Maldonado confirmed at Lotus in 2014

2014 F1 season

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Interlagos, 2013Pastor Maldonado will drive for Lotus in 2014, the team has confirmed.

The Venezuelan driver, who spent his first three seasons in F1 with Williams, will partner Romain Grosjean at the team next year.

Maldonado said his move to Lotus is “fantastic opportunity”.

“It’s no secret that I have wanted a change of scene to help push on with my Formula One career and Lotus F1 Team offered the very best opportunity for me to be competitive next season.”

“It is with great pleasure that we can formally confirm that Romain Grosjean will continue with Lotus F1 Team next season,” said team princpal Eric Boullier.

“He has really made the most of his tremendous talent over the latter part of the 2013 season and will be a fantastic asset to our 2014 challenge.”

“Romain will be joined by Pastor Maldonado; a driver I have known since he drove for me at DAMS in the 2005 World Series by Renault season,” he added.

“It is clear that Pastor has pace and potential – demonstrated by his 2010 GP2 Series title success and then through strong races throughout his career at Williams F1 Team – and we are convinced that we will be able to provide the correct environment to enable him to flourish regularly on track.

“We have been working on our new car in alignment with the new regulations for over two years and we are confident that we have a very good solution to all the challenges ahead. With Romain and Pastor I believe Lotus F1 Team will be able to cause quite a few surprises next year.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image © Williams/LAT

305 comments on Maldonado confirmed at Lotus in 2014

1. Michael Brown (@) said on 29th November 2013, 20:02

F1 really needs to sort its **** out so we don’t have things like this happen.

2. Drvoo (@drvoo) said on 29th November 2013, 20:14

‘Everything is wrong’ – PM

3. Eric (@) said on 29th November 2013, 20:23

Disappointing, but expected.

Now we can only prey he will get off his high horse and improves his anger management…

If not I hope Grosjean will dominate him. Extremely.

4. Anele (@anele-mbethe) said on 29th November 2013, 20:25

that one gp win counts for little considering all the other points he squandered. This will be his fourth full season in F1 and he hasn’t shown any improvement.

5. Barbara Haddock said on 29th November 2013, 20:47

Money can buy you anything regardless of talent, knowledge or experience!

6. Jack (@jmc200) said on 29th November 2013, 22:09

People shouldn’t have a go at Lotus, Quantum are a load of scoundrels and their money was never going to come. Maldonado is rude, ungrateful, unpleasant, arrogant, moronic and feels entitled BUT he has more sponsorship than any other driver. Lotus had to help their finances that have been affected by their overspending, to keep up with the big boys. Last year I was calling for Grosjean’s head but he’s really impressed me with how he’s grown up, Maldonado looks like he never will, and I really hope Grosjean destroys him. Oh and that Hulkenberg will one day get a Ferrari seat!

7. Nooo I did not want to see this. Hulk deserved this. Maybe Maldo is paying Lotus for the same class they put RoGro through in not crashing. My worry is they just “matured” RoGro so why take on another crash masterpiece. My loyalty may now make the same move Kimi made….

8. Broom (@brum55) said on 29th November 2013, 22:25

Maldonado is clearly talented but he is also very spoilt which is shown by the way he treats other drivers & his team – like dirt.

Hope he gets his act together. The sad thing is, he doesn’t have to thanks to his money so he’ll never learn and will blame everyone else when he makes a mistake.

9. Looking on the positive side, a massive opportunity for Grosjean to finally outscore and outqualify his teammate and Lotus is safe, kinda.

Meanwhile, I’m getting ready for a lot of incidents involving car number 8..

10. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 29th November 2013, 22:53

Oh dear. Hulk was the man for that seat but Pa$tor finds his way in. I like Grosjean but Maldonado’s history of using of his car as a weapon makes me think he’s a complete tool and I don’t think I’ll be supporting Lotus next season.

11. mickey18 (@mickey18) said on 29th November 2013, 23:29

I don’t think anyone actually wanted Pastor in that seat over Hulk, but in honesty if it was me I’d have done the same. Hulkenberg brings no cash, while Maldonado is legit made from it, and has proven he can win in a good car. It’s not going to make the difference between 1st and 2nd in the WCC, but both could win races. So go for the one with money.
    Let’s just hope Grosjean destroys him, at least he’s nice guy.

12. I dont want to live on this planet anymore

13. Mark in Florida said on 29th November 2013, 23:51

Hey it’s a bonus to hire Maldonado,just think about it he brings his own paycheck. I am sure that Romain will look like a superstar compared to him,so he will be a clear #1. So therefore Lotus will have satisfied all of their priorities at this time. They will have money,a self paid driver and a clear #1 to lead the team and Maldonado does have flashes of brilliance at times. Lotus situation is the new reality for the smaller team’s. Sometimes it’s not who deserves the drive but who has to get it. Sad but true, sorry Hulkster.

• jimbob (@vuntoosree) said on 30th November 2013, 2:28

exactly how much money will maldo/pdvsa bring into lotus/quantum and more importantly, how long will it prolong lotus’s future in F1? by all reports, maldonado’s money will be swallowed up by the money they owe kimi and wont receive much change after they pay renault for their 2014 engines? I suppose that will see lotus through for anothe 1-2 years…

14. Boxcar Racer (@mojopixel) said on 30th November 2013, 0:09

Maldonado to Lotus wouldn’t be my first choice but I wish him well and hope he gets his act together; however, I really hope Hulkenberg gets the Force India seat and goes on to drive them to have a fantastic season, maybe even help FI beat Lotus. That would be great to watch! :-)

15. dmcobern (@dmcobern) said on 30th November 2013, 0:25

I’m actually kind of happy about this, Maldonado is a good driver.
    I will be very interested in the results he could get in a decent car.

16. Noah (@lotus22) said on 30th November 2013, 1:21

yeah jimbob, now that Maldonado is in a fast car, he can crash into the front-runners and make things interesting

17. Jackal said on 30th November 2013, 1:40

It is so obvious that Lotus has not signed Maldonado by choice, rather they have accepted the fact that in order to get the PDVSA money that they desperately need … they are STUCK with him. What a waste of a good seat.

18. soundscape (@soundscape) said on 30th November 2013, 2:39

Grosjean and Maldonado are team mates? Lotus have invested in an expensive Dodgem car business!

19. Denis 68 said on 30th November 2013, 3:58

Maldonado at Lotus is fantastic news.

They deserve him.