Leaving Williams was a “tough decision” – Maldonado

2013 United States Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Buddh International Circuit, 2013Pastor Maldonado says it was his decision to leave Williams after three years with the team.

Wiliams confirmed on Monday Felipe Massa will replace Maldonado in their 2014 line-up.

“It was a tough decision from my side,” said Maldonado during the United States Grand Prix press conference.

“I spent three years with the team, special years I think, they give me the opportunity to become a Formula One driver. We won a race which is quite special as a driver and I think as a team, even for them after eight years without winning anything. So I think was the most special moment for us.

“But sometimes you need to take some hard decisions. It’s my case at the moment. I think I’m feeling quite good, is leaving an important moment for my career, improving every time, doing some solid races, trying to get the maximum from the team, trying to get the maximum from the car.

“For sure the season has been very, very hard for all the team. We were expecting something more from the car from the total performance. And yeah we couldn’t achieve our targets but sometimes it’s like that, Formula One is like that, sometimes you can and sometimes not, you need to learn from the mistake and try always to do your best.”

Asked if he knew which team he will be driving for next year Maldonado said: “Yeah, for sure I know.”

“I have a couple of options, we are still working on it. And I really hope to have a clear answer soon.”

2013 United States Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 United States Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Williams/LAT

115 comments on Leaving Williams was a “tough decision” – Maldonado

1. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 14th November 2013, 22:50

“Yeah, for sure I know.”

so does he know? or not :S

2. Jono (@me262) said on 14th November 2013, 22:59

I fear that everyones worst fears will be materialised: Ive got my money on maldonado for that Lotus seat.

I did the maths: Lotus in financial turmoil, Maldonado with PVDSA millions, quick driver and race winner that ok not quite the scorecard of the hulk but still with potential. The hulk has come off a year of not getting paid with sauber so one can understand the immediate reservation hulk has with joining lotus

Also i’d point out the double standards of a lot of F1 fanatics – Sergio Perez had a dog of a car this year yet most people were dismisive that maldonado had a dog of a car this year too – and dont give me that ‘he was beaten by a rooki’ line. Alonso was equaled by rookie hamilton in 2007 – does that make him any less of what he is? Maybe bottas is a future triple world champion…

3. “Yeah, for sure I know.”

The look on Bianchi’s face when he said this in the press conference was like… ‘What… the… What?!’

Alternatively, it seemed like everyone snickered when Bianchi said he was happy to already have a contract for next year… with Marussia.

4. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 14th November 2013, 23:20

Didn’t Maldonado say that he was “… happy to be leaving Williams” and that he often delivered more than they delivered for him?

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 15th November 2013, 3:33

@tophercheese21 Nice string of lies to make it sound that way, in my opinion. Williams car was bad, fine. But they didn’t like his lunge in Suzuka and he ( knowing his previous attitude after crashes ) would not have felt one bit sorry for what he did . They got Massa , so good for them ( If they get Brawn , well…you never know about next year’s car)

5. Kimi4WDC said on 15th November 2013, 0:50

Let’s see who I would cut before Maldonado:
    Chilton
    Gutierezz
    Di Resta
    Sutil
    Lotus management team

I find Maldonado is in same league racing wise as Grosjean and Perez, they all have different personalities though.

6. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 15th November 2013, 3:29

Maldonado : “It was a tough decision from my side,”

Ya ya say what you want . I think he was fired for his attitude and they pounced on Massa . A good decision from Williams altogether .

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 15th November 2013, 10:08

I think it was him (and PDVSA) deciding to try their luck elsewhere. Remember they had to pay off Williams to end this contract, that does not sound or feel like the team throwing him out at all.

Its that money which is now paying for Massas salary most likely @hamilfan

7. noonnonono, Hulk, Jules, Valsecchi, but please no Maldonado!!!