Rate the race: 2013 Japanese Grand Prix

2013 Japanese Grand Prix

Paul di Resta, Force India, Suzuka, 2013What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Japanese Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (6%)
  • 6 (9%)
  • 7 (29%)
  • 8 (32%)
  • 9 (14%)
  • 10 (6%)

Total Voters: 690

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Japanese Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Japanese Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Force India

200 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Japanese Grand Prix

1. Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 13th October 2013, 8:43

Rated 9 – A pass to win finally for Seb. Saved the tyres when needed and pushed when told. Not the best exhibition of racing but still got the job done. Plenty of action throughout the race. Only notable absentee was Hamilton.

2. Bosley (@bosley) said on 13th October 2013, 8:44

Guttierez outdrove Hulkeburg today.

3. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 13th October 2013, 8:44

That was pretty good. Nice mix of strategies at the front, it was good to have a genuine battle for the lead involving different strategies and teams. Same result though, even Vettel’s strongest detractors have got to hand it to him, he is the best driver in the field at the moment.

4. A solid 8 in my opinion — VET as usual managed it perfectly. A little disappointed by WEB. He clearly couldn’t do what VET to GRO on older tyres. That ultimately deprived us of the final battle! #Shame

5. Haven’t seen such a scruffy drive(bad start, lots of lock-ups in the chicane) from Vettel in a long time yet he still won. Someone should call George Lucas and tell him we need ‘A new hope’ for next year. :D

6. Paul Crich (@) said on 13th October 2013, 8:46

1 from me, switched off after lap 7 when the radio messages were asking them to pull back and save tyres. This is no longer formula 1 and I won’t watching any more. Been a fan for over 30 years, but enough is enough.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 13th October 2013, 8:54

@paulcrich Sorry to hear that – I hope you give it another shot in 2014, with better tyres.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 13th October 2013, 8:54

• PaulT (@pault) said on 13th October 2013, 11:40

@paulcrich I’m also sorry to hear that – I have followed and been a fan of F1 for 36 years, and while I don’t like the artificiality of DRS and deliberately degradable tyres, my passion for the sport is undiminished from when I first started following it. To me, F1 is (and always has been) all about incredibly fast cars, amazing technology, clever strategies and of course the world’s best drivers.

Never in those 36 years have I switched off the TV, because there has always been either speed, technology, strategy or driver brilliance to marvel at.

• Paul Crich (@) said on 14th October 2013, 7:57

@pault I agree with everything you say and yes these are the fundamentals of F1. But what is the point of having the speed and the technology to build the perfect race car and then not be able to race it to its full potential? All in the name of ‘entertainment’

I just want to see how well these cars can go, not restrict them to saving tyres and overtaking with help. I want to feel the adrenaline and the excitement of flat out nose to tail racing right up to the finish. This is what I loved about the sport, and sadly without that I think that modern day f1 is completely missing the plot.

7. David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 13th October 2013, 8:46

Grosjean’s defense against Webber made it anti-climactic but we can’t fault him, he was entitled to defend his position… besides if Vettel easily breezed past Grosjean why did Webber take several laps to do it? I gave it an 8/10 mostly because of Grosjean, he was the only driver capable of challenging the Red Bulls, which is very commendable given the ~30 second gap to Alonso in 4th and especially his own teammate, Raikkonen in 5th.

• Kimi4WDC said on 13th October 2013, 10:24

Nothing to take away from his blistering start, apart from that he only lost positions after having enjoying the free air. While both Kimi and Fernando showed their worth.

What I liked is how Alonso was quick to react to Raikkonen’s charge and step his pace up in order to overtake Hulkenberg before Kimi had a go on him.

• David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 13th October 2013, 10:37

Given that the Red Bulls are over 30 seconds ahead of everyone else, it is pretty impressive for Grosjean to be able to challenge them at all in the first place. Besides, the benefit of clear air for Grosjean was only because he qualified much better than Raikkonen. Grosjean is outperforming the Lotus and/or Raikkonen is underperforming in qualifying, likewise for Alonso. Either way, it doesn’t look good on both Alonso and Raikkonen who need to step up their game in qualifying.

8. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 13th October 2013, 8:48

The people who rated Korea 7 or 8 look pretty silly now. This was what an F1 race should be like. A decent battle for the win, some good racing up and down the field, and it wasn’t clear who would win until 5 or 6 laps from the end. A solid 7 from me.

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 13th October 2013, 9:09

I actually thought Korea was better. Gave this a 6, Korea a 7, and don’t feel silly at all.

That’s why I always base my scorings on ‘overall’ rather than this season or the last race or two.

This race promised so much more after lap one, and for me, didn’t quite deliver it’s ultimate potential.

Korea didn’t promise a lot, but came through as quite a good little race!

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 13th October 2013, 10:53

@red-andy Korea was better , the scrap at the end was more engaging to watch than the strategy battle we had today . We had mayhem , safety cars , a lot . Today was a bit more boring as we knew all along that RBR were slightly quicker . Had the Lotus stopped one less time( I know it was not possible ) , it would have been EPIC . Lot of tyre conservation going around did not help either in the mid stage of the race . There was some action with the Mclarens and the Torro rosso , but still not sustained for more than 2-3 laps . One more problem is that the broadcasters did not show too much of the midfield action at all , with brundle having to check to make sure whom he was talking about as he wasn’t even aware previously of the many possible scraps .

9. EstF1 (@estf1) said on 13th October 2013, 8:50

7/10 It wasn’t a boring race, but if Kimi & Grosjean were higher, I would’ve given it a 8/10

10. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 13th October 2013, 8:50

That was a really entertaining race. The best race since the mid term break.
    Great strategy, and great racing.

11. Anele (@anele-mbethe) said on 13th October 2013, 8:50

8/10 brilliant strategic race from vettel. watching Grosjean grow as a driver is a great sight indeed. A genuine three way battle for the lead…what more can I ask for

12. ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 13th October 2013, 8:50

6 for me.

Didn’t really pan out quite as planned, did it? Was disappointed to see Grosjean’s pace slip in the later stages, which robbed us of a real battle for 1st. I atleast wanted to see Vettel have to fight (like Webber) for position, but full credit to him. He just did his fight when he was out on his own and put in some good times.

Grosjean effectively killed any chance of a colossal Red Bull battle for the lead, another battle I was really interested in seeing.

The racing this year definitely has some very dull sections. Not too keen on this anti-racing malarky when it comes to having to drop 2 seconds behind to conserve rubber. I know it all ends up unfolding, but it’s a shame that no one’s allowed to chase until the final ten or so laps.

13. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 13th October 2013, 8:52

So Glad that Gutierrez got his first points and that we got a fight for the lead but were some dull parts to the race and also a bit of action in the midfield again but overall 8/10.

14. Trido (@trido) said on 13th October 2013, 8:53

It isn’t his fault, but my god I am so utterly sick and tired of Vettel winning. Bring on the hope of closer racing next year and consign this year to the doldrums like it and the others of its ilk (2001, 2002, 2004 and 2011) deserves.

15. Hyoko said on 13th October 2013, 8:53

Mark Webber should have won this one. Or at least, if Mark could have made a faster job overtaking Romain we could have seen a real fight in the end. Well, even if the booee won at last the race improved immensely when it was not a foregone conclusion from turn 1. Well done also for Gutierrez, Hulkenberg and Alonso. Did RBR really need to screw up Mark’s strategy?

• David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 13th October 2013, 8:59

They didn’t, Webber was having more problems with tyre management than Vettel and had to switch to a 3-stop. Even then, he could have still won but he couldn’t get past Grosjean as easily as Vettel and that effectively ended his hopes of winning.

• Mr win or lose said on 13th October 2013, 11:13

But what if Webber had done only two stops? He had a 15-second lead and it seemed that Vettel was not even a second per lap quicker. So I thought it was his best chance to win the race.

• David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 13th October 2013, 11:52

Yes, do 2 stops and then your tyres fall apart and you lose about 3 seconds a lap… there’s a reason 3-stop strategies exist you know, especially for those who can’t manage their tyres as well.

• Mads (@mads) said on 13th October 2013, 18:01

Then he would have dropped like a rock towards the end of the race.
          And what would a 2 stop strategy have done to help him, had he actually had the tyres to do it?
          With Grosjean ahead, a 2 stop strategy would have meant that he would have had to overtake Grosjean on similar tyres.
          Which is quite unlikely when it took him 7′ish laps to do it on new options, against Grosjean’s old primes.