Ecclestone “sorry” Raikkonen has gone unpaid

F1 Fanatic Round-up

In the round-up: Bernie Ecclestone expresses sympathy for Kimi Raikkonen who hasn’t been paid all year.Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Buddh International Circuit, 2013

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Bernie Ecclestone ‘feels sorry’ for Kimi Raikkonen over unpaid wages (The Guardian)

“He has signed a contract with somebody, they need to pay him. He now needs to do what he can to get paid. I feel sorry for him but he should have been a little more sensible when he signed the contract and know what he was signing for. If he drove for me, I’d have paid him.”

Ecclestone says door is open for India return (Reuters)

“A deal has been done for India to return to the Formula One calendar in 2015 and for six years beyond that if tax problems with the country’s authorities can be overcome, commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone said on Saturday.”

Nico Hulkenberg Q&A: Teams should prioritise talent (F1)

“As a driver you want your performance to be the only argument, but it is different lately. Teams are under pressure as we are in tough times, so some teams take drivers with money rather than with no money.”

Mexico, New Jersey both off 2014 F1 schedule (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“The Mexican and New Jersey races that currently figure on the 2014 F1 world championship calendar will both be absent from the final version when it emerges from the FIA World Motor Sport Council in December.”

Alonso: Massa qualifying form no worry (Autosport)

“In the last three or four races it was Felipe in front of me in qualifying, but in those races I finished in front and I have a lot more points.”

Vettel’s passion is for two as F1 star reveals love for vintage motorbikes (Daily Mail)

“Vettel is currently in the process of doing up the BMW R 51/3 his grandfather used to ride while a vintage Vespa is another restoration job.”

2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – Post Qualifying Press Conference (FIA)

Mark Webber: “I think it?s probably no super secret that I like the more flowing circuits but you have to put your heads down and get on with these types of circuits like Singapore and Abu Dhabi and do the absolute maximum and do the best.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@AdrianMorse is hoping for another battle between the two Red Bull drivers:

I really hope Webber doesn?t fluff his start tomorrow. If he?s leading after the first corner tomorrow and it?s a one-stop race, it could be difficult for Vettel to beat him, even if he?s the faster driver ?ǣ which he usually is.

I haven?t seen any of the long runs, but if many drivers are able to complete the race with only one step, then I don?t see Raikkonen making much progress. If the norm is two and Raikkonen can comfortably do one, then he can make some progress, but even then the podium looks far without serious mishaps in the top ten.
@AdrianMorse

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today

On this day in F1

Graham Hill won the world championship for the second time 45 years ago today in Mexico.

He won a three-way title decider with reigning champion Denny Hulme and Jackie Stewart.

His Lotus team also won the constructors’ championship, bringing them some cheer in a season in which they had lost the great Jim Clark.

Here’s a brief news clip with some footage from the race:

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

82 comments on Ecclestone “sorry” Raikkonen has gone unpaid

1. In GP3 news, Daniil Kvyat won the championship with one race to spare.

2. Alex Brown (@splittimes) said on 3rd November 2013, 9:31

If he drove for me, I’d have paid him.

I would say he does drive for you, Bernie, and so do all the other drivers. You could go further and say that, whilst you’re profiting from their work, everyone in the industry is practically in your employment, including the marshals, who are also unpaid.

3. WarfieldF1 (@warfieldf1) said on 4th November 2013, 9:36

Bernie is unlikely to enjoy the fact that one of the top performing teams in F1 is not paying its driver like it agreed and that this is now public knowledge. He will undoubtedly be putting pressure on Lotus.

Interestingly, there was a programme about Eddie Irvine around the time of his book, Green Races Red;(1997?) and he stated his annual earnings were around 3 times his Ferrari salary after endorsements and personal appearances……..on that basis Kimi is earning plenty, and has plenty in the bank already…… BUT isnt this about honouring your contract and keeping your word.

4. javlinsharp (@javlinsharp) said on 4th November 2013, 18:48

An honest question…
    If Nico H is so good, why cant he get sponsorship to compete with the likes of MAL. Sure, I understand MAL gets money from his government who has an interest in promoting the country, and that HUL will never get THAT much money, but with a few million plus all his talent, shouldn’t that be enough to push him over the top of people like MAL?

• TheBass (@) said on 4th November 2013, 19:00

First, because I doubt he wants to. Being a paid driver isn’t exactly something to brag about.

Secondly, because being good has little to do with the ability to get sponspors. It has more to do with experior motives (like Sirotkin or Maldonado) or massive popularity (think Schumacher).

• javlinsharp (@javlinsharp) said on 5th November 2013, 16:16

I agree about the stigma of being a “Pay Driver”, but I think you have the terminology wrong. A Pay Driver is one who does not belong in an F1 car but is given a seat because of Massive financial contribution. Anyway, being a Pay Driver is better than having no drive at all.

I disagree about driver sponsorships. Nearly every driver has sponsors…
        ALO – Oakley, Europcar, Viceroy