Vettel wins drivers’ title for fourth year running

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Buddh International Circuit, 2013Sebastian Vettel has become the Formula One drivers’ champion for the fourth year in a row following his victory in the Indian Grand Prix.

He is only the third driver in Formula One history to win the title for four years running. The first was Juan Manuel Fangio, who became champion for the second time in 1954 then won the next three championships as well.

The other driver to win four in a row was Michael Schumacher, who took five of his seven championship victories consecutively between 2000 and 2004.

The 26-year-old Red Bull driver is the only person ever to win his first four championship titles consecutively.

Vettel said it was “unbelievable” to see his name alongside the sport’s all-time greats.

“I’m speechless,” he said on the podium after the race. “I crossed the line, I was empty. I took ages to think about something to say. It’s one of these moments you wish to say so many things but you can’t.”

Vettel said it had been a “phenomenal” season for the team. “I said it on the radio, it gives me so much power than it’s a pleasure to jump in the car and go out for the guys and just try to give it all I have.”

“The car was phenomenal today, It was phenomenal all season to be honest so I couldn’t ask for more.”

“The spirit in the team is fantastic,” he added. “The sort of numbers and statistics that we have done in the last four years is unbelievable.”

“I don’t feel old – I’m getting older but I think I’m not that old yet – but to achieve that in a short amount of time is very difficult to grasp. Maybe in ten years’ time, I’m trying very hard to come to the level I am now, maybe then I’m a little bit better in actually understanding what we have done so far.”

Team principal Christan Horner said: “For Sebastian to have joined the illustrious names of [Juan Manuel] Fangio, [Alain] Prost and [Michael] Schumacher is an incredible achievement, especially at such a young age and it?s a privilege to work with him.”

List of Formula One drivers’ champions

=16 Jenson Button 1

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Indian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

169 comments on Vettel wins drivers’ title for fourth year running

1. Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 27th October 2013, 14:52

I genuinely think this season has been Vettel’s most impressive title-winning season of the four: impeccably fast and consistent, got good points when necessary (e.g. Australia and Spain), good, clean starts even when not starting from pole (Bahrain, Germany Monaco are examples) and has made crucial, and even controversial overtakes to set the foundations for some of his wins (Bahrain, Germany & Malaysia of course), even today’s race can be a. Strategy seemed to have been against him today and in Suzuka, but still in both races, Vettel extracted the performance needed to turn things in his favour.

It may be slightly more dominant than his 2011 season statistically-speaking should be win the remaining three races, but unlike 2011 somewhat, it has been more of a complete demonstration of driving qualities from him.

2. aka_robyn said on 27th October 2013, 15:40

Vettel’s not bad, sure — but for me, until he shows he’s capable of winning championships by attaching a set of wheels to my toaster in lieu of a car and starting from the pit lane in every single race, I’m afraid I will rate him only an 8 or perhaps 8.5 out of 10. Time will tell!

But seriously. Here’s to four more (at the very minimum). :-)

3. svarun (@svarun) said on 27th October 2013, 16:03

Congrats to RedBull and Vettel.
    But really waiting for to see the person who will stop this juggernaut of red bull,
    anyone for a change will do,
    from Alonso to van der garde..Anyone!!

4. Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 27th October 2013, 16:23

@keithcollantine sleeping about world champions- today Robert Kubica won the WRC2 drivers title. In his debut season he won in wrc2 category also scoring points in the wrc (5th and 7th if I’m not mistaken). His 5th place overal driving a wrc2 car is a standup result what makes him mech exF1 driver after Kimi to score WRC points.

5. Maeve (@maeve08) said on 27th October 2013, 16:24

Congrats Seb for winning the fourth consecutive Formula One World Title and the youngest to do so! And doing doughnuts to celebrate it is just the perfect way! And congratulations to Red Bull Racing for winning their Formula 1 constructors’ championship for the fourth consecutive year..

I’ve been closely following F1 for 2 seasons now though i was fascinated by the sports way back Schumi’s dominating era. I’ve watched the Singapore GP live last year and this year. The experience is really amazing. And I have been reading in this site almost everyday this season. thanks Keith and the rest of F1fanatic for the wonderful articles. the commenters here are really intelligent, from very technical F1 comments to physics and science. you guys are amazing! one of the best F1 site indeed!

6. dot_com (@dot_com) said on 27th October 2013, 16:57

Congrats, well deserved. It’s a great car :)

7. Congrats to Vettel and Red Bull, they did a fantastic job. But personaly I hope that next year someone else will win the championship.
    Btw, found this funny footage where Raikkonen gets shouted at for not moving over fast enough.

8. smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 27th October 2013, 19:02

Really great drive from Vettel, however…. was I the only one to see him using DRS on the main straight when the telemetry showed he was still 2.4 seconds behind…..

9. Anele (@anele-mbethe) said on 28th October 2013, 3:25

impressed instantly in a BMW, won a race in a torro rosso beating the senior team in the process, went to said senior team and became the last piece of the puzzle and delivered four world titles in the process. He’s a legend of the sport and has nothing to prove even if he retired tomorrow

10. Of course if there has to be a chance of winning the title, you have to have an excellent team, car and driver. Since when has that not been the case in this and any other sport for that matter ?
    In F1 , In the end its the driver that brings it home. Well done Seb !

11. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 28th October 2013, 9:57

I’ve been a fan of Seb since he was driving in Torro Rosso… awesome to see him win all these years.

Can’t wait to see what the RB10 is like!

12. Drezone said on 28th October 2013, 11:03

Couldn’t help but think newey looked more like 4 time champion on the podium than vettel.

I’ll stick with what I’ve said before.

Vettel deserved 2011 and 2013 no doubt and was the best driver of those seasons. Everyone knows last year alonso was the best driver and deserved the title and vettel got lucky and 2010 was really webbers season as was best driver over the whole season but red bull didn’t want someone not part of the young drivers programme to spoil the party and stuffed up his end if season and almost gave the title to Ferrari and alonso on a plate but lucky for them they dropped the ball in the final and got lucky again.

Imagine if alonso won 2010 and 2012 then he would be 4 time champion and vettel two times or even webber winning 2010 would vettel have had the confidence to win four in a row. Paints a different picture I suppose.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 28th October 2013, 15:33

2010 wasn’t Webber’s season, he and Alonso got lucky with car reliability to be as close to Vettel as they were.
      2012 wasn’t Alonso’s season, as he had a collision in Japan, only won 3 races, and lost the championship despite a huge lead, though he drove a great season.