Maria de Villota found dead in hotel in Spain

2013 F1 season

Maria de VillotaMaria de Villota, the former Marussia test drive who lost an eye in a crash last year, has died.

De Villota was found dead in a hotel in Seville according to local reports.

The 33-year-old was critically injured while testing Marussia’s F1 car at Duxford Aerodrome last year. Following intensive surgery she made a recovery but her right eye could not be saved.

Following her accident and recovery De Villota, the daugher of former F1 driver Emilio de Villota, worked for the FIA’s Action for Road Safety project and had written an autobiography “Life is a Gift”.

F1 Fanatic extends its sincere sympathies to her family.

Readers are reminded given the sensitive nature of this story to refrain from posting speculation or unverified information.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

68 comments on Maria de Villota found dead in hotel in Spain

1. Oskar (@oskar) said on 11th October 2013, 9:31

RIP María de Villota.
    You´ll never be forgotten.

2. caci99 (@caci99) said on 11th October 2013, 9:32

Oh my! Very sad by this news. Rest in peace and condolences to her family and friends.

3. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 11th October 2013, 9:47

At least she did what she wanted in life.

4. Such a huge shock.. RIP Maria

5. overboost (@overboost) said on 11th October 2013, 10:02

I couldn’t believe it when I heard it this morning on the radio that someone so sympathetic, strong and courageous has left us.
    Thanks for working on the roads safety.
    R.I.P.

6. Ivan B (@njoydesign) said on 11th October 2013, 10:17

sad, very sad

RIP

7. ken (@kenke) said on 11th October 2013, 10:49

R……….I………..P :(

8. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 11th October 2013, 11:20

Tragic news. My condolences to Maria’s family, and may Maria herself rest in peace.

9. Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 11th October 2013, 11:34

RIP Maria De Villota

10. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 11th October 2013, 12:01

What ? shocking ! RIP . How old was she ?

11. karter22 (@karter22) said on 11th October 2013, 12:04

This is so sad to wake up to. I am shocked to say the least and I feel a great emptyness right now. This just makes you realize how short life is. If anything, Maria was an inspiration to anybody to move forward in adversity. She will be missed and send out my deepest sympathy and condolences to her family.
    It´s sad how good people get taken away and some others stay behind for a while…. it sucks but that´s life I guess. This is just too sad for me right now.

12. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 11th October 2013, 12:07

I really didn’t expect this, it’s really sad, especially at such a young age. My condolences to her family…

13. Diceman (@diceman) said on 11th October 2013, 12:30

Very sad news, I thought she was doing rather fine and enjoying her life. My deepest condolences to her family and friends.

14. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 11th October 2013, 12:49

Desperately sad news. First heard about it when they reported it on Sky this morning during the FP2 show, and everyone was very visibly choked up about it. After everything that happened, and all she overcame, it’s dreadful that her inspiring story would come to such a premature end.

The saddest thing is seeing all the ghoulish speculation from people commenting on the various news reports. Very unpleasant and disrespectful behaviour.

15. Mathers (@mathers) said on 11th October 2013, 13:26

Very sad news that I would never have expected, May you rest in peace Maria.