F1 Fanatic Round-up
In the round-up: Ferrari director of engineering Pat Fry believes fuel will become the dominant factor in races with the new engines in 2014.
Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.
Fry: “It’s possible there could be considerable differences between the maximum pace possible and a pace aimed at saving energy and fuel, to the extent that there could be a difference of between one and one and a half seconds per lap in the race.”
“The new commercial pact signed between the teams and Ecclestone gives teams 63 per cent of the profits – $751.8 million (£468 million) last year – but it is estimated that 60 per cent of that money goes to the top five teams, with the next five sharing the other 40 per cent. Marussia, who finished 11th last year, only recently agreed a deal with Ecclestone and currently have no share of the revenues.”
“For years I was promised a sport that would cost less money. For me that’s a major failure of the sport. Nothing has got cheaper everything as got more expensive, so I’#m not sure what the benefits are to be honest.”
“We are going [to Japan] with confidence but what we are able to do is very difficult to assess right now. Last year, we were in a very different situation where our competitiveness was concerned.”
“David Ward has restated his commitment to good governance and open debate in a letter to FIA Club Presidents. David’s letter comes in response to criticism levelled at him by Carlos Barbosa, President of Automóvel Club de Portugal.”
“At the time Niki [Lauda] drove in to the pits to retire, James [Hunt] was leading. It was the right decision, and I’ll always respect Niki for making it, especially as the pressure on him to continue, not least from Ferrari and the Ferrari-mad Italian press, must have been intense.”
“The days when Stirling Moss, Juan Fangio and Jack Brabham duelled around the three-mile circuit may have gone, but thanks to our photo archive those evocative memories are not lost forever.”
My Japanese Grand Prix preview for Unibet.
— Caterham F1 Team (@MyCaterhamF1) October 9, 2013
— Tom Stallard (@Tom_Stallard) October 9, 2013
— INDIAN GRAND PRIX (@IndianGPF1) October 9, 2013
Ducati present “Senna” version of 1199 Panigale S exclusively for Brazil. Limited edition of 161 bikes only. pic.twitter.com/LuI212cE2c
— David James (@DJatDucati) October 8, 2013
- Find more official F1 accounts to follow in the F1 Twitter Directory
Comment of the day
@GeeMac doesn’t agree with Martin Whitmarsh’s desire to see a level playing field between engine manufacturers next year:
It is called “motorsport” for a reason Martin. I for one will be glad if there is a noticeable difference between the engines next season, because variety, whether in strategies or car characteristics, leads to interesting races for the viewers.
From the forum
No F1 Fanatic birthdays today
On this day in F1
Siegfried Stohr was born on this day in 1952. Unfortunately the most notable moment of the Italian driver’s brief F1 career came in the 1981 Belgian Grand Prix when he ploughed into the back of his team mate Riccardo Patrese’s car which had stalled at the start. Arrows mechanic Dave Luckett was sandwiched between the two and was fortunate to escape with his life.
Stohr stepped down for the team after failing to qualify in his home race at Monza later that year, though he had just posted a career-best finish of seventh in the previous race at Zandvoort.
Image © Renault