Lotus approached Schumacher to replace Raikkonen

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Nurburgring Nordschleife, 2013In the round-up: Lotus tried to bring Michael Schumacher back as a temporary replacement for Kimi Raikkonen.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Lotus fail with sensational attempt to bring Schumacher out of retirement again (Daily Mail)

“It is unclear whether the appeal to Schumacher came prior to an offer to fellow German Nico Hulkenberg, who Lotus want to fill the vacancy brought about by Raikkonen?s return to Ferrari on a permanent basis next season.”

Vettel rivals ‘encouraged’ booing (BBC)

“It has been convenient for some of his rivals to treat him like [the bad guy] and they have encouraged it, whether that’s Fernando Alonso taking off his cap and throwing it in the crowd as soon as Sebastian talks on the podium to get a reaction.”

Moscow F1 Plans Move Forward as Architect Tilke Drafted In (RSport)

“Plans for a new Formula One track on the outskirts of Moscow took a major step forward Tuesday with the announcement that prolific motorsport architect Hermann Tilke?s company had been tasked with designing the circuit.”

Piquet hospitalised with heart trouble (MSN)

“The 61-year-old retired Brazilian driver [Nelson] Piquet underwent surgery on a blocked artery late on Tuesday at Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo.”

‘Being a simple sponsor is like paying for sex’ (ESPN)

“There are other things that are less obvious, and you may have Adrian picking something and saying ‘I’m interested in scratch-shield paint’ and we wonder why he would be interested in that because it seems like a cosmetic benefit, but he’s interested in it for its aerodynamic properties. Or there is light-weight magnesium which we have and the team is now using.”

Lewis: F1 will crack America (Sky)

“The more I go to the States, the more I meet people who are crazy-passionate about it.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Fer-no65 on McLaren’s decision to drop Perez:

I still maintain that his performances haven?t been specially bad considering the circumstances. Neither he nor Button did well, and neither got the chance to do well either. The car was just a complete failure.

It?s hard to compare drivers when one has been a multiple grand prix winner with the team on his fourth year at the same factory with the new guy that wasn?t even in F1 when Button joined McLaren.

But (and it?s a big one) they are replacing him because they feel there?s a Vettel/Hamilton in the making in the shape of Magnussen, good for them. We?re all very vocal about how the best drivers should have the best lineup, and if the rumours are true, then it?s good news for F1.

On a side note, a bit harsh on Mexican fans who might lose the Mexican GP and just about lost their main driver?s seat ahead of their second “home” GP.
@Fer-no65

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Sridhar!

On this day in F1

Happy birthday to Eliseo Salazar who is 59 today. Salazar, the only Chilean to ever race in Formula One, started 24 grands prix in the early eighties, scoring a best finish of fifth for ATS in the controversial 1982 San Marino Grand Prix.

But he is best remembered for this incident later that year when he was attacked by Piquet after knocking the reigning world champion out of the lead while being lapped.

133 comments on Lotus approached Schumacher to replace Raikkonen

1 2 3
  1. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 14th November 2013, 0:15

Lotus fail with sensational attempt to bring Schumacher out of retirement again

Driven by desperation, Lotus is rapidly becoming the butt of their own jokes.

2. William (@william) said on 14th November 2013, 0:18

Mexico will start building the pit lane in January of 2014 to get it ready for it in two years time. Mexico is joining the ever increasing calendar in 2015 which should be 23 in total.

3. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 14th November 2013, 0:19

That’s just desperate lol.

4. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 14th November 2013, 0:20

Schumacher is the kind of option someone would say as a joke. What is wrong with Lotus?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 14th November 2013, 0:26

I suspect this is more a case of the Daily Mail‘s tabloid tactics than a genuine bid from the team.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 14th November 2013, 10:17

This.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 14th November 2013, 11:48

I expect someone from Lotus enquired to see if he was available but that doesn’t mean that he was ever really in their thinking. I’m sure they’ve checked up on lots of drivers to understand who is the best option.

Obviously it reads better to say that they “failed in a sensational approach to bring Schumi back out of retirement” but in reality, they probably just asked around to see who was available and Shumi came back as negative.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 14th November 2013, 14:47

Only the Daily mail copied that from BILD @prisoner-monkeys. And while Bild might be a tabloid as well, they tend to get really close enough to real sources for F1 news, so I wouldn’t be surprised if true.
        Remember that tweet from German TV pundit Kai Ebel yesterday, that mentioned having met Schumi somewhere 2 days back? He confirmed it, although that did look as if it was in a joking fashion. I think I saw other serious journalists mention that they believed it to be true.

• Oople said on 14th November 2013, 0:28

Maybe Lotus grabbing “the legendary” Schumacher for a couple of races, especially the American one, might raise the eyebrows of a couple of potential sponsors.

It’s my theory on the matter, anyway :)

• I like the picture Keith chose for Schumacher article. It’s like,
      Lotus: “Hey Michael, would you like to come back with us?”
      MSC: *LMAO*

• If true, that’s funny… first of all, someone like Schumacher wouldn’t be interested in driving for them, against Grosjean who has been exceptional lately and after an year out of F1 cars. And having “betrayed” Ferrari for Mercedes I wouldn’t think he’d do the same for Lotus…
      Also useless, because he has shown since his comeback to be very slow at adapting to car/tyres or simply to get up to racing speed, so I’d dare say even Kovalainen is a better choice. Hulkenberg, if signed for next year, would have been great for both, but a blow to Sauber with who, after all, he has a contract.

5. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 14th November 2013, 0:22

Disappointing. Having Schumacher drive in a relatively fast Lotus for two races would surely have been entertaining, but it’s understandable that he rejected the offer.

Interestingly enough though, when Schumacher and Rosberg were teammates in 2012, Michael performed at least as well as Nico, relatively speaking, if not better. Without bad luck for either drivers, Schumacher would have scored more points than Rosberg in 2012.

Now that Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton are teammates, Rosberg is at the very least matching Hamilton in overall performance.

Using deductive reasoning, you can then conclude that Michael Schumacher, even at the age of 43, was at least equally good of a driver as Lewis Hamilton is today. :O

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 14th November 2013, 0:39

Schumacher was quite serious about the comeback from his original retirement. This would have had circus atmosphere all over it.

• dpod (@dpod) said on 14th November 2013, 2:03

Nico Rosberg was clearly the better the driver of the two, it’s just hard to tell given the unreliability of Mercedes.

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 14th November 2013, 2:21

@dpod

Nico Rosberg was clearly the better the driver of the two

Qualifying battle in 2012 was 10-10, and Schumacher beat Rosberg 7-3 in races which they both finished. Schumi also would have scored more points than Nico without his abysmal luck in the first half of the season.

Rosberg is now matching Hamilton, both drivers are 28 and in the prime of their careers. Schumacher as fast as Rosberg, hence Hamilton, at the age of 43.

Just think about that for a minute…

If Schumacher in his 40′s is as fast as the top drivers in Formula 1 today, then just how fast would Michael Schumacher from the late 90′s have been?

• Robbie said on 14th November 2013, 2:31

Or one could just as easily speculate that with less bad luck on MS’s side would have come more collisions by him driving into more innocent drivers than he did.

Personally I think the fact that it took him 3 years to just match NR, or maybe if one wants to use MS biased speculation, even better NR some days, shows just how much he needed all the advantages he had at Ferrari in order to compile the numbers that he did.

• Victor. (@victor) said on 14th November 2013, 3:10

That’s ridiculously speculative; I can’t even be bothered to dissect it.

More interestingly, I think Hamilton is the sort of person that performs best if he’s thoroughly challenged. Not taking anything away from Rosberg, and Button, the first of whom I highly rate, but I do think that Hamilton is the sort of guy that could match the very best, but might get outscored by a slightly lesser teammate (i.e. Button) for no rational reason at all. I’d argue that motivation, commitment, and a conception of self-worth, even if at a subconscious level, is hugely significant here. People like to ‘write’ Hamilton ‘off’, in terms of perhaps not living up to his potential, but let’s remember that the guy essentially beat (i.e. was much more impressive than) potentially the strongest driver in F1 in his debut year (ergo when he was highly motivated and not so much interested in a rubbish but superficially hot female singer, was focusing on impressing the team and the F1 world in general, and, once he started to give Alonso a run for his money, his ego).

I’m not arguing that Hamilton is better than Schumacher or anything of the kind, but I do think Hamilton’s pure talent to put his foot down properly seems to be at its best when he’s being truly challenged. The human brain is a weird thing…

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 14th November 2013, 3:32

@victor

That’s ridiculously speculative; I can’t even be bothered to dissect it.

It is speculative, but not an idea that is snatched out of the blue sky. Schumacher and Hamilton can be directly compared through Rosberg, and despite Lewis being some 16 years younger, he’s looked no better against Nico than Michael did.

As for the rest of your post, that what I would call speculative. Hamilton beat Kovalainen easily at McLaren, so I’m not sure if Lewis’s performances fall off even when his teammate is of lesser ability.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 14th November 2013, 4:17

Ha Ha .LOL. Good point there . Maybe he should stop being in the news for a while and try harder to beat Nico .

• Victor. (@victor) said on 14th November 2013, 4:24

@kingshark

Comparing two competitors on the basis of their record against a third competitor neglects too many variables to make much sense (unless it is completely one-sided).

As to my statement, it was merely a casual observation rather than being meant as an objective assertion. Regarding Kovalainen: fair point. Perhaps it’s not a matter of comparison to a teammate, but an issue of motivation/commitment full stop. As well as Hamilton performed in ’10 and ’12 (and parts of ’13), I do feel like some of the flair is gone, and it’s a much more inconsistent pattern (although, really, the two seasons I mentioned were arguably his most solid seasons, so I don’t really know what my point is…). Perhaps I’m trying to point at a sort of hunger, which both Alonso and Vettel have in abundance, but Hamilton seems to be lacking.

• dkpioe said on 14th November 2013, 4:40

Hamilton was good in his.first 2 years when tyre wear was not a factor. Since then he is still only fast in that scenario (qualifying). Alonso has matured and adapted as a driver whereas hamilton has never improved on his sensational start to f1. vettel, now he is so consistently sensational

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 14th November 2013, 12:16

@kingshark
            “Despite Lewis being some 16 years younger, he’s looked no better against Nico than Michael did”.
            In his first year at Mercedes, where it’s Rosberg’s fourth, Hamilton is still outscoring him (and that includes a potential win robbed at Silverstone), and winning in the qualifying battle, which Schumacher didn’t achieve in any of his three years. If that doesn’t look better than Schumacher against Rosberg then I don’t know what does.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 14th November 2013, 13:50

I agree @kingshark .

Schumacher and Hamilton can be directly compared through Rosberg. Enough said. Rosberg has always had strong qualifying form, but was not in any obvious way better than Schumacher, especially in the races.

I felt that Schumacher had lot of bad luck, but as we can see now, the Mercedess car is very strange and unpredictable in its performance.

If I had to rank the three drivers, based on their overal performance seen in the past 3-4 years, it would be:

1. Hamilton
            2. Schumacher
            3. Rosberg

• We have a direct comparison of Schumacher and Hamilton – karting WC? at Kerpen in 2000/2 sometime. I think Schumacher beat Hamilton that day.. Rosberg too? :) Although Liuzzi beat him Schumi to the World Karting Title, who came second.

• Dafffid (@dafffid) said on 14th November 2013, 11:17

Except for everyone at Mercedes saying how with Lewis’s arrival, Rosberg had to up his game – despite having whipped Schumi for 2 of 3 seasons

• This. I’ve been thinking this since Hamilton joined Mercedes. However, I noticed the majority of the comments saying it was a mistake to come back, citing his clumsy accidents. The car was horrible, and Schumacher struggled to adapt until 2012, when he was on it, but lost too many points due to unreliability.

How many other F1 drivers have been able to race as competitively as Schumacher did in their 40′s? I think his comeback was a success, but the team was goin through a hard time.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 14th November 2013, 11:52

@kingshark I’m not convinced Rosberg is as good as Hamilton just yet. It’s Hamilton’s first year in a car that he is still getting used to. Rosberg has spent years at Mercedes.

I’m not saying that Rosberg isn’t as good – just that it’s too early to say either way. Not many drivers get in a new car and instantly hit the ground running for the first season.

• Robbie said on 14th November 2013, 13:22

@petebaldwin I agree with that. I pull for NR moreso than LH but I too have been impressed with how well LH did out of the box. I didn’t doubt he would do it, just thought NR would have more of the upper hand initially. So I think this is a great pairing. NR has a few wins now. LH will push him just by his presence. They will continue to be fun to watch.

I think one of the issues with MS has to have been that he was coming from not just time away from F1, but a situation that could not possibly duplicate all that he had at Ferrari, and that had to have felt to him like F1-lite in a way. In his past not only was his car tailored to him, but if it didn’t feel quite right they could get it feeling right much more quickly, much more often, and more consistently than was possible at Merc. I’m not an MS fan so I was thrilled to see how well NR did once MS was there. It not only didn’t phase him…it seemed to invigorate him. And here he is in a see-saw dual with LH too.

6. Roald (@roald) said on 14th November 2013, 0:24

Kovalainen will probably end up racing for Lotus in America and Brasil. But I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; he’s mediocre at best. He was pretty bad at McLaren, he wasn’t exactly showing Petrov who was fastest and the other teammate he had at Caterham, Trulli, was nearing his 40′s when Kovalainen beat him. I’m getting sick and tired of Kovalainen, he’s had his chance. I don’t know why Caterham seems to think he’ll somehow be faster than VDG and Pic. Lotus’ got reserve/test/third drivers, use them. Plenty of young talent that would dream of a chance to prove themselves like Kovalainen was given the chance all too many times alteady.

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 14th November 2013, 0:37

I don’t really know what the hype around Heikki is all about either. He was demolished by Lewis, and not much better than Petrov. Sure, he looked good against a prehistoric Trulli, but we don’t really know just how capable those Caterham’s really were.

Robin Frijns would have been a much better choice.

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 14th November 2013, 0:50

A much better choice for what purpose, exactly?

Frijns would have been a sensible choice of driver to put in the car if Lotus were looking for someone to fill a seat in 2014. If they’ve already settled on Grosjean and Hülkenberg, then it’s completely understandable that they’d go for someone who has driven the 2013 machinery (albeit at a different team, and only in free practice), who will settle in quickly, who isn’t likely to put the car into the wall, and, given the recent financial struggles of the team, who won’t ask for much compensation.

• Not if you want someone at short notice for little or no pay with the best shot at bringing home some (any) points. Hekki is seriously the most sensible option…

• Should gave said that I agree with Estesark… And a typo on Hekki’s name… My comment as meant for Frijns or Schumacher possibility… I think Kovalainen will fare better than D’Ambrosio did in sub. Personally, I would have loved to see Ant Davidson get a shot, but he’s probably too long out of F1 and has no KERS or DRS experience outside of a simulator…

• dpod (@dpod) said on 14th November 2013, 2:06

Agree with almost everything you wrote.

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 14th November 2013, 10:49

Frijns isn’t a better choice. Remember that Lotus is looking a replacement for the last two races only. As long as they can’t hire any of the current drivers, Kovalainen is their next best shot. He was a race driver until last season and he’s been driving Caterham this season. Given that there will be no opportunity to test before these two races, I think Kovalainen will most likely gather more points than Frijns (or any other option) would.

• Girts (@girts) said on 14th November 2013, 11:23

@hotbottoms I agree although I understand why some fans might prefer Frijns or Valsecchi to Kovalainen as it’s always exciting to watch a new driver come into the sport. But Lotus has to think pragmatic. Yes, there is no guarantee that Kovalainen will score a lot of points in the next two races. But there is also no reason to think that a rookie, who has spent just a few laps testing an F1 car is better than an experienced race driver, who has outperformed all his team mates during the last three seasons.

• Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 14th November 2013, 5:27

Heikki isnt going to win you a grand prix, neither is Valeschi. However, Heikki will be solid enough to bring the car home and possibly score a few points.

Its a logical thing to do. This is a stop gap, get an experienced guy in for a couple races.

• marsianwalrus (@einariliyev) said on 14th November 2013, 8:47

I don’t know, since when is Heikki a “solid” consistent driver? In his Mclaren days he was terribly incosistent and at times finished outside of points when his team-mate won the race. Yes, he was consistent in Caterham, but being consistent in a slow car and doing that in fast car are two different things. Max Chilton is consistent in that Marussia, maybe Lotus should being him in so he scores a couple of points each race?

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 14th November 2013, 10:52

@einariliyev

I don’t think that ever happened.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 14th November 2013, 12:11

@einariliyev – in defense of Kovalainen, he wasn’t very consistent but that was partly due to him joining McLaren in only his 2nd year in F1. It takes time to become consistent and having now spent 7 seasons in F1, I would expect more from him.

Whilst there are probably rookies out there who would be faster than Kovalainen, they are also much more likely to bin it on the first lap. I would fully expect Heikki to get the car to the finish and with the pace the Lotus has, he should bring home some points.

7. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 14th November 2013, 0:24

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner says Sebastian Vettel’s rivals have encouraged the booing of the four-time world champion.
    “It has been convenient for some of his rivals to treat him like that and they have encouraged it, whether that’s Fernando Alonso taking off his cap and throwing it in the crowd as soon as Sebastian talks on the podium to get a reaction.

What on Earth is Horner talking about? 0_O

• Mansell's_Stache said on 14th November 2013, 0:36

I thought this matter was put to rest. BBC: Let it die, already. I could not determine who the author of the story is. Would not attach my name to it either.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 14th November 2013, 10:31

It’s a partial transcription of this podcast. Don’t know if people outside the UK can download it, but it is a direct link to the MP3. Get it while you can though – it’s only up for a few weeks.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 14th November 2013, 1:05

Unsubstantiated nonsense. His only example seemed to be that Alonso took his hat off once…

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 14th November 2013, 1:08

…which makes me thing, I’ve never taken a hat off in Vettel’s presence specifically, but I have taken hats off otherwise- does that make me as guilty as Alonso, or do I need to be there when the booing happens? I don’t understand the sacred rules relating to headwear.

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 14th November 2013, 4:18

Horner is just playing the blame game as usual. It’s not Alonso’s fault that he is more likable than the entire Red Bull team combined (apart from Webber).

• robhaus said on 14th November 2013, 5:57

yeah, it’s not Alonso’s fault but neither it’s up to Horner and Vettel..

So for me being German (and what a surprise supporting Vettel) it’s simply like that: Vettel is a true race driver giving a **** about being 2nd (even behind his teammate who is also a pure driver who deservers alot of respect!!) while Alonso on the other hand is kind of a politician who is always complaining and trying to force FIA into Ferrari-friendly decisions.

But to be honest at this stage RBR is getting at least the same amount of questionable decisions in their favour. The difference is that their favours (like the change of tyres in midseason) is overall whilst Ferrari is claiming this and that on a decent racesituation.. I would love to see someone standing up to Vettel and make it a real combat for the championship because im getting tired of seeing Vettel in the lead as well!!

Whatever even if i take all my national credibilties back Alo is still acting like a total douchebag off track while Vet is that only on track (which is natural). So what i’m trying to say is that Alonso is definitly not MORE likeable then Vettel..

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 14th November 2013, 10:59

@kingshark
            Alonso more likable than Vettel? Well, I guess that depends on who you are rooting for.

I’m not a fan of either one of them, but for me someone who held his team mate in qualifying, tried to blackmail his team, was part of crashgate and is constantly moaning off track isn’t more likable than someone whose biggest fault is that he has won everything.

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 14th November 2013, 9:23

Normal behaviour: when there’s an interview going on you listen politely. If you’re a jerk, you ignore it and actively engage in hat-throwing with the audience.

Having said that, Horner should stop about it. It’ll go away when he drives for Ferrari…

• Spinmastermic (@spinmastermic) said on 14th November 2013, 1:30

Horner always spews this **, just ignore him and throw your hats as you like.

• Alex (@alexny67) said on 14th November 2013, 1:32

Things like Horner’s (lately) cooky attitude are the motivation for the “booing”. Same for Adrian Newey.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 14th November 2013, 1:55

@kingshark My Ferrari fan, now I agree with you. Because even if Alonso threw his hat while Vettel was speaking in Monza, that doesn’t trigger booing, just cheering for the Italian team in Italian land. That’s not bad. And lately the booing has just vanished, just as many other trends that, good or annoying, dissapear frequently.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 14th November 2013, 6:41

+1.

This can go both ways, indeed. But I see more chances for the opposite: by throwing something (cap, glove, helmet etc) at the crowd, that should stop/reduce the BOO because what Alonso throw is definitely more important and would shift the attention instantly. Plus, Monza is Ferrari’s home race, the most important race for them so, as long as a Ferrari driver was on the podium, he had to give more attention to the Monza crowd than every other GP.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 14th November 2013, 2:05

Poor Sebastien, everybody is picking on him Boo Hoo.

• karter22 (@karter22) said on 14th November 2013, 2:40

This is just ridiculous…. So now they are making out Alonso the source of all the boos towards Vettel?? What a crock of poo!!!! Maybe the crowd feels something entirely different than what they want them to feel?? Has that ever crossed your mind Horner?? You cannot shove something down someone´s throat and expect them to eat it up… Not evrybody has to worship the ground Vetel walks on! Arrogance is the culprit, plain and simple! Get over it!

• JCost (@jcost) said on 14th November 2013, 6:17

So pathetic. Horner sounds like a dictator being contested by the youth of his country and telling “the kids” they’re just puppets of foreign interests…

I understand the fuss, but I don’t get why people try too find exotic explanations for the boos! In my book, non-Red Bull fans boo Seb because they think his wins are mostly down to the car and he’s an undeserving winner; that’s the rational behind the boos, I’m not saying it’s correct assessment of Seb’s wins or if it’s fair, but that’s the root cause.

Blaming Alonso is plain stupid.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 14th November 2013, 6:35

@kingshark

You beat me to the same post.

I think Christian and Sebastian need to get their eager for ‘high school popularity’ needs in check. None of their rivals have intentionally done anything to get the crowd to work against Vettel. To suggest Alonso intentionally threw his cap into the audience to bribe them to boo for Vettel, shows exactly how deluded Chiristian Horner is.

People bee Vettel because they think he’s a dou che bag . As simple as that

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 14th November 2013, 8:04

yeah – they should let it go. Alonso is known for his mind games and he definitely enjoys his current status, but saying things like this is just dumb and bound to backfire.
      Vettel is 26 and at the beginning of his career and in the end he still has plenty of time to win the fans over – latest when he joins Ferrari in 2016.

• Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 14th November 2013, 9:25

Can someone explain to me how taking off a cap is encouraging booing at a rival? Horner has a tendency to talk nonsense when it comes to popular perception of Vettel.

8. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 14th November 2013, 0:26

Looks like Kovalainen is getting the job according to multiple reports. Probably the best Lotus could do under these conditions. Would have liked to seen what Valsecchi could do, but evidently Lotus went for experience.

9. I’m shocked to listen that Horner is still affirming that he does not know why people didn’t like Vettel’s attitude in Malaysia. In my opinion Horner’s at fault in that row.

• Not the first time… Seb should have got a b@llocking instead of a hug on the pit wall after the Turkey collision with Webber (crazy sign toward head).

• BarnstableD (@barnstabled) said on 14th November 2013, 11:30

I agree with Horner. Fans say they hate team orders and want to see more non-DRS racing, but then there’s an outcry when a driver ignores one and battles cleanly for the lead of a race without DRS? Seems hypocritical to me and the only reasoning that makes sense to me is that Webber is popular and Vettel is not.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 14th November 2013, 12:18

I can see your point but the issue was that Webber was told he wouldn’t be passed so wasn’t prepared to defend.

Having said that, I have no issue with what Vettel did. It was a shame he apologised initially but atleast he eventually admitted that he was racing and would do the same again. Good on him.

The team still go the same points – it’s only a problem if they make contact which they didn’t. If you can’t trust your drivers to pass each other, you should get better drivers!

10. matt90 (@matt90) said on 14th November 2013, 0:49

Random thing, but I was watching Pointless (a BBC game show) today, and they had an F1 fact wrong. For a round where they had to answer facts about Monaco, one was ‘the decade in which it first hosted a Formula 1 Grand Prix.’ They had the answer as the ’20s, which may well be the first Grand Prix, but was long before F1.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 14th November 2013, 0:59

@matt90 it’s incorrect then, isn’t it?! Should’ve been “the decade in which if first hosted a Grand Prix”

Did they lose money because of the wrong answer? I’d go fuming to the studios :P !

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 14th November 2013, 1:03

@fer-no65 Thankfully nobody elected to answer that one (they had a choice of 6 facts, and only 2 teams to give answers at that stage). I would loved somebody to have answered it and then corrected them, although I imagine if something like that happened they’d just void the question and never broadcast it.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 14th November 2013, 4:22

@matt90

Yep they would get it plain wrong rather than accept their mistakes .

11. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 14th November 2013, 0:57

Nice COTD. With 2 typos :P. But well…

Schumacher bck on F1? I thought Lotus wanted to challenge for points ! Heikki is a much safer, and better bet. Or maybe they wanted to grab the headlines… and get some money… thinking about it, it might have been good for the team’s finances, Heikki’s name won’t grab the front pages of the newspapers of the world…

12. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 14th November 2013, 1:23

I still think they should give Maldonado to race in COTA and Hulk in Brazil. I don’t specifically remember how well Maldonado was in COTA last year, but what I remember is Hulk getting impressive races in Brazil (and that slide against Hamilton which was half his fault and half the rainy conditions)

• JCost (@jcost) said on 14th November 2013, 6:29

Maldonado had a terrif fight in Texas vs his teammate (Bruno Senna), probably second to Lewis vs. Seb fight.

Hulk usually shines in São Paulo (a pole included).

13. aka_robyn said on 14th November 2013, 1:24

I’m not sure why people are regarding the idea of Schumacher filling in for Raikkonen as so ludicrous. I mean, I think it should have been Valsecchi — but if the choice were between Schumacher and Kovalainen?

Sure, Kovalainen has done some Friday practices, but they were in a Caterham. The last time either driver raced in F1 was last year. And Schumacher is Schumacher. He isn’t “legendary.” He’s legendary. If it were up to me, I’d be asking him, too.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 14th November 2013, 2:01

He wasn’t the creme of F1 since 2010, tho. The legend finished its job in 2006 and returned as an old fella with plenty of talent but not the correct circumstances.

Also, he probably hasn’t trained for an F1 ride, nor competed professionally, nor took part of F1 weekends… not even other series, weekends. Appart from the Nurburgring ride he did in last year’s Mercedes.

Plus didn’t he feel sick at simulators and couldn’t use them? Heikki probably did a lot of work in that department and knows these new Pirellis a lot better than Valsecchi, which, IMO, shouldn’t be picked either.

14. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 14th November 2013, 2:07

Even as a Ferrari fan, I have to agree that Alonso especially tried to add fuel to the booing at times. I want to think he didn’t do it consciously, but knowing Alonso, he might well have done it.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 14th November 2013, 2:27

@wsrgo really? I mean, you can play mind games, but “fueling the booing?” I’ve never heard Fernando saying “Vettel disrespected Webber so let’s boo him” or nothing like that. He can invent excuses to diminish Vettel’s talent on the eyes of the tifosi (and hence making him look not so far behind this season) but really, the maximum you can say about him throwing the cap is “breaking the protocol”, as Vettel and Kimi sw3ar1ng on live TV, or Kobayashi trying to give his speech in Japanese first. Minor things (even the sw3ar1ng is IMHO more rude, because of the family hour)

• Robbie said on 14th November 2013, 2:46

So if FA tried to fuel the booing then that should just tell SV and Horner that the booing, or, the negative sentiment, was not actually as bad in reality.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 14th November 2013, 9:23

Why do people always say that Raikkonen and Vettel were swearing on the podium? They used the s- and f-words, yes, but it was just used in slang terms for “I don’t care” and “make a mistake” – I would not call that swearing. Swearing is always directed at someone or something. @omarr-pepper

• Victor. (@victor) said on 14th November 2013, 3:22

Given that the booing started quite a bit earlier, there’s a clear connection between the reinforcement of your status as an appreciated person and a simultaneous depreciation of the perception of your main rival.

• Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 14th November 2013, 5:24

@wsrgo

Are you Christian Horner or Sebastien Vettel in disguise?

• Yongxin said on 14th November 2013, 5:46

What if fernando heard the boos and tried to stop it by throwing his cap to the crowd

15. Kimi4WDC said on 14th November 2013, 2:11

Valsechi should get a nod regardless, anything else is bull. Considering how Lotus management team running their business, standings in the Championship is irrelevant for them.

Good luck.

• Minardi (@gitanes) said on 14th November 2013, 2:55

I agree. They have him in their “junior” GP2 team with Renault livery – he wins the GP2 championship. Its the end of the year – really not much chance to gain 26 points on Ferrari anyway. What is the point of a reserve driver then? Just in case someone gets sick on the Friday?

Kovalainen is fine – but suddenly I’m reminded of the JV/Renault experiment in 2004. How’d that work out?

1 2 3