Rate the race: 2013 Japanese Grand Prix

2013 Japanese Grand Prix

Paul di Resta, Force India, Suzuka, 2013What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Japanese Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (6%)
  • 6 (9%)
  • 7 (29%)
  • 8 (32%)
  • 9 (14%)
  • 10 (6%)

Total Voters: 690

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Japanese Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Japanese Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Force India

200 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Japanese Grand Prix

1. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 13th October 2013, 8:56

Good race. 7.
    But the result was predictable after Grosjean stoped.

2. tmax (@tmax) said on 13th October 2013, 8:57

Good Race Good Strategy… Sad to see Lewis Drop out early in the race. Could have been a little spicy with him in between Roman and the Bulls…..

3. PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 13th October 2013, 8:58

Solid 7/10 for this race for me, had some good battles, but still far too much tyre management, a lot of it didn’t feel like proper racing, though occasionally the tyres did give some good train battles. They say you should take the good with the bad, but these tyres are more bad than good. One of the best strategy races though.

4. Very good race. It was an interesting strategic battle between the top three, up until the last stop it was very difficult to predict who was going to win.
    The battle for P4 was awesome as well.

I think that’s the kind of strategic race Pirelli was asked to do. Different strategies and some overtakings on track. Not a classic by any means, but still a solid race.

5. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 13th October 2013, 9:09

4/10 . It seems a bit harsh but it was too boring for me . Most of the passes were DRS passes and nothing exciting going around . There was a virtual battle for the lead , but once Vettel had fresher tyres , it was obvious that he was going to hunt Romain down . Seb drove a so-so race , but picked up the sticks very well after his start to maximize his car’s performance and finally overtake Grosjean . But , again , we were denied the most expected battle . As for the midfield , some good battles going on there , but no on-boards of them in the broadcast. Instead , we were seeing Mark webber closing in on the lotus . there was also a big gap between 3rd and 4th that actually dimmed the excitement out. I am surprised a majority of people gave it a 7 . The track is iconic , the cars are super fast , the drivers are fantastic , but the race , no , for me it was pedestrian .

• ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 13th October 2013, 9:11

I actually thought the DRS was nearly spot on in this race, and i’m not a DRS fan, for sure.

It created an opportunity, but drivers 80% of the time could seem to defend, at least. That’s all I ask for.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 13th October 2013, 9:28

+1.

Maybe @hamilfan is a bit frustrated a certain driver was forced to retire from this one?! Objectively I can’t see how this race can be a 4, but to each their own.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 13th October 2013, 10:11

@roberto No I am not frustrated at all , it was a racing incident and no one is to blame . I did not factor that into my rate the race . There have been races in which Hamilton has retired which have been spectacular , say , for example Brazil 2012 . Besides , the thing that makes this race boring is the fact that RBR has a lot of pace in their bag to unleash whenever necessary . Not even a great defense by Grosjean was enough to thwart the Red Bulls. Agreed that there was a battle for the lead , but it was not as exciting as the midfield battle in the closing stages of Korea.

6. andae23 (@andae23) said on 13th October 2013, 9:20

7/10 – Again I have to say, this was a good race… for 2013 standards. The battle for the lead was a charade: during the first stint, it was a matter of maintaining the gap and looking after the tyres. In the second stint, it became apparent how much better Red Bull was. Vettel just breezed past Grosjean, while Webber did the same, with a little bit more effort. It looked exciting, but it really wasn’t.

There were a lot of passes, too bad most of them DRS-assisted, but thankfully there were others too: Raikkonen on Hulkenberg round the outside of the chicane was great, as were some into 130R.

So a good race, but it felt more like a smoke screen than an actual race

7. Rigi (@rigi) said on 13th October 2013, 9:22

8/10

good race. the red bulls are unbeatable. astonishing drive from grosjean. glad for gutierrez to finally score points.

to those that say grosjean denied a battle for third; please be reasonable and think for a second! do you expect him to move out of the way so we can have a battle for the lead? he’s driving for himself and wants to fight for positions. you cannot expect ANY racing driver to move out of the way (if they’re fighting for position) to give the race some extra spice. grosjean has to perform like this, he has to prove his skills if he wants to stay in the sport.

8. Roberto (@roberto) said on 13th October 2013, 9:25

9 out of 10 for me. Pretty gripping race. Would’ve been a 10 if Webber had given us a fight for the lead.

9. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 13th October 2013, 9:42

8/10. Simply because that’s where I think the race should be.

It might not be remembered as an all-time classic, but the mere doubt that Vettel would have to work for the win was enough to keep the excitement. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge Vettel fan, but his best races have been where he’s had to fight for it (Whether he’s won or lost) and he certainly had a challenge on his hands.

However, I did feel DRS was a bit too strong in the race today. Very few overtakes happened outside the DRS zone, but maybe that’s the drivers who should be looking to attack elsewhere (I know a few had a go at 130R). Tyres might have been fragile as some have said, but if they were completely flat-out, then we wouldn’t have had Grosjean being anywhere near the Red Bulls, and Webber wouldn’t have been near Vettel either. Having to limit the tyres is the best way of keeping the pack together (And can also allow strategy to have drivers build gaps should it be needed e.g Vettel Singapore)

Tight racing all down the field, a few surprising results in Grosjean and Gutierrez (Both of whom have long been deserving this) and some lovely tactical decisions resulting in a decent race

10. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 13th October 2013, 9:44

8/10 for me, great action everywhere in the field, Suzuka lives up to its reputation and provides some action in borefest that the second half of the season has become. This race had all sorts of overtakes DRS, non-DRS, KERS, slipstreaming up to 130R, ballsy overtakes into turn 1. I was really enjoying myself until Vettels strategy came to me and I realised he’d win easily ;-).

However as much as I like this race I am now seriously starting to thinks about skipping the last races (I can’t believe that I’m considering this after a non-stop steak starting at Australia 2000) . Just because there is no doubt Vettel will blitz India, get revenge for net getting first dibs at Austin, Abu Dhabi is basically a walk in the park and in Brazil RB will give Webber another ‘golden’ gearbox treatment like in 2011. I would lie if I said I’m so done with this season.

Yet there are some fights still left that could lure me into watching. Hulkenbergs revival is sure to have more action from him + his teammate finally seems fired up. Toro Rosso hoping they can hit back at Sauber. Grosjean desperately wanting that first win. The fight for second in the constructors between Ferrari, Mercedes and Lotus.

Has 2013 anything left of worth…

11. Solid Seven. If Webber had won I’d have given a 9, cuz Hamilton retiring takes all the fun out of a race.

12. David not Coulthard (@) said on 13th October 2013, 10:13

Went for 6/10, which wasn’t a mistake at first, but I almost immediatly regretted not clicking on 7.

While as a Vettel fan I’m happy about Weber being held up by Romain……..a battle of Red Bulls would’ve been fun.

13. F1sauber (@f1sauber) said on 13th October 2013, 10:14

Again Sauber did very well, pity to have lost out the 4th position but everyone has seen how good Hulkenberg is and what a tremendous potential he has to drive top cars! Finally Gutierrez made it to the points, well done for Sauber again.
    Hulk should have gone to Ferrari, hope he can get a Lotus seat and beat Kimi next year! That would make him smile!

14. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 13th October 2013, 10:17

7 for me.

Decent racing all down the field and we finally had a battle for the lead for the first time in a while. However I was a bit annoyed about the tyre saving the top 3 had to do and also how the DRS prevent drivers from overtaking at the chicane.

15. marcus (@wombat1m) said on 13th October 2013, 10:40

Gave it a 8/10. A great strategic race at the front and some good battles mid-field as well. Only shame was it wan’t earlier in the season, so last bit was somewhat anti-climatic. But taken on its own a really good race on a great track. Just wish that like last year I was actually there. Maybe next year if I start saving my pennies…