Massa in, Maldonado out and Bottas stays at Williams in 2014

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Buddh International Circuit, 2013Felipe Massa will race for Williams next year, the team has announced.

Massa, who is set to leave Ferrari at the end of the season, will partner Valtteri Bottas in 2014.

“Williams is one of the most successful and important teams of all time in Formula One,” said Massa. “When I was a kid, I always dreamed about racing for Williams, Ferrari or McLaren and I’m glad to be signing with another icon of the sport following my time at Ferrari.”

“It is also nice to remember that some of the best Brazilian drivers raced for Williams and cemented a strong national link with the team. With such a major change of regulations in 2014, I hope my experience will be useful in helping the team in its effort to move on from a difficult period.

“Since my early days in motor racing, I don’t remember seeing so many new rules in a single season and I’m fully prepared to work with everyone at Grove to make sure we find the right direction. I’m highly motivated to start working hard from the very beginning in what is an exciting new challenge in my career.”

Frank Williams said Massa is “an exceptional talent and a real fighter on the race track”.

“He also brings a wealth of experience as we begin a new chapter in our story.”

Bottas is also being retained by Williams for a second season. “Valtteri is a valued member of the team and I’m pleased he was able to demonstrate his talent in tricky conditions in Montreal,” said Williams. “There is much more to come from him.”

Bottas has endured a difficult debut season with the team as the FW35 has been well off the pace. “I have faith in Williams and I know we can do so much better in the future than our current performance shows,” he said.

“I am looking forward to having Felipe as my team mate. He is a quick and experienced driver and together we will be pushing to the maximum to improve the car and get as many points as we can next season.

“We will be working throughout the winter to ensure we are ready for the challenge of 2014. I would also like to thank everyone at Williams, especially Frank, Claire and the senior management for their ongoing trust in me.”

Deputy team principal Claire Williams said Massa’s hiring was “part of a number of announcements we will be making over the coming weeks”.

“The stability of having both our drivers on multi-year contracts, Mercedes-Benz as our engine partner and a strong commercial base all contribute to the future success of the Williams F1 team,” she added.

The team thanked outgoing driver Pastor Maldonado, who is set to leave the team, “for his efforts and contribution over the past three seasons, in particular delivering the team’s Spanish Grand Prix victory last year”.

See the updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

209 comments on Massa in, Maldonado out and Bottas stays at Williams in 2014

1 2 3 4
  1. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th November 2013, 15:09

Nice for him and Williams ! I think Felipe can get back to where he used to be once he leaves Ferrari. And Williams release themselves of the pain of replacing a front wing every fortnight !

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th November 2013, 15:11

That being said… I’m terrified about the prospects of Maldonado joining the likes of Sauber or Lotus…

• If he replaces Nico at Sauber and Nico goes to Lotus it will be good.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 11th November 2013, 15:17

@fer-no65 Wanna bet on Maldonado going to Lotus?

I´m happy for Massa. He is a great guy and deserve a chance to prove himself with out being push in to the number 2 driver roll… :D

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th November 2013, 15:24

@celeste what are the odds?

• celeste (@celeste) said on 11th November 2013, 15:27

@fer-no65 with Lotus about to lose the 2nd place money (with Kimi that´s pretty much gone), I will said that it is pretty high…

• @celeste I believe that Grosjean has outscored Raikkonen recently, leading to Lotus closing in on Ferrari in the standings, but its right that Raikkonen has already amassed a huge amount of points which has helped.

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 11th November 2013, 20:42

@clare-m95
            The point isn’t whether Grosjean is outscoring Räikkönen or not, but whether Räikkönen’s replacement is able to score good points. Lotus is 26 points behind Ferrari and 37 points behind Mercedes with two races to go. It’s very unlikely Grosjean (or Räikkönen) alone could gather that many points over their rivals.

Given that most of the recent replacement drivers have performed very poorly, I’d say it’s almost certain Lotus won’t get any higher than 4th in the constructors’ championship.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 11th November 2013, 20:50

@celeste They never had second place locked up, especially with Kimi’s bad luck these past two races. Now with RAI gone, that just makes sure they’re locked in fourth.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th November 2013, 16:21

I think the odds for that one would not be all to favorable if one was to place a bet now @fer-no65 (meaning that what @celeste proposes is pretty likely to happen).
          This morning I read that Hulk is now working on either staying at Sauber or getting back in at FI. That would point to Quantum not quite being done and Lotus needing Pastor cash input more than a great line-up.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th November 2013, 16:32

@bascb @celeste

I’m betting on it, then. I like the odds, even if they are against me.

• @bascb -That would point to Quantum not quite being done and Lotus needing Pastor cash input more than a great line-up.

Of course, it’s Maldonado – not Hulk – who is a proven race winner.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th November 2013, 20:11

that is true @joepa, Maldonado certainly is not a “pay driver” but it certainly seems that Williams were not impressed with how inconsistent he is an with a lack of feedback.

Hulk on the other hand was always praised for his great feedback, and especially in the last 1,5 years he has really been able to make good on any time the car did give him a chance to achieve anything.

• Sadly, Pastor joined Lotus…

• dkpioe said on 11th November 2013, 15:20

no, it wont be that bad. Maldonado is a fast driver, but with south American terperament. if he has a fast car, he goes good, if he has a slow car he goes bad. in a fast car he will show his talent like he did at Williams when the car was fast – in those moments he can be exceptional. he will only get one chance to prove it but, if he doesn’t perform at his next team his f1 career is over.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th November 2013, 15:23

He has had a fast car and gone bad in a huge number of occasions. Melbourne 2012, Valencia 2012, Monaco 2012… how many more?

He can be exceptional once… and burst it 10 times after.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 11th November 2013, 15:27

@fer-no65 +1

For all the pace his car had, he finished 15th in the championship behind cars inferior to his.

• What’s the old adage? You can teach a fast driver to stop crashing but you can’t teach a slow driver to go fast. Hulkenberg is a better bet than Maldonado obviously but I’ve got a feeling he would step up in that Lotus, just as Grosjean has done recently.

• @fer-no65 I don’t agree. He showed in Melbourne and Valencia he does have some serious pace, and although he wasted it both times, that can be corrected. Just look to Grosjean, who I felt was far more of a no-hoper than Maldonado: he’s been brilliant recently, so I see no reason why Crashtor couldn’t be beaten away with a stick to leave Pastor; the one who won the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix brilliantly.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th November 2013, 18:39

@vettel1 at the time, it was “correctable”. Unlike Grosjean, he had a full season behind him, and nowadays, with almost 3 seasons at his back, I don’t think he can change that much.

As you say, he did have some highs, Barcelona, Singapore and Abu Dhabi 2012 were very good. But he tends to throw it away… at this point, I think there’s no return… Hope I’m wrong, but…

• mhop (@mhop) said on 12th November 2013, 0:52

@vettel1 “He showed in Melbourne and Valencia he does have some serious pace” or “He showed in Melbourne and Valencia that the 2012 Williams had have some serious pace”…?

2012 was an abject embarrassment for Maldonado/Bruno/Williams – with a car which was comparable in pace to to the Lotus they finished 7th in the championship.

…Or are you taking out-pacing Bruno Senna as the sign of greatness?

• @mhop not Senna, but Sebastian Vettel. He out qualified him in Singapore, a feat Senna wouldn’t even come close to matching.

Absolutely William’s 2012 was a failure though: that car should have finished at least 5th, I agree entirely. In the hands of two consistent drivers such as Räikkönen and Alonso, it could well have even reached the dizzying heights of 4th.

• pricemoda (@pricemoda) said on 13th November 2013, 23:30

i agree, i think Maldonado in 2012 could of had multiple podiums and regular points finishes but he was so short sighted during some races, the coming together with hamilton in valencia was madness and numerous others. the guy is fast but just doesnt think like a top driver, he will be in F1 next year though.

• @fer-no65 So this means Williams are strong with their finances, having lost the support of PDVSA… How are they going to survive 2014

2. PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 11th November 2013, 15:11

Awesome news for both Massa and Bottas. Bottas definitely deserves another year at least, and I’m glad Massa isn’t leaving the sport as well. My question now is… Does that mean Maldonado is going to get the Lotus seat, or is he destined to go somewhere else rather than leave?

• Does that mean Maldonado is going to get the Lotus seat

If so, @!*%€&? @!*% @!*% (essentially, many expletives of distaste towards Lotus).

• PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 11th November 2013, 16:32

@vettel1 Whilst it’d definitely be interesting to see Maldonado there, it has still got to be Hulk. He’s pretty much the hot driver now, and if a seat is available at a top team, he’s surely got to be the first pick.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th November 2013, 20:30

@vettel1 – Why is it that it’s okay for people to be disrespectful towards Maldonado, but not okay for them to be disrespectful towards Vettel?

Seems like a double standard to me.

• What are you on about @prisoner-monkeys?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th November 2013, 21:56

@vettel1 – People get criticised for not respecting Vettel. But at the same time, it seems to be perfectly okay to abuse Maldonado.

• Adam Kibbey (@kibblesworth) said on 11th November 2013, 23:02

He’s probably referencing the way you are implying disrespect towards Maldonado in your post by arguing that Lotus are making such a bad decision to hire him. I like Hulkenberg as well well, and would love for him to get a top drive, but I think Maldonardo deserves to be in F1 equally. He was a GP2 champion in 2010 (finishing ahead of 6 current F1 drivers), is a race winner and is solid when the car is right.

• @prisoner-monkeys

I don’t agree. He showed in Melbourne and Valencia he does have some serious pace, and although he wasted it both times, that can be corrected. Just look to Grosjean, who I felt was far more of a no-hoper than Maldonado: he’s been brilliant recently, so I see no reason why Crashtor couldn’t be beaten away with a stick to leave Pastor; the one who won the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix brilliantly. @vettel1

Are you being selective, as you are accusing me of yourself? I said the above on this very same thread.

I personally don’t care how you think of a driver personally, only that you respect their merits objectively. In that case, Maldonado is a very fast, potentially great but inconsistent and crash-prone driver.

@kibblesworth It was directed at Lotus, as I feel if Hülkenberg doesn’t get a top drive that is a massive travesty. He’s the best new driver F1 has had since Vettel.

• Jono (@me262) said on 12th November 2013, 22:45

@vettel1 calling a driver ‘crashtor’ sounds like abuse to me, much like referring to Vettel as ‘finger boy’ regardless of wdc count

There isnt an option for not respecting 4 wdc’s but a case remains that 4 world titles is a sizeable flattering of Vettel’s abilities. Vettel is making a mockery of ‘being at the right team at the right time’ – Vettel is the exception to the rule. Fangio for eg had a nouse to go to Maserati when they were coming good and won 5 wdc’s with no less than 4 different teams. Schumacher with a lot of time, made Ferrari right. Instead he could have had the chance to ‘break all the records’ ala Vettel and stay at bennetton in 96 and to bleed all the titles and wins he could out of the situation like Vettel is doing at Red Bull

It is what it is – but statistics will never prove who was the greatest. All objective Formula 1 fans have taken note

• @me262 no less than “crash kid”, what that god of integrity Martin Whitmarsh called Sebastian Vettel in 2010 I believe. In both cases, it was partially just.

I think the opposite: 4WDC is really a true reflection of how much better he is than those who are just solid front runners, not WDC material. I don’t think however two is indicative of Alonso’s ability, but I do think one is a fairly accurate reflection on Hamilton (note: that does not mean I think Vettel is four times better than Hamilton, but I do think he is fairly comfortably a better all-round driver).

To be honest though, all drivers are egotists and just want to win. Schumacher saw he could win at Ferrari if he brought the Benetton workforce along with him, which he duly did. Vettel has reasoned that Red Bull is the best place for him at the moment, and who would have the audacity to blame him…

• Jono (@me262) said on 13th November 2013, 0:16

@vettel1 consider this: in the history of F1, how long would you say would you say the top, championship winning car has remained at the top, on average? 2-3 years max? seems reasonable. What Red Bull have done for the last 4 years is well above average. This is exactly why Vettel’s 4 wdc are flattering

kudos to red bull

• @philereid How about Maldonado + Hulk = Money + Talent… Keeping the nut out of course..

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 11th November 2013, 18:44

Th nut might be better than the both of them. Dont get me wrong.. I’m a huge fan of the Hulk.. but there is no way the Hulk is miles ahead of Grosjean

• JCost (@jcost) said on 12th November 2013, 5:38

@todfod

+1.

With all due respect to Mr. Raikkonen, if I was LDM, I’d sign either Hulkenberg or Grosjean as Alonso team mate.

• schumonen said on 13th November 2013, 6:37

No way. Raikkonen is a world champion, Ferrari needs WCC soon, they will get it with Rai + Alo next year no question about it. Those two are IMO the best drivers to get every inch of the car. I think Hulk is better than Grosjean at least he is doing great things in a poor car. Romain is in his third year (if not more) and he is doing good now cause Lotus swtiched all they had to help him, that’s not a WCC driver material at all, where was he during the first part of the season ? nowhere. With Alo + (Gro or Hulk) Ferrari will be years away of the WCC, with RAI + ALO I can bet my house they will have the WCC next year.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 12th November 2013, 2:02

@noob The nut as you describe him is out of the hut and has made the cut . But, I am not so sure of Mr Pastor’s gut (His overtaking seems a bit too dangerous) . Tut tut ..

3. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 11th November 2013, 15:12

He should have bowed out of F1 gracefully; there is little point doing a season or so with Williams as he is very unlikely to score points, let alone podiums (based on Williams performances this year).
    It’s decisions like these that make people forget racing drivers.

• Jack_Hider (@jackhider) said on 11th November 2013, 15:17

I haven’t forgotten Barrichello ..

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 11th November 2013, 15:32

The same could be said of Barrichello when he went to (then) Honda. A few years (and team name change) later, World Constructors’ Championship winner.

• Actually, apart from their early season slump and disqualifications, BAR (as Honda was still known as at that time) had a pretty decent end to 2005 with Button, after a splendid 2004. Barrichello wasn’t the only one who thought he’d have a chance at winning races with Honda.

• JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 11th November 2013, 15:32

Williams are indeed having their worst-ever season, but let’s not forget that last time they had their worst-ever season (2011) they bounced back to win a race the following year. Sure, to expect Felipe to win with Williams is a bit optimistic, but I certainly believe he can do more than merely make up the numbers.

• maarten.f1 (@maarten-f1) said on 11th November 2013, 15:53

@xjr15jaaag I think that’s impossible to tell. They could get lucky with next year’s car and be competitive. I still think Williams could’ve (and should’ve!) been much more competitive last year. That car was able to deliver solid points finishes, it’s just that the drivers weren’t.

But with things changing next year there’s always a possibility that they get lucky (though I’ll agree that the odds are against them).

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 11th November 2013, 16:02

based on Williams performances this year

To be fair, we were saying at the beginning of this year that we expected Williams to be challenging for podiums and wins again based on their form from last season… And look how that turned out.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see… Who knows, they could be up the front again. I hope they are more competitive next year.

A competitive Williams = Relatively healthy Formula One

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 11th November 2013, 16:13

Totally disagree. Leaving now wouldn’t be bowing out gracefully in my opinion.

People have an issue with pay drivers because they only got their seat due to money but for me, Massa position was even worse. Atleast pay drivers race. Massa existed solely to help Alonso.

In the last few races where he’s started to fight for himself, it’s become apparent that he still does have the pace he used to have it’s a shame that Ferrari have robbed us of the chance to see Massa in full fight for all fo these years.

He has a chance now with Williams to prove all the doubters wrong and show why he deserves a place in F1 because ignoring the last few races, it’s hard to argue that he does.

• xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 11th November 2013, 16:32

I just have a really bad feeling about this

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 11th November 2013, 17:02

Massa existed solely to help Alonso ?!?!

NO ! You’re wrong mostly. This means, partially, you’re right. Massa couldn’t prove he’s another Schumacher, Raikkonen…. Alonso… so that’s why he was placed in the “2nd horse”. Maybe, without some favouritisms towards Alonso, the points score at the end of the season would have been: 25 points more for Massa, and 25 less for Alonso. BUT, even so, the difference is still too big to change things. Overall, Alonso is definately a better driver than Massa. If you wanna win any of the champs, who would be your 1st choice ?? Don’t tell me… Massa. Then, how much did he help Alonso, 3-4 times max/season, and they swapped places like P5-P10 ?!?! I don’t think that’s much help for a driver that was settled just to help the NO.1 driver !!!! Ferrari tried that TOWING manoeuver more times, as another ex. How many times it succeed ?? 1 out of 5 ???! So, personally, I really fail to see that BIG HELP Massa brought to the team and Alonso. If Alonso would have been teamed up with a better driver, very probably he would have been the champ in 2012.

• Skett (@skett) said on 11th November 2013, 19:52

@corrado-dub
          I think you missed his point. You’re right in that he hasn’t really been much help recently, but its difficult to really push yourself when you know that you’re there to help your teammate.

Massa has definitely had a turn about of speed since he’s stopped worrying about keeping his contract with ferrari and has shown some decent pace. He may not be as good as Alonso (not as good as the drive who many consider to be the most complete in f1 – theres a shocker), but he’s plenty good enough to deserve his seat in F1, especially with the experience he has (remember he was mentored by the most successful drive in F1 history). I’d love to see what he can do again with a team behind him. Also Reading the interviews it sounds like one of the reasons he was hired is to be a mentor for Bottas, who else on the grid has the experience, and would be willing, to do that?

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 11th November 2013, 20:42

Yes, I understand your opinion, but I think that’s a weak excuse and you’re exagerrating (his 2nd pos role). Somebody who doesn’t know anything about F1, if reads some of the comments here, will more than sure understand that Massa was another MS, Senna, Clark, but he couldn’t make it BIG because the team told him not to finish in front of Alonso by any means. Reality is, it’s not the case almost at all. Massa finished most of the time many places behind Alonso. When Alonso finished 1 race on the podium, Massa finished 9th, for ex. How do you explain these many places between them ? Why Massa wasn’t on 4th, right behind ALO ?? Simple: because he just couldn’t do better. So, I really don’t fall for this theory of performing significantly worse than the team mate because he’s not racing on equal terms. Also, Ferrari dropped him because his game is too far behind Alonso’s and his contribution is minimal in the WCC. This is the main reason for being dropped.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 13th November 2013, 10:18

@corrado-dub

You say that you don’t believe that Massa was performing significantly worse than Alonso because he was not racing on equal terms… How do you explain his sudden improvement in form? Haver Ferrari improved the car and Alonso is driving slowly?

Ferrari have dropped him because they can get a better driver and they have realised that unless you have a car capable of dominating the field, their number 1/2 driver strategy won’t bring them Constructors titles.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 13th November 2013, 13:08

Massa always performed better in the last part of the season. This is 1 of the reasons that helped him in making Ferrari sign him the following season for years. Then, in 2007 and 2008 he raced on equal terms with Raikkonen and had a top car at his disposal. We know what happened: nothing special. If he was that good as many of you say, he should have trashed everybody on the race track. Plus, if I’m not wrong, after Schumacher, he has most (consecutive) years/races under Ferrari. Being present in the team before RAI and ALO, it’s an advantage. Spending a lot more years in the team compared to the aforementioned drivers, also an advantage ! Yet, he couldn’t make it BIG.

Yeah, unless they have a top car, they can’t get the WCC. But we’re not talking about winning the WCC… but being 2nd. With that “questionable” car, ALO is still 2nd in the WDC. One must be nuts to ask more (points) from ALO while he’s racing with that car. Look at the WDC table: ALO = 2nd, Massa = 8th. Massa is the LAST driver from the top 4 teams ! Even GRO has more points ! Doesn’t that ring a bell to you, when with the same equipment, a driver is 2nd while the other is 8th ? You really think all this difference is down to the 2ND DRIVER POSITION ? I really don’t !

• Jono (@me262) said on 13th November 2013, 1:03

Massa existed solely to help Alonso

@petebaldwin if Ferrari’s over riding goal was to give alonso a championship why have they signed kimi? will kimi will exist soley to help Alonso next year? or have Ferrari changed their strategy? if they changed their strategy, why did they not give massa supposed equal treatment only to do so with a different driver? do Ferrari have the neccesary data from kimi in 2007-08 and massa to make that judgement? you would have to say so…maybe thats why they have put all their eggs on alonso in the last 4 years..

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 13th November 2013, 10:06

Frankly, I think they have finally realised that their out-dated way of running a team is no longer bringing them race wins. If they are going to win the constructors again, they will need two drivers right at the front.

Forcing one driver to give up grid positions, track positions and anything else that may aid the number one demoralises drivers and there can be no doubt that Massa has dramatically improved since he’s dropped the “number 2″ mindset.

By dramatically, I mean is comfortably out qualifying the great Alonso with ease fairly regularly. No one in their right mind is trying to say that Alonso isn’t better than Massa but it was Ferrari’s decision to extend Massa’s contract when that fact was already well know.

Everyone obviously views it differently and that’s fine but it goes against the way I think F1 should be to have drivers sacrificing their existence in F1 to help another. That’s why I’m very much looking forward to next year where we’ll have 2 Ferrari drivers racing each other and Massa given a chance to race.

• Sam (@) said on 11th November 2013, 16:20

And then BAM there is a repeat of 1993.

4. AdrianS said on 11th November 2013, 15:12

If Hulk is going to Lotus, where could Maldonaldo possibly be going?

5. Felipe will show strong form next season, I personally feel he was beaten and battered at ferrari and was in a chock-hold. Now he is free to fly, let us see what he can do. But I have strong faith.

• Felipe will show strong form next season, I personally feel he was beaten and battered at ferrari and was in a chock-hold. Now he is free to fly, let us see what he can do.

@kwekuq – so Massa was like an abused wife? But he gotta divorce?

OK, that’s one of the less politically-correct analogies…but still interesting

6. Steph (@stephanief1990) said on 11th November 2013, 15:14

I think this will be great for Massa. He needs a new change and he’s a great team player. It’s a shame my favourite driver is now with my least favourite team but I still won’t have a problem cheering him on. I just hope they do a Brawn together…

7. Lateralus (@lateralus) said on 11th November 2013, 15:22

Fantastic news for Felipe. He is the right driver for them right now; they need someone reliable and consistent to pull the team forward.

Is it even confirmed that Maldonado still has all that money behind him? Just a couple weeks ago we were hearing rumblings about Venezuelan money perhaps not being so easy to come by. If that turns out to be true, maybe Maldonado will simply be out of a drive. I wouldn’t mind that to be honest, because that leaves the Lotus seat wide open for Hulkenberg and a free seat at Sauber. I wonder who might fill that one?

8. dkpioe said on 11th November 2013, 15:23

next signing for Williams, I predict Ross Brawn. will 2014 be their turn around year? I doubt it. miracles don’t happen in f1 – though they did in 2009 for Honda, but unfortunantly they left the sport! – and Brawn took up the accolades – so actually maybe their is hope for Williams still in the modern era with this new formula next year and new signings to the team – and maybe Brawn will take the accolades again after 4 failed years at Mercedes after Brawn.

• next signing for Williams, I predict Ross Brawn.

@dkpioe – so do you think Claire simply doesn’t want to be team principal, or she still does, but Sir Frank realizes she’s incompetent and will never be able to replace him (but Ross Brawn could?)?

• Baron (@baron) said on 12th November 2013, 18:52

As far as I recall, that was a Mercedes Engine in the Brawn car in 2009, not a Honda – a major piece of surgery at short notice, making the chassis not-a-Honda too. The vital entire back end if the car was designed and constructed within 3 months and was brand new. It was then a Brawn car, with some faint Honda ‘notes’ There was no ‘Honda Miracle’ in 2009 – they left the year before.

Can you see where I’m headed?

9. TMF (@tmf42) said on 11th November 2013, 15:23

I really like the idea of him racing there – a great guy in a great team.
    Also Massa showed in the last couple of races that there is still something left in him – remember Kimi was kicked out from Ferrari and look where he is now. A reboot is just what he might need and also with a little luck the reg changes will help Williams to get further up the field – they never wrapped their heads around the blown diffusor but they were pretty strong early 2012 when others struggled to get their coandas working.

10. Simon (@s162000) said on 11th November 2013, 15:27

Could be a suprise package next year with Mercedes and Symonds onboard. With Massa’s experience and Bottas undoubted talent they have a great opportunity to progress up the midfield, good luck to them.

11. Sam (@) said on 11th November 2013, 15:29

I’m very happy for Rubens….

12. Jeevan (@jee1kimi) said on 11th November 2013, 15:34

“He also brings a wealth of experience as we begin a new chapter in our story.”..

It shd have been ‘wealth AND experience’..HAHA!!!

13. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 11th November 2013, 15:38

Good news, many have doubts about him getting a drive after his Ferrari stint and i was one of them, great news for Williams too, i hope we can see another Felipe next year like the one we saw in the second half of 2012, he’s a very nice guy & i hope he can contribute to bring Williams with the top 5 teams next year (i know it is quite difficult but let’s hope)

14. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 11th November 2013, 15:44

Good news for Massa, that is a good line up Williams have for 2014. If the Mercedes engine is as good as people think it is going to be, Massa and Bottas could be regular points scorers.

15. Diceman (@diceman) said on 11th November 2013, 15:52

This news made me very happy, two drivers that I like very much in one of my favorite teams. I hope Williams will build good car next season.

1 2 3 4