Lucas di Grassi gives Formula E car its first test

Formula E

The FIA’s plans for an all-electric racing series came a step closer to reality when Lucas di Grassi drove the car at a test in France.

The former F1 racer completed 40 laps of the La Ferte Gaucher circuit in a Spark-Renault SRT_01E last Wednesday.

Di Grassi only had a quarter of the car’s intended power output available as it was fitted with a 50kW battery compared to the 200kw (approximately 270bhp) the final car will have.

“I can assure all the drivers will have a lot of fun with this car,” said Di Grassi after the test. “Even with just a quarter of the power, it has quite a lot of grip and the electric motor produces huge torque.”

The inaugural Formula E championship will begin in Beijing next September and will race in nine further cities in its first year. Super Aguri, Andretti Autosport, Audi Sport Abt and a team backed by DAMS and Alain Prost are among the confirmed teams.

First Formula E test in pictures

Formula E

Browse all Formula E articles

Images ?é?® Formula E

55 comments on Lucas di Grassi gives Formula E car its first test

1. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 21st November 2013, 13:33

Does anyone else say it “Formula-r-E”?

2. TMF (@tmf42) said on 21st November 2013, 13:41

I’m really interested in that series from a technological pov and if I’ve the possibility to watch it then I’ll definitely give it a try.

3. Prof Kirk (@prof-kirk) said on 21st November 2013, 14:05

Really excited about this series.

Anybody else reminded of ‘real’ rc cars? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2jdiw2XUtM

4. Alex Brown (@splittimes) said on 21st November 2013, 14:45

I would have liked to see a more open formula, leaving room for hydrogen fuel cells and fish-finger power. Real manufacturer involvement would really validate the whole thing, as well. I’m hazy on the details of the powertrain’s origin. Has it been developed by a single manufacturer (or consortium) as a spec part? If so, that’s not going to spark the kind of development war that helps new technology trickle down to road cars, where its really needed.

Still not excited, though. PR chaps: put the Stig in it. Everyone always seems to like that.

5. Roald (@roald) said on 21st November 2013, 15:32

Looks better than modern F1 cars do!

6. Maciek (@maciek) said on 21st November 2013, 15:36

I like the sound actually, just hate that front wing.

7. Steve C said on 21st November 2013, 16:14

If there was ever a car fit for a city it would be Formula E and Austin, Texas. The anti- combustion engine nuts here in Austin would love to see this.

I hope it works out…

8. The drivers will experience a whopping 1.5 G’s in these mean machines.

9. Todfod (@todfod) said on 21st November 2013, 17:36

Sounds like a giant remote controlled car

10. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 21st November 2013, 18:04

What’s its top speed?

11. I think this video proves how bad the big rims look in such small wheelbase cars, I still don’t know how good they look on longer wheelbase cars like the F1, the indy though looks horrendous. I kind of like the E cars, I’m looking foward to watching some races in full KW!!

12. sato113 (@sato113) said on 21st November 2013, 19:21

looks great! sounds sh…

13. Broc Smith (@strifeforce) said on 21st November 2013, 20:21

I don’t see this becoming the next Formula One by any means, but i am very happy to see it come together and i hope it works out. Just look at all of the creations that have came out of an F1 paddock over the years…if Formula E can do 1/4 of that, just look at all of the electrical development that will follow. Stronger battery tech, electric motor tech, increasing EV range, it’s pretty cool. Who knows, the car you buy in ten or fifteen years may have tech that came from a Formula E team.

14. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 21st November 2013, 21:30

I’m actually really looking forward to this series. Whether the racing will be good is yet to be seen, though I am confident, but I’m more interested in how technology will advance thanks to this series’ success. What will be intriguing is when they have a few seasons under their belt and start to open up the regulations, which could lead to some fantastic developments.

15. Alex Mansilla said on 21st November 2013, 23:34