Sutil unhappy with another Maldonado incident

2013 United States Grand Prix

Adrian Sutil, Force India, Circuit of the Americas, 2013Adrian Sutil said his race-ending collision with Pastor Maldonado on lap one was not the first time the Williams driver has caused such an accident.

“We have many incidents with this driver and for sure maybe you have to have an emergency area around him to avoid this kind of things,” Sutil told reporters after the race.

“It’s always hard to say whose fault is it but I was on my line and I didn’t do any crazy moves or so,” Sutil explained.

“There was a lot of space on the left, lot of space on the right. Again, I don’t understand why someone is so close to a car and then actually hit you.

“It’s not that we were side by side it was probably with his right-front tyre on my left-rear axle and just touch it. It was a little touch but at 300 [kph] you don’t want to have that thing and I spun. I lost my race because of that.”

Maldonado blamed Sutil for the collision, saying: “On the first lap I was on the inside and he crossed a bit my line.”

“He did a big crash, was quite risky, but it’s racing, you know, sometimes can happen, especially when you are recovering places.”

Sutil said the crash was a disappointing end to a weekend which started to go wrong during qualifying.

“Friday, Saturday morning it all looked really good. It was a long time that we were actually that strong Friday and Saturday practice. in the top ten.

“And then qualifying, my brake failure the first little hit and I couldn’t make it into Q2 for that problem. We fixed the brakes, we had a good car I believe for the race and good start, made up some positions.

“But then for some reason I got hit on a straight from Maldonado on my left-rear tyre and I just lost control completely. He spun me around and I crashed into the barrier which is a shame because it’s a very wide track here and no reason to actually collide on a straight line.”

2013 United States Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 United States Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Force India

26 comments on Sutil unhappy with another Maldonado incident

1. BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th November 2013, 22:22

Maldonado also blaimed the FI driver in Spa, didn’t he?

The funny part is that those first paragraphs actually seem eerily similar to what Trulli had to say about Sutil right before he pulled out his now infamous pictures!

2. toiago (@toiago) said on 17th November 2013, 22:24

Can’t really decide who was at fault in this incident. How could I or anyone else? The director didn’t even bother to show an onboard replay of it…

• foleyger (@foleyger) said on 17th November 2013, 22:24

agreed. It is hard to judge

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 18th November 2013, 16:07

Agree. I thought it looked like Maldonado turned into Sutil but it was from such a poor angle that you can’t really tell.

They might not have had onboards. I read here recently that they only have 16 (?) channels available at any time so they probably cover the top 10 at all times, which means they can only have half of the remainder of the field. I agree though that there should have been one of the two cars involved or one of the cars following them, which would have had a camera available.

• Strontium (@strontium) said on 18th November 2013, 17:01

The director was useless.

Wheel to wheel Alonso and Hulkenberg got cut off to watch Ricciardo through turn 1.

3. Jungmeister said on 17th November 2013, 22:54

To me it sounds like he doesn’t care. He doesn’t respect his rivals and always blames everybody but himself and then goes on to claim he isn’t going to change anything because this is his style….. A rather poor driver imho.

4. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 17th November 2013, 23:11

It looked like they bashed wheels and that Sutil was bounced into the barrier, still the director decided not to show us a proper onboard view so it’s difficult to tell what really happen let alone blame anyone.

5. By the looks of the angle we were given I’d say it was Sutil’s fault.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 18th November 2013, 0:10

@vettel1 – From what we saw, I would have to agree. No love lost for Maldonado, but fair is fair. He has had plenty of obvious incidents that were clearly his fault, Spa for example. It looked like Sutil just didn’t see him and they came together while Maldonado was pretty much holding his line. I would be willing to change my opinion given further information like decent on board views.

• George (@george) said on 18th November 2013, 0:30

@vettel1 Yeah looked to me like Sutil came across

• Beto (@chebeto0) said on 18th November 2013, 9:53

@vettel1 I also think Sutil was t fault this time, though it’s hard to say. But I believe Sutil’s comments are more against the competition in the driver market than against the driver that “made him crash”.

6. James_mc (@james_mc) said on 17th November 2013, 23:50

But it’s racing

Makes me inclined to think that he is at fault as he’s used this statement in the past in incidents which he should have been assigned significant (if not all) culpability for.

7. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 17th November 2013, 23:51

Considering the straight isn’t really straight and it goes to the right a bit, and the lame footage we got from the incident, it seemed as if Sutil didn’t follow the curvature of the straight and didn’t/couldn’t see Maldonado on his left.

It looked like Sutil’s fault, but who knows, really… I LOL’ed when the guys at Sky said it was the first first lap retirement for Sutil since Brazil 2009 and I remembered that incident with Trulli that went on for weeks :P.

8. Adrian Sutil said his race-ending collision with Pastor Maldonado on lap one was not the first time the Williams driver has caused such an accident.

The wording seems to imply a degree of certainty that Maldonado was at fault, which I don’t think is a fair assessment of the situation unless you have some other camera angles to judge that.

9. Christian (@nightingale) said on 18th November 2013, 0:13

Maybe Pastor just wanted to #FeelTheForce ;)

10. To me it looked like Sutil was a fault. He has loads of room and should have carried on following the “straight” round to the right. A clumsy mistake and unfair to bring up the “Maldonardo” excuse in my opinion. A lazy cheap shot similar to a lot of what was going on with Grojean last year.

Maldonaro didnt go himself any favours in the media this weekend either though.