Maldonado confirmed at Lotus in 2014

2014 F1 season

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Interlagos, 2013Pastor Maldonado will drive for Lotus in 2014, the team has confirmed.

The Venezuelan driver, who spent his first three seasons in F1 with Williams, will partner Romain Grosjean at the team next year.

Maldonado said his move to Lotus is “fantastic opportunity”.

“It?σΤιΌΤδσs no secret that I have wanted a change of scene to help push on with my Formula One career and Lotus F1 Team offered the very best opportunity for me to be competitive next season.”

“It is with great pleasure that we can formally confirm that Romain Grosjean will continue with Lotus F1 Team next season,” said team princpal Eric Boullier.

“He has really made the most of his tremendous talent over the latter part of the 2013 season and will be a fantastic asset to our 2014 challenge.”

“Romain will be joined by Pastor Maldonado; a driver I have known since he drove for me at DAMS in the 2005 World Series by Renault season,” he added.

“It is clear that Pastor has pace and potential ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ demonstrated by his 2010 GP2 Series title success and then through strong races throughout his career at Williams F1 Team ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ and we are convinced that we will be able to provide the correct environment to enable him to flourish regularly on track.

“We have been working on our new car in alignment with the new regulations for over two years and we are confident that we have a very good solution to all the challenges ahead. With Romain and Pastor I believe Lotus F1 Team will be able to cause quite a few surprises next year.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?ι?® Williams/LAT

305 comments on Maldonado confirmed at Lotus in 2014

1. mickey18 (@mickey18) said on 29th November 2013, 23:29

I don’t think anyone actually wanted Pastor in that seat over Hulk, but in honesty if it was me I’d have done the same. Hulkenberg brings no cash, while Maldonado is legit made from it, and has proven he can win in a good car. It’s not going to make the difference between 1st and 2nd in the WCC, but both could win races. So go for the one with money.
    Let’s just hope Grosjean destroys him, at least he’s nice guy.

2. I dont want to live on this planet anymore

3. Mark in Florida said on 29th November 2013, 23:51

Hey it’s a bonus to hire Maldonado,just think about it he brings his own paycheck. I am sure that Romain will look like a superstar compared to him,so he will be a clear #1. So therefore Lotus will have satisfied all of their priorities at this time. They will have money,a self paid driver and a clear #1 to lead the team and Maldonado does have flashes of brilliance at times. Lotus situation is the new reality for the smaller team’s. Sometimes it’s not who deserves the drive but who has to get it. Sad but true, sorry Hulkster.

• jimbob (@vuntoosree) said on 30th November 2013, 2:28

exactly how much money will maldo/pdvsa bring into lotus/quantum and more importantly, how long will it prolong lotus’s future in F1? by all reports, maldonado’s money will be swallowed up by the money they owe kimi and wont receive much change after they pay renault for their 2014 engines? I suppose that will see lotus through for anothe 1-2 years…

4. Boxcar Racer (@mojopixel) said on 30th November 2013, 0:09

Maldonado to Lotus wouldn’t be my first choice but I wish him well and hope he gets his act together; however, I really hope Hulkenberg gets the Force India seat and goes on to drive them to have a fantastic season, maybe even help FI beat Lotus. That would be great to watch! :-)

5. dmcobern (@dmcobern) said on 30th November 2013, 0:25

I’m actually kind of happy about this, Maldonado is a good driver.
    I will be very interested in the results he could get in a decent car.

6. Noah (@lotus22) said on 30th November 2013, 1:21

yeah jimbob, now that Maldonado is in a fast car, he can crash into the front-runners and make things interesting

7. Jackal said on 30th November 2013, 1:40

It is so obvious that Lotus has not signed Maldonado by choice, rather they have accepted the fact that in order to get the PDVSA money that they desperately need … they are STUCK with him. What a waste of a good seat.

8. soundscape (@soundscape) said on 30th November 2013, 2:39

Grosjean and Maldonado are team mates? Lotus have invested in an expensive Dodgem car business!

9. Denis 68 said on 30th November 2013, 3:58

Maldonado at Lotus is fantastic news.

They deserve him.

10. mixwell (@mixwell) said on 30th November 2013, 5:41

one word – meh

11. bharat (@bharat141) said on 30th November 2013, 6:07

i have 2 doubts on this

1. Eric Boullier publicly said that his recommendation to replace kimi is hulk. So how does he look at it now? Can he manage with Pastor?

2. RoGro’s sponsor Total and Pastor’s sponsor PDVSA are in same business. Doesnt this deal effect Lotus’ existing deal with Total?

My opinion is – Lotus are crumbling and this deal says publicly that they accept they are crumbling. Even after finishing 4th in the championship they cannot afford to pay their driver(kimi) then definitely something is wrong with F1

12. Prarag Chopra (@prarag-chopra) said on 30th November 2013, 6:30

Sad day for the sport.

• Prarag Chopra (@prarag-chopra) said on 30th November 2013, 6:41

This fellow was just beaten by a rookie, unleashed loads of crap on his former employer and admitted he’s hot-headed. Yet Lotus chose him over Hulkenberg. He says he has a race win, agreed thats impressive, but the corollary from 2013 season is that anyone, decent enough, in a Williams car would have won the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix and would have scored way higher than the paltry 29 points he scored throughout the 2012 season.

13. Barney said on 30th November 2013, 7:30

OMG I hope this talentless “superstar” won’t go to Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes or McLaren in the future! That would be a disaster!!! I understand that there is a crisis (since forever!!!), but teams cannot go so low, come on!!! There are so many other drivers who are talented and deserve a seat in F1, this is absolutely sad!!!

14. Jason (@jason12) said on 30th November 2013, 7:58

McLaren could’ve taken Hulk, they don’t need the PDVSA money.

15. Christer (@calback) said on 30th November 2013, 9:33

This so bad for the sport. The only advantage I can see is that it may help Lotus survive until (financially) better times.