Alonso to celebrate points record on Indian GP helmet

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso helmet, 2013 Indian Grand PrixFernando Alonso will mark his record F1 points tally with a special helmet design for the Indian Grand Prix.

Alonso became F1′s all-time highest points scorer at the Japanese Grand Prix, reaching a tally of 1,571 points, surpassing Michael Schumacher’s previous record of 1,566.

The two totals don’t bear direct comparison as the value of different finishing positions has changed many times in F1 history. For example a win was originally value at eight points, Schumacher scored ten for each of his 91 victories, and 25 points has been given to race winners since 2010.

Alonso’s helmet also carries a message of thanks to his fans in English, French and Italian.

“To see my name leading the points record for a sport like Formula One is something I never imagined,” said Alonso after claiming the record in Japan. “Thanks to everyone!”

See here for a list of every F1 world champions’ points totals adjusted to the current scoring system:

Fernando Alonso Indian Grand Prix helmet

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Indian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

113 comments on Alonso to celebrate points record on Indian GP helmet

1. antifia (@antifia) said on 23rd October 2013, 8:06

One of those records. With races giving you up to 25 points (the 6th place scores no less than 8 times more points than it used to) and two dozen of races per season, how can it be compared to what drivers in other eras achieved? Even if you just hang on to the numbers and forget their circumstances. That the media raises it up, I’m not surprised – anything to fill up a column. But Alonso himself putting it in his helmet…. he is really desperate for something to celebrate, anything.

2. QuadQuantum (@quadquantum) said on 23rd October 2013, 8:24

This annoys me. He only has the most points because of the rules change. Its utterly meaningless, and frankly I think he should be above this

3. Steph (@stephanief1990) said on 23rd October 2013, 8:33

I don’t think this stat means much given the points system has changed so much throughout the years (in 88 Prost would have won a title had the points actually mattered!) but IO really don’t get why so many fans have to be bitter about absolutely everything.

As for the helmet – love the colours and the “thank you” message but I’m not the greatest fan of the design.

I do think it would be interesting if someone who was less lazy than me actually compared the finishing positions of all the top drivers through the years – that would give us a better idea about consistency (although again it is fairly limited in its insight as the cars impact performance more than anything – Senna and Prost for example had it easy during their time together as they were pretty much guaranteed to be first and second).

• Well Keith has published in the last stats and facts article a “modern points” and “modern points per start” statistic, which Schumacher and Fangio lead respectively (by far, I may add).

4. So of all the previous WDC’s he has the least WDC’s(2) for the most points? Silly stat actually….

5. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 23rd October 2013, 8:51

Totally hollow record. No point celebrating this. And I like Alonso too.

6. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 23rd October 2013, 9:40

I really feel inclined to address some of you out there, it seems over the last 4 a little war has broken out between Vettel supporters and Alonso supporters. Why does every article about one of these two drivers have to turn into a kindergarten discussion? Is it so hard to just try and get along and have respect for the others decision to back another driver. and I as an Alonso supporter am talking to BOTH sides here! If only some of you could be like @vettel1, who has constantly proven to be an admirer of Vettel and have respect for other drivers out there. I’m starting to turn away from F1 fanatic because of these pointless discussions. Something needs to change or else I’m going to be forced to stop reading F1 fanatic. At least the comment section.

Back on topic: I like this helmet even if the stat isn’t that impressive considering the rule change, but a stat is a stat.

7. maarten.f1 (@maarten-f1) said on 23rd October 2013, 10:01

I do feel it’s a bit, I don’t know, attention grabbing to celebrate this “record”. But a lot of records are meaningless in Formula 1 I suppose. The number of wins for example, amount of races, number of poles, number of consecutive point finishes, fastest laps, you name it. Formula 1 has changed many times over the course of time; there are more races than ever, top 10 finishers now get points, cars are much, much more reliable, qualifying format has changed many times, circuits have changed, engines have changed. This would mark many records as debatable, because there’s no way you can compare Formula 1 today with Formula 1 in the 50s. As they say, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.

8. Racer (@racer) said on 23rd October 2013, 12:57

Cringeworthy.

9. Yobo01 (@yobo01) said on 23rd October 2013, 13:16

I’m surprised, to be honest. After last race Alonso himself said that this record was not significant.
    I don’t know, it feels weird. He didn’t celebrate at all two weeks ago in Japan, he didn’t seem to care about it too much.

10. Andy (@turbof1) said on 23rd October 2013, 13:24

IMO, absolute numbers always look impressive, but I think more relevant statistics would be average points/start or average % (cutting out outliers of course) of the maximum achievable points.
    In that aspect, Juan Manuel Fangio makes drivers like Alonso, Schumacher and Vettel eat dirt. An average of 17.12 points per race (under current points), or 68.5% of the maximum points achievable, that is insane. He had a short carreer compared to drivers nowadays, but he made almost literally the most out of it. By far the best records belong to him.

11. evered7 (@evered7) said on 23rd October 2013, 16:04

The mere mention of Alonso seems to ignite something in a few people. I think he will not care one bit what me or the other fans think about what he does.

Sometimes having a hard shell is required to achieve what the other 99% don’t. The man himself has said that the stat is meaningless. But the stat is ‘true’ irrespective of how it was achieved.

Can’t blame a man for stating the truth.

12. TheBass (@) said on 23rd October 2013, 18:45

Seems a bit pointless.

13. astonished (@astonished) said on 23rd October 2013, 21:50

noun
    a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause:
    religious fanatics
    informal a person with an obsessive interest in and enthusiasm for a particular activity:
    a fitness fanatic
    adjective
    filled with or expressing excessive zeal:
    his eyes had a fanatic iciness

Oxford dictionary.

While we are at f1 fanatic I find all these comments rather normal, from both sides (pro and con the record, do not think in Alonso / Vettel ) :-)

14. hunocsi (@hunocsi) said on 23rd October 2013, 22:20

@keithcollantine Can Alonso wear this helmet? Wasn’t there a rule about helmets not being allowed to carry any words that can be read from the on board camera?

15. Jackal said on 24th October 2013, 0:55

LOL, I’m so impressed! After Seb has been taking him to school the past 4 years I suppose Freddy desperately needs something to “celebrate”.