Leimer started fourth on the grid for Saturday’s feature race but was quickly ahead of title rival Sam Bird who stalled on the front row of the grid.
Bird was able to rejoin the race after the Safety Car was deployed following a collision between Jon Lancaster and Tom Dillmann. He worked his way up to tenth place for the final point.
Leimer dropped off the podium in the final laps as Marcus Ericsson passed him, but with Bird unable to make further progress the Racing Engineering driver clinched the title.
Alexander Rossi took the race win, jumping ahead of Jolyon Palmer during the mandatory pit stops.
Leimer took the lead in the points standings five races ago but has had Bird in close company since then. Leimer’s three wins this season have all come in feature races in Malaysia, Bahrain and Italy.
- Live: 2013 GP2 Abu Dhabi Sprint Race
- Live: 2013 GP2 Abu Dhabi Feature Race
- Eleven drivers in GP2 and GP3 Abu Dhabi showdowns
- Bird and Coletti take wins amid Monaco carnage
- Coletti retains lead after sharing wins with Frijns
Browse all GP2 articles
Image © GP2/LAT