Magnussen tipped as contender for Perez’s seat

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Kevin Magnussen, McLaren, Buddh International Circuit, 2013In the round-up: Formula Renault 3.5 champion Kevin Magnussen emerges as a potential contender for Sergio Perez’s F1 seat.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Perez’s place in doubt (The Telegraph)

“McLaren are considering promoting young Danish driver Kevin Magnussen to be Jenson Button?s team-mate next season, with the jury still out on Sergio Perez.”

Perez closing on 2014 McLaren deal (Autosport)

“Sources suggest the most likely outcome now is for Perez to be handed a single-year extension to his deal, with strict performance clauses against Button that he must fulfil if he is going to have a chance of staying for 2015.”

Magnussen in McLaren frame (Sky)

“McLaren have considered placing Magnussen at Marussia next season in order to gain more experience. However, it is understood that senior management increasingly see him as capable of stepping up to partner Button.”

Rookie diary – with Marussia?s Max Chilton (F1)

“Next year it?s most likely that I will stay with Marussia – but of course I have to get the deal done first. The team has good potential, but it?s crucial that we stay ahead of Caterham in the constructors? championship as the price money we?d get can make up a big percentage of our yearly budget. If we have that we can put it towards a better car for next year. That would really help! It would mean that we have the chance to start 2014 really strong.”

Kumho conducts ‘F1 test’ in Spain (Tyre Press)

“Three days of evaluation began on 16 September and Kumho says the purpose for the test was to ‘validate the technology for future business with F1 and to actually test the technology accumulated through motor sports since the 1990s for F1.'”

Mercedes still improving the W04, says Brawn (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“As I?ve mentioned before we can?t do it at the expense of next season. But there?s little things with the set-up we?re trying to do, there?s little things to better understand the tyres.”

Analysis: Rich Raikkonen still feels pain of criticism (BBC)

“It got worse after the [Indian Grand Prix], with [Alan] Permane accusing Raikkonen of “not being a team player”. Raikkonen, who has scored a comfortable majority of Lotus’s points in the last two seasons, took extreme exception to that and when he flew back home to Switzerland from Delhi he seriously considered not coming to Abu Dhabi at all.”

The Formula One schedule takes its toll (MotorSport)

“At the weekend we all heard the almost concrete rumour that neither New Jersey nor Mexico City would make it for next season. Korea does look as if it will survive the cull, appearing in April rather than in October and, after bidding farewell to the final Indian Grand Prix, apparently F1 could be back there in 2015 after signing a five-year deal with Bernie.”

Lewis’ Congratulatory Letter To Sebastian Vettel (Facebook)

Hamilton apparently wrote “congrats Seb – next year’s view” next to a picture of the back of a Mercedes.

Tweets

Comment of the day

@MaroonJack wants to see more aero restrictions to free up development opportunities elsewhere:

I?d love to see two or three different spec-wings mandated by the FIA for different types of tracks, but only if that meant unlocking technical development in other areas. For example unlocking engine development permanently, instead of restricting it more and more in the following years.

In my opinion aero innovation in F1 has become a huge waste of money. There are many other, far more interesting areas to explore, but unfortunately the rules simply don?t allow it.
@MaroonJack

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to A.S. Mahesh, Claudio Sampaio, Flowerdew and Hawksfan!

On this day in F1

Heading into qualifying for the final round of the 1993 season, 20 years ago today, Williams had taken pole position for all of the preceding 15 races.

But Ayrton Senna denied them a clean sweep with a record 1’13.371 lap around the Adelaide track in his McLaren.

Afterwards he was pressed by the media over his actions following the previous round in Japan, where he had punched Eddie Irvine:

124 comments on Magnussen tipped as contender for Perez’s seat

1. William (@william) said on 6th November 2013, 8:11

I am hearing India will return to the calendar next year according to Channel Ten. That could make it 22 races next year unless if Mexico/New Jersey drops our then the races will be reduced by 1 to 21.

2. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 6th November 2013, 8:12

Ah, another rumour spread by poor journalism. Who was it this time? Sky Sports or BBC’s Andrew Benson?

Please allow me to make something quite plain; Sergio Perez does not deserve to be replaced. Is the disparity between Perez and Button so great that one becomes the team hero and the other gets the sack? No. Have the performances of a driver that has always preferred oversteer been accurately been portrayed in such a front-limited and generally poor car? No. Are McLaren blind to Perez’s recent strong form? Of course not. And don’t be mistaken into thinking that we have a new Sebastian Vettel on our hands with Magnussen. He failed to win the FR3.5 championship on his first attempt, and actually finished behind Antonio Felix Da Costa in the standings…who didn’t do the full championship. Make no mistaken, just because Red Bull has made something of a knee-jerk decision with Kvyat, it doesn’t mean McLaren will. They are aware of all the factors I outlined, and that’s why Perez is probably signing on the dotted line as I type…

• Magnussen failed to win FR3.5 on his first attempt

? You obviously didn’t follow FR 2012 as you then would have know that KM had an exceptional amount of DNF’s that were not due to his own mistakes. To finish as high as he did under the circumstances was almost miraculous.

To be honest with you he is clearly the best bet we have seen so far. He has blinding single lap and race speed, he beats everybody when testing F1’s, he has improved at a rocket level, but more importantly: he has been brought up in a paddock and has probably the best all round understanding of racing as a whole compared to his peers. His racing maturity and technical understanding is far beyond the standard for his age.

Don’t be mistaken; Kevin’s father knows exactly what he himself was lacking to succeed and has beaten those disciplines into his sons head from the moment he could understand.

Make no mistake; Kevin Magnussen is the real deal, the new breed of over-mature, exceptionally well rounded youngsters in a magnitude of skills and in every way a possible Vettel contender. McLaren are obviously well aware of those factors since they will even consider promoting him.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 6th November 2013, 18:35

@poul – I think you have somewhat misunderstood me. I think Magnussen is the real deal, very much another Vergne, Ricciardo or Grosjean. However he hasn’t blazed through the junior categories in a fire of glory like Hamilton, Hulkenberg or even Frijns has, who all won a major championship, whether it be GP2 or FR3.5, on their first attempt. That’s what I meant when I said Magnussen did win FR3.5 on his first attempt; I meant the championship not a race. And you can cite misfortune as a reason for Magnussen’s failure to win the title, but the facts are he was not the out-and-out fastest driver in 2012, definitely behind Frijns, Da Costa and Bianchi in terms of speed, and in a series with such durable tyres, speed is the crux of a successful campaign. I’d argue that the presence of Vandoorne has robbed Magnussen of the status FR3.5’s fastest man in 2013 too, although as you so rightly point out, that is not the cornerstone of Magnussen’s talents. He is of the new Vettelian bred of young driver; mature, measured, intelligent and consistent. This is how Magnussen has managed to wipe the floor with such competent drivers as Vandoorne and Da Costa, and has put him firmly at the top of the junior series’ 2013 talented list; although admittedly that status didn’t help Frijns in 2012.

Don’t get me wrong, I emphatically believe that Magnussen should be in F1. I simply don’t believe that his career so far suggests that we have the next Lewis Hamilton on our hands, and therefore he shouldn’t be catapulted into a top team, especially if it to the detriment of a driver as good as Sergio Perez, who has simply not been given the tools to demonstrate his talent in 2013.

• The more I seem to think about it, the more I actually think Red Bull’s decision on promoting Kvyat makes sense @william-brierty. Having watched the title-deciding GP3 race, he was quite frankly brilliant. Comfortably ahead of the rest of the field – in fact I watched the F1 race (obviously) afterwards and was reminded of the images of a yellow-nosed car streaking well ahead of the field and seemingly collecting fastest lap at will.

It was a very strange choice at first glance as I think Da Costa clearly has the speed – also his 2013 season really wasn’t as bad as it appeared to some – but he does actually look like a really good driver.

We shall see, but I’m expecting him to be beating Vergne quite consistently after the first 8 or so races.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 7th November 2013, 8:12

@vettel1 Do you not think this is something of a knee-jerk from Red Bull? Kvyat has put together some brilliant performances in the past few rounds of GP3, but before that he was rather anonymous. This really doesn’t make sense to me. Kvyat was rather ordinary in the Young Driver Test, whilst Da Costa and particularly Sainz excelled. I guessed that Da Costa’s path to Toro Rosso was under threat because of this delay, but I thought they were evaluating Sainz, who at least has more than one season’s worth of experience of higher powered single seaters. I also don’t think Red Bull can look at Da Costa’s 2013 campaign and think that it is at all representative of his talents, especially since Arden Caterham have repeatedly been saying that they can’t get the car back in the window they had it in last year, and with setup being utterly paramount this year in FR3.5, I think Red Bull can only congratulate Da Costa for still managing to win three times, despite effectively having one hand behind his back. And doesn’t the fact that Da Costa was right up there with Ricciardo’s Red Bull pace at Silverstone this year rather demean the argument that there was anything other than a tangible reason for Da Costa’s lackluster season? I never thought I’d say this regarding Red Bull with all their money and might, but this is clearly a commercially motivated decision, and is building on the “WE NEED A RUSSIAN AT THE RUSSIAN GP (which actually might not happen)!” fever. I can only imagine that the conversation in which Red Bull decided to go with Kvyat looked like this…

OK, we need to choose a driver to go to Toro Rosso.

Who’s winning at the moment in the Red Bull Young Driver Programme?

Daniil Kvyat.

Sign him then.

Don’t get me wrong, Kvyat is a mighty fine driver, but it is way too early to be promoting him to F1. He needed at least one season in FR3.5, so he gets some kind of experience of F1ish power, and let’s remember GP3 is a huge power jump from his previous series anyway. Just like Sirotkin, premature promotion looks set to ruin the chances of another Russian driver, and that really is a shame, because at times over the past few rounds of GP3, you could be mistaken for thinking we had some kind of megastar on our hands with Kvyat. But the fact that his first races of his F1 career will inevitably be judged on the inevitable toils of a driver thrown in at the deep end seems a little unfair to me.

3. Girts (@girts) said on 6th November 2013, 9:21

I personally would love to see Magnussen in F1. It would be good to finally have a FR3.5 champion in F1 again (Kubica won the series in 2005 and van der Garde in 2008 but the latter made his F1 debut several years later). It would also be a nice story as Magnussen’s father was close to becoming a permanent McLaren driver.

But I think that Perez should be given another year at McLaren, too. Ideally, Magnussen should make his debut with Marussia or a similar team. I believe that it’s not a problem that drivers such as van der Garde and Chilton get chances to prove their worth in F1 but F1 simply needs more teams to accommodate all the drivers who deserve that chance.

• Gordon (@gfreeman) said on 6th November 2013, 15:09

I agree, I wish HRT stayed in F1 but under new ownership – the fact they kept swapping drivers during the season was a joke to be honest. I wonder if any serious new teams will come along any time soon…?

• there are a couple of problems with that @gfreeman,
        1. HRT couldn’t qualify within the 107% time in both 2011 and 2012
        2. their car was a piece of *****, it failed all FIA crash tests, and due to this, got no winter testing done
        3. there budget was also a load of rubbish, it’s a wonder how their car was still allowed to race
        4. Maurussia and Caterham have alot more money than HRT ever had, that is why Maurussia is going to use Ferrari engines in 2014, their consistency and their racing has rewarded them with more money and therefore better equipment

• Gordon (@gfreeman) said on 7th November 2013, 12:07

I never said they were a well functioning team, I just said that in the context of having another team and that they were the last team to leave F1 and it doesn’t look like anybody serious is coming along any time soon. While your first two points seem highly generalised let alone highly opinionated, I’m inclined to agree with what you said.

IMO, one of their biggest mistakes (among many) was to lose Geoff Willis, I think he’d have had a decent impact on the team. I do hope that a new team comes along in a few years time though.

• yeah, but I think there is some Americam team by the name of Scorpion Racing that is trying the last of HRT, but the state that Adrian Campos and the other dude left it in, I don’t think they’ll have any luck in even trying to bring their car (if the deal is done and they build the car) to a higher position, or even out of 18th. But I would applaude them for trying though

4. andae23 (@andae23) said on 6th November 2013, 9:56

Sergio Perez or Kevin Magnussen at McLaren next year? Well, Sergio Perez has been doing a good job this year in my opinion: he has the speed to keep up with Button and throughout the year his performance seems to have increased. He is a little rough around the edges (how many times have we not seen other drivers complaining about Perez’ defensive driving?), but like many other gems that desperately needed to be polished (Maldonado, Grosjean), it will probably work out in the long term. So no reason to fire Perez in my opinion.

But then again, Kevin Magnussen has had an unbelievably impressive year. In a highly competitive FR3.5 field, he not only showed he was incredibly fast, but especially the consistency was remarkable. I would love to see McLaren take a bit of a chance with a youngster. And let’s face it, McLaren is a midfield team right now, so why wouldn’t they?

5. What did Mclaren expect from Perez?
    It seems they wanted the next Hamilton but, to me, it was obvious that he isn’t a natural talent like Hamilton. I mean, just look at his results before F1, there’s nothing impressive. He has done a good job in F1 so far, last year he had some impressive races, but he has never been consistent with his results.
    I’d say he deserves another year in Mclaren. Magnussen is a great driver and I’d love to see him in F1 next year, but I think it would be very difficult for him to jump in a Mclaren and deliver results. Lewis did it, but 2006/2007 was a long time ago and F1 has changed a lot. There are rumors that Magnussen could go to Force India, it would be perfect for him.

6. Jochenrindt78 said on 6th November 2013, 12:04

I hate it when they talk about driver line ups when the machinery was so poor! Focus on the problem Mclaren!

The car is a dog!

• Robbie said on 6th November 2013, 15:06

While true, the fact is that even when the car is a dog one can still make a comparison between the drivers assuming they have equally doggish cars. Also, it can be about more than just the car. I would suggest that Perez hasn’t done that much less than JB points-wise, so if in fact he is about to be replaced it might be more about his attitude, or his lack of input or any of many things that might make someone else look more attractive. I’m not saying that is the case with Perez as I have no handle on what he is like on the test track or in the garage or back at the factory, but I’m just saying it likely doesn’t just come down to the car. If lousy cars is what it ever only boiled down to then a lot of drivers would have been retained throughout the years who were indeed let go. I think a car can remain lousy if a team lacks quality input from the driver.

• Palle (@palle) said on 6th November 2013, 22:12

“If lousy cars is what it ever only boiled down to then a lot of drivers would have been retained throughout the years who were indeed let go. I think a car can remain lousy if a team lacks quality input from the driver.”
        Exactly. We have often seen McLaren start the year with an under performing car to end the season with the fastest car on the grid. This year, they have not improved relatively, as they use to when they have a bad year. Could be because they have opted to concentrate on the next level in 2014 and forward, but if so, they must have confidence that they will be able to fight at the front of the grid. To do that they need both a fast car and a fast driver line-up. Right now they have neither. So I think they should change the driver line-up for next year and if Kevin is the real deal, then lets see what he can do in the McLaren come march 2014. It would be more of a pity to let Kevin start his F1 career as a back marker than to pass on Perez, who was very promissing until he signed with McLaren.

7. UNeedAFinn2Win said on 6th November 2013, 13:22

So the BBC article argues that Kimi, who has brought the team financial and commercial success by dragging the team to it’s position in last years champoinship and is doing the same this year pretty much on his own especially during the first half of the season, does not deserve to get paid now because he was paid so well for doing the exactly same job in his career before in other teams. What ?

It’s what he does. That is his trade. He has a unique set of skill that he sells. Just like anyone who is hired to do a job.

8. Dropping Perez after one season would be unfair. It’s not his fault the car’s horrible.

If the rules could limit aero development, could they then open up suspension development? Promoting mechanical grip would help F1 in overtaking.

9. On Ricciardo’s tweet: He is already turning out to be Mark Webber nr.2! He should be a good qualifier, but if he tends to screw up his start every single time, like he is doing this year, he will turn out to be a the disappointment of 2014!

10. James (@speedking84) said on 6th November 2013, 18:52

I think Perez should get another year, sure he hasn’t amazed people as much as people expected but at the end of the day the Mclaren has been the worst Mclaren in some time, Perez has beaten Button in qualifying and races on several occasions, so if he can beat a world champion in equal machinery in his first year at the team at the age of 23 I personally would give him another year. They gave Kovalainen another year and the gap between Button and Perez is much smaller than the gap between Kovalainen and Hamilton. The only suitable driver who could replace Perez would be Hulkenberg, but Mclaren don’t want him so I can only see Perez staying another year.

• Palle (@palle) said on 6th November 2013, 22:18

The argument about Kovalainen is not exactly in Perez’ favor, as giving Kova another year proved to be a mistake. When Hamilton got the seat alongside Alonso, we also thought it was to early, but he proved us wrong. Kevin just maybe could do the same.

• James (@speedking84) said on 6th November 2013, 22:43

Your comparison with Hamilton can’t really be applied today due to no in season testing or teams being allowed two cars at a winter test. Hamilton had about 22 days testing before his first race, Magnussen wont have that luxury, young drivers today have barely any track time to improve their driving, which is why he could benefit from having a year in a team lower down the field to learn and improve as a driver, then move to Mclaren in 2015.

• Nickpkr251 said on 7th November 2013, 7:23

Alonso arguably can set up better the car than Button which benefit Hamilton, but also a dominant car helps a lot, is not like Perez is missing poles or podiums that Button can, is the car to fix not the drivers at maclaren

11. Jack (@jmc200) said on 6th November 2013, 19:22

Perez deserves another year, if he’s the same next year then get rid of him, but it would be cruel to dump him now as he’s said he hasn’t spoken to any other teams…but this is F1!

• Perez has beaten Button in qualifying and races on several occasions

9-8 in qualifying in Button’s favour, races 12-5 in favour of Button, that’s “beaten” in your terms?

• James (@speedking84) said on 6th November 2013, 22:34

Notice the word ‘occasions’ in there, if Perez has outqualified Button in a race then he has beaten him at qualifying in that particular race, notice how it doesn’t say ‘Perez has outqualified Button this season’.

• Lewis usually had 3/10ths or so on Button in practice and qualy, Jenson usually has 2-4/10ths on Perez… Checco has done a few great overtakes (Monaco) and some desperate race ending bonehead moves (also Monaco). He lacks raw pace to Button and also race craft. Insufficient performance to justify the loss of WCC points a better candidate would garner (Hulk). Nuff said.

• yeah, Button has out qualified him most of the season, but with the new gen car next year, if McLaren use what they have wisely, they could get back to where they were in 2012, seriously fighting for the champoinship and winning races, no matter what driver/s they decide to use.

12. im think he deserves another year with the new car, and i think he is gonna be there the next year maybe because Mclaren want to keep him, or maybe because of money, remember that even if Slim has nothing to do with Mclaren, Santander bank get more money from Mexico than from a lot of other contries, and here in Mexico they just start to take advantage of that, with adds a that stuff. So i dont know witch one would be the reason but i think he will stay. Sorry for my english. see you.

13. Stuart (@stuart2013) said on 6th November 2013, 23:07

I find it very disappointing from Lotus the way they are accusing Kimi of not being a team player. Kimi has scored the better part of 70 more points than Romain this year, on top of last year more than doubling Romain’s points haul. It now comes to light that he has been driving at ten-tenths all year without being paid a cent and because he drives wheel-to-wheel with Romain in India he isn’t a team player? I am a fan of Lotus, and will continue to be, but please do the right thing by a driver that spearheaded putting the team back at the right end of the finishing order.

14. Perez both should and shouldn’t go back to McLaren, this being that the strong performance in India, and I think in Abu Dhabi really opened up his chanes to get the seat, but the 17 or so races before have been slighty under par. I dunno, I just think that he should work with the team to produce a competitive car, even Massa has been performing better than before lately, that has just been because he hasn’t got a seat for 2014 and is desperately looking for one, but all other stories aside, I think with the new gen car, he could really make an impact on the Champoinship, if Perez uses what he’s got at his disposal wisely.

15. Nickpkr251 said on 7th November 2013, 16:58

I think Mclaren bosses rather sacrifice Perez and blame him rather than accept been incompetent to produce a winning car or to fix it in a whole season with a huge budget.
    Button is not capable of running the team forward poor leadership, why keep him ? At least is an available WDC which looks good I guess, but Mclaren should pair two young hungry drivers, can’t have a worst season.
    Slim won’t sponsor a loosing team.

• McLaren will come back some in 2014, it’s a new generation car and they will be even better in 2015 then they have Honda engines, look at what happened the last time Honda powered McLaren, Aryton won 3 WCC with the same Honda engine before he made that move to Williams. I think it has just been one of those years and no one should count them out