Massa in, Maldonado out and Bottas stays at Williams in 2014

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Buddh International Circuit, 2013Felipe Massa will race for Williams next year, the team has announced.

Massa, who is set to leave Ferrari at the end of the season, will partner Valtteri Bottas in 2014.

“Williams is one of the most successful and important teams of all time in Formula One,” said Massa. “When I was a kid, I always dreamed about racing for Williams, Ferrari or McLaren and I’m glad to be signing with another icon of the sport following my time at Ferrari.”

“It is also nice to remember that some of the best Brazilian drivers raced for Williams and cemented a strong national link with the team. With such a major change of regulations in 2014, I hope my experience will be useful in helping the team in its effort to move on from a difficult period.

“Since my early days in motor racing, I don’t remember seeing so many new rules in a single season and I’m fully prepared to work with everyone at Grove to make sure we find the right direction. I’m highly motivated to start working hard from the very beginning in what is an exciting new challenge in my career.”

Frank Williams said Massa is “an exceptional talent and a real fighter on the race track”.

“He also brings a wealth of experience as we begin a new chapter in our story.”

Bottas is also being retained by Williams for a second season. “Valtteri is a valued member of the team and I’m pleased he was able to demonstrate his talent in tricky conditions in Montreal,” said Williams. “There is much more to come from him.”

Bottas has endured a difficult debut season with the team as the FW35 has been well off the pace. “I have faith in Williams and I know we can do so much better in the future than our current performance shows,” he said.

“I am looking forward to having Felipe as my team mate. He is a quick and experienced driver and together we will be pushing to the maximum to improve the car and get as many points as we can next season.

“We will be working throughout the winter to ensure we are ready for the challenge of 2014. I would also like to thank everyone at Williams, especially Frank, Claire and the senior management for their ongoing trust in me.”

Deputy team principal Claire Williams said Massa’s hiring was “part of a number of announcements we will be making over the coming weeks”.

“The stability of having both our drivers on multi-year contracts, Mercedes-Benz as our engine partner and a strong commercial base all contribute to the future success of the Williams F1 team,” she added.

The team thanked outgoing driver Pastor Maldonado, who is set to leave the team, “for his efforts and contribution over the past three seasons, in particular delivering the team’s Spanish Grand Prix victory last year”.

See the updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

209 comments on Massa in, Maldonado out and Bottas stays at Williams in 2014

1. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th November 2013, 19:29

I’m disappointed to see that what was once a famous racing team has been reduced to a retirement home for under-performing South American drivers.

• Robbie said on 12th November 2013, 12:47

Hmmm…quite the pessimistic outlook. I would suggest that Williams is still famous. My initial thought is then, what makes a team famous? And I suppose I’ll default to WDC’s of which their last one was via JV in 97….16 years ago, which is how long Ferrari’s WDC drought had been going on when MS joined, at which point it took 5 more years. Were Ferrari ever considered once famous, or a retirement home? I at a minimum think Williams always has the potential to at least improve over their previous season, especially in this case with the new regs, a Merc in behind, and FM’s experience. There’s always hope….must be…otherwise Williams and many many others (teams and drivers) would have packed it in long ago with no sponsorship hopes whatsoever…yet they’re here…funded….supported…loved and respected by many.

2. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 11th November 2013, 19:36

If Ross Brawn moves there, that’ll be fabulous.

3. ThatF1Fanatic (@thatf1fanatic) said on 11th November 2013, 19:49

I don’t think Maldonado is actually that bad, people just think that because of the money he brought when he came in and his erratic first season. The Williams that he’s been driving has been dreadful, and he somehow managed to win in it last year.

Happy for Massa though, looking forward to seeing how he does.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 11th November 2013, 19:52

I agree, Maldonado is crash prone but bloody fast, a bit like a modern Montoya

• I’m pretty sure Montoya had more impressive drives than run-ins with R.Schumacher and more wins, not to mention a title challenge in his 3rd year. Granted, those Williams were better cars, but his overall performance at Williams was a lot more solid than Maldonado’s.

If anything, Maldonado is a modern ‘Ralf Schumacher in 1997′, talented, but erratic and too crash-prone for his own good. For 3 years now.

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 11th November 2013, 21:49

@paeschli yes but being fast at crashing your car doesn’t help your team. He was barely better than bottas…

4. Truth be told, I’ve been utterly disappointed with Massa ever since late 2010. He had his ups, I can’t deny that. But overall, he never seemed to be able to make Alonso’s life difficult, and wasn’t given a go by Ferrari, which is still surprising compared to the amount of support he received. Not to mention, Ferrari are a lot happier about Massa finding another seat in F1 than any of their previous drivers ever..

Still, inherently I like Massa. He practically removed Raikkonen from his pedestal (if not just in my eyes, in general) in 2008 with his amazing year, which wasn’t really a fluke. He’s had some good qualifying performances this year, which is promising. Let’s see what he can do in a Williams. I would have preferred a young driver take his place in F1, but Massa isn’t the worst to keep around and he hasn’t been as bad as 2011 or early 2012 lately.

• After Raikkonen’s announcements about not being paid, imagine what his autobiography would be like… I wonder if it would contain insights into 2008.. But I can equally see him not bothering to write one!

5. Mickrock (@mickrock) said on 11th November 2013, 21:16

Good for Massa, good for Williams.
    Now assuming 2014 is the ‘jockey’ year with the lower weight limit.

6. Cwall513 said on 11th November 2013, 22:48

While I’m happy to see Massa stay in f1, he’s now getting up there in the years and there is a lot of young guys wanting a chance that they will never get if so-so drivers stick around. Not to say that he’s bad but since his wreck he hasn’t had that knife-edged mind that you need to be a winner. Let a future star have a shot.

*Elders chime in to refute my remark of age-worthiness*

7. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th November 2013, 23:03

What was Massa saying about only wanting to join a competitive team?

• Robbie said on 12th November 2013, 17:27

It’s obvious from this and your other post on this topic that you don’t rate Williams very highly if at all…but in spite of you implying they’re no longer famous and are just a retirement home for Brazilians, at least they have longevity, a rich history in F1, and with the new regs and a Mercedes engine, there is potential for them to start on a path back to the podium. Not saying I’d bet the farm on it, but I would certainly give them the chance to prove themselves with the new format and FM. At least….isn’t it some surprises…a departure from the norm, that F1 is hoping for by introducing the new engine/chassis format?

8. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 12th November 2013, 0:38

im just happy he’s got a drive, will be interesting to see how bottas compares to him

9. yeang said on 12th November 2013, 0:53

first race of 2014 will be massa’s first being powered by a non-ferrari engine!

10. Kimi4WDC said on 12th November 2013, 1:20

Hopefully Smedley not going to be his race engineer, that is also something what Massa will benefit a great deal of, a fresh surroundings and treatment.

11. J Dubya (@j-dubya) said on 12th November 2013, 2:21

Why is it an assumption that Lotus is a better seat than Williams for 2014? I thought Williams would be better this year, but they had a lot of upheaval and turn over. It seems that they may be better sorted going into 2014. Lotus lost Allison and other key players and still hasn’t got their finances squared. The front runners will not be exploiting the exhaust gasses for downforce next year, so the advantage may swing to those who can get a handle on integrating the power delivery systems and the engineering talent at an outfit like Williams.

12. karter22 (@karter22) said on 12th November 2013, 4:07

What a shockr… *yawn*
    So Massa is off to the Brazilian refugee camp…. Frank Williams dseems to have a higher sense of guilt than I thought he had…
    Oh well… it´ll be fun watching Grosjean leaving pastor behind! Lol

13. I hate how Massa can make this move look like a step up as if he wasn’t producing the goods. Above all what was wrong with him at Ferrari was Massa himself he mustn’t forget that, and also the fact that his sponsors will bring some money along.

14. GeorgeTuk (@georgetuk) said on 12th November 2013, 12:32

Great news for all parties I’d say, I really want Williams to get back to winning ways!

Massa could do that so could Bottas I reckon.

15. THE LIMIT said on 12th November 2013, 14:16

Good news for Massa, one of the more likeable drivers on the grid. I will sit on the fence though about the future of Williams, every year is ‘supposed’ to be their turnaround season yet it always ends in disappointment. People may laugh at this, but Massa is a loss for Ferrari. He was never going to compete with Alonso, but the stability he brought to Ferrari was important. He was a team player and incredibly loyal to the Italian giants. The way he handled himself following Brazil 2008 was pure class and I have respected him every since.
    Being told to move over for Alonso two years later in Germany was another example of Massa’s loyalty to a team that, more often than not, shafted him at every opportunity as only a F1 team can. Yet not one wimper, one complaint or protest. On his day, Felipe can perform. I am staggered by comments made about Massa’s lack of talent on this site at times. This man came within a whisker of winning the drivers championship five years ago, and comfortably beat his team mate at Ferrari at the time. Oh, and before you forget, the driver he beat that year was none other than Kimi Raikkonen!

• Robbie said on 12th November 2013, 17:43

I’m with you in terms of supporting FM due to his talent. However, he definitely complained when he had to let FA go in 2010 Germany. ‘I’m no Reubens’ I believe is a direct quote from him at the time. Yet…he was…as per Ferrari admitting last year they are (were) a one-rooster team.

Neither here nor there at this point…I look forward to an unencumbered FM, and a new look Williams (because they’ll all be ‘new look’) with a Mercedes rocket in the back, and a fresh start back toward the podia. It’s going to be great to watch. I think FM to Williams is great for F1.