Vettel wins drivers’ title for fourth year running

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Buddh International Circuit, 2013Sebastian Vettel has become the Formula One drivers’ champion for the fourth year in a row following his victory in the Indian Grand Prix.

He is only the third driver in Formula One history to win the title for four years running. The first was Juan Manuel Fangio, who became champion for the second time in 1954 then won the next three championships as well.

The other driver to win four in a row was Michael Schumacher, who took five of his seven championship victories consecutively between 2000 and 2004.

The 26-year-old Red Bull driver is the only person ever to win his first four championship titles consecutively.

Vettel said it was “unbelievable” to see his name alongside the sport’s all-time greats.

“I’m speechless,” he said on the podium after the race. “I crossed the line, I was empty. I took ages to think about something to say. It’s one of these moments you wish to say so many things but you can’t.”

Vettel said it had been a “phenomenal” season for the team. “I said it on the radio, it gives me so much power than it’s a pleasure to jump in the car and go out for the guys and just try to give it all I have.”

“The car was phenomenal today, It was phenomenal all season to be honest so I couldn’t ask for more.”

“The spirit in the team is fantastic,” he added. “The sort of numbers and statistics that we have done in the last four years is unbelievable.”

“I don’t feel old – I’m getting older but I think I’m not that old yet – but to achieve that in a short amount of time is very difficult to grasp. Maybe in ten years’ time, I’m trying very hard to come to the level I am now, maybe then I’m a little bit better in actually understanding what we have done so far.”

Team principal Christan Horner said: “For Sebastian to have joined the illustrious names of [Juan Manuel] Fangio, [Alain] Prost and [Michael] Schumacher is an incredible achievement, especially at such a young age and it’s a privilege to work with him.”

List of Formula One drivers’ champions

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Indian Grand Prix articles

Image © Red Bull/Getty

169 comments on Vettel wins drivers’ title for fourth year running

1 2 3
  1. hugomac (@hugomac) said on 27th October 2013, 7:57

Still won’t rate him until he’s in & winning in a non-newey car & controlling the team (& Webber) to his advantage, why do we all hate him so much. I’ll be the first to take my hat off to the guy if he can repeat his success in another team until then he could move & we find out he’s not that great & his 4 titles mean nothing….Riccardo will never be able to get anywhere next season, so sad. F1 just feels a bit rigged & corporate. Mateschitz wants a return on his considerable investment in F1 so Vettel gets the spoils….

2. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

3. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 27th October 2013, 11:07

On par with Prost. I don’t know what to say, I dislike him with a passion, but he’s been perfect this season.

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 27th October 2013, 11:12

And on another note, today he has knocked Senna out of my top 5 greatest drivers of all time.

Now it’s Schumacher – Fangio – Prost – Clark – Vettel (IMO).

Coming from a big Alonso/Ferrari fan.

• Nathan (@il-ferrarista) said on 27th October 2013, 14:53

His racing more is Prost-style, imo. Although he qualifies as good a senna. But for me he is not in the top eight yet. If he gets a less-than-frontrow-car a couple of seasons, he’ll be inside my top eight. Now Vet is sort of 9-10th greatest.

4. YES! Nice touch with the burnouts again! :D

5. GongTong (@gongtong) said on 27th October 2013, 11:08

Maybe it’s boring. But just like when Schumacher was in charge, I feel honoured to witness a legend at his peak.

Congratulations Seb! And thank you!

• Shreyas Mohanty (@) said on 27th October 2013, 11:51

Yep, the car is legendary. Makes everything a bit too easy for Vettel the “legend”.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th October 2013, 12:38

@shreyasf1fan Webber is fifth in the championship in the same car with less than half Vettel’s score. Sure he’d have more if Vettel wasn’t there, but clearly it’s not all the car.

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 27th October 2013, 12:46

@keithcollantine I was thinking about this today. Maybe it is clutching at straws, but could it be that Red Bull’s performance masks just how rubbish Webber actually is, and that Vettel is just an 8/10 driver? Until we see Vettel alongside another of the ‘big 3′ we just won’t know how good he is.

Vettel is clearly one of the best. But I need to see what Lewis or Fernando could do in the same car as Vettel before I will accept Vettel is this God everyone says he is.

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 12:51

@nick-uk What if the Ferrari is actually a great car, but Alonso and Massa are just that terrible?

See? What you wrote made as little sense.

• The problem is @nick-uk that you could just recycle the same argument for every driver. The good ones just stand out: like Alonso and Hamilton, Vettel is clearly just a step above average. Hülkenberg shows that on occasions too – they just look better.

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 13:16

@vettel1

you could just recycle the same argument for every driver

It would be an interesting experiment. What *great* teammate has Alonso proven himselft against? Only possible answer is Hamilton, who he tied in points.

But what *great* teammate had Hamilton proven himself against at that point? What if both “are 8/10 drivers”?

Next year we have ALO vs RAI, but what *great* teammate has Raikkonen proven himself against? Massa? Eh…

See @nick-uk? That fell apart pretty quickly when thinking about it a bit ;-)

• Exactly @silence – you could keep on recycling that until you came to ridiculous conclusions such as Schumacher was an average driver! It really does not work.

Usually it becomes obvious in their first seasons if they are something special. Hamilton certainly did that, as did Vettel and Alonso.

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 13:58

@vettel1 Indeed, for example right now I have the feeling we’ll see great things from Grosjean and Hulkenberg.

You know, I totally understand not liking Vettel (I myself am not Hamilton’s greatest fan), but this whole “let’s find the most obscure argument possible to discredit Vettel” is getting old.

• Jonathan189 (@jonathan189) said on 27th October 2013, 16:11

You’re right, it is clutching at straws. Webber is a competitive driver, and has proved this many times in many different teams. Red Bull wouldn’t have retained him for so long if they didn’t rate him more highly than the alternatives.

• sgp_f1fan said on 28th October 2013, 5:51

Keith, i dont believe Webbers 5 place in the standings reflects where he could have been sitting if not for alternators, fires, wheels coming off, gearbox. I think that covers them all.

Its not quite so black and white as per your comment.

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 28th October 2013, 9:13

No suprise the “Webber has the worst luck” argument reappears again despite the fact that this myth one has been conclusively put to bed on this site already. Webber did have bad luck

in this race

, that can’t be denied, but once again he was on course to turn a superior strategy into an inferior result compared with his team-mate in the same car. One failure doesn’t explain the enormous deficit to his team-mate over the season.

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 12:46

@shreyasf1fan Will you reply back this time, or will you just post something illogical and then run away as you always do?

• Oletros (@oletros) said on 27th October 2013, 14:33

Nice joke, because you’re joking, don’t you?

6. JCost (@jcost) said on 27th October 2013, 11:12

In the same weekend Ferrari entered equal on points with Sebastian Vettel (at 297), Fernando Alonso was sporting his loud commemorative F1 poins record helmet…

Congrats Seb.

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 11:19

Fernando Alonso was sporting his loud commemorative F1 poins record helmet…

And he had his weakest race of the season. Kinda funny.

• Diego (@ironcito) said on 27th October 2013, 11:32

And he scored no points. As if a higher power had said “you celebrate your ridiculous record? no points for you!”

• mixwell (@mixwell) said on 27th October 2013, 11:54

this Friday, i was thinking, what if he scores 0 point this race ? lol

would interesting to see which helmet he chooses for Abu Dhabi GP. am sick of that old bluey stuff but this one was worse.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 27th October 2013, 11:45

@silence and jcost: Since he scored no points, he can use the same helmet at the next race :)

• kpcart said on 27th October 2013, 15:28

i hope you guys are just joking, otherwise you missed the point entirely with the helmet. any driver in the history of f1 would be happy with the feat, and not with these comments being posted here.

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 27th October 2013, 23:10

Do you know where Alonso would be if the points system wasn’t changed?
            The joke is on the Samurai, **** yeah

• Hyoko said on 28th October 2013, 0:04

How dare Alonso celebrate such a shameful,despicable and fully undeserved record? He should repent and flagelate himself in public.

Now that Webber and Massa are finishing their F1 careers (well, Massa could find a seat but I doubt it) I am sure that the fact that they will never reach the points record fills them with happiness and peace of mind. And the rookies are rightly wary of scoring any points this year (well Gutierrez in Japan was an accident) just in case they get that loathsome record in the future.

• Hyoko said on 28th October 2013, 0:18

@verstappen
            Yes, everybody knows that. Third in F1 history, very close to Prost (will surely be second a few races from now, say early in 2014 most likely) but yeah quite far from Schu. No mean achievement, IMO.

If Vettel keeps winning like he has done these years he will top Alonso’s points somewhere in the future, maybe 2015. And even though I dislike him, I will congratulate him and utter no nonsense about it being worthless.

And please don’t start again with it’s unfair to Fangio etc. Nobody ever said it is fair. There is really no fair way to compare drivers from such different eras. But if you want my opinion, Fangio was the best ever, head and shoulders above everybody else.

• Malik (@malik) said on 27th October 2013, 11:34

He can use his helmet in Abu-Dhabi too :D

• @jcost Alonso needs to celebrate his highest points tally as much as he can, coz one German is coming to grab the record very fast

7. Tango (@tango) said on 27th October 2013, 11:13

Oh man, why oh why am I not a fan ? The guy is brilliant, and it’s a good time to be a red bull fan!

8. Merv (@) said on 27th October 2013, 11:13

I wish I could hear the dressing down he’s going to get from Rocky though! He sounded absolutely livid!

• @cyclonetog I love Rocky’s radio message at the end of the race: “Räikkönen pitted on the last lap so there is absolutely no way you’re going to hold on to fastest lap” – something along those lines, which I thought defined their relationship. They really are a great driver/engineer pairing!

• Merv (@) said on 27th October 2013, 13:29

did you catch the message before? Something along the lines of “we’ll talk about this afterwards”
        which I’m sure was Rocky not being happy that SV refused to cruise home.

I think you’re right he’s the perfect engineer for SV, it’d be interesting to see how many DNF’s he would have had with a less tenacious engineer.

9. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 27th October 2013, 11:14

Hate him like the plague.

He has had the best car this year, miles ahead of the others, but he has extracted the best out of it. This is the first WDC I feel he has earn’t, he has driven very well this year. Good Job Vettel, excellent celebration as well :-)

• Why on earth? So you’re saying he was like Button in 2009? Just winning because of the car?

Haters gonna hate!

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 27th October 2013, 11:54

I also dislike him on the race track. But I think last year was the one he really had to earn.

This year was the best I’ve seen him drive. And he’s only 26. Athletes don’t hit their peak until about 28, so as long as Red Bull can produce a good car for the next few years, I think he’ll keep winning.

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 27th October 2013, 11:54

How can you say he ‘earned’ this one and not the others? This has been the title that has been most easily served on a platter. At least in 2011 McLaren had a car that could fight for wins quite often. 2013 has just been a joke, nobody even remotely close to Red Bull since Hungary. I find it even more abusrd that you think he didn’t earn his titles in 2010/12.

• @nick-uk I have to agree with you: in Vettel’s hands this has been the best Red Bull ever since Belgium.

• The Vettel/RBR pairing in the second half of this season has been so dominant, they weren’t racing the rest, no one could hope to touch them. It was like a hare racing snails, like a boxing champ fighting little children. It felt unfair.

Looked like He could win in his sleep. By Vettel’s (very high) standards, the racing in Japan or the qualifying in India were sloppy. He usually does a much better job. But why should he care, if with a half-hearted job he wins just the same?

• David BR2 said on 28th October 2013, 10:50

Red Bull’s nearest contenders, Mercedes, gave up developing halfway through the season to concentrate on 2014. And that’s it basically.

• mixwell (@mixwell) said on 27th October 2013, 12:04

2011 could be taken for granted but
      he had to work a lot more in 2010, had failures in 2012 (so did Alonso) , had to drive with a broken car in Brazil and started from pits in Abu Dhabi. in short – put a lot more effort.

this year – phenomenal driving. drove absolutely brilliant the whole year so deserved it.

• Breno (@austus) said on 27th October 2013, 12:06

FOUR championships and he hasnt eared them? Alonso breaks his front wing in two races, Raikkonen drops like a rock halfway through the season, Hamilton complains all year long and has hit or miss perfomances. And this is just this year.

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 12:13

@austus Of course he hasn’t! It was the car! Only Alonso does what he does due to sheer talent, the car plays no part on it. Didn’t you know?

• Malaysia: Alonso and Vettel touched in the first turn: Alonso’s race was soon over, Vettel went on unscathed.
        Japan: Hamilton and Vettel touched in the first turn: Hamilton’s race was soon over, Vettel went on unscathed.
        India: Alonso and Webber touched in the first turn: Alonso could go on but his race was ruined. Webber went on unscathed (got a DNF but not related AFAIK)

Besides being the fastest by far, is the RBR the toughest? or was it just luck?

• Carlitox (@carlitox) said on 27th October 2013, 12:27

I don’t hate him, I’m just not a fan but I do respect his quality and speed. And even though the RB9 is a masterpiece, Vettel deserves a lot of credit. At least until Newey develops an Auto-Pilot for the car. And if you want to question him, take a look back to 2009 and 2010, where he won races with a car not so much better than the rest.
      Vettel is one of the greats, face it. As a Tifoso, I had to do it with Villeneuve, Hakkinen, Alonso and now him. He deserves as much credit as the car and his team. No driver wins a title, the whole package wins it.

10. TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 11:17

As deserved as any champion can be. There’s nothing left to say, Vettel was on a class of his own this season.

Even his celebration was superb.

• Jono (@me262) said on 27th October 2013, 12:04

he is a class above because there arent enough red bulls to go around for everyone

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 12:18

@me262 He’s also the only one who has been constantly great both on quali and race. Hamilton, Raikkonen and Alonso have done (more than one) weak races, qualifyings or mistakes through the season. Vettel has been virtually flawless. Just to put in perspective, Alonso has been outqualified 7 times by Massa. Let’s not mention where Webber is in the championship.

Sure, he has had the best car, but he’s also driven the best.

But you’ve already been told this before, so I’m not sure why you insist on that, it’s not something too difficult to understand.

• Jono (@me262) said on 27th October 2013, 22:40

@silence yeah I agree, he has been above everyone this year

despite how sure you are about how good he is, you still dont know really how good he is until he steps out of that redbull, dont worry about webber, we’re not discussing webber or massa for that matter. We’re discussing the number 1’s vet v alo v ham v kimi. Time will put everyone in their place, thats my assurance…and you may be right…vettel may be the best. Dosent matter how many times he beats webber or ricciardo next year because that is not the test to end the speculation

I dont want to rise to your level…but I will: what is so difficult to understand about that?

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 22:50

@me262 Absolutely nothing, it’s pretty easy to understand that jealosuy, blind hate and poorly contructed arguments can cloud a person’s judgement hate, as they clearly have done to you :-)

• Jono (@me262) said on 27th October 2013, 22:53

all I ask for is ONE of his rivals to have machinery to be able to compete with him
          red bull has been untouchable since hungary. lets be honest: his 4th title was only a matter of time. The way that Seb has been able to sync with his car this year has been second to none. There’s also something up with red bull, in defence of webber much like Schumacher at Ferrari they have a clear number 1. (why did seb disobey team orders in malaysia? simple – its his team, he knows he can get away with anything..just ask uncle markoor any of the other austrian-germans :)

Im no Hamilton fan but i’ll stick my neck out and say Hamilton would be more than a match for vettel in the same un biased team – any day

• Jono (@me262) said on 27th October 2013, 22:56

@silence reminds me of a quote: ‘the problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while Vettels fans are full of confidence’ :)

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 23:00

@me262 And you remind me of a 5-year old trying too hard to get everyone’s attention. Time to give it a rest, I think.

• Oletros (@oletros) said on 28th October 2013, 6:10

A quote that really applies to you, you’re fully confident that he is and he won’t be one of the greatest

• Oletros (@oletros) said on 27th October 2013, 12:50

Still making those claims?

• Jono (@me262) said on 27th October 2013, 23:17

@silence and what age would you put on someone trying to push off their opinions with a statement that questions the comprehension and reasoning of anyone in disagreeance with your theories? Is it too dificult to understand that people have a differing opinion to yours?

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 23:24

@me262 Absolutely not. It’s difficult to understand how people repeat the same illogical things over and over even when their lack of logic has already been proven.

The funniest part of this conversation is, that we’re arguing for nothing. I said Vettel was the best this season, which you agree with. The end.

Then the whole talk about being full of confidence is completely uncalled for, I’ve never said Vettel is better than Raikkonen, Hamilton or Alonso, so you seem to be looking for a fight where there’s none. As I said, time to give it a rest.

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 23:31

The “time to give it a rest” applies to me, too.

• Jono (@me262) said on 27th October 2013, 23:49

@silence said

if thats not confidence I dont know what is? lol but I see no rubber stamp on your opinion…yes yes I see your ‘logic’, there are many with the same infallible logic that you posses. Let me give you some insight on the ‘illogical things’ some illogical people like myself illogically think: statitistics do not give you the best driver at present OR the best driver in history
          in other words: in my ‘illogical’ book, schumacher is the most succesful driver ever. Dosent make him the best though. There are too many differentiating variables in F1 to declare one’s opinions and use of statistics as ‘facts’
          I tell you what if rbr/vettel win the championship again next year, with the regulation changes in store … they would have to go down as one of the most dominant in history?

as i said, I agree with it because of the impossibility of parity in F1. ‘Vettel has been the best this season’ – yeah, no sheet :)

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 23:54

@me262

Who has said the contrary? Again, arguing where’s nothing to argue.

• Jono (@me262) said on 27th October 2013, 23:57

@silence you did when you rubbished my opinion. whos arguing?

• TheBass (@) said on 28th October 2013, 0:05

@me262 Incorrect. I’ve never mentioned statistics, results, or anything as such. See? You don’t even know what you’re arguing about!

Just so you know: it was about Vettel being on a class on his own this season due to his car only. Which is not true, it’s because he’s the only only one who has driven flawlessly and has outperformed his teammate both on quali and race.

Aaaaaand that’s it. Nothing worth of this whole drama.

• Jono (@me262) said on 28th October 2013, 0:15

statistics and results are inherently related to vettels ‘class above anyone else’ why would you be mentioning it then ??????? because he hasnt won the last 6 races and won the championship a hundred and more points ahead with 17 races to go?

yeah maybe just go back to sleep, dont worry about it. I’ll keep it light next time

• TheBass (@) said on 28th October 2013, 0:24

@me262 You really like mixing things, don’t you. I already summarized my point to make it clearer for you, I can’t really do any more than that.

11. iFelix (@ifelix) said on 27th October 2013, 11:18

On a different note, and I excuse for language in advance:
    Lotus pit wall people have **** inside their head as brain. Even a goat could see that China of 2012 would be repeated for Kimi and they didn’t react even after the signs were as clear as possible.

12. iFelix (@ifelix) said on 27th October 2013, 11:19

And btw, since 2010 for the first time the winner of the race also won the championship!

13. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 27th October 2013, 11:20

Congrats to Vettel! He has driven well all year and despite the race being a bit clumsy for him today I think he has fully deserved all his WDCs.

14. toiago (@toiago) said on 27th October 2013, 11:21

Well, he did it again. At first I didn’t like Vettel very much, but he really convinced me this season! He has been incredibly consistent, maximising the car, and with such perfection that he surely must be one of the all time greats. He has been the best for some time now, and that is just undeniable. Great job Sebastian, keep going!

15. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 27th October 2013, 11:22

Congrats Seb! Once again well deserved WDC.
    He surely knows how to please the crowd :)

16. Rigi (@rigi) said on 27th October 2013, 11:24

much deserved. congratulations.

17. Gray (@rgray) said on 27th October 2013, 11:26

2013 season has been complete and utter boredom. I love the sport but when one driver and team has pretty much clinched the championship early on it’s boring. When one driver dominates most of the races it’s total boredom.

All I saw of today’s race were the final laps. No need to go back and watch the rest. My hope is next year everyone struggles with new regulations and it’s a tight contest.

If Red Bull and Vettel continue to dominate the sport many may not bother to watch.

• Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 27th October 2013, 11:28

@rgray

Sad, but true :-)

• Gray (@rgray) said on 27th October 2013, 11:40

Congratulations to Red Bull and Vettle for winning the titles but I just wish it was a closer battle that went down to Brazil. I think Vettle is a great driver but some of his actions this year make him look immature and arrogant. Taking the win away from Webber in Mallaysia. Then for Vettle to say Webber didn’t deserve the win is completely unsportsmanlike.

I’m waiting to see how he behaves when he has to struggle for wins or when he’s not winning.

• David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 27th October 2013, 11:56

@rgray
          Perhaps what Vettel did at Sepang wasn’t right per se, but do remember that Vettel won 2 of his WDCs by less than the 7 point difference between 1st and 2nd. In addition, why should Vettel let Webber win? Webber himself could care less about helping Vettel, as evident from Silverstone 2011 and even worse, Interlagos 2012.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 27th October 2013, 12:01

@rgray – I think that’s why so many people have trouble accepting him as a legend of the sport. Compared to other legends, he has never really had to demonstrate key skills like becoming the rallying point for s struggling team. Combined with the perception that the team always and unfairly side with him – however true or false that is happens to be beside the point; the fact that people believe it in the first place is the important part – mean that he’s going to struggle to be accepted.

I noticed that Autosport’s lead story is an opinion piece called “Why Vettel is a true legend” (or similar). That, to me, is evidence that he is not a legend. Either you are a legend of the sport, or you are not. There shouldn’t be a need for an opinion piece justifying the position that you are. That they are being written at all demonstrates that Vettel has a long way to go.

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 20:29

@prisoner-monkeys “Media experts write about why he is a legend, that’s the proof he’s not!”

That’s as irrational as it gets.

That piece, if you had read it, it was a response to the constant, mostly baseless criticism Vettel has got this season. Similar pieces, both in favor and against other great of the sport like Schumacher and Senna, were written in their time. It’s not a particularly smart argument.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 28th October 2013, 2:02

@silence – If someone is a genuine legend of the sport, it shouldn’t be up for debate. You don’t see people debating about whether Schumacher, Senna, Prost or Fangio are legends. They just are. But Vettel, on the other hand, needs constant opinion pieces to justify his position as a legend. If those pieces are needed, then it stands to reason that there is a strong case against it. And if there is a strong case against it, then he’s clearly not accepted as a legend of the sport.

• Anele (@anele-mbethe) said on 28th October 2013, 3:18

so I guess redbull weren’t struggling when vettel beat them in the toro rosso?

• TheBass (@) said on 28th October 2013, 10:59

@prisoner-monkeys

I don’t see them now. But at their time, they had plenty of detractors, especially Senna and Schumacher.

Everything has always been up to debate, and not only for them or in F1, it applies to any sport. You haven’t thought about this carefully enough.

• Malik (@malik) said on 27th October 2013, 11:36

Come on the race was fantastic ! I really loved it not knowing who is going to finish in what position

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 27th October 2013, 11:59

Conversely to you. I didn’t bother to watch the second half of the race. Once it seemed clear that alternate stratagies weren’t going to cut it, I just wasn’t interested so after lap 30odd I left it be. I get equal amounts of ‘enjoyment’ out of spending 10 seconds looking over the final results, as watching people fight for 2nd place (or even no place of significace whatsoever as the case often is), as I do from watching the whole race. So my thinking is, why waste 1 hour 30 mins to get the same amount of enjoyment I can get in 10 seconds.

Probabaly won’t bother with the rest of the season.

• kpcart said on 27th October 2013, 15:26

you didn’t watch he second half of an f1 race, and missed out on a seriously impetuous moment in f1 history, the winning of a 4th championship in a row by a megastar, a seriously great 26 year old driver.
        you missed that, and then login to an f1 website to make a comment – I don’t get that. if you don’t bother with the rest of the season, I hope you wont waste our and your time writing comments here.

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 27th October 2013, 17:26

I didn’t watch what I knew was going to happen, and that makes me a bad person? I don’t support Vettel or Red Bull, why should I be a slave to watching them win all the time – because I’m witnessing greatness? Maybe I just don’t care about Red Bull/Vettel greatness.

• SpadSXIII said on 27th October 2013, 12:08

2013 season has been complete and utter boredom

It wasn’t that bad in the beggining, looked like Lotus and Ferrari could compete al least. It has been a total reddull since Hungary, though.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 27th October 2013, 15:24

I don’t think it’s boring. I even get a kick out of seeing the Caterhams and Marussias fighting for 10th in the WCC. If it’s predictable then it’s not as good as it can be, but there are enough things going on during a race weekend and the race itself to enjoy it.

18. linnis (@ldawson) said on 27th October 2013, 11:26

Yes Vettel!!!!!!!! You deserved this WDC so much! :D:D:D

19. As curiosity, is there a chance he gets a fine or grid penalty for his great celebration? As if it really mattered… Excellent to live to see history being written. Congratulations!!!!!!!!

• TheBass (@) said on 27th October 2013, 11:31

There is a chance, of course. I doubt the FIA will persue it due to the obvious special circumstances, but the option is there.

• George (@george) said on 27th October 2013, 12:24

I’m just wondering if he’ll get in trouble for throwing his gloves into the crowd, as he then had to get weighed. The extra fuel and tyres he burned off doing the doughnuts might make the car somewhat lighter too…

• I imagine they’ll give him a fine because they have to, really. Apart from that I doubt there will be anything more severe than maybe a reprimand.

It’s a bit like the lift situation in Singapore: they don’t want to give penalties for things which entertain the viewers!

20. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 27th October 2013, 11:30