Maldonado confirmed at Lotus in 2014

2014 F1 season

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Interlagos, 2013Pastor Maldonado will drive for Lotus in 2014, the team has confirmed.

The Venezuelan driver, who spent his first three seasons in F1 with Williams, will partner Romain Grosjean at the team next year.

Maldonado said his move to Lotus is “fantastic opportunity”.

“It’s no secret that I have wanted a change of scene to help push on with my Formula One career and Lotus F1 Team offered the very best opportunity for me to be competitive next season.”

“It is with great pleasure that we can formally confirm that Romain Grosjean will continue with Lotus F1 Team next season,” said team princpal Eric Boullier.

“He has really made the most of his tremendous talent over the latter part of the 2013 season and will be a fantastic asset to our 2014 challenge.”

“Romain will be joined by Pastor Maldonado; a driver I have known since he drove for me at DAMS in the 2005 World Series by Renault season,” he added.

“It is clear that Pastor has pace and potential – demonstrated by his 2010 GP2 Series title success and then through strong races throughout his career at Williams F1 Team – and we are convinced that we will be able to provide the correct environment to enable him to flourish regularly on track.

“We have been working on our new car in alignment with the new regulations for over two years and we are confident that we have a very good solution to all the challenges ahead. With Romain and Pastor I believe Lotus F1 Team will be able to cause quite a few surprises next year.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image © Williams/LAT

305 comments on Maldonado confirmed at Lotus in 2014

1. Brian (@bforth) said on 29th November 2013, 19:35

Ahaaaaa, I see what they have in mind when they say they can cause quite a few “surprises” next season. When Grosjean is battling for a strong position, they can expect Maldonado to “accidentally” park in the race leader’s side pod as he’s being lapped. Or bring out the yellow flags because he crashed into someone while trying to access the pitlane.
    It’s like crashgate without the need for intentionally crashing! Brilliant!

2. I’ll reserve my judgement of this decision until I see how Maldonado fares out with Team Enstone. Although, I will say that I’d have preferred The Hulk. But time will tell if this was the correct decision.

3. MarkM (@mpmark) said on 29th November 2013, 19:42

in the end, Maldonado’s money will pretty much cover all the carnage he creates. I wouldn’t’ be surprised if all the money pdvsa gave the team covered his damages. Does anyone have a list of all the crashes and damage he created on his car over the past 3 years? including that wonderful demonstration in his home country lol

he also has a lot to be proud of (passing his team mate for 16th at suzuka) wayda go maldonado!

I look at him like a xbox forza driver in real life, thinks he’s invincible

4. I think it is pretty clear that if Lotus didn’t have money worries they wouldn’t have chosen Maldonado but at least with him signing and more importantly the backing he brings the teams future should be more secure.

Maldonado has won a Grand Prix and most drivers in F1 don’t have that on their CV, but apart from that one weekend his results in F1 have not been very impressive.

Some may argue he hasn’t had the machinery to show his talent but with his win last year he showed that the FW34 wasn’t a bad car and in fact it highlights how poor and inconsistent he was for the rest of 2012.

If he was as good as he thinks he is he would have performed a lot better against his teammates for the last two years.

If Grosjean can carry his form and new found maturity into 2014 he should have the beating of Maldonado.

5. I knew it was coming, but hoping it wasn’t. Very disappointed in lotus and the state of F1 in general.

6. F1 really needs to sort its **** out so we don’t have things like this happen.

7. Drvoo (@drvoo) said on 29th November 2013, 20:14

‘Everything is wrong’ – PM

8. Eric (@) said on 29th November 2013, 20:23

Disappointing, but expected.

Now we can only prey he will get off his high horse and improves his anger management…

If not I hope Grosjean will dominate him. Extremely.

9. Anele (@anele-mbethe) said on 29th November 2013, 20:25

that one gp win counts for little considering all the other points he squandered. This will be his fourth full season in F1 and he hasn’t shown any improvement.

10. Barbara Haddock said on 29th November 2013, 20:47

Money can buy you anything regardless of talent, knowledge or experience!

11. Jack (@jmc200) said on 29th November 2013, 22:09

People shouldn’t have a go at Lotus, Quantum are a load of scoundrels and their money was never going to come. Maldonado is rude, ungrateful, unpleasant, arrogant, moronic and feels entitled BUT he has more sponsorship than any other driver. Lotus had to help their finances that have been affected by their overspending, to keep up with the big boys. Last year I was calling for Grosjean’s head but he’s really impressed me with how he’s grown up, Maldonado looks like he never will, and I really hope Grosjean destroys him. Oh and that Hulkenberg will one day get a Ferrari seat!

12. Nooo I did not want to see this. Hulk deserved this. Maybe Maldo is paying Lotus for the same class they put RoGro through in not crashing. My worry is they just “matured” RoGro so why take on another crash masterpiece. My loyalty may now make the same move Kimi made….

13. Broom (@brum55) said on 29th November 2013, 22:25

Maldonado is clearly talented but he is also very spoilt which is shown by the way he treats other drivers & his team – like dirt.

Hope he gets his act together. The sad thing is, he doesn’t have to thanks to his money so he’ll never learn and will blame everyone else when he makes a mistake.

14. Looking on the positive side, a massive opportunity for Grosjean to finally outscore and outqualify his teammate and Lotus is safe, kinda.

Meanwhile, I’m getting ready for a lot of incidents involving car number 8..

15. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 29th November 2013, 22:53

Oh dear. Hulk was the man for that seat but Pa$tor finds his way in. I like Grosjean but Maldonado’s history of using of his car as a weapon makes me think he’s a complete tool and I don’t think I’ll be supporting Lotus next season.