Massa slams stewards for “unacceptable” penalty

2013 Brazilian Grand Prix

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Interlagos, 2013A furious Felipe Massa condemned the Brazilian Grand Prix stewards for giving him a drive-through penalty during the Brazilian Grand Pix.

Massa was penalised for crossing the white line at the entrance to pit lane during the race, something drivers had been warned about several times over the race weekend.

“I think it’s pretty unacceptable to be honest,” Massa told reporters after the race. “Why I mean a drive-through for this?”

“I’m sure I was not the only car which crossed that line. And I was the only one who got a drive-through for that.

“I didn’t do anything wrong, I didn’t overtake any cars outside of the track.

“But it’s like that, they believe they have all the power, they believe they know everything and normally they doing a lot of things which his not right you know, which is not correct. And it’s a shame.”

Massa said he could have taken fourth place had it not been for the penalty and said team mate Fernando Alonso, who finished third, would have let him by to score a podium finish in his final race for Ferrari.

“The race today would have been in the fourth place and maybe even third, you know, Fernando was maybe going to back off at the end, you know, let me by. The race would have been much better than what it was for the result.”

2003 Brazilian Grand Prix FIA race day pit line rules guidePrior to the race the stewards issued several warnings to drivers about not cutting the white lines at the pit lane entrance on safety grounds. Max Chilton and Esteban Gutierrez were both given reprimands for not obeying the guidance during practice.

Ahead of the race the stewards issued document number 44 including an image (right) showing drivers which line they must not cross during the race. This was referred to in their explanation for Massa’s penalty:

“The driver crossed the white line at pit entry with all four wheels, this line was defined in the race director’s note to teams document 44 as being the track edge.”

Massa ended his final race for Ferrari in seventh place and gave thanks to his team after the race: “[I] also just need to say thank you to everybody who worked together, everybody who gave me the opportunity to race for Ferrari”.

“But also everybody who works in the team you know the engineers, the mechanics, I mean everybody. thank you to everybody I will be around definitely, I’m not going anywhere, I will be around.”

2013 Brazilian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

125 comments on Massa slams stewards for “unacceptable” penalty

1. Boomerang said on 24th November 2013, 20:59

Vettel did the same thing in the last corner of the race! He is glorified as a record breaker and Massa is penalised for the same thing! Outrageous!

2. John H (@john-h) said on 24th November 2013, 21:03

“I didn’t do anything wrong”

Er… yes you did.

3. Question to Keith or anyone else that has better F1 coverage, info, interviews etc.
    Did Massa received the penalty directly or did he get warnings before it (during the race I mean) ? Why Webber got only a warning, a few laps later (after Massa got the penalty) ? If I understood the communication from the pits to Webber, it was something like “don’t do it again, we will not get any more warnings” ?

Thanks.

4. Gert Mio said on 24th November 2013, 21:26

Racetrack positions are decided at Stewarts office and not at track, that’s unacceptable. This is where they should use their heads but they don’t. Nobody else was hurt by his move so why penalize him with that kind of punishment? They could have penalized him with a fee and nobody had complained about it. I mean Lewis ended Bottas race (and that’s pretty much worse), and was equally penalized, so they need to use their heads a little bit more and don’t read everything by the book.

5. Gert Mio said on 24th November 2013, 21:41

F1 is on a ridiculous path with all this enforcement of rules. It hampers true racing and often focusing on contra producing details, it’s gone to far. Let them race about it and sometime crash.

6. Gert Mio said on 24th November 2013, 22:00

I mean they are already driving the safest cars of all time, so don’t regulate every tiny detail that possibly could be a threat to safety. Let them fight for positions on track and the point system will have a
    self regulating effect on driving sooner or later. The issue for Lotus last year with Grosjan was not the safety of others, it was lost points. Lost points means lost money and everbody knows, with no money no racing.

7. Massa got a penalty for nothing! Ridiculous stewarding is ridiculous.

8. Gustavo said on 24th November 2013, 23:54

Didn’t Vettle did the same at the last lap ? Just watch the replay and I see crossing the line …

9. Oblong_Cheese (@oblong_cheese) said on 25th November 2013, 0:05

I saw Vettel cross this line on the last lap. Where is his drive-through penalty?

Inconsistent applications of the rules is making a mockery of the entire stewarding system.

10. d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 25th November 2013, 1:53

I want to know where penalty for that idiot Maldonado is. Did I miss it? Not that it matters, he was rubbish in the race anyway, but to attempt a schumacher chop for 15th place against the second red bull teams second driver……….what a joke. Hes an embarrassment to the sport. Rather than **** the money into the hat of a formula one team; he and Cecotto Jr. should open up a venezuelan oil-money funded bumper cart track for children, but lets hope they dont attempt to teach kids how to drive.

11. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 25th November 2013, 5:51

thankyou for the last 8 years felipe!

12. luigi0824 said on 25th November 2013, 5:57

Vettel did that too before the chequered flag but no action from the FIA!

13. chompiras said on 25th November 2013, 7:27

What was unacceptable was the attitude of Massa crying like a bitch after the team ask him to pass for the pits to take his penalty, good thing he is out of Ferrari next year

14. Yobo01 (@yobo01) said on 25th November 2013, 12:06

While watching the race I was suprised by the penalty to Massa. I read F1Fanatic’s tweet about the pit entry before the race, so I knew that crossing that line was forbidden. Still, I saw him crossing the line only once, I didn’t know that there were warnings, so I was very surprised by the drive through.

But now that I read how it happened I don’t understand why Massa is complaining. He was told not to cross that line more than once, he didn’t listen, he was punished and he still complained! I expect this kind of behaviour from a GP2 driver, not from a guy who has raced in F1 for many years. Very disappointing.

15. Andre W said on 25th November 2013, 14:03

Re Hamilton vs Bottas; see detailed rules below…

When unlapping himself, Bottas created a situation where he immediately became a blue-flag candidate and a hindrance unless he cleared the Mercedes immediately – something that he could not do in the braking zone or on that bend. Any driver un-lapping themselves needs to have the express compliance of the “faster” or leading car to comply with the rules below because as soon as the lapped car is causing an aerodynamic hindrance ahead of the faster car it is liable to comply with a blue flag.
    It is also true in this case that Bottas had what can clearly be seen to be a tyre’s width before being crowded off of the track (see his own black skid-marks) and it can be seen by watching the vid. frame-by-frame that the Mercedes was actually pulling back to the left at the point of impact…

20.5 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.
    20.6 As soon as a car is caught by another car which is about to lap it during the race the driver must allow the faster driver past at the first available opportunity. If the driver who has been caught does not allow the faster driver past, waved blue flags will be shown to indicate that he must allow the following driver to overtake.