Grosjean “wouldn’t have bet” on podium finish

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Romain Grosjean, Lotus, Buddh International Circuit, 2013Romain Grosjean said he didn’t believe he had any chance of finishing on the podium after starting 17th on the grid for today’s Indian Grand Prix.

Asked if he thought it was possible Grosjean said: “Not at all. I wouldn’t have bet a penny on me being on the podium today.”

“But the car came back as it was on Friday,” he added. “I think the race pace was really there. We did a very brave strategy, as we did yesterday, I think it was not the time to go safe. And it paid off, we’re back on the podium, it’s quite amazing from where we started.

“I tried to go through the field and it was tough until the end, I didn’t know when the tyres were going to go off. The team did fantastic and very proud to be here.”

Grosjean caught team mate Kimi Raikkonen who was struggling with his tyres in the closing stages of the race. This led to a heated exchange on the team radio as Raikkonen defended his position from his team mate, even forcing him wide at turn four.

The team’s trackside operations director Alan Permane told Raikkonen to “get out of the ******* way”. Raikkonen responded with similar language, adding he would yield the position “when I have the chance but not in the fast corners”.

Grosjean said his team mate “was in a difficult situation”.

“I knew I had to be careful to my engine. I knew Massa had much fresher tyres behind, so I didn’t want to lose time and I lost a little bit of time.

“But never mind. The good point is we are in the podium, we score good points for the team and we still have a very strong car for the upcoming races.”

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Indian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

69 comments on Grosjean “wouldn’t have bet” on podium finish

1. kpcart said on 27th October 2013, 15:04

A worthy result. Grosjean’s improvement in qualifying and race craft in recent times is nearly unheard of in top teams in f1 during the past several decades. a win is coming (not for redbulls current dominance).Hhis teammate has signed a deal for Ferrari yet he is showing him up. it reminds me of Felipe Massa’s unexpected rise, in which he started in a midfield team, then teamed with schumached ended up competing equaly over time and beating Schumacher, and then also beating Raikonnen, with the rise then unfortunantly ending with Felipe’s unfortunate accident. I feel Grosjeans progress is similar, he is not expected to be a great, but is making his own claim to greatness and is believing in himself.
    Grosjean’s story is really his own making, he is not a child star put into f1 expecting results like Hamilton, yet he is getting there by himself. I never expected him to be a race winner, but his recent form tells me he is a worthy f1 driver who when he gets a win will be a highly celebrated winner…. the odds and support have never been for him, but he is creating his own odds.

2. Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 27th October 2013, 16:14

Indeed ! If it wasn’t for Webber’s retirement… no chance !

3. Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 27th October 2013, 16:15

+ Alonso’s failed startegy, no chance for GRO to get the podium.

4. Sammo said on 27th October 2013, 17:03

Romain has gotten lots more confident of late and good results follow, clearly gets more out of the car too. Kimi’s performance has gotten worse, so he’s skills are getting worse?, i don’t think so. The car suits Romain better now, and the opposite for Kimi. I think the only thing Kimi likes more than winning is racing and the only thing Romain likes more than racing is winning.

5. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 27th October 2013, 19:54

Wow Grosjean just outstanding. The Lotus is kind on its tyres, but boy did he make it work! He’s always had the speed, now the race craft is improving too. Just excellent.

6. Deb Luhi (@debeluhi) said on 28th October 2013, 5:20

I’m neutral in this battle between Kimi and Roman but I’m really surprised when some people are trying very hard to discredit what Roman has achieved this season and in particular the second part of it. Maybe the results are showing something else but Roman gave Kimi a run for his money (which he didn’t get, by the way).

• David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 28th October 2013, 7:13

@debeluhi
      Say hello to obssessed Raikkonen fans who don’t like Grosjean showing him up… they say Grosjean is only doing better because gets more support than Raikkonen now but hello, before Raikkonen ditched Lotus for Ferrari I’m pretty sure Raikkonen, being the #1 driver got more support and I doubt they were complaining about that.

• Sammo said on 28th October 2013, 14:08

Raikkonen hasn’t ditched Lotus for Ferrari. I think he’s playing it quite professionally by driving for Lotus full throttle (i don’t even know if he’s got all the money the owe to him either). I’m sure Lotus has ditched Kimi (like McLaren ditched Lewis last year) rather than the other way around, he isn’t in the inner circle anymore. I don’t mean that they are making his car worse but rather a black sheep of the family. If Lotus won’t get the sponsors it needs for next season, it would be better for Romain if he left also.

The only person knowing what’s really going on with car number 7 right now is Kimi, and he’s talking very little about it. This is the perfect time for Kimi haters (Permane seems like one these days) to rise their heads, like they did when Massa was getting the upper hand back in the day. In those Ferrari years only Kimi knew how difficult it was to drive the car he was driving, but he didn’t whine about it, some engineer seem to think he was amazing.

The best thing about this is that Kimi probably doesn’t care about these opinions, fan or foe. He knows what he’s doing — he’s a true racer, he races because he enjoys it. He doesn’t care about his teammates points or constructors points, he drives for himself and if he’s doing good the team can benefit from it. I don’t remember Kimi asking for team orders (the team made those decisions), he would have raced his teammate to the bitter or sweet end (like he did in Korea).

Kimi himself has said that he doesn’t have to drive, but enjoys to. He looks life beyond F1, it’s just an enjoyable job for him, if it wasn’t he wouldn’t do it. Many people like him because he doesn’t inflate himself just because he has more money (he’s first car was a Lada, and the prefers to drive a VW Caravelle for practical reasons) or he’s a celebrity and that annoys a lot of people, that he can be so “common”. Some even make the mistake of thinking he’s less intelligent. I like the fact that he isn’t “posh”, he’s the kind of guy a common guy like myself can relate to (although same aged as Kimi, my partying days are over, grown out of those but Kimi clearly hasn’t). He is an ideal example for workers -> work hard till the factory whistle blows, then drop your gloves, because anything more is off your skin. This makes people think he’s lazy, but he just does what he has contracted himself to do, and the driving part is what he enjoys. Then there are the other drivers like Romain or even Sebastian who live and breath Formula 1. Kimi could be better if he dived into it more, but then he wouldn’t be the same Kimi, he would be a formula 1 driver like the rest of them. You don’t have to be the best (always in subjective terms) one to be the most interesting (always in subjective terms) one.

• Sammo said on 28th October 2013, 7:42

Romain has been great for sure. I just think Kimi fans are a little overprotective because a lot of people want to “shoot him down” when he’s not getting the best results (everybody is always “shot down” when they are in a slump, people like to kick you when you are down). I think it was good for Romain, that he had to fight for the spot even though he was obviously going to get it at some point (He got some schooling in the Guttierez fight as well, zic-zacing like crazy behind him and steaming about it). Kimi isn’t getting into any mindgames and I think a Kimi-fans stay out of them as well. Kimi is just a personality that some can’t handle (too honest).