Rate the race: 2013 United States Grand Prix

2013 United States Grand Prix

Sergio Perez, McLaren, Circuit of the Americas, 2013What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the United States Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 United States Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (5%)
  • 2 (5%)
  • 3 (7%)
  • 4 (11%)
  • 5 (21%)
  • 6 (23%)
  • 7 (17%)
  • 8 (7%)
  • 9 (1%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 608

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 United States Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 United States Grand Prix articles

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

224 comments on Rate the race: 2013 United States Grand Prix

1. AlanBoyo said on 17th November 2013, 21:00

these rubbish tyres are really killing f1, i wont be watching next week.

2. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 17th November 2013, 21:00

Really boring. There were a few good moves and battles (like Bottas at Turn 2 and Alonso picking up a few places), but overall the race lacked any kind of excitement. When the top 5 are all separated by 5 second gaps after ten or something laps, you know there is something wrong.

5/10

3. Strontium (@strontium) said on 17th November 2013, 21:04

A solid 6. I call that ‘solid’ after the last one got 2.

Quite boring but action here and there kept it going for me (unlike Abu Dhabi which I had to turn off)

4. magon4 (@magon4) said on 17th November 2013, 21:06

5. Some good moments but all in all just not good enough. Kudos to Bottas, who had a fantastic weekend, and Grosjean, who beat a Red Bull fair and square.

5. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 17th November 2013, 21:06

I rated this 8. HULK and VET had a good day out. I think HULK made a mistake trying to hold up ALO on the apex of T1, ALO was a little more wise to that move.
    There were overtakes up and down the pack, GRO is feeling mighty in that Lotus, and I think perhaps that he will go from strength to strength next year as #1 at Lotus. Lets see if Lotus has the money to give him a car to contend the season with

6. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 17th November 2013, 21:09

This is not rate the race if Vettel won.

We seen some good attempt of overtaking and kudos to Grosjean for good defending.

7. fangio85 (@fangio85) said on 17th November 2013, 21:10

I vote based on RACING, not based on some pre conception of how I expect a modern f1 race to go. Compared to other forms of motorsport, f1 has become totally irrelevant and boring. Next year better be more exciting or I imagine a large portion of fans will turn off. I know I will

8. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 17th November 2013, 21:13

I gave it a 4, and it was a bit generous, The longest ever season for me since i have been watching F1, now i feel what the other fans felt in 2002/2004

• AlanBoyo said on 17th November 2013, 21:18

At least there was actual racing going on in 2002/2004.
      Yes Ferrari/Schumacher dominated but behind drivers were racing hard, Pushing & overtaking which led to a lot of exciting racing going on.

I’ve been watching F1 for 35 years & because of these crappy tyres & DRS this has been the worse season ever. No real racing, No real & exciting overtaking, Its all been DRS highway passing & tyre management…. Boringly ridiculous!

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 17th November 2013, 21:31

which led to a lot of exciting racing going on.

Not really.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 18th November 2013, 3:49

Well if you find the rushing cars with loud sounds exciting , then for sure . No passing manouvers but still drivers pushed ,which was good to see rather than this coasting and lifting and just a procession of fast cars going at snails pace.

• fangio85 (@fangio85) said on 17th November 2013, 21:32

Absolutely this! I haven’t been watching f1 quite as long as you, but I feel the exact same way. People refer to teams being closer than ever, but forget that its due to regulations being tighter than ever. Wing aero dependency has killed wheel to wheel racing, and the stupid tyres and drs are a daft attempt to fix it, instead of fixing the underlying problem. 2009 reg change was meant to reduce aero wake and bring back wheel to wheel racing, but its gotten worse since and there simply is NO wheel to wheel racing anymore. We see all too often cars closing in at a second or more a lap, only to get within one second and lose downforce, making it impossible to close up anywhere other than a drs zone, and ruining the fragile tyres. When was the last time we saw f1 cars racing “bumper to bumper” or ” wing to wing” as it would be, like you see in ALL other forms of motorsport? I’ll give it one more chance next year, if it doesn’t improve, ill turn off till they get their act together.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 17th November 2013, 21:49

Me too, Boyo. and @fangio85.

• Spot on. DRS and tyre management are doing a lot of damage to this sport. I’ve never felt so frustrated than i do right now and i’m very close to giving up on the sport i’ve obsessed about my whole life. I have a feeling that 2014 might be the last year i watch and if DRS and tyre management is still the name of the game for 2015 then i’m out.

• fangio85 (@fangio85) said on 18th November 2013, 3:25

@tmekt the cars cannot follow each other closely enough due to turbulence, there was no nose to tail type racing, the .001 of a second before a drs pass doesn’t count. When a car is able to follow another nose to tail, hunting for an overtake, like other race series’, it will be exciting. As it stands, and has done for ages, cars cannot follow each other within a few car lengths for long without ruining their front tyres. And, once within a second of the car in front, it becomes a procession, as the following car loses too much front downforce to maintain any advantage that got them that close to begin with.

• fangio85 (@fangio85) said on 18th November 2013, 3:31

I say, two element front wings, narrowed further than the 2014 regs, and much shallower rear wings, coupled with ground effect floors, would produce the racing people want to see. The floors can be heavily restricted to prevent too much downforce, then widen the track width back to 2000mm and widen rear tyres a bit and mechanical grip will play a larger role than aero. If I had the money I’d start a series based on this

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 18th November 2013, 7:10

@AlanBoyo
        It’s not only me then, great to have the same point of view with an old watching fan of this sport, i know that back in 2002/2004 the racing has never been boring like today especially when there was refueling ,V10 engines, right tyres, less aero …….
        The problem is with the people running the sport, i seriously don’t know if they are watching the same races we are watching now

9. Not terribly exiting, but there was some good battles late in the race and a few surprising results.
    The reason I give it a 7, is because I felt the DRS was good. If we have to have it, it should be like this. Giving chances, keeping things going, without the usual free overtakes. I liked that.
    And while I didn’t mind a 1 stop race for once, I felt there was still too much tyre saving going on for a 1 stop race. Then I would rather have a two stop race with a bit more tyre saving, but with the added excitement of the extra pitstop and strategy.

10. As a lifetime fan of F1, I must say that I’m simply bored to death of this sport now and I can only hope that next years huge changes make for interesting racing again. One man’s dominance is merely hiding the truth that the sport has lost all appeal. The tyres use to be so marginal that it made for great races, but now the teams have learnt to manage them which has meant drivers having to pace themselves…this is crazy, this is not an endurance race, this is effectively a sprint. How can Vettel or anything one being told to slow down and manage the tyres be racing, it is complete rubbish. DRS is just pointless, KERS is great, but what F1 need to focus on is preventing the air behind the cars being spoilt to allow close racing…not the usual of a car catching quickly then getting stuck behind because the of dirty air…fix that problem and allow 100% flat out racing and you have F1 back! Oh, and let us have some talent back, sick of paid drivers taking the places of the more deserving (PS – less Helmet Marko too, the arrogant f@@@)

11. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 17th November 2013, 21:22

Welcome to Formula tire saving where the you can breeze past the driver ahead at the push of a button.

2/10

12. Jack (@jmc200) said on 17th November 2013, 21:27

Not much action, the action there was, was brilliant, real skill and balls being used! Even if next year’s cars are ugly again, I’m looking forward to it more now!

13. ferrox glideh (@ferrox-glideh) said on 17th November 2013, 21:29

Great passing moves by Bottas and Hulk through the rattlesnake esses, solid defensive work by Grosjean, and near perfection by Vettel (his lap to lap consistency is outstanding). On top of that, what a track! Just the cure for Yawn Marina. 7 out of 10.

14. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 17th November 2013, 21:45

I hope everyone else enjoyed the fruits of “real” racing this weekend with conservative tires we had. Because I didn’t.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 17th November 2013, 22:01

@tmekt, you obviously have never seen real nose to tail F1 racing or you would know what is missing, regarding the tyres; as explained above the attempt to get more close racing by reducing the size of the rear wing has failed miserably because the remaining turbulence doesn’t just slow down the following car it destroys their crappy tyres! The one policy was totally destroyed by the other policy.

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 17th November 2013, 22:30

@hohum

you obviously have never seen real nose to tail F1 racing

You may very well be right as I’ve only watched the sport on a more regular basis since 2002-2003. And I was a kid back then but, strangely enough, I don’t feel nostalgic at all.

Call me crazy but to me it seems important that the sport tries to create itself again all the time, even with the risk of failing miserably. Eventually all the old purists die and if the sport doesn’t change along with new audiences, it will die too. Just look at what happened to Kodak, IBM, or Nokia, for example.

15. PaxJes (@paxjes) said on 17th November 2013, 21:52

when i want to see racing i watch the BTCC
    when i want to cure my insomnia i watch F1