beyond turn 3 of the 1st lap) to be exciting has always been compromised, which is something I blame Tilke for).

Then, Di Resta had a somewhat “standard” crash, which little did we know triggered the event ( I think) that came after it: Webber retiring having seen the RB9 burning (No, I wasn’t happy about that, he was having a good race), the fire truck SUV (seeing an SUV on the track made me laugh a lot), and Hulkenberg’s defense beg for a front-running car next year (?).

9. DK (@seijakessen) said on 6th October 2013, 9:57

Always fun to see how little standards people have for racing that over 50% of the vote falls in the 8 to 10 range.

10. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 6th October 2013, 9:57

A strong 7.

The first half (or so) was pretty boring but it’s like everyone suddenly woke up after the safety car, and the action continued all the way to the end.

Finally no booing to Vettel and DRS worked pretty good. There was actually some defensive driving this time, believe it or not!

11. João Leite (@johnmilk) said on 6th October 2013, 10:01

I rated the race 8/10, but I have to give a 11/10 for the second safety car period, fantastic stuff

12. Jeff Weinerslav (@bittthhhcuit) said on 6th October 2013, 10:12

Firstly, my wife & I are MASSIVE F1 fans & we’ve had the opportunity to travel to GPs in Suzuka and Shanghai and this year in Mokpo since we live in Korea due to work.

It is frustrating living in a city which hosts an F1 race and next to no locals share any interest whatsoever. My colleagues, care next to nothing about the race even though we work just next to the track. I completely understand that F1 is new to Korea and motorsport in general is foreign, however, when your country is hosting an international sporting event, one expects to see the media promoting it as much as possible over a period of time – we’ve been living here for 2 years now and we can say that no coverage is given. The locals only know that something called an F1 race is held at Mokpo, beyond that, nobody has a clue what that entails. This is unfortunate because there is a large market of people here who might be interested in the sport if the CORRECT spotlight would be given to it.
    Today we attended FP2. There is clear, for lack of a better word, absence of effort by the organizers. There was a lack of signage resulting in several different people directing us to the main grandstand in completely opposite directions. There is virtually no team merchandise on offer, despite a plethora of track merchandise. This is because locals still do not know who the drivers and teams are after 4 years. For example, when asking for a Kimi Raikkonen T-Shirt, we were met with blank stares. The level of enthusiasm from attendees of this GP and even the stall holders, when compared to Suzuka last year and Shanghai in March this year, is like comparing chalk and cheese. The staff/volunteers here are clearly trying to make an effort (you can’t say that Koreans are not friendly), but there is so little for them to work with that the results appear lukewarm at best.
    The other major issue I’d like to highlight is that Korea is a very insular country. Please bear in mind that I’ve lived and worked here for 2 years so I’d like to think that I have some experience in what I’m about to say. I don’t intend this to be an insult but, most South Koreans don’t know what’s happening outside of Korea. As a result they are unaware that Yeongam is one of MANY F1 races in a championship year – they see this as a once-off KOREAN event. Therefore, given everything that I’ve experienced today at the track, coming here as a non-Korean tourist would be a hellish experience – there’s no acceptable accommodation, signage is poor at best (and largely in Korean) even outside the track and there is a complete sense of apathy about the event.
    Even in its 4th year, the Korean GP has not inspired any locals to even purchase teamwear to even get into the spirit of the thing. I was lucky enough to attend the Shanghai GP in its 4th year and the atmosphere was completely electric. The locals seemed to adopt that event as their own in that relatively short time and the excitement there was (and still was this year) palpable.
    Personally I believe that this venue is an expensive mistake. Clearly Bernie thought that the seemingly large expat community living in South Korea would be able to coax enough interest in the local population to make this venue a success but quite frankly, nobody seems to care about motorsport in South Korea.

13. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 6th October 2013, 10:19

9/10. Although the track is classical Tilkedrome, races in this track always provide some wheel to wheel action. Fantastic battles all the way down tye grid, except for 1st position.

And that drive from Hulkenberg – it was probably the best performance from any driver this year. He should be driving top team next year. I’m sure he’d beat Alonso in that Ferrari or Button in that Mclaren.

14. A lot of 8/10’s and even some 9/10’s ?? It was not bad, but come on.. The racing was so obvious: Creeping closer with DRS on the start/finsh-straight, Good traction out of turn 2 = no pass possible // Bad traction or old tires = normal DRS pass. After turn 3 usually no point in going to the inside for turn 4, because turn 5 favours you if you are on the outside out of 4 and of course no opportunity to pass from turn 5 onwards! Apart from that we had: a broken front wing, errors from the usual individuals (Di Resta, Perez, Sutil, Massa, Maldonado) AND of course a problem/fire for the most unlucky driver at the moment. A gave it a 6/10, about right I guess. 6.5/10 is more accurate I guess…

15. Libellula (@ladyf1fanatic) said on 6th October 2013, 11:38

Congrats Sebastian & RedBull, another title in their pocket. Gave a 7, race leader was unseen after the start. All the action was behind with the overtakes in the back.
    It’s really shocking to see how Ferrari/McLaren, Lotus and Mercedes can’t keep up with them! By the way, Lotus disappointed me today, almost ‘menacing’ Grosjean and Mercedes are really pathetic with their strategy sometimes, they’ve lost themselves since Belgium and they didn’t allow Lewis to pass Nico who was holding him up with broken wing. Alonso like Hamilton all fighting with ‘poor’ cars can’t really have a decent chance if let down by their respective Teams at least Ferrari has lightening start. McLaren should ditch Perez and take Hulkenberg as fast as possible …Maybe 2014 will be different otherwise what a waste of talent!