Alonso admits frustration at elusive third title

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Circuit of the Americas, 2013In the round-up: Fernando Alonso says he feels it “will be a shame” if he finishes his Formula 1 career with only two world championships to his name.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Fernando Alonso on frustration at Ferrari, Vettel and the future (BBC)

Alonso: ??When one day [Vettel] has a car like the others and he is fourth, fifth, seventh, these four titles will be bad news for him because people will take these four titles even in a worse manner than they are doing now.??

Nico Hulkenberg discusses his future and where he could be in 2014 (Sky)

Hulkenberg: ??I have proved enough on the circuit that I deserve a chance of being here and to be fighting for wins hopefully one day. I love my job, I love Formula 1, obviously I want to be in Formula 1 in the future and I think there is a very realistic and good chance that I will be.??

Mark Webber’s final F1 interview (BBC)

??Mark Webber says it is fitting for him to finish his Formula 1 career on the podium alongside Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso, describing them as the “best drivers of the generation??

Maldonado?s Future To Be Clear Soon, Says Manager Todt (Speed)

Nicolas Todt: ??We are very confident that we will make the right choice. Obviously it?s always nice to know your future before the end of the season. That?s not the case, but I?m sure a decision will be taken very soon.??

Ross Brawn still coy on his Formula 1 future (Sky)

Ross Brawn: ??Let’s see, we will advise people in good time. It’s a pretty exciting year next year so let’s see what happens.??

Christian Horner Q&A: What we?ve achieved is remarkable (F1)

Horner: ??Well, it is the quality of opposition that makes it so rewarding, and yes, what we?ve achieved is in the history books now. If Red Bull Racing doesn?t do anything else, what we?ve achieved is quite remarkable.??

Honda?s F1 engine revealed (Racecar Engineering)

??Honda has revealed intimate details of its RA806E 2.4 litre V8 F1 engine to a group of publications including Racecar Engineering. The engine you see pictured here is V023 which finished 3rd in the 2008 British Grand Prix.??

Nico Rosberg: 2nd in constructor???s and 5th place at Brazil 2013 (Nico Rosberg via YouTube)

Lewis Hamilton Does the School Run (Allianz via YouTube)

Tweets

Comment of the day

With the curtain having closed on Mark Webber’s Formula 1 career yesterday, Fer no.65 reflects on a very personal sporting loss.

For me it?s been a very emotional weekend. I enjoyed this race, but it was more than just the season finale. It was the end of an era for me, personally, a driver I?ve supported since 2007/2008, during my final stages of secondary school and all my university stint (which is still going). It brings back all the memories you have of that period, those long lasting seasons, full of joy and dissapointment aswell. Specially 2010.

It?s fantastic how much your passion turns your mood on and off, and everytime Mark did well, it was all about mondays reading all the articles about it on the newspaper, reading it all, from the press conferences to the team?s press releases. Every timetable, your eyes switch right away to your driver: ??Mark Webber??. And now that?s gone. One doesn?t expect it to last forever, but it?ll be super weird for a while.

I know he wasn?t the best driver on planet, but it?s something you can?t explain. It ends on high, tho, and that?s good. Thank you so so much, Mark ! You were part of the reason why I woke up early every sunday for the race.
Fer no.65

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Matt Aitch, Sozavele and Swapnil Aman!

On this day in F1

Sebastian Vettel won the drivers’ championship for the third year in a row after a thrilling Brazilian Grand Prix on this day last year.

98 comments on Alonso admits frustration at elusive third title

1. Prarag Chopra (@prarag-chopra) said on 25th November 2013, 5:23

Christian Horner looks like the exorcist (Patrick Wilson) in the movie The Conjuring :)

2. Sumedh said on 25th November 2013, 5:29

I just realized, since 2007, all of Alonso’s teammates have not raced in the immediately previous race before partnering Alonso. Hamilton, Nelson Piquet Jr, Grosjean were all debutants. Massa didn’t race the 2nd half of 2009 due to his crash. Kimi didn’t race the last two races of 2013 before partnering Kimi in 2014.

3. BasCB (@bascb) said on 25th November 2013, 8:25

So today it seems that both Hulkenberg and Perez will be up against eachother in a Force India, Sutil if off to Sauber and Maldonado will have a lotus to wreck next year. I wonder whether this will still be true in the afternoon though, because the silly season is very volatile this year!

4. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 25th November 2013, 11:01

I want to like Alonso… I really do… he just seems so full of sour grapes all the time.

He needs a hug.

5. TheBass (@) said on 25th November 2013, 14:48

My oh my, so much bitterness coming from Alonso. He hasn’t taken the defeat too well.

6. BumbleBee said on 26th November 2013, 0:19

I have to say that this term “greatness” is being inaccurately synchronised with wining the WDC. I agree that to win the WDC you need the best or equal best car, pretty much always have done. But in my view “greatness” is defied in what happens in none wdc years like Schumacher in 97 and 98 or alonso last year. The dogged determination to drag a none wdc car into contention. To be fair to Vettel he hasn’t had the opportunity to do that yet because he’s so dominant in the red bull. That’s not his fault but surely no on can say that alo or Hamilton, raikkonen or maybe even rosberg would have failed to win the title in the RBR. Time will tell how good Vettel is but what I think alonso was saying us that although no one can take away vettels titles, they will be contextualised by what happens in his later in his career . if he gets a nearly car and makes it fight for a title like alo last year then Vettel sceptics will reevaluate these four years and say ok he’s special. However if Vettel gets a nearly car and is average then people may conclude that he only won because he had the best car. Which is why alonso says the four titles would be bad news for him. The act is that at the end of the day Vettel is a four times wdc and that’s all history will record. But for those of us who have lived this era just like the Schumacher era before it,we will each have our own point of view

• Deb Luhi (@debeluhi) said on 26th November 2013, 1:51

Your statement “no on can say that alo or Hamilton, raikkonen or maybe even rosberg would have failed to win the title in the RBR.” is correct and I believe that any one of the mentioned drivers, and probably some more (Gro, Hulk…) would be able to win in RB. But there is a hypothetical question that no one seems to ask: Would’ve Vettel won the 2010 and 2012 championships if he drove for Ferrari?

• @BumbleBee

Finally a brilliant post – lucid, rational and mature.