Rate the race: 2013 Japanese Grand Prix

2013 Japanese Grand Prix

Paul di Resta, Force India, Suzuka, 2013What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Japanese Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (6%)
  • 6 (9%)
  • 7 (29%)
  • 8 (32%)
  • 9 (14%)
  • 10 (6%)

Total Voters: 690

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Japanese Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Japanese Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Force India

200 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Japanese Grand Prix

1. FERNANDO123 (@fernando123) said on 13th October 2013, 16:53

GUTIERREZ !

2. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 13th October 2013, 17:41

I gave it a 7. There was plenty of action through the field but I found as the race went on, and it looked less and less likely Grosjean was going to perform a surprise victory that my excitement waned. Great battle with Webber at the end though.

3. obviously said on 13th October 2013, 17:43

I have always defended Massa, but now I must say, him and Webber can’t retire soon enough. They are pathetic. Webber perhaps doesn’t appear that pathetic since he is in the best car that is also much easier to drive than Ferrari, but he actually is. He has less podiums than Vettel has wins! Not to mention that he hasn’t won a single race, compared to Vettel’s nine!
    Massa on the other hand is now not only slower, but completely useless and even damaging to Ferrari, now that he is “driving for himself”. I mean, last season, he didn’t do any better than this, but at least he didn’t hinder Alonso in scoring some points for the team.
    Today, he was just a road block for Alonso, which ensured that their WCC rival Rosberg opened a gap and than made it possible for Hulkenberg to catch them both and jump them in the pits. Then, when Alonso finally passed him, and when he couldn’t do more harm but slowing down Alonso, he made sure he threw away as many points as possible by stuffing his race and coming 10th!
    It’s almost unbelievable that Massa was asked every year since his return to pick up his pace, and yet, he was actually worse and worse every year! I mean, even 2010 wasn’t up the Ferrari standards and yet he managed to get progressively worse every subsequent year.
    Massa and Webber really need to go. I have liked both drivers but lately they’ve been moaning so much about their teams, and yet, they did nothing to actually deserve their places in their respective teams any more in the first place.

4. Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 13th October 2013, 18:36

9. Tires and DRS not ridiculous, different strategies, fights for all positions. No safety car so no random losers and winners. Gap between 3rd and 4th was a bit large so podium was decided very early.

5. Nick (@npf1) said on 13th October 2013, 18:38

I see I gave it a 9, but I think my sausage fingers slipped on my mobile screen. Meant to give it an 8.

It was interesting to follow all race long; either because there was racing going on, or because there were strategic battles to keep up with. It’s been a long time since a race kept my attention throughout, although I had to admit my interest took a nosedive when Vettel came out in front of Grosjean and when Webber overtook him. Nothing but respect for Vettel, Webber and Red Bull today, but I’ve been rooting for Grosjean ever since he debuted in the middle of 2009 and managed to find his way back to F1 after showing his worth in GP2 (again) and really thought this could be it. Race itself didn’t suffer from it, though.

Glad to see Gutierrez grab some points as well, he looks as if he’s an entirely different driver to where he was before the summer break. Force India ought to look worried.

6. QuadQuantum (@quadquantum) said on 13th October 2013, 19:29

Some great mid field action, a brilliant battle for the lead with mixed 2 vs. 3 stop strategies and all around a classic GP track. I would have loved to see either Webber or Grosjean win, but still a very entertaining afternoon of racing. 9/10

7. jpowell (@jpowell) said on 13th October 2013, 19:56

6/10 A great start from Grosjean and even though Lewis retired so quickly it did look as though we had the chance of a real contest for the race win.But as the race unfolded the inevitable came to pass in more ways than one. Once again tyre conservation and the effect of aero-turbulance were the deciding factors. The total confidence of the message to Vettel about hunting down Grosjean said it all.

8. Fixy (@fixy) said on 13th October 2013, 19:59

8/10
    Really enjoyed the race, would have given it an 8.5 were it available. Different strategies, various battles and unexpected results, although a Grosjean win would have boosted the rating. I thought it was obvious from after the first dozen laps that Grosejan wasn’t going to win but it was probably just an idea, as he defended very well and at one point I thought he was going to keep Webber behind. Gutierrez and Hulkenberg made it even more bizarre even though the latter eventually fell behind Alonso and Raikkonen, only just missing out on a repeat of his great performance of Korea. Very eventful race which kept its level of interest from the start to the finish and not, like previous races, only for half of it.

9. magon4 (@magon4) said on 13th October 2013, 20:10

What Vettel makes look easy (passing Grosjean with a new set of hard tyres), Webber struggles to do (with a new set of medium tyres!).
    We should stop being bored by how easy it looks, and start to admire exactly that. This is a grown Vettel from his 2010 days, where he was fast, but not as neat.

10. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 13th October 2013, 20:35

Not sure how other people rate races, but from the looks of it some are far more generous in their ratings than me. I have been a Formula 1 fan since the 60s and maybe my standards are different due to that.

My ratings are as such:

10 – The absolute best race ever seen. Probably a one off occurrence in a lifetime.
    9 – Next to the best race ever, an extremely rare occurrence, maybe several in a lifetime.
    8 – Still one of the best races ever. Maybe once every several seasons, not common.
    7 – A superb race with great racing taking place throughout a race and at least one or more uncommon epic occurrences, challenges, battles.
    6 – A very good race with good action levels or at at least one consistent and important racing story line.
    5 – An average race, not great, not terrible.
    4 – Less than average race without a great amount of action or racing story lines to hold our interest.
    3 – A boring race, perhaps processional with very little action, a snooze-fest.
    2 – Worse than a snooze-fest, a real clinker that makes you wonder why you bothered.
    1 – The single absolute worst race ever. I might possibly rate a race with a senseless tragedy of some kind this low, God forbid. Hopefully only a once in a lifetime occurrence. A race with no redeeming value whatsoever.

For what it’s worth, take it or leave it.

11. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th October 2013, 20:43

7/10

I liked the race for the most part. I think this really what Pirelli have always been aiming for: races where teams and drivers can pick a strategy and make it work, but switch to another strategy with ease and make it work just as well. So even when the drivers weren’t pushing at 100%, it was nice knowing that they had that little extra that they could get to make a strategy work.

I did, however, take two points off. Firstly, I was massively disappointed for Romain Grosjean. He’s had a total turn-around in form, losing his impetuousness without giving up on speed, and he’s been out-performing Raikkonen and making it look easy. After his race start, I felt he really deserved to win.

Secondly, I was left with a really sour taste in my mouth when Vettel requested team orders. He’s shown a refusal to observe them in the past, and the key defence of this is that he is a racing driver and cannot ignore an opportunity. So to ask for team orders was a bit of a slap in the face. And since he didn’t need them – not because Webber got caught behind Grosjean, but because he has total control over the championship and second place in the race would not jeopardise his position at all – was a slap across the other cheek. If people want to know why the fans don’t respect Vettel, this is a perfect example of why.

12. anonymouscoward (@anonymouscoward) said on 13th October 2013, 20:58

@keithcollantine with all the stats and data you are amassing I am wondering if there if any correlation about what makes for high ratings. E.g. Number if overtakes etc. have you ever taken a look?

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 13th October 2013, 21:18

@anonymouscoward – My approach to rating each race is a more organic experience than analytical. I just know it when I see it. For example, the 2013 Grand Prix of Japan I rated about 6.5. I rounded up to 7 based on the fact that there were many good racing stories during the race and fairly consistent action throughout. It is hard to quantify statistically. One reason I put up the post with my rating system (if you can call it that) was the inspiration of so many people rating the race as a 10. It was about 7% when I posted. It was a decent race. Certainly not the best race I’ve ever seen or ever hope to see.

• anonymouscoward (@anonymouscoward) said on 13th October 2013, 22:19

@bullmello I hear you but there must be something in what you are seeing and wondered if Keith had enough data to work out what the consensus of what makes it good. He could also then sell this to Bernie for meeeelllllions and we get more of what we want. Not exploding tyres and push to pass…..

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 14th October 2013, 3:07

We can always hope. I’m shocked that at this time 9% of voters rating this race have voted it a 10. That is 54 out of 601 people voting. 54 people have essentially said this is the best race they will ever see. Wow.

• anonymouscoward (@anonymouscoward) said on 14th October 2013, 6:19

@bullmello while personally I mostly agree with with your scale another way of looking at it perhaps might be…”10- had everything in the race I need to keep getting my bum out of bed at 5 am in the morning after a night out on the sauce to watch some men go round and round a piece of road”

13. Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 13th October 2013, 21:32

I’ll take a punt that the same people who are complaining about Vettle winning every race are the same people who were complaining about having 6 different winners in 6 races at the beginning of last year (or was it 7- you get the drift anyway). I recall the comments of how mixed up and perverse it was that someone wasn’t leading the field. I like Vettle even though he’s thrashing my man Mark. Good race yesterday, really enjoyed it.

14. Dane. (@dane-1) said on 13th October 2013, 22:16

The last 30 laps of Bathurst were more exciting than all of Suzuka, imo

15. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 13th October 2013, 23:57

Great race… easily my favourite track of all time.