Honda releases audio sample of 2015 engine noise

2015 F1 season

Honda has given a foretaste of what its V6 turbo engine will sound like when it makes its Formula One comeback with McLaren in 2015.

The Japanese engine manufacturer has released a sample audio clip of its engine being revved.

Honda will base its European racing operations at Milton Keynes and begin work there in June next year.

Honda Motor Europe president Manabu Nishimae said: “It?s exciting to hear the cry of our new born Formula One engine for the first time.”

“Our engineers are working hard to develop the engine and we are all looking forward to the start of the 2015 season.”

Mercedes earlier gave a preview of the sound of their engine built to the new-for-2014 rules.

2015 F1 season

Browse all 2015 F1 season articles

65 comments on Honda releases audio sample of 2015 engine noise

1. Alexander (@alexanderfin) said on 18th October 2013, 15:30

Better than expected. And will be even better in the real world.

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 18th October 2013, 18:26

Sounds like a hoover. It’s ‘better than expected’, sure. Doesn’t mean its any good though. What we have now is awful, this is worse.

• nackavich (@nackavich) said on 18th October 2013, 23:37

I’m sitting at the end of pit straight next year in Melbourne so I’ll let you know!
      I kind of like it, sounds like the early 90′s Turbo era a little bit, but with a bit less “oomph”. I’m guessing it will be similar to the early 00′s Indy Cars – they weren’t as loud as F1 and tonally you could hear the difference in the engines.

• Yes but I think we were slowly used to the decrease of cylinder in f1, I certainly don’t like the current ones so this sounds ok but the V12 of the 412T2 is amazing and so were all of the subsequent V10s and also the downshift sounds that were very mechanical.

2. Roald (@roald) said on 18th October 2013, 15:37

Like I said in the topic I made about it in the forums here, sounds great! Better than the current V8 engines, which produce a pretty terrible sound in my opinion. The only reason people like the sound of the V8 is because it is LOUD. I have a hard time believing anyone saying they really think the rev-limited V8 sounds beautiful. I really like the V6, sounds like a proper engine again!

• stefano (@alfa145) said on 18th October 2013, 17:28

Have you ever attended a f1 event in recent years?

• Roald (@roald) said on 18th October 2013, 19:47

@alfa145 Been to Spa in August. So? It was amazing and hearing how loud the engines actually are was amazing, the sheer volume just can not be experienced if you haven’t attended a race live. However, it’s not a beautiful sound. Unlike the V10, which almost had a melody to it.

• stefano (@alfa145) said on 18th October 2013, 20:58

good point, until you say thr v6 sounds better to you, more like an engine.. I don’t get that, the v8 are still crazy stuff, the noise is still insane, still f1 territory. with this v6 don’t you think f1 is going backwards to earth even more, after dropping v10 and v12? I mean, becoming too normal instead of remaining pure crazyness, the most sublime extreme and pure form of motorsport?

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 19th October 2013, 10:09

@alfa145 the problem with the perpetuation of thought is the general assumption that anything smaller than 10 cylinders is sacrilege in F1, V6′s can be crazy too. The issue that many people have is that bigger is better for one, and that if bigger were allowed some how the FIA wouldn’t Sterilize those configurations like they’ve done with the V8 and V6t already.

Also it’s sad that people see this as a step backwards, why? Formula is suppose to have some real world advancement and it could with the regulations they are soon to impose for the next few years, but probably not on the level LM is going to be at next year alone.

• Carlitox (@carlitox) said on 18th October 2013, 18:06

Many would kill me for saying this, but I reckon this would sound better if it was topped at 12k RPM. A high-pitched turbo is not very nice, IMO. Still I agree, it is quite better than what we have now, but waaaaay behind V10s. Not to mention V12s, heh.

3. Dizzy said on 18th October 2013, 15:50

Is it the current V8′s?
    V10s?
    V12′s?
    The various turbo configurations from the 80s?
    The Ford DFV of the 70s?
    The 1.5ltr engines of the 60s?
    The Supercharged engine’s of the Pre-war era?
    The H16 BRM?

The F1 engine regulations have changed a dozen times over the years, There has been hundreds…If not thousands of different sounds over that time so exactly which one is what an F1 car should sound like, How exactly should a race engine sound?

The new power units sound fine to me, They sound racey enough & will no doubt be fast, powerful & produce good & exciting racing & that is what a race engine should do.

• javlinsharp (@javlinsharp) said on 18th October 2013, 17:02

I see your point, that and F1 engine has never sounded like one thing, and agree that there is an uptick in the shrill whine about the death of the legacy, and hate for all things new.

I cannot, however, say that the new engine sound has filled me with excitement like the banshee tone of a V12, the rending of time and space invoked by the Turbo’s of the 80s, nor the earth shattering rumble of the Supercharged Pre-war designs.

This new one is not a sound that imparts a vision of power. To me, it is more of a hairdryer with a variable switch, a playing card stuck in the exercise wheel of a lab rat in a cocaine experiment, entirely too much like a shrill whine.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 18th October 2013, 19:20

The BRM 16cyl was nasty. But I don’t mind this sound… Also the sound is quite baffled with respect to what it will sound like in ‘open air’

• GongTong (@gongtong) said on 18th October 2013, 19:29

Dizzy. Comment of the day for me.

Brilliantly put.

• Jarnooo (@jarnooo) said on 19th October 2013, 5:54

The difference is they never really sounded like downgrades until the V8s. The V8s never sounded like F1 to me.

4. I’m not a fan of these audio clips personally as I think they just give fuel to the doomsdayer’s fires for the engines clearly do not sound their best on a test bench, with the exhaust being forced out and the sound itself reverberating on the wall surfaces. Without a race exhaust and open air, I don’t think audio clips do the sound justice.

That said, I think these engines will sound great once they are raced for the first time: still not as good as the heavenly V10′s, but better than the V8′s absolutely. I am certain they won’t sound like vacuum cleaners in the Ardennes!

5. tvm (@tvm) said on 18th October 2013, 16:02

“I keep hearing people go on about how the new engine’s don’t sound like a racing/F1 engine’, But what does a race engine sound like?”

Easy question, it sounds like a screaming daemon, revving at 20.000 RPM as it approaches the old Bus stop on Spa, instantly telling you that you’d better get those ear plugs back in right now or this will have an impact; immediately followed by a series of crazy loud explosions that you can feel in your chest from 50 meters away as the engine and gear box are slammed down through the gears forcing the engine to max RPM each time. The brake discs goes from not visible to glowing brightly red in an instant and at the end the car comes almost sideways into the pits while the driver struggles to keep it straight at the end of his training pass…

• Dizzy said on 18th October 2013, 16:25

But that’s just a personnel opinion which is kind of the point I was getting at.
      Everyone has there own ideal of how things should sound, Usually based on how things sounded ‘back in the day’ because often people don’t know any different.

In the 40+yrs I’ve followed F1 I’ve heard dozens of different sounds from dozens of different engines so for me there is no ‘how it should sound’ there is only ‘a sound’ & that sound is a race engine that’s both fast & powerful.
      The 10′s sounded like that as did the V8′s & so will the V6′s.

• tvm (@tvm) said on 18th October 2013, 19:50

“Eye of the beholder”, you can reduce everything to that.

It’s not the end of the world that engines are dumbed down and held well below their actual redline, but its not the sound of development, of struggling to get the last juice out of every cubic cm. You instantly knew that those engines wasn’t noisy because of boys will be boys, but simply because that was the best way, an f1 engine is noisy beyond fun.

To me the new ones sounds muffled; And they are.

• @tvm I quite liked the idea of CVT’s, actually. That way you are literally pushing the engine to the absolute peak of it’s performance all the time: it is happiest when it is at the optimal fuel usage/distance travelled ratio: i.e, converting as much chemical energy as possible into kinetic energy. So I always thought it would have been awesome seeing cars – still at pretty much full revs – charging into corners!

6. David not Coulthard (@) said on 18th October 2013, 16:04

Assuming that the above video is the one in the forums, I’d say that we’ve now got a proper sound again.

To me a “proper” sound is either a pre-MMVI V10 or a Matra V12esque thingie. I think the V6 is a lot of the latter, or at least it sounds like old engines.

Let’s hope it stays that way, albeit a bit improved, once the put the exhaust on!

7. Akshay (@hamilfan) said on 18th October 2013, 16:06

I just heard the V10 renault 2006 . And wow , I must say this sounds too much under powered in comparison to the scream of the V10 . Anyhow , we can’t judge whether it is too bad or not until it goes out on track .I personally am bothered more about the racing in 2014 than the sounds ( It’s not as if we are racing electric cars , there will be a roar of an engine )

• jonathan102 (@jonathan102) said on 18th October 2013, 16:30

Of course it sounds underpowered. These V6s are generating 200-300bhp less than the V10s.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 18th October 2013, 22:36

It’s not necessarily the “underpowered” that effects the sound (although that is contributing factor), it is mainly the exhaust energy that is used and to spin the turbine. The energy from the Exhaust pressure and subsequently sound pressure and intenity level are converted.

8. bebilou (@bebilou) said on 18th October 2013, 16:07

Not too bad, wait and s… hear :-)

Anyway, it’s impossible to listen a sample on the internet and compare it with the real sound: and when I say ‘real’, I mean on the track, with the car 10m from you.
    Anyone who went on location to a F1 Grand Prix knows what I mean: it’s like comparing the sound of thunder on your TV and when the thunder strikes the ground 100m from you. There is no comparison.

I’m quite confident the turbo engines will be impressive to listen ‘live’, like the V8 are today. Different, but still impressive.

9. JimG (@jimg) said on 18th October 2013, 16:10

Milton Keynes, eh? Let the conspiracy theories commence! ;-)

10. schooner (@schooner) said on 18th October 2013, 16:12

Unlike the shrieking V8s, I’m beginning to have a hope that the slightly muted and lower revving turbo engines might have a discernible difference in engine note between manufacturers.

11. PeterG said on 18th October 2013, 16:40

We had small capacity turbo engines in the 1980s & I don’t remember anybody whining about how rubbish they sounded & how F1 needed to go back non turbo engines.

the honda turbo ayrton senna drove was a 1.5ltr V6 & that sounded good-

ferrari v6 turbo from 1080s-

the indycar series use v6 turbo engines now & they sound very nice-

• colo134 said on 18th October 2013, 16:44

i disagree about the indy car engines, i think they sound weak and pitiful compared to the engines Champ Car/CART used

12. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 18th October 2013, 16:42

Sounds good, but… limited.

There’s no rage, no feel that “this is the very very limit of what’s phisically possible”.

I hate rev limiters.

13. sato113 (@sato113) said on 18th October 2013, 16:47

you can really tell its being fed through one pipe not two. shame

14. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 18th October 2013, 16:49

I don’t care how it sounds as long as the cars are fast.

Anyway, if you want a proper noise you need rotors, not pistons ;)

15. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 18th October 2013, 17:10

Hey, turn off the blender…