Daniil Kvyat gets Toro Rosso drive for 2014

2014 F1 season

Toro Rosso have confirmed Russian driver Daniil Kvyat will race for them in 2014 in place of Daniel Ricciardo.

Kvyat will partner Jean-Eric Vergne, who remains at the team for a third season. The 19-year-old Russian driver is currently second in the GP3 category with two races remaining.

Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, Silverstone, Young Drivers' Test, 2013He also appeared at most of this year’s European Formula Three races, winning once at Zandvoort. He tested for Toro Rosso at Silverstone earlier this year.

“We are pleased to continue our policy of bringing on drivers from the Red Bull Junior Programme,” said team principal Franz Tost.

“He impressed our team with a strong performance and very informative technical feedback at the young driver test in Silverstone. This suggests that the basic qualities from which he can progress are all in place. Daniil can be sure that we will use all our experience of training youngsters to give him the best possible start to his Formula One career.”

Kvyat said his promotion to the team was “a dream come true”.

“I want to thank Red Bull and Toro Rosso for giving me this priceless opportunity,” he said. “Ever since I began karting, I wanted to get to Formula One and now that wish will become reality next season.”

“I had a brief taste of working with the Toro Rosso team, when I drove for them at the Silverstone test and I enjoyed the experience very much. The fact I am based in Italy and speak Italian will, I am sure, help me to become part of the team very quickly.”

Kvyat will be the second Russian driver to race in F1 following Vitaly Petrov. Russia will hold its first round of the world championship next year. Sauber are also considering promoting Russian driver Sergey Sirotkin to their team for next year.

Formula Renault 3.5 driver Antonio Felix da Costa had previously been tipped to take Ricciardo’s place at the team.

See the updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

186 comments on Daniil Kvyat gets Toro Rosso drive for 2014

1. infernojim (@infernojim) said on 22nd October 2013, 12:11

I was at Monza and there were a few drivers that stood out as class of the field there, Kvyat was easily the man of the moment. A dominant first and a fighting drive through to the podium. Really good.

Sainz looked good to as did Rezalia, amongst a lot of crazy kids too.

2. Money does the Talks! Perhaps, someday, Kvyat became a driver like AFC, but where is the rational in opting for a driver that needs development instead of a regular winner with a lot of talent and experience. I suppose we all know the answer. Eventually, Energy Drink and Bernie Ecclestone wins, F1 and Motorsport surely LOSES. THIS IS A SAD DAY FOR MOTORSPORT!

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 22nd October 2013, 21:00

@vzx7qf – Except that Kvyat is also “a regular winner with a lot if talent and experience”. Go and look at his results – he’s been a title contender in the last four championships he raced in (but not European Formula 3 as he was a guest driver and therefore ineligible to score points).

• Kukonov said on 22nd October 2013, 22:35

The true is no one was thinking in kvyat for the place. This should mean anithing. I’m not saying he don’t have some skills but should prove it in gp2 or fr3.5 he is too young for the job. Let’s see….

• toiago (@toiago) said on 23rd October 2013, 0:44

@prisoner-monkeys – Do you have any proof of such theory?

• toiago (@toiago) said on 23rd October 2013, 0:48

Sorry! The reply was aimed at you comment above!

Everyone gets carried away with da Costa’s achievements last year. But he has had a horrendous season this year. One of his big problems has been in setting up the car, and I have heard the theory that the team were under orders to be less than helpful in this regard to test da Costa’s ability to set the car up. If true, he appears to have failed that test. If it’s not true, then it doesn’t change the fact that he’s been totally ordinary.

• Francy Tiller said on 25th October 2013, 16:36

And you, have any evidence of the opposite? … Why not putting the actual winner of karting in F1 next year, I suppose he could also perform, and, on this case, he had a great name supporting him. Verstappen….

3. I imagine Helmut Marko isn’t very popular on the Iberian peninsula these days, after sacking Alguersuari two years ago, and now putting Kyvat ahead of Da Costa.

I like the move. From what little GP3 I’ve seen, Kyvat has exceptional racecraft and the results are there to warrant a promotion up to F1 – just as Valtteri Bottas did. I don’t get why people are making him out to be the next Esteban Tuero and expecting him to battle Sirotkin for 21st in the championship next year.

4. Rigi (@rigi) said on 22nd October 2013, 16:31

he’s a good driver, so this decision will prove itself to be good i’m sure!

5. andae23 (@andae23) said on 23rd October 2013, 11:40

“[Kvyat] senses his opponents even if he doesn’t see them.”

Whut?

6. Franceso Bary said on 25th October 2013, 16:06

Money is the best friend of actual F1 Teams …..

7. Rapy jones said on 25th October 2013, 16:37

Has some of the experts in F1 rated, Da costa is a superb driver that appears only once in decades. We never hear anything special about this Russian; could this be a serious move without money involved? I suppose not !!

8. Peter jonhy said on 25th October 2013, 16:37

In terms of marketing, I have serious doubts that this move beneficiates Red Bull as a Brand. Every person that loves motor racing understand what is going on and do not like money over talent. I used to Drink Red-Bull, but now, I have changed to Monsters even it is more difficult to find here in Brazil.

9. Mike- said on 3rd November 2013, 2:21

and Kvyat got GP3 championship…what a star!, now I see that Red Bull knows what they are doing…another Vettel is coming

10. Oh man! So wanted JEV at RBR! Anyway, I wanted Da Costa at STR!