Maldonado confirmed at Lotus in 2014

2014 F1 season

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Interlagos, 2013Pastor Maldonado will drive for Lotus in 2014, the team has confirmed.

The Venezuelan driver, who spent his first three seasons in F1 with Williams, will partner Romain Grosjean at the team next year.

Maldonado said his move to Lotus is “fantastic opportunity”.

“It’s no secret that I have wanted a change of scene to help push on with my Formula One career and Lotus F1 Team offered the very best opportunity for me to be competitive next season.”

“It is with great pleasure that we can formally confirm that Romain Grosjean will continue with Lotus F1 Team next season,” said team princpal Eric Boullier.

“He has really made the most of his tremendous talent over the latter part of the 2013 season and will be a fantastic asset to our 2014 challenge.”

“Romain will be joined by Pastor Maldonado; a driver I have known since he drove for me at DAMS in the 2005 World Series by Renault season,” he added.

“We have been working on our new car in alignment with the new regulations for over two years and we are confident that we have a very good solution to all the challenges ahead. With Romain and Pastor I believe Lotus F1 Team will be able to cause quite a few surprises next year.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image © Williams/LAT

305 comments on Maldonado confirmed at Lotus in 2014

1. The Blade Runner (@thebladerunner) said on 29th November 2013, 16:34

From the increased number of Lotus shirts I’ve seen at races this year the “Kimi Factor” really had a positive effect.

What now for Lotus? This would appear to strongly confirm their money issues and is probably the most negative signing any team could make unless Kim Jong-un decided to enter the sport!

2. Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 29th November 2013, 16:42

Here’s what you get if you read between the lines:

This one’s probably as read.

= ‘He didn’t start too well but pulled his socks up in the second half. It had better be 2nd part of 2013 Grosjean who turns up next year or we’re stuffed.’

…’where he spent half his time throwing his car at walls and passing traffic and was banned for much of the season for crippling a marshal at Monaco.’

“It is clear that Pastor has pace and potential – demonstrated by his 2010 GP2 Series title success and then through strong races throughout his career at Williams F1 Team – and we are convinced that we will be able to provide the correct environment to enable him to flourish regularly on track.”

‘correct environment’ being Grosjean’s psychiatrist, presumably.

‘Apologies in advance to our fellow competitors, marshals and Bernd Maylander.’

3. Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 29th November 2013, 16:43

So next step is Hülkenberg to confirm at Force India? Then Sutil at Sauber?

4. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 29th November 2013, 16:45

Would Lotus “sabotage” his car?

5. I’m not impressed with their choice but I understand why they did it. Grosjean had one hell of a reputation til recently now he’s improved a lot this year. Maybe we should give Maldonado a chance. But I’m sure Mark Webber is relieved he quit when he did!

6. Somethingwittyer (@somethingwittyer) said on 29th November 2013, 16:51

My least favorite driver with my favorite team. (sigh). We knew it was coming, but it doesn’t make it any less painful. I was kind of hoping Perez was going to come over (money and talent), but I guess by the time he was released the deal with Maldonado was pretty much finalized. I’ll still cheer for Enstone and Grosjean (what can I say, I’m an American and can’t help but root for the underdog), but it really speaks volumes when a front running team has to end up hiring a driver for their money rather then their talent. Here’s hoping at the very least Enstone doesn’t end up moving back to the mid-field next year.

7. Shomir (@shomir) said on 29th November 2013, 16:51

There is a chance that Maldonado improves radically just like Grosjean, so we may be looking at a very good driver line up for next year provided the car is fast and suits the drivers

8. Vic (@hendrix666) said on 29th November 2013, 16:54

Like most of you I’d rather have seen Nico get the drive. But I will look forward to see if Pastor stays a zero or becomes a hero now that he potentially has a podium/winning car.

However, this quote:

is of great interest. If they really have been working on 2014 car for that long, they could be in a good position. But like everything in F1, time will tell. Just another reason to await what 2014 holds in store for my entertainment/interest!

9. Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 29th November 2013, 16:54

say what ?!?!

10. nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 29th November 2013, 16:56

Now the 2014 drivers market will finally unlock.

11. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 29th November 2013, 16:58

So hulkenberg and Perez to FI and Sutil (why?) to Sauber. Bye bye Paul di besta.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 29th November 2013, 17:25

@full-throttle-f1 I think Sutil was always going to be kicked after there arose possibilities of Hulkenberg to sign . But now , with Perez’s backing they can ditch Sutil and bring Perez which would be quite a strong lineup for a midfield team .Sutil has only one other team to turn to . I seriously now want FI to beat Lotus in the long term . Feeling gutted for the hulk.

• Jaanus (@jaanusl) said on 29th November 2013, 17:53

Interesting that there aren`t any rumors about Perez moving back to Sauber. Or are there?
      Guti staying = 2 Mexicans + continued sponsorship from Telmex.

But let`s wait and see.

• Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 29th November 2013, 20:47

I suspect Telmex have a set amount of sponsorship cash per team. They’re not going to want to double up for one team; what if they’re at the back not getting enough TV coverage? If Perez is going to Sauber it would be in place of Guti; if Perez is going to FI they can hedge their bets.

12. f1alex (@f1alex) said on 29th November 2013, 16:58

no, No, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously though. What are they thinking? If this was 2012 we’d be joking about Eric Boullier’s carbonfibre bill by now.

13. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 29th November 2013, 16:59

big shame for hulkenberg, i just hope he doesnt go back to force india, hulkenberg switches seats every year, he needs to stay at sauber and gain some experience of growing and building in a team, swapping seats every year cant be helpful

14. Lost a lot of respect for Maldanado, Lotus and F1 in general. Now with this mandatory 2 stops thing, it gets worse. Lost alot of respect for f1 today