Pirelli expects strategy shift from “aggressive” tyres

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Buddh International Circuit, 2012Pirelli believe its change of tyre compounds for this weekend’s race in India will lead teams to use more aggressive strategies.

The hard and soft tyres have been used for both previous races at the Buddh International Circuit, but this year the medium and soft compounds have been chosen.

Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery said their previous choices of compounds “might have been slightly on the conservative side”.

“This year we?ve gone for a softer and slightly more aggressive choice,” said Hembery.

“We only had one pit stop per car in India last year, but this year we would expect two ?ǣ which also provides the drivers and teams with more opportunities to make up places.

F1’s official tyre supplier is bringing a softer selection of tyres for this weekend’s race for only the second time this year – as it also did in Australia. As the 2013 rubber is softer than that used last year, its Pirelli’s of compounds for most races this season have been the same as last year or harder.

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Indian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

37 comments on Pirelli expects strategy shift from “aggressive” tyres

1. Mandice said on 22nd October 2013, 9:51

I prefer tire compounds choices that can stop Rbr domination…….

2. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 22nd October 2013, 10:49

So they choose hard and medium for COTA (Arguably the smoothest track on the calendar)… Real aggressive.

3. kcarrey (@kcarrey) said on 22nd October 2013, 11:02

i fear the graining of right front tyre.

4. Dizzy said on 22nd October 2013, 11:11

So more tyre management races then, Wonderful :(
    More 2 second gaps, Less good, hard, Close racing!

Martin Brundle said on the Sky coverage at Suzuka that he asked most the drivers about the levels of tyre management seen in 2013 & they all said they “Absolutely hate it”. I agree with them, Its absolutely dire!

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 22nd October 2013, 21:36

It seems Dizzy, that you and I are lone voices in the wilderness. Perhaps if I had grown up with computer games I might be glad to see F1 turned into a cross between Chess and Snakes and Ladders but as it is I prefer to see drivers testing their car control skills for the duration of the race.

5. sato113 (@sato113) said on 22nd October 2013, 12:08

‘Sebastian, watch the wear on your front left tyre, don’t push too hard. Watch out for backmarkers, remember Senna ’88’ (or WHATEVER year, in reference to being careful overtaking backmarkers).
    OH shut up rocky. face it, you never have any problems in the race.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 22nd October 2013, 12:11

Sometimes I wonder if Red Bull’s problems aren’t carefully-designed PR exercises, since they never eventuate. The one time Vettel did have a genuine problem – in Brazil last year when his floor cracked after the collision with Senna – they said nothing about it.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 22nd October 2013, 18:12

His engine failed at Silverstone.

• RAMBOII said on 22nd October 2013, 23:56

They said they could see the damage on screen and that there was nothing they could do about it during the race. Vettel himself said he was lucky that the race was wet, as it minimized the effect of the damage. What more should they have said? You have a crack of 5 inches in your bodywork with a width of a few mm, … They couldn’t do anything about it, unlike when you can shortshift your gearbox etc.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 22nd October 2013, 12:24

Apart from excessive tyre wear, gearbox glitches and inattentive backmarkers.

• At least Rocky doesn’t keep saying boring radio messages like “Remember to drink…”
      There is always some drama between Rocky and Seb ;)

• Loup Garou (@loup-garou) said on 22nd October 2013, 13:54

Rocky “Seb, that’s Hamilton ahead of you, go lap him!”

6. eljueta said on 22nd October 2013, 12:29

Yay more explosions! \o/

7. spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 22nd October 2013, 13:54

good news for Ferrari!

8. Shreyas Mohanty (@) said on 22nd October 2013, 15:08

@sato113 A year old? It’s three years old actually, first Indian GP in 2011 remember? And it’s used a lot too, I myself have done quite a bit of karting there, albeit the karting track merges with the f1 track for only about 40% of the length. And there is a lot of super and sports car racing too! Lambos and Ferraris are a common sight!

9. PeterG said on 22nd October 2013, 16:37

The fact that there is even the discussion that the tyres coule (Or indeed should) be used to limit one teams ‘domination’ with many fans encouraging that approach shows just how far Formula 1 has fallen & just how big a joke both it & Pirelli’s tyres are.

• Michael Brown (@) said on 22nd October 2013, 20:43

I don’t like how the FIA has to keep banning anything that gives an advantage. Double diffusers, blown diffusers, double DRS, and in 2014 the exhaust is going to exit clear of the bodywork which is another attempt to stop Red Bull

10. To be honest, I don’t want “aggressive strategies”. I want strategy to be a subtle addition to improve the racing, not the dominant factor. Preferably, I’d always want one stop to be an option, whether two stops is the maximum or indeed the one is the maximum and you could potentially run to the end (in races like Monaco or Monza for example).

Hopefully that will be the case next year, although that stupid rule is being retained I believe that you must use both compounds and start on the tyres you qualified with.

• Michael Brown (@) said on 22nd October 2013, 20:47

@vettel1 That qualifying rule is stupid. Whenever there has been a wet qualifying and a dry start, most of the cars start on the softer tires anyway. I think it would be more exciting if we got to see a situation where the pole sitter started on the harder tires, like Silverstone 2012

The two compounds rule is the only reasons teams use the option tire anyway. Nearly all race strategies this year involved doing a 6 lap option stint and then using primes for the rest.

• @lite992

That doesn’t bother me at all: soft tyres for qualifying and hard tyres for racing, as it should be ;)

Maybe banishing that rule would encourage Pirelli to make tyres which were closer in performance, which would be more interesting from a strategic perspective in my opinion.

11. BasCB (@bascb) said on 23rd October 2013, 8:52

A very welcome change after they have gone über-conservative in these races for the last years. Vettel will win the WDC anyway (and next years tyres will be a lot more conservative – that is good), so now give us something to be exited about for this race Pirelli

12. F1 in 2013 in a few lines (in my view at least)…

race :
    lap 2 – message to driver : start saving your tyres
    lap 4 – message from driver : my tyres are gone
    lap 5 – message to driver : do not overtake, leave a 3 seconds gap, we need these tyres for another 30 minutes
    victory lap : YES, thank you boys, thank you, we did it, YES !

podium :
    – booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

press conference after the race :
    RBR : no, it was not easy to win this race, absolutely not. it was very very hard
    FER : we need to understand why can’t we understand why the car is not fast enough…. also in another news do you know about our wind tunnel ?
    McL : we have some updates coming sometime this year and it will give us a huuuuuuuge boost
    LOT : I’m sexy and I know it
    MERC : we are still trying to figure it out who is the boss in our team. after we figure that out we… err… what was the question again ?
    SAUB : we’re fast, very fast… we’re broke. do you have some money ? yeah ? only with a driver included ? deal.

drivers in 2013 :
    the majority : Vettel is not fast, his car is
    VET : I can’t type his finger here, sorry
    WEB : **** this ****, I’m out
    ALO : samurai !
    MAS : I’m only helping myself becau… **** ! who put this wall here ?
    HAM : I have no idea, are they together or not ?
    ROS : I’m faster, let me pass
    RAI : shut up and let me drive
    GRO : don’t hit anyone in the first corner, don’t hit anyone in the first corner, don’t hit anyone in the first corner, don’t hit anyone in the first corner, don’t hit anyone in the first corner, don’t hit anyone in the first corner…
    BUT : the car is terrible
    PER : oh look, a car in front me. chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !

end of F1 race weekend.

PS. sorry, I could not help myself once I started with the tyres… :)

13. Jason (@jason12) said on 23rd October 2013, 13:07