Alonso apologises to team after missing front row

2013 Brazilian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Interlagos, 2013Fernando Alonso said he should have qualified on the front row of the grid for the Brazilian Grand Prix but he made a mistake on his fastest lap.

The Ferrari driver admitted to “mixed feelings” after taking third on the grid – his highest starting position since the Bahrain Grand Prix – in a rain-hit qualifying session.

“I’m happy to be so up on the grid, finally, because we start between seventh and tenth in the last five or six grands prix which is not ideal,” said Alonso. “So being in the first three is good.”

“But not totally happy with my lap. I lost a lot of time. Not obviously to beat Seb, he’s too far in front of us, but I think for second place was not difficult.

“I lost something like seven or eight tenths in turn four running off the circuit in the paint area and losing a lot of time there.

“I think second could be possible but obviously not sad with third and all the opportunities for us in tomorrow’s race starting up at the front.”

Alonso said “sorry” to his team on the radio after the end of qualifying. Race engineer Andrea Stella replied: “I don’t think you ever have to say ‘sorry’ to us.”

2013 Brazilian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

32 comments on Alonso apologises to team after missing front row

1. andae23 (@andae23) said on 23rd November 2013, 18:41

Sadly this also means he won’t have started from the front row this season. The last time he failed to do so was back in 2001.

2. Stella’s radio message sealed the deal. I was never a fan of Alonso but speaking as a Ferrari fan, the team is very lucky to have a guy like Alonso driving for them, not that Alonso has much of a choice.

• Andrea Stella replied: “I don’t think you ever have to say ‘sorry’ to us, but ‘good bye’ will be good.”

3. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 23rd November 2013, 19:52

Yep, Stella’s reply pretty much sums up the state of affairs at Ferrari…

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 23rd November 2013, 21:29

Have no ideea what’s the REAL state of affairs between SF and ALO, but Ferrari must “pay” some respect to him, no doubt… especially given this year’s car. With what it was mostly the 4th fastest car on the grid… he managed to secure 2nd in the WDC. Could have happened the same thing in the WCC if Massa would have delivered not much more. Unfortunately, Massa doesn’t look like he could help turn things in Ferraris favour tomorrow, no matter if it’ll be a wet or dry race.

4. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 23rd November 2013, 20:37

The horse just isn’t prancing at the moment.

5. So it also brings out the fact that Alonso slips at the most critical moment :(

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 23rd November 2013, 21:35

What’s critical in this race for ALO ??!?! He secured 2nd in the WDC, there’re few (real) chances they can turn things in their favour for 2nd place battle in the WCC, while a victory seems impossible if nothing happens to Vettel. Also, if the race will be dry, I have doubts he’s good for a podium position. So, personally, I really don’t see anything big that could happen to him tomorrow.

6. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 23rd November 2013, 22:29

I think it’s a great sign of maturity from Alonso to be so quick to put his hands up – fair play to him. Andrea Stella’s reply was equally touching – if the subtext for it is because of the failings of Ferrari to make a car to challenge Red Bull in recent seasons.

7. Jono (@me262) said on 23rd November 2013, 22:52

haha massive who cares

8. TheBass (@) said on 23rd November 2013, 23:00

Weird that he chose to apologize for this one and not the other 7-8 (at least) mediocre qualifyings this season.