Perez confirms McLaren exit at the end of the year

2014 F1 season

Sergio Perez, McLaren, Yas Marina, 2013Sergio Perez has confirmed he will not drive for McLaren in 2014.

Perez joined the team from Sauber at the beginning of the season. McLaren’s development driver and Formula Renault 3.5 champion Kevin Magnussen has been tipped to take his place.

“First of all I would like to thank McLaren for giving me the opportunity to be with them this season,” said Perez in a statement.

“It has been an honour for me to have been in one of the most competitive teams in the sport and I do not regret even a bit having joined them. I have always given the best of me for the team and still despite this I could not achieve what I aimed for in this historic team.”

“I am committed to deliver very good results in these last two races, especially in Austin,” he added. “I am so much looking forward to see all my people gathered together, feel their energy and show them the best of me.”

“I would like to say to every single one of my fans around the world and in my country that I am eternally grateful to them. They have never let me down, especially in difficult moments like these. I truly appreciate their support, they have never forgotten me.”

“I have met a lot of new people at McLaren this season and I have made many good friends as well. From the top management level to the marketing, accounting and engineering departments to the mechanics, the cooks, the catering people and basically everyone in the team, I am eternally grateful to them. It has been a learning experience to me.

“I would like to wish the team the very best in the future. I will always be a fan of McLaren. In the meanwhile I will be looking at my future to ensure my best position in the best possible package to fight for wins.

“Thanks to McLaren and all of its partners this season, you can rest assured that I will never give up.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

166 comments on Perez confirms McLaren exit at the end of the year

1. arki19 said on 13th November 2013, 23:20

It seems like a bit of a kneejerk reaction IMO.
    Kevin Magnussen was always going to end up at Mclaren and perhaps if 2013 hadn’t been so poor the ‘decision makers’ would have held off on bringing him in for another season. I guess after such a woeful year someone had to pay the price immediately. Maybe there will be heads to roll?
    Personally, I thought Checo did the best he could have considering what equipment he had and I enjoyed his
    enthusiastic attitude on track.

2. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 13th November 2013, 23:30

i know theres been rumours but im still very surprised, he hasnt been that bad has he? maybe if they’d built a quick car this season he could have really proved himself, i hope he finds a drive somewhere else, hulkenberg to mclaren anyone?

3. I don’t understand why button has a drive to be honest. Perez was barely given a chance. Button has underperformed for what 2 or 3 seasons now? Mclaren is my team, but I am very disappointed with this decision.

4. Murray (@dzrhml02) said on 14th November 2013, 0:03

I feel like this isn’t so much about Perez’s driving ability, but more about his backing. With Vodaphone giving up there title sponsorship next year, that made room for Telemex to come in as the title sponsor. If Telemex and McLaren couldn’t come to an agreement, then it would be out with Perez.

5. Paul (@paulmaster) said on 14th November 2013, 2:19

I bet Perez is more dissapointed of McLaren Car, than McLaren is with the driver.
    I hope He can get Lotus seat and prove F1 is about real racing and not simulator ****.

6. FERNANDO123 (@fernando123) said on 14th November 2013, 2:30

Mclaren tried to play mind games with Slim, and he called their bluff, hes not the richest man in the world because he gives away hes money, its the opposite, he has nothing to loose here, in the end he can buy Sauber if he wants and get a better deal and a descent car.
    Hes not going to give mclaren a zillion dollars to run a ****** car, just like it happened with Williams, another english team btw.

• This fits better, Kevin has a steep learning curve ahead in real life, I am sure Mclarens simulator is great, but not that great.
      Hamilton jumped shipped, This car sucks, and the sponsor’s money did not go as far as He would have wanted, if you pay for performance and do not get it…..maybe the sponsor dropped Mclaren. Checo did get more points and podiums at Sauber than he did at Mclaren, odd.

7. Paul (@paulmaster) said on 14th November 2013, 4:55

I hope He can get Lotus seat and prove F1 is about real racing and not simulation

8. Boxcar Racer (@mojopixel) said on 14th November 2013, 9:24

Was Perez pushed or did he jump. It seems a little strange to me that Perez would be shown the door at McLaren just a few days before the Austin GP where there will be many Mexican supporters. Is this a case of “you can’t fire me because I quit”?

Looking at Perez’s statement on his twitter account, it looks like he jumped! If this is the case then he must have something lined up, for sure! Anyone else think the same?

9. ingreen said on 14th November 2013, 13:05

Although Perez’s season was poor, it’s not entirely his fault given the car’s performances, and Button’s results are hardly better (given his experience). I’ts very harsh nevertheless giving him the axe. He wasn’t given a second chance when Grojean has, despite reckless and dangerous driving in 2012. I hope he ends up in the sauber car next year.