Raikkonen to miss final two races

2013 F1 season

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Korea International Circuit, 2013Kimi Raikkonen will not participate in the final tw rounds of this season, Lotus have confirmed.

Raikkonen will miss next week’s United States Grand Prix and the following race in Brazil. He will have an operation on a back injury ahead of his move to Ferrari next year.

“Lotus F1 Team can confirm that Kimi Raikkonen will miss the final two races of the 2013 Formula One season to undergo, and recover from, back surgery,” said the team in a statement.

“The team will make an announcement about the replacement driver for the United States and Brazilian Grands Prix in due course.”

This means Raikkonen’s appearance in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, where he retired following a collision at the first corner, was his last for Lotus.

The news is a blow to the team who are in competition with Ferrari for third place in the constructors’ championship. They are yet to announce who will replace Raikkonen for the balance of the season.

Raikkonen had been involved in a dispute with the team over his pay, telling reporters at the last race weekend he had not been paid by them all year.

He complained of back pains during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend where he took painkillers before participating in the race.

Coincidentally Raikkonen’s future Ferrari team mate Fernando Alonso also suffered back pains after going off the track during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Lotus/LAT

206 comments on Raikkonen to miss final two races

1 2 3 4
  1. I hope this is an opportunity to give Davide Valsecchi a try out. Otherwise what is the point in having a reserve driver who doesn’t ever get called up to race?

2. BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th November 2013, 12:58

Hm, so Kimi did bin it intentionally then in AbuDhabi?

Nice way to earn his salary up front for Ferrari.

• g (@endel) said on 10th November 2013, 13:03

So you actually think Raikkonen turned up for Sunday, he participated in the meetings, planned out the strategy and all the rubbish stuff that would’t be neccessary in the first place if he was to bin it, and then understeered into the Caterham?
      Your logic is special.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th November 2013, 13:37

First of all, its just a thought that does cross the mind. Am I convinced it happened? How would you know @endel?
        On the other hand, its possible it was that way. Kimi has a contract with Lotus, and this is an elegant way to oblige to his contract while at the same time making sure that Lotus does not get any benefit out of it. Nothing strange in the logic of it really.
        Quite another question is, how realistic is it to have happened that way. All we know is that the people who wanted to buy a part of Lotus have confirmed that they did meet with Kimi and promised to pay the oustanding money. We do not know what was exactly agreed, nor do we know how satisfied Kimi was with the deal or indeed with how the team operates (the heated emotions etc.)

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th November 2013, 13:39

Another possible background is, that this was even agreed upon with Lotus @endel, and they are getting another couple of millions from Valsecchi’s backers to be actually able to pay Kimi. What do we know.

• Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 10th November 2013, 14:33

Must be fun making up stuff on the internet. What do we know

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 10th November 2013, 19:33

Seems incredibly unlikely.

3. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 10th November 2013, 12:59

This is massive for Formula 1.

OK, that is perhaps being slightly melodramatic but this nails Lotus in fourth place in the WCC, because even if it turns out that likely replacement Davide Valsecchi is any good, he’s only had a handful of laps in the car and he’s never driven either of the coming racetracks. It’s a shame really, because Lotus a) thoroughly 2nd in the WCC because, as AUTOSPORT has often term it, they are “Pound-for-pound F1′s best team”, and b) they needed it badly to cover their finances. With Ferrari clearly unable to catch Mercedes, it is ironic in that Raikkonen has done Ferrari a huge favour by taking the pressure off of them from behind, because it looked almost certain that they’d fall to a distant fourth in the standings. However without Raikkonen that’ll likely not be the case. It’s also a shame in that the F1 career of Valsecchi, a driver I have always seemed alone in having the utmost faith in, will be judged on the inevitable toils of a driver ill-prepared. However, if he does do a decent job, it might help him get a look in a the Caterham drive that I’ve been linking him with for the past twelve months. For me, a Pic/Valsecchi line-up would be rather strong…oh, and er, get well soon Kimi…

4. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 10th November 2013, 13:00

I think Eric Boullier is gonna go for a cry now :-)

5. bharat (@bharat141) said on 10th November 2013, 13:01

@keithcollantine

i think it should be first corner in para 3 not first.

6. If the insurance doesn’t cover the surgery, does Kimi have enough money to pay for it? :D

7. Adam Kibbey (@kibblesworth) said on 10th November 2013, 13:02

Hmmm, this seems like a pretty legitimate way of getting out of having to race in the final two races without actually violating any contract he may have with Lotus. Pretty crafty. Looking forwards to see what Valsecchi can do in a Lotus!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th November 2013, 13:04

indeed it does, yeah.

• Yep, I’m a bit disappointed by the attitude of Raikkonen on this, but I’ve also experienced back pain myself due tu my former job, I fully understand the need for care.

It puts Lotus in an awkward situation but health prevails.

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 10th November 2013, 13:27

Maybe the call came from maranello. Alonso is currently still not fit to race. So, if I were Ferrari, I would call Räikkönen and say: ‘do it now, we must be (extra) sure you’re in good health.

• @jeff1s They putted himself in this situation. All of this started from the disrespectfull message from Permane. If that didn’t happend, then Raikkonen will still race without his money. The surgery, is a good way to not break your contract. So, the only bad person here is Permane. If I were Lotus I’ll suit him. Sorry, for my english.

• Patrick said on 11th November 2013, 6:12

Yet, Lotus have already broken the contract by not paying Kimi the amount that is owed, therefore Kimi is breaking an already broken contract… and ultimately not breaking any contract

• Odd that some would criticize Kimi’s “attitude”. The guy hasn’t been PAID! He was going to sit out the rest of the season five races ago! Lotus have really treated him shabbily since he signed on with Ferrari, anyway. As for Vettel and RBR, I still maintain that Adrian Newey should be the one on the podium! Lol! There’s no way, in this day and age of F1 racing, that Vettel’s car has a 2.5sec/lap advantage over even Webber in the “same” car!

• So video footage at Abu Dhabi of Kimi walking towards the SUV and going away from the race track is the last we will see him in the Lotus Overalls.

All said and done there is a lots more than what meets the eye. There seems to be quite of bit of stuff happening in the background which will slowly trickle out in the due course of time.

8. I would like if they did a sort of showdown between Maldonado and HĂĽlkenberg, but that’s fanciful beyond belief ;)

• bharat (@bharat141) said on 10th November 2013, 13:09

@vettel1

if they want to try pastor nd hulk for a race each, hulk will definitely beat pastor by miles if he dives at Interlagos and pastor at COTA

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 10th November 2013, 13:17

@vettel1 – What would be the point? I think we know who would win that! And anyway, it wouldn’t change the fact that they’ll need Maldonado’s PDVSA money in the now unlikely chance of the Quantum deal falling through.

• @william-brierty you never know, it might knock sense into them that one driver is just so much better than the other that unless the literally need the money to survive, HĂĽlkenberg would be a better bet ;)

Again, highly unlikely that would ever happen though.

• kpcart said on 10th November 2013, 14:20

Hulk is currently doing a good job but that doesnt mean he will do better then maldonado at lotus. When maldonado has had a good car he has been fast dont forget, he excels when he has a fast car.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 10th November 2013, 14:39

And Hulkenberg doesn’t? Anyone who tries to make out that Nico Hulkenberg is anything less than a young sensation should be treated with as much contempt as those who don’t think Alonso is anything special. Foolishness – it must be suppressed!

• wait, who’s the proven winner? Hulk or Maldonado. ya. I rest my case.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 11th November 2013, 11:11

@joepa Wait, who’s the one that failed to score a point for over ten races after getting a sole good result, and who’s the one who spent 2012 crashing into Hamilton, Perez, Glock, a wall in Melbourne…? Hulkenberg or Maldonado. Yeah. I rest my case.

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 10th November 2013, 13:31

A showdown is indeed fanciful.

But Hulkenberg is free to race. Who else is there with 2013 experience? And who else is in the top 3 of Lotus’ wishlist?
      No brainer to me.

• That assumes that the contract between Hulkenberg and Sauber is no longer in force, and there is some ambiguity over that at the moment.
        If his contract with Sauber still stands, and given that Toro Rosso are not that far behind Sauber in the WCC (13 points apart with two races to go), it is plausible that Sauber might be banking on Hulkenberg to keep them ahead of Toro Rosso and therefore refuse to let him go.

• Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 10th November 2013, 18:13

There is that strange “The team will make an announcement about the replacement driver for the United States and Brazilian Grands Prix in due course” statement from Lotus though. Why would they need to take their time over announcing their nominated reserve driver as a replacement if they weren’t trying to put in an alternative?

• SoLiDG (@solidg) said on 10th November 2013, 22:15

The reserve driver is someone you have with you in case last minute you need a driver..
            Now you have more options..

9. @Kimi, Austria is a good place to get well soon if you dont start skiing. ;-)
    @Lotus: give Valsecchi a chance. GRO and VAL can make it to 2nd in WCC!

• wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 10th November 2013, 13:13

@rudi I don’t think Valsecchi’s that good..couple that with the fact he hasn’t raced for over a year now..

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 10th November 2013, 13:21

@wsrgo – But couple that with the fact that he’s been very impressive in all the tests he’s taken part in, and you could end up with some perfectly decent performances and potentially the roots of a 2014 drive…at Caterham maybe.

• wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 11th November 2013, 4:01

@william-brierty quite possibly so, yes. But he’ll need to work harder for a 2014 driver than he did for one after his GP2 triumph, when he seemingly went into hibernation, probably expecting a call-up of some kind, which never came.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 11th November 2013, 11:07

@wsrgo – What did you want him to do in 2012? March around the paddock with a flag that said, “I am the GP2 champion, please hire me F1 teams!”? Due to the fact that all the seats had been taken up by less talented members of the 2012 GP2 field, he had nowhere to go, and ending up as a reserve for a top team with frankly as good as he could’ve hoped for.

• wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 11th November 2013, 13:38

@william-brierty

Well, that’s what the current situation demands.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 11th November 2013, 17:15

@wsrgo – I bow to your incredible knowledge of racing driver management, but I’m sure Valsecchi’s manager knew what he was doing.

• wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 12th November 2013, 2:23

@william-brierty Seriously, there’s no need to become so hostile here..

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 12th November 2013, 8:46

@wsrgo (adopts shocked face)

What was hostile about that? The fact that I don’t think you are an expert on racing driver management or the fact that I think Valsecchi’s manager probably knows what he’s doing thus going against your previous remark? The fact that my comment disagreed with yours does not make it hostile.

• Maybe Heikki Kovalainen? Has experience in racing, current tyres, upcoming tracks, team etc. Also has done practice runs whit caterham so he is not completely rusty and i believe he could do some mature racing for the team.

10. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 10th November 2013, 13:10

2 drivers with lumbago driving the Prancing Horse next year..
    okay, I know it’s not lumbago, but still…

11. eMGieBe (@michael-giorew) said on 10th November 2013, 13:16

It would be great if they gave Robert Kubica a chance for a come-back… Even if they had to make the car wider, even if it would not be “as fast as the slimmer one”… it would be a symbolic replacement. :)

• oakrichardson (@oakrichardson) said on 10th November 2013, 13:40

I would rather see what kubica can do in wales rally gb in his first outing in a wrc car next weekend!

• john (@jdc123) said on 10th November 2013, 13:41

Don’t get me wrong I would love to see kubica back in f1, but do u realise how much time and money a new chassis is? Besides that, the chassis has to be built to strict regulations meaning it would never happen

• chetan said on 10th November 2013, 14:58

Kubica is done. He wont get the movement in the arm and wrist to ever make it back. Its sad, but true. He is finished. He will be a WRC champion.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 10th November 2013, 13:43

Making the car wider would require a whole new tub, and a whole set of crash tests to boot. Pity really :-(

• kpcart said on 10th November 2013, 14:28

Kubica is a star driver, but his condition is still not ready for f1. He makes his wrc debut next week after winning wrc2 title. He has done simulator work for mercedes f1 this year, and will probably get a test if his hand is good enough. But f1, if ever, looks the nearest in 2015, its a very slow rehab. Its great f1 remembers him and he.is still only 28. Im.enjoying him stick it to seasoned rally drivers by wiining 5 wrc2 rallys out of 7 attempts this year amd leading a few ERC rallys

• Merv (@) said on 10th November 2013, 17:09

Considering that Lotus paid Kubica’s salary for the whole season after he injured himself outside of F1. A huge amount of money they sorely miss at the moment and he couldn’t even be bothered to answer the phone to them. I seriously doubt he’s welcome to darken their doorstep again.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 10th November 2013, 18:00

You’ve posted this garbage twice now – any proof to back it up?

• Merv (@) said on 10th November 2013, 18:05

It’s not garbage thanks.

I know people that work at Enstone.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 10th November 2013, 18:08

I know people that work at Enstone.

I could equally claim I know people in Brackley. Doesn’t make it true.

• Merv (@) said on 10th November 2013, 18:14

The fact that you could make a false claim doesn’t make me a liar either.
            Funnily enough I know somebody that works at Brackley also, but I wouldn’t call him a friend. I know him through a hobby and would talk to him when we bump into each other, I don’t have his phone number or anything like that.

• Merv (@) said on 10th November 2013, 18:41

@raceprouk take a look at this link. Photo taken at the factory a few years ago, person on the left is my girlfriend, person on the right is my sister. Hopefully you’ll be able to tell me who the person in the middle is.
            As for proving they are my sister and girlfriend, well that’s going to be tricky as they aren’t famous I guess, and I’ve already given this more attention than it deserves.
            You will see though that the poster of this picture on twitter follows me on twitter, my “@ username” is the same on twitter as it is on F!Fanatic.

• Merv (@) said on 10th November 2013, 18:09

oh, and the other post went in the wrong place, my fault but I’m only human. I’ve tried to delete it but for some reason it’s still there.

• SoLiDG (@solidg) said on 10th November 2013, 22:19

If that is true.. wouldn’t an insurance be paying that?

• Anirudh s said on 11th November 2013, 10:04

I am afraid that will never happen. Robert Kubica has been ruled out of F1. This may sound preposterous, but F1 has not really missed Kubica has it?

12. zzkiper (@zzkiper) said on 10th November 2013, 13:18

just as one might have thought the 2013 season could not get any worse…

13. RC (@) said on 10th November 2013, 13:24

So low Kimi, so low :(

14. Steph (@stephanief1990) said on 10th November 2013, 13:27

I know I’m supposed to be bothered by this but I’m not. Yeah, he should have been paid but I find it hard to get that worked up about a multi millionaire who has just landed another massive Ferrari deal. It’s a shame that he’ll miss a couple of races but hopefully Davide will get a go which will be interesting to watch. Hope his back op goes smoothly too.

15. karter22 (@karter22) said on 10th November 2013, 13:34

Fair enough…. He´s not getting paid so F them! Before anybody jumps the “he should behave like a professional” wagon for me saying that… It works both ways…
    I wonder if Romain is getting paid. He must be since he´s got a big smile all the time.

1 2 3 4