Ferrari bid farewell to Massa at Finali Mondiali

2013 F1 season

A heartfelt farewell to long-serving driver Felipe Massa was a focal point of Ferrari’s Finali Mondiali (world final) celebrations at the Mugello circuit this weekend.

“Felipe has been a true Ferrari man and he will always be part of our history,” said president Luca di Montezemolo.

“For all the grands prix he drove for us, for the wins, the pole positions and for those few seconds when he was world champion that day in Brazil, before that overtaking move that always seemed a bit strange to me,” he added, the latter seemingly in reference to the manner in which Lewis Hamilton passed Timo Glock, who was struggling on dry weather tyres on a wet track in the closing stages of the title-deciding 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix.

Luca di Montezemolo, Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Finali Mondiali, Mugello, 2013“We spent some great times together,” Montezemolo continued, “while some others were more difficult, such as the accident in Budapest”. Massa was fortunate to escape with his life after his 2009 crash at the Hungaroring.

“These have been very busy years and today, I wanted to thank him publicly, having already done so privately, just the two of us. It?s time for a change and also to find new motivation. I wish Felipe every success, starting with the last two races of this championship.

“As for the rest of his Formula One career, I wish him the very best, but naturally, behind a Ferrari and anyway, I am sure we will get many chances to meet up again, because life is long and he will always be part of our family.

“When one has a mutually agreed separation, in the best interests of both parties, it can be done calmly in a friendly and constructive manner, and that has been the case this time.”

Massa said his stay at the team, who he first raced for in 2006, had turned out to be “longer than I had ever dreamed of at the start”.

“When I began racing in go-karts as a kid, I had a red Ferrari suit and it?s always been the team I supported. Even when [Ayrton] Senna was at McLaren and [Nelson] Piquet at Williams, I was cheering for Ferrari.

“We began our relationship in 2001 and I have raced for them for eight seasons, which is a very important part of my life.

“I have so many friends at Ferrari and I will miss them, as I will also miss the nice days I spent at the factory in Maranello. I am happy with the way my time with the Prancing Horse turned out.”

Massa has two final races with the team in America and at home in Brazil before being he is replaced by Kimi Raikkonen, who was his team mate from 2007 to 2009.

Ferrari Finali Mondiali 2013 pictures

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Images ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

99 comments on Ferrari bid farewell to Massa at Finali Mondiali

1. magon4 (@magon4) said on 10th November 2013, 19:38

This is really nice.

• I agree. Ferrari had to replace Felipe, we all know that and they even gave him an extra year, but it just wasn’t working well enough anymore. But they’re doing right by him at least publicly now, unlike in the case of so many veterans who are unceremoniously shown the door. Just look at how Lotus abused Kimi. Felipe was a great driver – but what happened in 2009 surely must’ve taken a serious toll, even if only causing a performance loss of a few % of whatever metric we consider? At least Ferrari are doing right by him, even if Todt’s son being his manager might have something to do w/ it – but then again, why shouldn’t that count for something? That’s why you appt. as your manager the son of the FIA President who was also Scuderia boss for long time. Forza, Felipe!

• ..and Massa also thankful for all those engine and exhaust failure for Kimi, or 2008 never happened for him.

2. aka_robyn said on 10th November 2013, 19:44

In the version of this event that happened in my imagination, Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso were there, too, to pay tribute to their teammate. My imagination is such a nice place… ;-)

3. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 10th November 2013, 19:46

Come on, one more win at Interlagos ^^

4. Enigma (@enigma) said on 10th November 2013, 19:50

Does anyone else hate how Ferrari keep on saying Massa was a champion for half a minute in 2008? Sounds pretty stupid to me. It’s like saying Raikkonen was the world champion of 2013 for a few days after winning Melbourne.

• KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 10th November 2013, 19:55

Yes. The race (nor the championship) was not over until Hamilton had crossed the line, in P5 or P6. What would Lewis and his pr team say, if his engine had exploded while running second on the last lap? That he was the champion for x minutes?

• I don’t like that either. You are not champion until the appropriate cars cross the finish line as far as I’m concerned. For example, Sebastian Vettel was not world champion in 2010 until Fernando Alonso crossed the finish line (and 5th or lower when he did).

• toiago (@toiago) said on 10th November 2013, 19:59

@enigma @kaiie – I think it’s just a way for them to say that Massa was and still is a worthy driver, because logically it doesn’t make much sense, and in that respect I agree with you both.

• Yaya Ishaq (@ferrari_412t) said on 10th November 2013, 20:40

Who cares? The idea isn’t to shove it in people’s faces or to be provocative or to start silly debates. The whole point of the phrase is to highlight just how close Massa was to winning that championship and also to appreciate his hard work and dedication as a Ferrari employee in the good and difficult times.

• NotLucaFan said on 10th November 2013, 21:47

Luca should have said, Filipe would have been champion if not for Singapore which I always found strange ;)))))

• JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 10th November 2013, 22:13

It does spoil this whole thing for me. It is a tremendously nice gesture what Ferrari did, but di Montezemolo making a silly comment about that tired (and ludicrous) old theory puts a dampener on things.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 10th November 2013, 23:04

before that overtaking move that always seemed a bit strange to me

Sometimes I forget what it is about Ferrari I dislike so much. Then a key figure goes and says something stupid, uninformed, bitter and ignorant like this, and I remember all over again. Thanks Ferrari!

• Nick (@nick101) said on 11th November 2013, 9:06

Honestly, I don’t understand the comments above.

Luca and Ferrari were simply trying to point out that, regardless of his recent few years of disappointing results, Filipe was once one of the very best drivers on the grid and as close as anyone can get to the Championship without actually getting it.

I understand what you are saying, but in light of the fact that Hamilton gained the required position on the last corner of the last lap of the last race of the season, what they are saying is not far from the truth. There was what, 500m in it?

Pretty close as far as I’m concerned and an extremely nice thing for them to say. They’re just saying, ‘Hey, he may not have had the best results lately, but don’t you forget what he has achieved and the World Title he was oh so close to’.

Good luck Filipe!!!

• rankx (@rankx22) said on 11th November 2013, 10:00

You completely missed the point. With “strange overtaking move” Montezemolo suggests that something fishy was going on, i.e. Glock let Hamilton overtake on purpose. And that ist stupid an disrespectful.

• Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 11th November 2013, 10:07

It backfires on Ferrari as well: Glock was forced to stay out on dry tyres because Massa’s entourage was blocking the pitlane in anticipation of him becoming world champion.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th November 2013, 14:13

If you don’t understand my comment in particular (where I specify the overtake being ‘strange’) then you probably didn’t understand what was meant in the bit I quoted. There’s only one implication, as rankx points out.

Regarding the other comments in this comment thread, I can understand that some people will read it as you said- Ferrari simply pointing out that Massa came oh so close. But as others say, even the way they phrase that is nonsense, as final WDC positions aren’t confirmed until everybody relevant crosses the line. That in combination with the bit I quoted suggest Ferrari have some unfounded resentment.

If Ferrari only want to say that he came really close, then that is all they need to say.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 11th November 2013, 14:17

@Enigma Oh God yes. Heard Ferrari fans say it so many times, but it’s incorrect and totally meaningless.

• Me too. I never liked the concept of saying World champion for 5 seconds. That was never the case. The championship was was never over until Lewis crossed the finish line. While I understand using it in a nice occasion like Massa’s farewell, it cannot be used everywhere. It seems as if 2008 WDC was won by Ferrari ( With a * and a foot note “Only for 5 seconds “.) Very Cheap commercial. It is not a Ferrari brand grade stuff.

and oh that thing about Lewis Overtake of Glock !!! “Big Luca” feels suspicious about that move. Very unsporting. Imagine how Lewis feels when someone says that. If that overtaking move was suspicious then what does Luca have to say about Vettel’s overtaking move on Lewis which made Massa & Ferrari champion for 5 seconds ?

BTW my best wishes to Massa. Happy to see Ferrari do a proper farewell for one of their successful driver.

5. Rick (@viscountviktor) said on 10th November 2013, 19:54

Was Domenichali even their? And @enigma Raikonens win was at the beginning of the season, Felipe was world champion at the end.

6. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 10th November 2013, 20:06

Fernando Alonso is the person who most benefitted from al the times Massa was played down by Ferrari, yet he wasn’t there. I guess his backache is so strong that he couldn’t get into a first class seat or private plane to be there for his “respected” teammate.

7. It’s indeed a bit sad Alonso didn’t turn up, especially as he was the one who Massa sacrificed himself most for. Schumacher, maybe Badoer and Fisichella would have been nice additions too, and perhaps Raikkonen could have popped up to thank his team mate and the driver he is replacing.
    But to have Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, Sergio Marchionne and Piero Ferrari all there to wave goodbye to Felipe just highlights how important and loved he was at Ferrari. And despite what joy the 2008 title could have brought, how can one be sad when he says: “I am happy with the way my time with the Prancing Horse turned out”? Even only driving for Ferrari is a privilege, and Felipe almost turned it into a dream.
    Very nice to see his F2008 hasn’t been repainted, and that he got to drive it to return, at least with memory, to those wonderful moments I remember so vividly in Brazil. I ended in a bad way, but a Formula 1 season is long and brings many joys over its course. 11 wins can’t be forgotten, and his relevance goes beyond those numbers.
    So long, Felipe! I’ll be delighted if you win in Brazil, but I’ll be satisfied anyhow. It has been a pleasure to support you throughout your career, driving for my two favourite teams, and Ferrari won’t be the same without you. Best of luck for the future, which goes beyond your F1 and racing career. Wherever you go, I’ll have a place in my heart for you. From when you set the fastest lap in Brazil 2007, the first time I saw you race, to now, and beyond, you have meant a lot to me.
    You have had the luck to fulfill your dream as your job, and since I am not there, or ever will be, racing against you, your dreams have become mine. It has been a pleasure to share your happiness and your sadness, and hopefully “we will get many chances to meet up again, because life is long”.

8. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 10th November 2013, 20:29

It annoys me that they put today’s livery on past cars. In an ideal world they would appear as were. I’m quite surprised actually they are allowed to run the Vodafone livery on the 2006 car.
    But on another note, let’s hope Massa can get on the podium in Brazil to cap off his Ferrari career nicely.

• But surely you see in the photos that the F2008 remains as-was in 2008 season, not re-stickered to current livery specs???

• DominikWilde (@dominikwilde) said on 10th November 2013, 20:53

The Vodafone car is more than likely a clients car, therefore not owned by Ferrari. The one parked with Massa’s other cars wasn’t driven, so is basically a museum piece and therefore there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s how the car was when he drove it, that’s why it’s presented like that.

The reason they put modern livery on older cars is because they’re demo cars. They can’t really run the latest cars. they can at stuff like this but even if they did, there’s no point. Putting the current livery on an older car allows the F1 team to be represented whilst still putting on a show.

The F2008 car that stayed in it’s original livery is a privately owned car, hence the 266 on the nose.

NONE of these cars are being ran by the race team, all are being prepared, set up and ran by the Corse Clienti division, even the demo cars.

• I guess they don’t want to pass up an opportunity for add money and don’t want to give exposure to companies that aren’t paying them ;)

• @deej92 I think the repainted cars belong to Ferrari who still use them to test – while older, pre-2009 cars, such as the F2008, should be privately owned. If they are, they have a small number on the nosecone!

9. MNM101 (@mnm101) said on 10th November 2013, 20:33

Your move Red Bull :P

10. Hamish said on 10th November 2013, 21:01

Ferrari are cutting the wrong guy – their social media is a joke.

I do the social media for a professional sports team and although I’m only dealing with about one tenth of the audience Ferrari is I can easily say what I deliver to the public is 10 times better. Social media is usually in everyones backpack or pocket – I don’t think Ferrari understand that or its potential.

• Marciare_o_Marcire (@marciare-o-marcire) said on 10th November 2013, 21:31

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever seen a Ferrari commercial? Or a billboard? Or an advert in a magazine? No you haven’t, for the simple reason that those things don’t exist. And yet Ferrari has never really had any trouble selling their products, wouldn’t you say? Or maintaining the largest fan following of ANY sports team in the ENTIRE history of sports. Or just being one of the most easily recognized and respected brands in the world. All without a single piece of advertising.
      So you see my friend, Ferrari doesn’t need social media, unlike your “professional” teenage girls soccer team (which by the way I doubt is even getting 1 millionth of the audience Ferrari boasts, not 1 tenth like you’re saying).
      You say Ferrari’s social media is a joke. A more correct statement would be that if you’re Ferrari, social media is a joke.

• DominikWilde (@dominikwilde) said on 10th November 2013, 22:02

Ferrari were late onto the social media bandwagon. In fact, until recently their drivers weren’t even allowed Twitter accounts. They’re improving but they’re playing catch up…just like their simulator program

• The way Ferrari have chosen to represent themselves in the public eye really doesn’t allow for Lotus-esque twittering or Facebook competitions. Have you seen their merch prices? They’re not going to give away 90 euro leather bags to the person who can post the 15th comment on Facebook.

Ferrari has always been exclusive and been about the brand. Sure, they need their fans, but 1000 fans buying caps and liking their social media pages doesn’t weigh up to 1 Sheik buying 1 exclusive car. They know who to pamper to and who to keep in the loop.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 11th November 2013, 0:23

Ferrari trade on over 80 years of motorsport heritage. Their social media actions have no effect on that.

11. While it’s heart-warming to see the images and video, Ferrari wouldn’t be Ferrari without a strange, sad comment like the one about Brazil 2008. No matter how heart broken I was at the time, it doesn’t make the grip levels or weather conditions at that time a conspiracy.

12. Shena (@shena) said on 11th November 2013, 0:03

Well done, Ferrari! I’t’s quite touching. Tough act to follow for RBR. :-p

13. Ignorant, I wouldn’t call it ignorant, simply because its not, there are no facts just doubt, nevertheless someone should sue Montezemolo for that. As I’ve said before if there’s any reason to further doubt the 2008 finale it should get solved in some 20 years in someones biography.

14. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 11th November 2013, 5:35

Who were driving the other Ferraris?

15. Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 11th November 2013, 7:21

ciao ciao, bambina !

hey, Luca looks younger and younger. He must have a youth fountain somewhere.