Hamilton says radio messages were “misconstrued”

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Yas Marina, 2013In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton says stories about his team radio messages during the United States Grand Prix were exaggerated.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Lewis frustrated by reports (Sky)

“It can be really massively misconstrued. It’s a bit frustrating to see all the stories out about it.”

Vettel says he has learned a lot from Webber (Reuters)

“Surely the fact that he will not be around next year will be a loss for the team, a loss for myself because it has always been a huge challenge. I’ve learned a lot from him, and I can stand up straight and say that there were many, many times and many places where I benefited from him.”

Webber bows out with pride and a touch of sadness (The Telegraph)

“To manage the whole scenario hasn?t been super easy for the team. We were in uncharted waters in 2010. ‘F—, we?re going for our first title. Holy s—, how do we do it? Let them both go at it maybe? Oh no, maybe not…'”

Blocked duct caused Kovalainen issue (Autosport)

“We had debris in the brake duct and that is where I was losing the performance. It is a similar issue that Kimi [Raikkonen] had at Spa.”

Swedish racing driver Marcus Ericsson is wanted by F1 team Caterham (BBC)

“Caterham are considering Swedish novice Marcus Ericsson as one of their drivers in Formula One next season.”

Hulkenberg could drop out of F1 (ESPN)

“It is not just the situation that I’m waiting for Lotus and for Quantum, that’s not the truth. It’s a matter of getting everything together and negotiating the right deal with the teams which are in the hunt. The Lotus situation has been around for weeks and it’s an on-going process on the side but it’s not like I am waiting every day for a call from them or something.”

Jenson Button relishing winter work after McLaren’s miserable season (The Guardian)

“Getting [Daniel] Ricciardo around the outside of turn one, that’s what I feel I’m born to do. Hopefully that’s never going to go away but it’s got to come to an end at some point.”

F1 Reglement 2014: Die gro??e Revolution im Video (Auto Motor und Sport, German)

Video showing how next year’s designs might look.

How Formula 1 turns 3D printing, big data and crappy bandwidth into sport (Gigaom)

“It seems that while the cars can achieve speeds of 200 miles per hour, the Lotus F1 team has to endure a data rate of just 10 Mbps feeding the servers and exporting that data at the track. That?s right, your broadband is probably faster than what these guys buy at the track.”

I was there when… 2008 Brazilian GP (MotorSport)

“With two laps remaining, the German passed the McLaren… and handed a crucial advantage to Massa. ‘I didn?t know what position I was in,’ Vettel said, ‘and had no idea I might be influencing the championship.'”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Several people believe adding a second DRS zone at Interlagos is unnecessary:

Last year, Alonso and Hulkenberg picked up a tow from the last corner down to turn one, where Alonso made two overtaking moves, and Hulkenberg crashed into Lewis Hamilton. In the pass we saw that even though with out DRS, overtaking can still be done here. Schumacher in 2006 proved that a lot.
@Krichelle

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Clare Msj, Dane, Rachel and Richard!

On this day in F1

Four years ago today Jose Maria Lopez emerged as a likely driver for ill-fated 2010 entrant US F1. Sadly the team never materialised and Lopez never made his F1 debut:

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

67 comments on Hamilton says radio messages were “misconstrued”

1. Jaanus (@jaanusl) said on 22nd November 2013, 8:26

Coming from northern part of Europe. I look forward of seeing people from around the area in F1. 2014 at least 2 Finns, one Dane and now (maybe) a Swede also.

2. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 22nd November 2013, 9:25

Vettel says he has learned a lot from Webber

Like how not to start an F1 car?

3. spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 22nd November 2013, 9:33

I’d be hugely disgusted if Hulkenberg had to be dropped in favor of those crap pay drivers that are Perez and Maldonado.

4. Jack (@jmc200) said on 22nd November 2013, 11:27

Lotus should give up on that con-man and take Maldonado. The more I read, the more this fake deal stinks, he’s promising more and more to keep them on side, but delivering nothing. I never thought I’d say that but honestly we need Lotus to be in F1, their debts are huge. Hulkenberg will be in a Ferrari one day, his main objective is to stay on the grid.

5. coefficient (@coefficient) said on 22nd November 2013, 12:26

Don’t know about Button and Magnusson battling over one seat next year. Odds are on Button staying put in 2015 imho because a: If he thrashes Magnusson the team will want to keep him and b: If Magnusson thrashes Button the team will have to keep Button alongside him because Alonso won’t come back and risk a repeat of 2007 at the hands of the young Dane.

6. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 22nd November 2013, 13:14

I dont how Lewis behave at work, but on these radio exchanges he does sound a bit like a diva. Also the language he uses it seems that he is a bit like a rich kid who wants to be “gangsta”. Both of which are a bit pathetic to be honest.

7. N7 (@m77) said on 22nd November 2013, 13:40

Just some thoughts on the driver/team situation, especially from the viewpoint of whoever ends up alongside Sutil at Force India…

1. Lotus’ financial woes don’t exactly bode well for the dawn of a new set of regulations. If engineering departments and R&D budgets have taken a hit then chances are perhaps they won’t maintain their current competitiveness into next year.

2. I hear that Mercedes HPP sound a lot more confident than Ferrari and Renault with regard to their engine next year. Couple this with Hamilton, who was happy enough jumping ship from McLaren, and Williams, who were pretty quick to swap 2014 engine supply to Mercedes, and signs point to a pretty decent powerplant…

3. Lower power outputs will reduce ultimate downforce figures. From memory Force India have always faired a little better at low downforce circuits, so perhaps next year will play to their strengths a little bit more than now?

I’m not suggesting that Force India are poised to jump to the sharp end of the grid, just that I wouldn’t be too upset if I was Hulkenburg or Perez and I wound up at Force India. I couldn’t also be proven completely wrong!

8. Juan Pablo Heidfeld (@juan-pablo-heidfeld-1) said on 22nd November 2013, 13:59

I think a certain Mr Montoya proved that you can overtake here back in 2001 :p

9. Jason (@jason12) said on 22nd November 2013, 17:18

Yea Lewis it’s tough to have people just waiting for the slightest excuse to crusify you.