Bottas: “We deserved” first points

2013 United States Grand Prix

Valtteri Bottas, Williams, Circuit of the Americas, 2013Valtteri Bottas hailed a “great day” for him and Williams after scoring the first points of his F1 career with eighth place.

“I’m very happy for the team, we got finally some points with me as well, and four points,” said Bottas to reporters after the race.

“Really did a very good job today. The strategy, the race start, pit stop, everyone from the team did so good job, I really feel like we deserved it.

Bottas said the team’s recent decision to remove the diffuser-blowing exhaust configuration from the FW35 “made quite a big difference, especially on this track”.

“I think we really did everything right, especially with the tyres,” he added. “I think we handled those wells, both in qualifying and also in the race.”

“All the race I had very good information from the pit wall how to manage the tyres, if I can push more or not, it was nice to have good support from the team there.”

Having a quicker car made it easier for him to prove his abilities, Bottas added:

“It feels much better. I think once we have more speed, like this weekend, maybe people see more what you can do in the car.

“Eighth position is starting to be closer to what I am aiming for and we are aiming for together. Of course we want to be further ahead but I think for now we need to be very happy.”

2013 United States Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 United States Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Williams/LAT

26 comments on Bottas: “We deserved” first points

1. Sephiroth said on 17th November 2013, 22:06

Nice race for Bottas. That`s the difference between a hot-head driver like Maldonado and a professional. Bottas had more problems with the car than PM but he never complained like him.

2. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 17th November 2013, 22:08

Please Williams, keep the pace next year. More teams to fight for the top are always a good sign. And I guess Maldonado will finally have to eat his words, he will leave Williams when they will finally have a good performing car. Too optimistic maybe, but dreaming is for free.

3. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 17th November 2013, 22:09

Is it just me, or have Williams been backing the wrong horse in MAL all year, and now have jumped onto supporting BOT?

• toiago (@toiago) said on 17th November 2013, 22:12

It may very well be the case. Especially now given that Maldonado decided to leave the team, there’s no point in supporting him as much as the one driver who’ll be retained for the next season.

4. PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 17th November 2013, 22:11

Same points for Williams now as 2011, with Mal with 1 point, and his teammate with 4.

5. spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 17th November 2013, 22:16

Yay! Great for him! I was wary of the return of Rosberg in the end but he held his position, well deserved!

6. Jake (@jleigh) said on 17th November 2013, 22:24

One wonders wether there are other teams also losing performance through their coanda exhausts.

• James (@speedking84) said on 17th November 2013, 23:11

I don’t think the coanda exhaust neccessarily loses performance, in the case of Williams, Bottas said the car gave him more confidence and a better balance without the coanda exhaust. If you can drive a car with a coanda exhaust and adapt your drving style to suit, like Vettel has then there is a lot of performance to be found.

7. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 17th November 2013, 22:48

Go Bottas!

8. dot_com (@dot_com) said on 17th November 2013, 22:52

Bottas!! Great drive, really well deserved. Great pass on the outside of Gutierrez.

9. GuitarGraham said on 17th November 2013, 22:56

Fantastic job by Valtter, ive never been so pleased with an 8th place finish in my life. now that williams have got a driveable car we’re seeing the talent shine through. there will be much more to come from this guy as we move forward.

10. Really happy Bottas finally scored some points. Well done!

11. troutcor said on 17th November 2013, 23:06

Nice photo of the Williams.
    It makes a modern F1 car look good, which is the second-hardest thing to do next to making a modern F1 race interesting.

12. Somethingwittyer (@somethingwittyer) said on 17th November 2013, 23:23

Should be interesting to see how Williams will do next year given that blown diffusers will be out of the equation. They have always struggled with them, so they could be next year’s dark horse if it pans out for them.

13. dutch in sweden (@dutch-in-sweden) said on 18th November 2013, 0:00

Great drive and he showed his cool with that Kimi style overtake of Gutierrez. He will be my driver of the weekend.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 18th November 2013, 2:51

Bottas is my DOTW too. So glad to see the hard work of the team and Bottas starting to pay off. For being a young driver, Bottas has shown a lot of maturity to keep his head down and keep on trying through a difficult season. I was encouraged when Williams signed Bottas, now he’s showing what he can do.

14. George (@george) said on 18th November 2013, 0:27

Solid drive from Bottas, the only disappointing thing for me was one overtake he didn’t pull off, think it was against a Toro Rosso down the back straight.

15. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 18th November 2013, 0:54

Obviously more deserving than his counterpart who claimed the team sabotaged his car.

Atrocious.