One-stop strategy was worth a try – Raikkonen

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Buddh International Circuit, 2013Kimi Raikkonen said his one-stop strategy in the Indian Grand Prix was worth a try even though he fell from second to seventh at the end of the race when his tyres went off.

“We tried something different with a one stop strategy and it didn?t work,” said Raikkonen, “but we didn?t lose anything by making a late second stop over running the normal two stop strategy.”

Raikkonen said he would have had difficult making a two-stop strategy work because his brakes were giving him trouble:

“I had a brake problem for all of the race where they were overheating, and this got worse in traffic so I couldn’t overtake.”

Raikkonen will make his third start at Yas Marina this weekend, following his victory there last year. “I have had one very boring race being stuck in the middle group and then one great race fighting for the victory at the top,” he said. “I know which I prefer.”

He drove in F1′s first race at the track in 2009, which was also his last for Ferrari. “That was a boring one I can tell you,” he said. “I finished back in 12th position and there was nothing I could do about it. Those sorts of races are not the best.”

“A race like last year would be good, rather than the one I had there in 2009,” he added.

2013 Indian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Indian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

26 comments on One-stop strategy was worth a try – Raikkonen

1. Amanda said on 29th October 2013, 14:49

Wasn’t aware of kimi’s brake issues…..

I thought he drove a crappy race and slate him for it……

Sorry for misunderstanding Kimi. Awesome as always, brake issues but didn’t looked like he was having 1 by observing his lap time.

2. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 29th October 2013, 14:54

It still seems wiser to have pitted Kimi as soon as his lap times started dropping off dramatically. They likely lost more time keeping him out so many laps on shot tires, then pitting anyway. He ended up about 15 seconds behind Hamilton. How many seconds did he lose staying out before finally pitting? Still a good drive by Kimi under adverse conditions, without even considering all the extraneous hoopla.

3. Candice said on 29th October 2013, 14:58

Thats the only way. Brake issues forced Kimi to pit early which jeopardize 1 stop but two stopper still on the card.

However, a slow 6.7 seconds pit stop threw him to the back of the pack. Meaning, its either 1 stop or lower than 7th finisher with 2 stops.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 29th October 2013, 19:09

No: Raikkonen started on the tyres he qualified on, which meant he had to do a longer stint on the primes than Grosjean – that’s what cost him in the end.

4. grreso said on 29th October 2013, 15:14

I still wonder how he managed to do best lap time despite brakes problem?

5. In Motegi recently, Rossi also reporting brakes problem. I also think my car’s brakes getting softer and softer. Perhaps something to do with age, cannot lie.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 30th October 2013, 9:44

I don’t know, but I don’t quite fall for that. Kimi is a too “direct” guy to bother lying. Plus, he had a retirement because of brake problems in recent races (Belgium). So, yeah, very probably Lotus is doing something wrong with the brakes.

6. Sammi said on 30th October 2013, 9:12

So Kimi likes oversteer. He can’t get that with camber settings because of the restrictions so it’s more brake bias to the rear and that ups the heat of the breaks. Kimi was changing the bias often in the onboard shots. So the tyre change from Pirelli is giving him all kinds of troubles that can only be changed by driving style?