Massa unhappy with Ferrari team orders

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Suzuka, 2013In the round-up: Felipe Massa says he was unhappy at being told to let Fernando Alonso past during the Japanese Grand Prix after refusing to comply with the order.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Ferrari lets Massa’s snub slide (ESPN)

“It was an instruction. I am never happy with an instruction.”

Alonso downplays team orders row (Autosport)

“We cannot make a big thing about this. We are racing and whatever we do today, we finished more or less in the same positions because we could not achieve anything more.”

Hulkenberg denies signing 2014 deal (Sky)

“I’m sure it will happen in the next couple of weeks, I’m confident we will get something sorted.”

Alonso concedes F1 title to rival Vettel (BBC)

“Even if Vettel doesn’t finish all of the races I need to win nearly all, so it’s a matter of time.”

Hamilton rues luck as Vettel closes in on title (The Guardian)

“The floor was destroyed. I was two seconds down per lap. The car was pulling to the right.”

Don’t criticise Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull for doing their jobs (The Guardian)

Christian Horner: “So many times the drivers talk about what they want from the car, rather than trying to understand the car. Sebastian is able to adjust, to understand what the car needs to go quick.”

Lotus investor Infinity changes name to Quantum (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“Lotus F1 investor Infinity Racing Partners has changed its name to avoid the unfortunate clash with Infiniti Red Bull Racing.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Max Jacobson is pleased to see Massa stick up for himself:

I admire Massa?s defiance immensely. Even if it was ultimately pointless, it shows he?s not simply Alonso’s whipping boy ?ǣ that can only be a good thing!
Max Jacobson (@Vettel1)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Magnificent Geoffrey and Pablopete80!

On this day in F1

Mika Hakkinen started his final F1 race on this day in 2001 at Suzuka. At the time it was billed as the beginning of a sabbatical, but there was little surprise the following year when he confirmed he wasn’t returning.

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

113 comments on Massa unhappy with Ferrari team orders

1. some peoples said that Seb wins were a newey’s factor…. some peoples said that alonso is the greatest driver ……but they forget, some of alonso’s wins were TO’s factor

2. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 14th October 2013, 7:33

Who are we to say how an F1 team should manage their drivers? If you support a driver that is affected adversely by a team order, then I understand why you would weigh in, however, Vettel/Alonso fans weighing in on whether it is right or wrong to have team orders are looking at it from possibly a very rosey coloured glasses view.
    Essentially F1 is becoming so expensive, and they pay top $$$ for not only their #1 driver but sometimes even a #2 driver (obviously not talking about drivers who pay their way) isn’t it the teams right to dictate how to to get the most out of their resources?

3. BasCB (@bascb) said on 14th October 2013, 7:42

Happy birthday @Magnificent-Geoffrey and @Pablopete80, enjoy it.

4. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 14th October 2013, 8:07

“It was an instruction. I am never happy with an instruction.”

COTD!

You said and denied this statement too late my friend. If you would’ve done earlier in 2010, you had a better career prospect n comparison atleast.

5. WarfieldF1 (@warfieldf1) said on 14th October 2013, 8:51

NOW is not the time to ignore a team order/instruction. It shows Massa to be a petulant brat in a huff by refusing to play ball a few races from the end of the season and after he knows he is going.
    He seems to think it shows him as strong and his own man; but it shows him actually as petty and pathetic and very much not the “bigger man”; doing something now that he is already leaving, that maybe he should have done a long time ago; and he decides to do it when his team mate is really the only one with mathematical chance of spoiling Vettels year!!

I wasnt particularly chuffed with Vettlel ignoring tream orders this year, but at least he just did it regardless of the consequences and early enough in the year to make little difference to his (weaker) team mate.

I cannot quite understand why massa is so p’ed off, he has had a good run at Ferrari, almost won a WDC, was allowed to convalesce and resume his seat and has showed nothing like his pre accident form since.
    He should be savouring his last few races in this iconic team instead of sulking.

• kpcart said on 14th October 2013, 13:20

what has the team to gain from the team order now?? what has massa to gain?? nothing in both cases, so that is why he ignored, not because he is a “petulant brat in a huff”‘. in previous cases he had to obey because it was his contract, now his contract expired and Alonso has no chance at the title… what would you do in the situation?

6. Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 14th October 2013, 9:33

Don’t know exactly what to say, I’m kinda sorry for him, but he got what he offered. The car is not good, I know, but Alonso is 2nd in the standings and has more than twice points than him (again !), while he’s in 7th position. His contribution in the team not only is minimal, but he makes a fuss for being told to make room for his team mate, although they were fighting for 5th. He’s out of the team anyway, so in my opinion he should keep his mouth shut, obey orders and keep good relations with the team. He might find something to do at Ferrari after his F1 career will be over.

7. I really wish they would use again “Fernando is faster than you”. This way all the websites, forums, newspapers would have stories for at least the next two weeks.

Regarding Massa all I can say is “less talk and more action”. All this “I am a bad boy” and then doing nothing in the race is… actually this is Massa. I really hope he will not do anything incredible stupid in the last races.

8. kpcart said on 14th October 2013, 12:36

Team orders have their place, and the drivers should listen to them… but in this case, come-on, seriously? what are Ferrari doing? Alonso has no chance at the title, Ferrari conceded the championship during the past week, they have an outgoing loyal servant of the team of many years, what are they doing? trying to give Massa a kick in the guts for goodbyes? let them race.
    And what of Vettel telling his team on the radio to keep webber away from him? this coming after his ignoring of team orders… shows who is boss at redbull, Vettel and not Horner et al.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 14th October 2013, 13:48

Don’t start inventing things. Vettel asked for Perez to be shown blue flags when he was about to lap him.

9. barkun (@barkun) said on 14th October 2013, 12:51

Massa must have thought “what would Kimi do in my situation?”
    …cant wait for 2014 ! :)

10. Neil (@neilosjames) said on 14th October 2013, 13:38

Funny how they used a meaningless code, but the first (and only) thing I thought when I heard that was ‘Multifunction *cough* Fernando is faster than you *cough* Strategy A’.

Should have let him through. I don’t agree with a driver giving up a victory on team orders unless it’s absolutely critical to their team-mate’s title hopes (and even then I don’t like it), but giving up 5th is a different matter.

11. Robbie said on 14th October 2013, 20:36

@celeste I disagree that FM has never complained about the Ferrari way. He did exactly that after Hockenheim 2010, much to many people’s delight. And he also re-signed with them after that, so what are people to think? As to why Ferrari would give a team order at this point? Their answer to that would likely be…why not? FA has earned and is the one rooster this year and FM is leaving so I don’t see any surprise here. If it made no difference in the WCC then why wouldn’t they rather FA have the points? He’s their man going forward, not FM, so I find the order ‘Fernando hold station’ almost unimaginable.

12. aka_robyn said on 15th October 2013, 2:24

I think it was a bit of a no-win situation for Massa (figuratively speaking). If Hockenheim 2010 was any indication, following team orders would have led to him being pilloried in the Brazilian press for still being Alonso’s lap dog, offset only by approval from a team that has already given him the boot. Disobeying team orders would lead to…well, exactly what you’re seeing now. Some accusations of disloyalty, some ridicule for not doing it three years ago — but also some applause, and also the opportunity to race, whatever the outcome. Given those two options, I know what I’d choose.