Hamilton ‘should be at the front with Alonso’

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Korea International Circuit, 2013In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton says he and Fernando Alonso shouldn’t be scrapping for fifth place as they were in the Korean Grand Prix.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Alonso and I deserve better – Lewis (ESPN)

“Me and Fernando in fifth and sixth at the end having our own little race, yet we are of a higher calibre than that. We should be further ahead fighting with the world champions at the front and with Sebastian [Vettel].”

Sebastian Vettel’s success is getting boring for fans, says Lewis Hamilton (Daily Mirror)

“I feel for the fans because I remember watching when Michael Schumacher was winning. I remember watching the start, going to sleep, then waking up when it ended because I already knew what would happen. I am pretty sure a lot of people were doing that today. At least in my family there were!”

Webber in furious attack on Pirelli

“That is how it is. The drivers aren’t super important ?ǣ it is what other people want. The tyres are wearing a lot and they also explode a bit. But that is for Pirelli to sort out.”

Pirelli apologise to Alonso over row (BBC)

“It’s weird Pirelli spoke out given the season they’re having but he apologised and it’s all good.”

FIA admits it made fire truck call (Autosport)

“Although it is likely that procedures will need tightening for the future, the fact that marshals did wave white flags to warn drivers of the vehicle’s presence on track – as is demanded by the International Sporting Code – means the FIA sees no reason for sanctions.”

2013 Korean Grand Prix (FIA)

Sebastian Vettel: “I saw… I think it was a BMW or… no sorry, it looked like a BMW. I think it was a Hyundai or Kia SUV. You want the number plate? It was not Bernd Maylander’s, so it was not the safety car. I saw that.”

Kimiya Sato to be Sauber reserve in Japan (Reuters)

“The 24-year-old will also carry out a straight line aerodynamic test for them on October 18th at the Vairano track in Italy.”

‘Bitter’ day for Mercedes (Sky)

Hamilton: “We couldn’t have done 35 laps on the tyres. In hindsight, we could have stopped because the Safety Car came out, but we never knew that would have happened.”

Williams FW35 – revised front wing (F1)

“Rather than three arches next to the endplate, it featured just a single arch (lower red arrow) in line with the other cars on the grid.”

Old masters McLaren pay price for taking a turn for the worse (The Guardian)

Martin Whitmarsh: “You can’t have a strong year every year, unfortunately. But people do expect it, don’t they? We have no right to be there. The fact is there are 11 teams here who have every right and the ambition to be on the podium and winning races.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Jeff Weinerslav gives his thoughts from South Korea:

Firstly, my wife and I are massive F1 fans and we’?ve had the opportunity to travel to Grands Prix in Suzuka and Shanghai and this year in Mokpo since we live in Korea due to work.

It is frustrating living in a city which hosts an F1 race and next to no locals share any interest whatsoever. My colleagues, care next to nothing about the race even though we work just next to the track. I completely understand that F1 is new to Korea and motorsport in general is foreign, however, when your country is hosting an international sporting event, one expects to see the media promoting it as much as possible over a period of time ?ǣ we?ve been living here for two years now and we can say that no coverage is given.

The locals only know that something called an F1 race is held at Mokpo, beyond that, nobody has a clue what that entails. This is unfortunate because there is a large market of people here who might be interested in the sport if the correct spotlight would be given to it.

Today we attended second practice. There is clear, for lack of a better word, absence of effort by the organizers. There was a lack of signage resulting in several different people directing us to the main grandstand in completely opposite directions. There is virtually no team merchandise on offer, despite a plethora of track merchandise. This is because locals still do not know who the drivers and teams are after four years. For example, when asking for a Kimi Raikkonen T-shirt, we were met with blank stares.

The level of enthusiasm from attendees of this grand prix and even the stall holders, when compared to Suzuka last year and Shanghai in March this year, is like comparing chalk and cheese. The staff/volunteers here are clearly trying to make an effort (you can’t say that Koreans are not friendly), but there is so little for them to work with that the results appear lukewarm at best.

The other major issue I’d like to highlight is that Korea is a very insular country. Please bear in mind that I?ve lived and worked here for wo years so I?d like to think that I have some experience in what I’m about to say. I don’t intend this to be an insult but, most South Koreans don?t know what’s happening outside of Korea. As a result they are unaware that Yeongam is one of many F1 races in a championship year ?ǣ they see this as a once-off Korean event.

Therefore, given everything that I?ve experienced today at the track, coming here as a non-Korean tourist would be a hellish experience ?ǣ there?s no acceptable accommodation, signage is poor at best (and largely in Korean) even outside the track and there is a complete sense of apathy about the event.

Even in its fourth year, the Korean Grand Prix has not inspired any locals to even purchase teamwear to even get into the spirit of the thing. I was lucky enough to attend the Shanghai Grand Prix in its fourth year and the atmosphere was completely electric. The locals seemed to adopt that event as their own in that relatively short time and the excitement there was (and still was this year) palpable.

Personally I believe that this venue is an expensive mistake. Clearly Bernie thought that the seemingly large expat community living in South Korea would be able to coax enough interest in the local population to make this venue a success but quite frankly, nobody seems to care about motorsport in South Korea.
Jeff Weinerslav (@Bittthhhcuit)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Alexandre Carvalho and Renate Jungert!

On this day in F1

Ronnie Peterson won a subdued United States Grand Prix at Watkins Glen following the death of Francois Cevert the day before. The withdrawal of the Tyrrell following the death of their driver assured Lotus of the constructors’ championship.

James Hunt chased Peterson across the line, the pair covered by six-tenths of a second, with Carlos Ruetemann third.

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

187 comments on Hamilton ‘should be at the front with Alonso’

1. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 7th October 2013, 8:21

I’m not going to dissect every phrase and word that Hamilton said. Sometimes he speaks well, sometimes he doesn’t. But I agree, he and Alonso should be racing at the front. Someone should be racing at the front. Anyone should be racing at the front!

2. nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 7th October 2013, 8:39

It’s strange how people are living in dreams. Hamilton for example is living in a dream of Senna vs Prost (Him vs Alonso). Maybe Vettel is also living in a Schumacher’s dream but he make’s it happen in a real life as well. And while I consider that in a good day Hamilton is the fastest driver out there, when he opens his mouth everything falls down. I watched Hulkenberg while driving in lower categories and of course in F1 as well so I’m pretty sure that he also deserves to fight at front.

• Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 7th October 2013, 10:26

Grosjean’s away with the fairies, too, if he thinks Raikkonen should move over for him!
      I agree with Lewis that it was strange watching him and Alonso scrapping over 6th with this year’s McLaren (even if it was an artificial race closed up by safety cars) – but it’s a good for F1 how competitive it is between 2nd and 10th places…

• nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 7th October 2013, 20:16

Yeah I agree. I just don’t believe that next year we will see one second a gap between the 1st and the 17th in Q1. Such a shame!

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 7th October 2013, 13:47

LOL about “schumacher dreams” analogy .

3. Irritated by Hamilton’s latest comments, so he finds F! boring because Vettel keeps winning… bet if it was him that was winning all the races he would have a different attitude… it’s time he stopped with these comments and to my opinion lack of respect for other drivers… w

4. JS (@js) said on 7th October 2013, 11:37

Starts to be hard to tell which of Lewis’s comments is the worse… I, for one, watch (and go to, when I can) F1 races because I like to see the different ways of driving, I like to see drivers attacking and defending, hear the sound, see the cars, the mechanics etc.
    If one watches just to see who wins, then maybe the following could be an advice: save the time of watching, do something else instead and then read some news. The life will become about 2 hours longer every other week…

5. dodge5847 (@dodge5847) said on 7th October 2013, 12:15

Lewis’ comment:

Is spot on, I am a massive fan, but struggled to stay awake watching it live for the first 40 laps.

Sounds nasty, as Schumacher had huge tallent, but I enjoyed the season that he was out with a broken leg

• maarten.f1 (@maarten-f1) said on 7th October 2013, 16:01

I completely disagree with his comments. Yes, it’s boring if you only care about the winner and only watch to see who wins. But there was a lot more going on during the race, while maybe for the win it wasn’t all that exciting, what happened with the rest of the field was exciting.

Now, if they only showed a lot of Vettel during the race I might agree. But they hardly put him on camera, and if you found the rest boring, that’s not Vettel’s fault of course.

6. 68btyme (@steadyb) said on 7th October 2013, 15:46

I know that I’m about to get slaughtered here, as I’m reasong a ton of anti -Hamilton sentiment on this site. But I think what Hamilton, (and Alonso in previous statements are saying), is that the the way that the Pirelli tires are dropping off throughout the races, he can’t consistently run up front and challenge Seb. That being said, it seems as if Mercedes is constantly getting the set up totally wrong. He was getting smashed on the straights in Korea, as we’ll as Spa, when Seb just flew by him at the start. If they keep this up, it won’t matter that next year the cars will totally different if Mercedes will continue to blow it on strategy and set up. They will still loose out to red bull, lotus, and others.

7. 68btyme (@steadyb) said on 7th October 2013, 15:49

Reasong=reading

8. tmax (@tmax) said on 7th October 2013, 17:00

I am big fan of Lewis, but these comments were a bit out of Line. I mean he cannot think that he is entitled to race in front. Does that mean Nico Hulkenberg is a nobody ? The whole point of racing is that if you are good you should be able to overtake people. He would have been in the front if he had overtaken Nico which he could not do. Lewis was driving a Mercedes and Nico a Sauber . Lewis was on a superior machinery and as he quoted since he and Alonso are Superstars they should be in front given their better machinery !!! What stopped him from being there ????

9. Laine Baker (@bainelaker) said on 7th October 2013, 22:06

COTD picked up by Jalopnik!

10. I am going to start this by saying I am NOT a Vettel fan. However I must admire his achievements over the past 4 years, and to be quite honest I am getting bored of hearing Lewis Hamilton complaining that the racing is boring for fans. True fans of the sport watch it for more than who wins and are just getting annoyed with sore losers! At the end of the day Mr Hamilton its up to you and your team to beat him, it’s not seb’s problem that you and Mercedes have failed.

11. us-brian (@us-brian) said on 7th October 2013, 22:28

Just as others here, I enjoy watching every session live on TV or go to a race from time to time.
    Is Vettels dominance getting old? A little! But every era will eventually end. And then someone else will take over. Last year was great when we had a different winner each race for a while and the season went down to the last race.
    But in the end everybody knew the rules for the next season early enough. they knew the tires would be difficult to manage and still we hear cry babies. When you look at how everybody struggled with their tires a few years back and Button was able to manage his tires better than anyone else. Same as Saubers cars were good on the tires.
    This time around Vettel does it best.

12. Albert (@) said on 7th October 2013, 23:36

I’m going to quote @jonsan, who put it masterfully:

I can’t fault Hamilton for believing that. As a top F1 driver, he has to believe that he’s at least as good as (and hopefully better than) any other driver.

I can fault him for not shutting up about it though. (And I mean “not shutting up” – he seems simply incapable of giving an interview without moaning about Vettels car and how great he thinks it is) He comes across as petty, mean-spirited and jealous.

I think Hamilton is an amazing driver, but by God has he let his mouth run wild this last couple of months.

13. Emil said on 8th October 2013, 7:37

If Lewis wasn’t sleeping while Schumacher was winning, he might have learned something today.

14. karter22 (@karter22) said on 8th October 2013, 9:56

I find it terribly funny that the tyre explosion came from Perez… Wasn´t he the one that displayed great “nurturing” of his tyres several times before. Wasn´t he called the tyre whisperer? And now, he has them blow up on him!
    I agree with Mark, Pirelli really needs to get their act together. And I also agree with Hamilton. Battleing for 5th? Those tyres are CRAP!