Perez confirms McLaren exit at the end of the year

2014 F1 season

Sergio Perez, McLaren, Yas Marina, 2013Sergio Perez has confirmed he will not drive for McLaren in 2014.

Perez joined the team from Sauber at the beginning of the season. McLaren’s development driver and Formula Renault 3.5 champion Kevin Magnussen has been tipped to take his place.

“First of all I would like to thank McLaren for giving me the opportunity to be with them this season,” said Perez in a statement.

“It has been an honour for me to have been in one of the most competitive teams in the sport and I do not regret even a bit having joined them. I have always given the best of me for the team and still despite this I could not achieve what I aimed for in this historic team.”

“I am committed to deliver very good results in these last two races, especially in Austin,” he added. “I am so much looking forward to see all my people gathered together, feel their energy and show them the best of me.”

“I would like to say to every single one of my fans around the world and in my country that I am eternally grateful to them. They have never let me down, especially in difficult moments like these. I truly appreciate their support, they have never forgotten me.”

“I have met a lot of new people at McLaren this season and I have made many good friends as well. From the top management level to the marketing, accounting and engineering departments to the mechanics, the cooks, the catering people and basically everyone in the team, I am eternally grateful to them. It has been a learning experience to me.

“I would like to wish the team the very best in the future. I will always be a fan of McLaren. In the meanwhile I will be looking at my future to ensure my best position in the best possible package to fight for wins.

“Thanks to McLaren and all of its partners this season, you can rest assured that I will never give up.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® McLaren/Hoch Zwei

166 comments on Perez confirms McLaren exit at the end of the year

1. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 13th November 2013, 18:35

I wish him the best for next season, he deserves at least a drive in a mid-team :)

2. Girts (@girts) said on 13th November 2013, 18:38

That’s a really sad statement.

I know that F1 is not a beauty contest. If a driver is underperforming, he should try his luck elsewhere. Still, I’m sad that I didn’t get to see this cheerful guy smiling on the podium more often.

Not all is lost and Perez might still find another race seat for 2014 and possibly further years. But it will be very hard for him to get back to the top.

3. I really hope Perez finds a seat for 2014, he deserves to be in Formula One. I hope Sauber welcome him back, or maybe Force India could take him.

4. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 13th November 2013, 18:42

That would be an excellent line-up.

5. I think McLaren are doing the right thing here.
    Perez has by no means lived up to the expectations. If he had the necessary speed to be a replacement for Hamilton, as the main championship challenger, then he would have shown that capability, by at the very minimum at least beating Button in qualifying regularly.

McLaren simply cannot waste their time with 2014 coming up. If they feel that Magnussen (or whoever they bring in) has what it takes to be the long term prospect, then they need to use the big changes next year to their advantage. Getting him in the car for next year, will mean that he has time to get up to speed, while all the other drivers also have a bit of adaptation and re-learning to do.

6. RetardedF1sh (@retardedf1sh) said on 13th November 2013, 18:55

With Grosjean likely stay at Lotus and Button and Magnussen at McLaren, there will be seven seats remaining for 2014 and if Sirotkin joins Sauber then only six. There are eight current drivers without a seat at the moment and there aren’t enough seats for all of them.

7. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 13th November 2013, 18:57

I’m really glad that many of the F1Fanatic community feel bad for Perez, because he doesn’t deserve to get the boot. He has been slaughtered for some on the edge moves especially from Raikkonen fans, and has had some flak from the drivers. For me, he has made some brilliant overtakes, been a consistent points-scorer, and pulled off a couple of really good results. I don’t think he’ll have any trouble getting another seat. Force India or a return to Sauber would be suitable.
    As a McLaren fan, I really hope Magnussen (or whoever Perez’s replacement is) can the boost the team are in desperate need of, as I’m starting to doubt if it will come from the other side of the garage.

• Alejandro Casillas Moreno said on 13th November 2013, 22:49

If hiring PER was a mistake, MAG will be worst. McLaren is the biggest F1 team (at last english team). They need a new HAM (and of course another Newey) in order for Withmarsh not to be remembered as a loser.

• craig-o (@craig-o) said on 14th November 2013, 8:56

They need a new Hamilton but signing Magnussen (who has been dubbed the next Hamilton) is a massive mistake?

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 14th November 2013, 15:38

@craig-o Let us wait for 2014 and see . What if Mclaren don’t build a good car in 2014 ? what then ? How will Magnussen perform ? It depends a lot on the car as well . This year’s Mclaren just lacked the pace and they couldn’t do much about it .

• craig-o (@craig-o) said on 14th November 2013, 18:29

@hamilfan well I expect him to beat Button regularly at least, something PĂ©rez has done not frequently enough. But if McLaren built a bad car in 07 he still would have beaten Alonso in the same car which was what caught people’s eye.

8. Nickpkr251 said on 13th November 2013, 19:04

Wake up call ! So Mclaren is fifth or six in WDC money, looses Vodafone Mercedes sponsorship, pays for 2014 engines ?
    Couldn’t afford Lewis salary offering a cut as well as letting go paddy lowe due not matching salary offer already this yr, let alone couldn’t develop the car properly most likely for lack of funds and already tight for 2014, seems they also need a lot money but will never recognize it public.
    So that means Maldonado will drive for Mclaren till Honda jumps in if it happens.
    Lotus go for Perez/Telmex, Hulk back to FI, Sauber goes Russian and Diresta Goes compete with Webber.

9. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 13th November 2013, 19:06

Perez is the Kovalainen. Except that Kov at least had a competitive Mclaren…

10. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 13th November 2013, 19:06

the *new* Kovalainen that is!

11. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 13th November 2013, 19:07

I love the period in the headline. Makes it extra final.
    I think this is the best that could happen for Lotus.

Because Quantum appears to have leaped, so Hulkenberg is out of the equation.
    And Maldonado is the one whose reprimands excessively eclipse his other achievements. Oh, and his sponsor is in the same industry as Grosjean’s.

Enter Perez: a sponsor who actually pays, a nice home market and decent drives. I could see that happening.

12. Julien (@jlracing) said on 13th November 2013, 19:08

I’m afraid McLaren took a gamble that just didn’t work. They took Perez in the hope that he was a new star like Raikkonen or Hamilton and with Vodafone disappearing next year they thought that Telmex would jump onboard as well. The car is bad this year so Telmex won’t pump money in the team, and on top of that Perez is not performing like McLaren wanted so now the gamble didn’t pay out they take another gamble with Magnussen

13. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 13th November 2013, 19:10

I’m very disappointed for Checo. He didn’t deserve to be dropped.

• Nickpkr251 said on 13th November 2013, 19:21

Sorry but he call it quits, Mclaren didn’t drop him and never admit public they done it, gamble was they never tought Checo will drop them so they use that leverage to get urgent sponsorship cash, only problem is it backfire big time ! Only remaining chance is PDVSA McLAREN TOONED

• That might be true. Maybe Checo has a deal in his pocket already and is leaving a sinking ship. His statement is just too nice and too polite …

• Paul (@paulmaster) said on 14th November 2013, 4:44

True, Maybe in McLaren rummors had the purpose of putting presure in negotiations with telmex, and Telmex prefer to change strategy leaving the team, with no Vodafone nor Mecedez suply I wonder where are McLaren going to get the money to develop a competitive car. I call it bad strategy.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 14th November 2013, 15:46

@paulmaster by which it has to follow that

a) Mclaren is a sinking ship (I hope they prove me wrong as they are a historical team)
          b)Perez has got a good deal . which means Perez to Lotus ( with more sponsorship) and Hulk back to Force India ? ( while this is comfortable for Perez , it ruins it for Hulkenberg )

14. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 13th November 2013, 19:15

I don’t understand why McLaren have shown so little faith in Perez. Ditching him after a single season seems massively premature. He’s been in a new team, with a substandard car, and he’s had a world champion team-mate. He’s scored valuable points for the team, shown an improvement in his racecraft throughout the season and has beaten his team mate both in qualifying and on race day several times. All in all not exactly a disaster. McLaren have been far more disappointing this year from a performance standpoint than Perez.

I hope he stays in F1. I think he’s got enough talent and potential that he could go on to succeed, but he needs to be given a chance. It’s a pity that he’s going to have to go back to a smaller team so early in his career, and I hope that he can come up the field again but recent history – Kovalainen, Petrov, Glock, Liuzzi – suggests otherwise.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 13th November 2013, 21:34

Nice one, sums it all up :)

• Robbie said on 13th November 2013, 22:34

I’m indifferent to this whole Perez/Magnussen issue so let me suggest that since we can all agree that it is a fact he was in his first year in a substandard car, there must be more to it than that. We all agree he, just like JB, was handcuffed to do much, and have been colored by the car, as all drivers are.

So there must be more to it than just pace, and I suggest it must be about SP’s ability, or lack thereof, to help progress the car. ie. all well and good to feel bad for him because the car sucked, but what did he do to advance the car? Not saying JB did much either, but…

I also wonder if this is not so much about SP doing something wrong, but more about the greater potential they see in KM for possibly many reasons that are important to the team in the long term.

I trust that Mac knows what they want from their drivers and why they have gone with KM. It might even be that they felt if they didn’t jump on KM now they might lose him to the competition.

• Jono (@me262) said on 14th November 2013, 8:36

might lose him to the competition

@colossal-squid i’d suggest that as part of the reason McLaren jumped on perez in the first place last year when he was a Ferrari driver and speculation was rife about him replacing massa

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 14th November 2013, 15:20

@me262 I think Robbie has a point, there may be more to this than just Sergio’s performance on track. It’ll be a long time before we hear the truth though!

What you say is intriguing. It’s like McLaren were entering into something that would be analogous to speculative real estate, but with drivers in order to deny certain talented drivers from going to equally large rival teams. However if this were true then they must have been quite confident in Sergio’s ability before they signed him. Magnussen must be something on the level of Vettel/Hamilton/Alonso for Perez to be dropped so readily if true, or there’s more going on behind the scenes as Robbie has suggested. Interesting!

• Paul (@paulmaster) said on 14th November 2013, 4:46

+1 Exactly what I think

• aka_robyn said on 13th November 2013, 23:23

Well said! I totally agree.

15. Well i hope McLaren suffer the same destiny that williams is suffering and never get back to their feet again.