2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Suzuka, 2013Kimi Raikkonen has warned Lotus the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be his last drive for them if they do not pay him his outstanding wages.

Raikkonen told reporters in Abu Dhabi “I haven’t been paid a single Euro this year” by the team.

“It’s an unfortunate thing because I understand the team’s side of it,” said Raikkonen.

“But sometimes when you been put in a position and told different stories and people thinks that you don’t work for the team or you don’t care what happens to them it’s not exactly true if I’m doing it without being really being paid.”

Raikkonen said he had considered not racing because of the situation. He has already agreed to drive for Ferrari next and said earlier in the season the shortfall in payments from Lotus was part of the reason why.

He indicated he had addressed the matter with the team again in Abu Dhabi, saying: “Hopefully we have a bit better understanding on certain issues what has been going through the whole year.”

“I mean unfortunately we end up in that kind of situation and is not really anything to do with me. In the end we try to enjoy this team but on the other side it’s a business and if you don’t respect on that side you can end up in this kind of situation.”

Raikkonen added the radio row between him and trackside operations director Alan Permane was not a significant factor in his warning to the team or his refusal to show up for media engagements yesterday:

“In the end it has happened and it doesn’t change anything any more. But I mean that’s not the reason why I wasn’t here yesterday, it’s part of it but I wouldn’t say that this is a big part of it.”

2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

165 comments on Raikkonen warns he may miss last two races as Lotus “haven’t paid a single Euro”

1. Juzh (@juzh) said on 1st November 2013, 17:55

I thought raikkonen loves racing? Guess money is more important.

2. dodge5847 (@dodge5847) said on 1st November 2013, 18:03

keep and eye on the prize, if they manage second, the payout is huge, i am sure they will pay him then. Its not the right thing to do, but I am sure that a team like lotus will pay their debts

3. Victor. (@victor) said on 1st November 2013, 18:06

To be quite frank given all this I find the way Lotus has acted towards Raikkonen since he announced his switch to Ferrari a little childish. It strikes me that Boullier seems to think that the team – and he in particular – is the victim here, portraying a situation where Raikkonen backstabbed the team (think bunny tweet) by leaving for ‘money’ or whatever (which, strictly speaking, is true). Intentionally or not, there seems to be an animosity towards Raikkonen coming from the higher ladders of the team – already in Korea it seemed weird to me that Boullier himself pushed Grosjean to regain the place from Kimi, never mind being told by Parmane whether he could please move out of the way.

Truth is, they shouldn’t just be grateful he even bothers but should appreciate the fact he’s kept it relatively quiet for half a year. The situation strikes me as one where Boullier was given entrance to the toy shop with brilliant performances at the beginning of the year and is now sulky that he’s not having his member card renewed.

4. SatchelCharge (@satchelcharge) said on 1st November 2013, 18:07

Lotus will want him in those last two races if they desire a chance to grab 2nd in the WCC. Maybe he’s found a way to force Lotus to pay him.

5. danclapp (@danclapp) said on 1st November 2013, 18:10

Yes i said this back along when he was getting praised for still racing?, Huh what so he should race the guy is set up for not 1 life loads of lies he never needs another penny again he as it all in his balance. Yeh yeh its a contract and it shoulnt be broken i get that. but i have no sympathy this is a guy who as earned extortianate amounts lol why should he not race, he is after all a boy racer who races anything quick according to some.

• danclapp (@danclapp) said on 1st November 2013, 18:11

Edit: loads of lifes not lies.

• mrsmiggins said on 1st November 2013, 20:06

Maybe we should scrap pay in F1 altogether then, since they’re all basically set up for life.

Oh wait. That’s what hobbyists do.

• Sammo said on 1st November 2013, 20:24

Well, i think it’s the disrespect that bothers him the most? Rich people need a lot of money, they have huge expenses (“it’s not the large income, but the low expenditure”). I think he would have raced for free if he didn’t need the money. If Kimi did race for free some would probably say “he has to race for free, otherwise nobody would want him”. Haters keep on hating.

• Maybe Genii should forego profit or paying anyone else as well because they love racing? Are Boullier or Premane getting paid?
      Hypocracy thy name is Lotus… Everyone who says he should do it for free is welcome to join him in solidarity by donating a year’s wages to charity, or just ****.

6. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 1st November 2013, 18:13

Th definition of poetic justice would be Kimi wins in Abu Dhabi!

7. Jack (@jmc200) said on 1st November 2013, 18:19

At first I thought Kimi was being a bit petty with his demands, but if he really hasn’t been paid at all, well that is shocking. If anyone here wasn’t paid for their job all year, they would have the right to complain or leave, it doesn’t matter if Kimi’s very rich, the principle is he hasn’t been paid. I would like him to miss the last two races to see who Lotus used, I hope it’s d’Ambrosio!

8. mina (@nusha200) said on 1st November 2013, 18:32

So basically lotus keeps on pressing Kimi’s buttons. First they dont pay him his money for driving fantastically all year, then they let a Alan shout and curse on the radio. Uncool Lotus!!!

• Exactly, and so very very very smart of Kimi to leave Lotus. He himself said, in response to a question from Ted Kravitz, that he was never treated like that at either McLaren or Ferrari.

Lotus =/= class

9. evered7 (@evered7) said on 1st November 2013, 18:46

Kimi, do a solid and opt out of the race remaining in the calendar. Help Ferrari with 2nd spot and get paid more next year.

Double Whammy :)

10. Jake (@jleigh) said on 1st November 2013, 18:51

I feel so sorry for Raikkonen, having to drive one of the best cars in the world for nothing… Oh wait… No I don’t!

• tvm (@tvm) said on 1st November 2013, 19:33

+1000

Other drivers has to pay to get that seat, he cant even be bothered to show up for sponsor work or be bothered to join his teams for off race work if he doesn’t like the car, reacts like a kid when spoken to.

Good riddance, hope he gets shafted at Ferrari, what a child.

• evered7 (@evered7) said on 1st November 2013, 20:24

“Other drivers have to pay to get that seat” – Surely you are not saying Maldonado/some other driver is equal to Kimi.

Kimi is a 1-time WDC and has scored consistently for Lotus following his return. Anyone who does his job deserves to be paid, Period.

• Sammo said on 1st November 2013, 20:30

“reacts like a kid when spoken to” So you have spoken with Kimi how many times? You probably own a few shares on Rexona too, because the lack of PR work is a concern for you. I like watching him race and “i couldn’t care less” if he’s not promoting anti-perspirants.

• PeterH (@peterh) said on 1st November 2013, 20:34

-1001

Any good reasons to show up for sponsor work if you haven’t been paid all season? :D Especially when sponsor work is Kimis favorite hobby number 2, number 1 is seeing his dentist.

• Jarmo (@jouhakainen) said on 1st November 2013, 20:43

When you are ready to work for free let me know.

• greg-c said on 1st November 2013, 21:02

Pay drivers dont put 168 points in the bank .

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 1st November 2013, 21:31

You know, having to pay for your seat is not exactly a merit ;)

• tvm (@tvm) said on 1st November 2013, 22:36

Why show up to sponsor events?

Because its his ****** job, thats why, if you guys haven’t noted theres a global financial crisis going on, meanwhile this little spoiled brat is complaining about everything, showing the attitude of a 13 year old.

Wish he would just leave so we don’t have to listen to his pathetic attempt at English one word sentences which he cant even be bothered with learning properly for x millions a year.

So he didn’t get paid so far, if he has half a brain he wouldn’t exactly need money by now ( he may have spend it all on Vodka for all I know), but he got to be on one of the best teams in F1, he could have made it work, worked with them to better the car, instead he just walks the minute the car doesn’t suit him. Good riddance, hope he gets the second fiddle at Ferrari.

• Jarred Walmsley (@jarred-walmsley) said on 2nd November 2013, 5:52

Yes, its his job. His job he HASN’T BEEN PAID FOR, so why the hell should he continue doing it? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

From all appearances its not so much the money as it is the principal, would you continue to do your job if you weren’t being paid for it?

I think not, I know this cause I certainly wouldn’t do my job if I was supposed to be being paid for it and I wasn’t getting paid.

Sure, he may have a few mil in the bank, but why shouldn’t he continue to get paid for doing his job. I suspect you despise Kimi for some reason and are using this as an opportunity to bereate him. Guess what, its stupid. Personally I don’t like Kimi either, I think he’s bit of a jerk, but I support him in this because its a matter of principles.

Do all of us a favour and shut up

• Sure, he may have a few mil in the bank, but why shouldn’t he continue to get paid for doing his job.

PLUS he has been paying HIS expenses and his SUPPORT TEAM’S expenses out of his own pocket! Of course he needs to get paid to recover these expenses! Sheesh, people!

• tvm (@tvm) said on 2nd November 2013, 11:03

Hasn’t been paid for YET… if nothing else he can take them to court.

Bottom line is he was given a once on in a lifetime change to come back to F1 and work with 1 of the best teams to do great things, and instead getting on with the tasks he has been busy yelling “Don’t talk to me while I’m cornering” and walking away when the steering doesn’t fit him when really he should have just stuck with it, doing the laps that the team needs to get crucial info.

An yes I do plenty of “free” work, local clubs, red cross, you name it, its a gift to be allowed to do it, just like it should have been a gift to Raikkonen to be allowed to race for one of the greats after he walked away demotivated once (at Ferrari).

Spoiled brat, nothing else.

• mrsmiggins said on 2nd November 2013, 20:15

You talk about taking multi-million dollar companies to court as an individual like it’s a walkthrough procedure. LOL

Number of races RAI has started this year: 16/16. Number of races he has finished this year: 15/16. Number of finishes in points this year: 14/16. No matter how you feel about him or his antics personally, you can hardly accuse him of not having done his job. And don’t tell me Lotus didn’t know *exactly* who they were hiring when they signed RAI, promotional buffoonery and all. Although I sympathize with the team’s situation, this is all part of the deal Lotus is now dishonoring. You just can’t have the cake and eat it.

• Jarred Walmsley (@jarred-walmsley) said on 3rd November 2013, 6:05

@tvm Except he was supposed to be paid his salary in equal portions, therefore he hasn’t been paid for 89% (end of Abu Dhabi) of his work completed. Thats 89% of his salary that was due at certain dates that hasn’t been paid.

I sense you despise Raikkonen for how he acts and fair enough, you don’t like the man. I can’t stand Hamilton, but if he was in this situation I would say exactly the same things as I am about Raikkonen who I happen to quite like.

You need to see that this is a serious issue irrespective of the fact it was Kimi, imagine it was your favourite driver in this situation, I doubt you’d be saying the same things you are now.

11. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 1st November 2013, 18:58

A F1 driver on strike! That’s not something you see every day. :)

If I were paranoid, I would say he has made a shady deal with Ferrari to prevent Lotus from passing the italian team in the standings by not driving for them…

12. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 1st November 2013, 19:04

2 races without Kimi? Hey Boullier listen to me!!!!!!!!!!! Give the car to Maldonado one race, and to Hulkenberg on the other. The best of them both gets the contract for next year. If they want to be unpaid of course.

• N7 (@m77) said on 1st November 2013, 20:22

good idea!

• renton said on 1st November 2013, 21:45

It’s a no-brainer… THE HULK all the way

• Merv (@) said on 1st November 2013, 22:02

The point is that Maldonado comes along better than unpaid, in financial terms at least.
      Even if they pay Hulk zero, even if he agreed to do it for absolutely nothing, they’d be somewhere in the region of €40M better off with Maldonado.

Caveat: I’m not including any potential points difference, cost of replacing written off F1 cars or potential developmental input.

• That’s a big caveat. Hulk’s point haul vs “bad present’s” (MAL= bad donado=Gift?) and the extra cost of making more carbon fibre for him = Hulk more than makes up for any amount of money left (probably marginal) in the PDVSA coffer after the big scandal in Venezuela.

13. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 1st November 2013, 19:14

I said when Lotus announced that they had signed Kimi that their limited resources would have been better spent on developing the car than paying a driver’s salary. Now it seems they’ve had the best of both worlds.

There’s no denying that Kimi’s time with Lotus has largely been a success, and car development hasn’t really suffered, but clearly the team is in a difficult situation financially and owing their lead driver millions of Euros isn’t exactly helping matters.

I wonder if Lotus were hoping Raikkonen unilaterally wouldn’t turn up for Abu Dhabi (he says he considered it after India) so that they could claim breach of contract and get out of some of their financial obligations?

• TheBass (@) said on 1st November 2013, 19:44

@red-andy

Kinda difficult to claim breach of contract when you haven’t been paying your employee.

14. Owen Conwell (@skitty4lb) said on 1st November 2013, 19:49

Agree with Keith Collantine that it’s shocking that a team which could realistically finish as the second best team in Formula 1 (from a points standing view) does not yet have enough money to pay one of their drivers.

Is this really a case of simply not having a lucrative enough sponsorship deal? If true, that also is a shame. And confusing for me. Lotus have already had a major upswing in performance since 2012. Why a large company wouldn’t want to be a major sponsor for a popular and sleek looking team with one of if not THE most popular driver on the grid in Raikkonen maybe speak more about the economic climate then we thought. Or maybe interest in Formula 1 sponsorship is down, although I haven’t read any such stories.

Lotus just need a hip a colorful cigarette company to change their entire paint scheme and I’m sure they would be fine. Just as long as company doesn’t mind their product name to never even show in any country ever.

A legitimate John Player Special branding would look spectacular! I can dream…

15. N7 (@m77) said on 1st November 2013, 20:18

A sad state of affairs, but I do agree that paying the team’s employees is priority over Kimi’s wages