Massa in, Maldonado out and Bottas stays at Williams in 2014

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Buddh International Circuit, 2013Felipe Massa will race for Williams next year, the team has announced.

Massa, who is set to leave Ferrari at the end of the season, will partner Valtteri Bottas in 2014.

“Williams is one of the most successful and important teams of all time in Formula One,” said Massa. “When I was a kid, I always dreamed about racing for Williams, Ferrari or McLaren and I’m glad to be signing with another icon of the sport following my time at Ferrari.”

“It is also nice to remember that some of the best Brazilian drivers raced for Williams and cemented a strong national link with the team. With such a major change of regulations in 2014, I hope my experience will be useful in helping the team in its effort to move on from a difficult period.

“Since my early days in motor racing, I don’t remember seeing so many new rules in a single season and I’m fully prepared to work with everyone at Grove to make sure we find the right direction. I’m highly motivated to start working hard from the very beginning in what is an exciting new challenge in my career.”

Frank Williams said Massa is “an exceptional talent and a real fighter on the race track”.

“He also brings a wealth of experience as we begin a new chapter in our story.”

Bottas is also being retained by Williams for a second season. “Valtteri is a valued member of the team and I’m pleased he was able to demonstrate his talent in tricky conditions in Montreal,” said Williams. “There is much more to come from him.”

Bottas has endured a difficult debut season with the team as the FW35 has been well off the pace. “I have faith in Williams and I know we can do so much better in the future than our current performance shows,” he said.

“I am looking forward to having Felipe as my team mate. He is a quick and experienced driver and together we will be pushing to the maximum to improve the car and get as many points as we can next season.

“We will be working throughout the winter to ensure we are ready for the challenge of 2014. I would also like to thank everyone at Williams, especially Frank, Claire and the senior management for their ongoing trust in me.”

Deputy team principal Claire Williams said Massa’s hiring was “part of a number of announcements we will be making over the coming weeks”.

“The stability of having both our drivers on multi-year contracts, Mercedes-Benz as our engine partner and a strong commercial base all contribute to the future success of the Williams F1 team,” she added.

The team thanked outgoing driver Pastor Maldonado, who is set to leave the team, “for his efforts and contribution over the past three seasons, in particular delivering the team’s Spanish Grand Prix victory last year”.

See the updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

209 comments on Massa in, Maldonado out and Bottas stays at Williams in 2014

1. mantresx (@mantresx) said on 11th November 2013, 15:55

Good news for Williams and I’m actually looking forward to see how Felipe performs in a team with much less pressure than Ferrari, surely he can only do better against Bottas than against Alonso.

2. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 11th November 2013, 15:58

Good luck to Massa. With a team trying to help him achieve the best results he can instead of constantly sabotaging his efforts, I hope he can get some good results. He has shown in recent races how much Ferrari have held him back and it’s a real shame. He’s been forced out of Ferrari but it’s the best thing that could have happened to him.

I really hope Williams get their act together and produce a decent car for him next year.

• @petebaldwin: With a team trying to help him achieve the best results he can instead of constantly sabotaging his efforts, I hope he can get some good results.

isn’t that what Rubens was thinking when he joined Williams after being “sabotaged” at Brawn (according to him)?

• Skett (@skett) said on 11th November 2013, 20:08

Rubens had terrible cars when with Williams, unfortunate but thats just a fact. I can’t help but feel that if Rubens or Massa had the 2012 williams they would have finished much higher up in the championship

• fair enough.

i hope we can see felipe on the podium in 2014. a win would be dreaming too much (unless vettel was hopefully thrown in prison for child trafficking or something)…but if Pastor can win a GP, maybe Fortuna will help Felipe do the same, one more time!

Why is Williams so far from the dominant squad (or at least competitive) that was JPM’s old team??

3. Somethingwittyer (@somethingwittyer) said on 11th November 2013, 16:01

Very happy for Massa and Williams. Hopefully with this new partnership both could recaptar some of their old glory. It also should be interesting to see Massa on a team that doesn’t treat him as the number two after all those years of second fiddle to Alonso. Just hope Bottas doesn’t get forgotten….

4. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 11th November 2013, 16:03

I think this is great news. Felipe and Williams unfortunately have quite a bit in common – both are trying to get back to the top in F1, while many have written them off as being too far gone or desperately trying to recapture bygone glory days. I think Massa is a good fit. He’s experienced and highly motivated, and will hopefully be a huge asset in developing the 2014 Williams over the next season. The team needed someone like Felipe to help with the massive rule changes, and now they have him.

I also think Williams will be great for Massa. He’ll be out of Alonso’s shadow and away from Maranello for the first time in almost a decade. It’ll be a breath of much needed fresh air for him. I wish both team and driver every success. It would be a real fairytale if Massa could get back onto the top step in a Williams.

5. Breno (@austus) said on 11th November 2013, 16:06

So, do all brazilian drivers have to end their carreers at Williams?

6. Nice, I really support this move. Its a great smart move for Williams. Massa’s talent maybe hadn’t faded, but with a teammate such as Alonso with Ferrari backing Alonso only; it was time for a change. I hope Massa can stretch his legs at Williams as a firm No. 1 driver and push the team forward.

7. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 11th November 2013, 16:23

This is a great news for Massa and Williams. I hope this partnership lasts at least for another few years and that Massa & Bottas bring this team forward.

So So glad that Massa got a drive for next year

• it’s so nice to see how much positivity there actually is towards Felipe. he was criticized pretty relentlessly on these F1Fanatic pages, but it would seem many folks actually have a soft spot in their hearts for him.

8. Farragher (@supercar) said on 11th November 2013, 16:36

This is news I have been waiting to hear. It is an excellent opportunity for a deserving driver and team. Nice going Massa! The next bit of news I’d like to hear is that Ross will be coming over from Mercedes. With Williams powered by Mercedes for 2014, it will strengthen the relationship provided he leaves without hard feelings.

Now, on to COTA for the end of the V8 era.

9. Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 11th November 2013, 16:49

I first read that Bottas out and – as a Finnish F1Fanatic – I almost got an heart attack.

This is good news for Valtteri. No one really knows how good Maldonado is, but now he has a team mate, who has raced alongside Alonso. Valtteri can prove himself next season as we now how good – or bad – Massa is (this season has matched Alonso in qualifying, on average 3 positions behind on race day) and thus we can kind of compare Bottas to a world champion. And if Massa beats him? Well, at least he got his shot.

10. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 11th November 2013, 17:00

So, that means another year of Massa-Smedley? :D

• good question. that’s really an interesting aspect that i wish was being clarified. does smedley have a contract w/ Ferrari independent their association w/ Massa? You’d think so… And would Massa even want him to come along – or would he even want to go? Maybe Massa needs a change of race engineer, too, to one w/ no history of having to (regrettably, even) tell Felipe to let Fernando through…

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 11th November 2013, 23:58

@paeschli It looks like they will be in the same team. The question is if Rob will still be a race engineer. I suspect he’s due a bigger role.

11. I seriously hope that maldonado goes to lotus and Hulkenberg comes back to Force india for next season,being a Force india fan I can be that much selfish.

12. Happy for Massa. This is going to be the best lineup for Williams in recent years.

13. dodge5847 (@dodge5847) said on 11th November 2013, 17:07

I have stong hope for Williams next year, I really hope they come up with a good car with Massa helping to develop it, fingers crossed that they get Ross Brawn on board too. Starting to get excited for 2014 already

14. Jason (@jason12) said on 11th November 2013, 17:08

Maldonaldo to Lotus appears to be a done deal then…..
    It’s the only move that’ll actually makes sense.

15. ferrox glideh (@ferrox-glideh) said on 11th November 2013, 17:15

With Maldonado’s ego and uncertain financial future, I doubt that we will see him in F1 next year. He seemed incapable of admitting his mistakes publically, and this probably didn’t sit well with Sir Frank, who is a true sportsman. Bottas will now have his work cut out for him, teaming up with a near world champion, but Massa has shown that he can be a team player par excellance. Next year is really shaping up to be interesting!