Drivers sport special helmets for United States GP

2013 United States Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Circuit of the Americas, 2013

Several drivers have switched helmet designs for the United States Grand Prix weekend.

Among those using a one-off design for this race is Lewis Hamilton, who has changed from his usual yellow design to a red helmet paying tribute to Michael Jackson.

Sebastian Vettel and Romain Grosjean are both wearing American-themed helmets. Meanwhile Mexican duo Sergio Perez and Esteban Gutierrez, who have many supporters from their nearby homeland at the track, have their national colours on their helmets. And Giedo van der Garde has also changed his design for this weekend.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?? Lotus/LAT, McLaren/Hoch Zwei, Daimler/Hoch Zwei, Red Bull/Getty, Sauber, Caterham/LAT

35 comments on Drivers sport special helmets for United States GP

1. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 16th November 2013, 22:15

Hamilton’s: the more I look it, the worse it gets.

At least it’s easier to differentiate him from Rosberg… tho I looks as if MSC is back on that car :P.

• It’s that Monster-craplogo.. It just doesn’t fit the red

• celeste (@celeste) said on 16th November 2013, 22:51

I don´t think is the logos, or the colors… is the way Michael Jackson is draw. Just looks weird…

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 16th November 2013, 22:53

@celeste yeah, exactly… and the message around it. MJ wasn’t a pretty boy but he could’ve got a better pic !

• celeste (@celeste) said on 16th November 2013, 22:58

@fer-no65 I agree. I was thinking that a helmet with MJ´s lyrics or song names… everybody knows them.

But with that picture and the finish doesn´t look like a helmet one of the best paid F1 drivers will use. More like any guy for any bike will have…

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 16th November 2013, 23:02

@celeste yeah, take the picture away and it’s a decent thing. Not brilliant, but ok. This one is probably one of the worst helmets I’ve seen in a long while !

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th November 2013, 9:54

@celeste – I think I saw an explanation from either Vettel or Hamiltons helmet designer that they can’t use song lyrics or names because of copyright issues (they would have to pay for using it), and we know from the hunt thing on Kimis helmet, that even Bernie would want them to pay for advertising time if it can be seen on the onboards.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 17th November 2013, 23:22

@bascb I didn´t knew that; but I do remember the Hunt incident.

• Superleggera (@superleggera) said on 17th November 2013, 0:56

I honestly think it suits his personality really well, and differentiating him from Rosberg is an added bonus!

2. crooky369 (@crooky369) said on 16th November 2013, 22:18

Grosjeans helmet I assume is in honour of Francois Cevert.

3. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 16th November 2013, 22:29

Really like the colour of Hamiltons helmet ..just not so sure on the design :/

4. Beto (@chebeto0) said on 16th November 2013, 23:02

I like the red from Hamilton’s helmet, and I like a lot that he chose Michael Jackson as the theme, but I think the design as a whole is bad. It seems to me a bit… tacky.

5. Psychotext (@textuality) said on 16th November 2013, 23:15

So apparently Vettel has a different helmet for the race. Soon he’ll be changing them at pitstops.

6. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 17th November 2013, 0:35

The US Grand Prix is becoming like the Monaco Grand Prix with all these special helmets!

7. spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 17th November 2013, 0:58

Really cool design for Grosjean! That’s french, no doubt, even more with the Total logo :)

8. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 17th November 2013, 9:17

So, Hamilton decided to use a memorial helmet to honor sick pedophile. Wow, that is just disgusting.

9. Dr.Good said on 17th November 2013, 13:11

There’s one important rule in design, that seems to be escaping each and every F1 helmet designer: you don’t put faux 3D effects on a real-life, already three-dimensional object. Helmets have so many intricate details in their shape, that they’d look impressive even if they were all in just one color. Having them with so many sparkling, drop-shadow, glow nonsense, makes each and every one of them look like a horrible mess.