Vettel’s dominance of Webber shocks Schumacher

2013 F1 season

Sebastian Vettel, Michael Schumacher, Interlagos, 2012Michael Schumacher says he’s glad he doesn’t have Sebastian Vettel for a team mate after the Red Bull driver’s dominant form against team mate Mark Webber.

Schumacher praised Vettel for a “very consistent” season after taking his fourth championship title.

Look at his team mate,” said Schumacher, “that’s your reference point that you’ve got to take”.

“I mean [Vettel] won all those races, 13 this year I think. Mark Webber he won none in the end, if I’m right. That’s pretty shocking. I’m glad I’m not his team mate!”

Vettel equalled Schumacher’s record for scoring the most wins in a single season this year. “I’m really happy for him and if somebody can break all these records then I’d prefer him to be than somebody else,” said Schumacher.

The seven-times champion added he doubts the overhaul of the engine rules next year will lead to a massive shake-up in the competitive order.

“I think you shouldn’t expect too many changes because of the engine,” he said. “Aerodynamics always out-play the engine, it will always be in future.”

“So the better car, the better package in the end will win. Yes if you have two identical package then the better engine might play a difference. We know that Mercedes has always been on the top side on the engine side.”

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty

68 comments on Vettel’s dominance of Webber shocks Schumacher

1. dumb_man (@dumb_man) said on 29th November 2013, 10:19

Have Red Bull confirm that both their drivers had exactly the same car?

2. It’s good to see Schumacher gracious over Vettel’s sometimes quite astounding achievements: you could reason (perhaps fairly) that he wouldn’t be best pleased a driver has come to take his records so soon , such that he may not even have much of an opportunity to bask in his glory after finally retiring.

However, one statistic I think he will have ownership of for the foreseable future is number of race wins: 91 is a long way away, even if Vettel is already at 39.

• mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 29th November 2013, 10:43

I don’t think being second with ‘only’ 7 titles and ‘only’ 91 wins is something Schumi will feel bad about :)

• celeste (@celeste) said on 29th November 2013, 10:44

Is shocking the rithem a driver should have to reach Schumacher´s record. Vettel would have to win an average of 6 races in the next 10 years to beat him

• David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 29th November 2013, 12:07

Considering he won 13 this year and another 13 in 2011 (Is it? It was at least 10), suddenly it seems pretty plausible… of course, RBR will eventually decline one day like Ferrari did in 2005, so it’s just a matter of when RBR will decline (Assuming Vettel doesn’t change teams); that will decide whether or not Vettel can beat Schumi’s record.

• @woshidavid95

and another 13 in 2011 (Is it? It was at least 10)

11 is the number you are looking for :)

I think he will have to. The most championships won in a row by a team (constructors) is 6 by Ferrari: Red Bull have already won 4 in a row.

It’s inconceivable almost Red Bull maintaining that level of performance for long enough to allow Vettel to snatch the record.

Interestingly though, I think this is also a good illustration that Red Bull haven’t been as dominant as many like to believe. He’s only 6 ahead of Schumacher in terms of race wins at this respective stage in their careers (120th races), despite Schumacher only being world champion in two of the 9* seasons he had participated in at that point. http://twitter.com/FansOfSebVettel/status/406479925902733312/photo/1

*incomplete seasons in 1999 (2 rounds competed in) and 1991 (6 rounds competed in).

• Jasmine (@jasmineellaine) said on 1st November 2014, 5:41

without adrian newey and mercedes engines, they will be declining next year

3. It’s only slightly shocking, Seb is currently the best driver out there, in the fastest car. Not to mention Mark is 37 and in his own words, no longer has the drive required. It’s no surprise Mark didn’t get a win, when looked at like this. I don’t know about Schumi, or other F1 fans but I haven’t seen Mark as a true “reference point” for a couple seasons now, no offence to him.

Even at 37 (oldest driver on the grid) he still managed 5 second place finishes this season. Vettel is great etc etc, but I wish Mark was getting more credit for hanging in there so long. I doubt Vettel at 37 will be getting 5 second place finishes in one season

4. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 29th November 2013, 11:03

Since when Mark Webber has been a top driver ??? I don’t think he is even better than Barichello

5. andae23 (@andae23) said on 29th November 2013, 11:44

I don’t know what the context was, but I find this statement appalling. The entire point of Formula 1 from a driver’s point of view is to show you are the best, and what better way to prove it than by beating a great driver in the same machinery?

6. I think Michael is just intimating that if Vettel had been his team mate 10 years ago he may not have had all the wins that he did.

7. Robbie said on 29th November 2013, 12:08

I find MS being disingenuous with his comments, but then that isn’t anything new for him. I highly doubt he is ‘shocked’ that MW didn’t win a race. When he was at Ferrari the team was centered around him and he had RB handing him wins, benefitting from RB obeying team orders, and yet MW had a win stolen from him by SV disobeying a team order and deciding it was more about him than the team…just like MS/Ferrari.

And it’s easy for him to say now that he would not want SV as a teammate, but then he never would have gone up against a WDC, and in fact in order for him to succeed he had to have non-competing teammates by contract at Ferrari.

Do I believe MW, like RB, we’re driving the same car as SV and MS? Sure…but that would be MW driving a car that better suited SV, and RB driving a car built with only MS in mind. Same car sure…just not ‘their’ car. So I reject the notion that MW was the benchmark and SV went above and beyond that, just as it would be silly to suggest that RB was the benchmark at MS/Ferrari.

• uan (@uan) said on 30th November 2013, 0:29

@robbie

“but that would be MW driving a car that better suited SV”

I think China 2012 proved that the car is not designed with particular driver in mind (where the design was moving towards a car that Vettel wan’t liking and Webber was getting better results).

It’d be more accurate to say that Newey designs the fastest car within the formula irrespective of driver preference (but with both drivers giving feedback in different areas), and it just happens that Vettel has a better feel for the car, along with the Pirelli’s.

If Newey built a car that was suited to Webber, it wouldn’t be the fastest car on the grid, regardless of who was driving it.

8. obviously said on 29th November 2013, 12:13

I think it’s quite similar to the situation we had at Ferrari for the last few years. As much as Alonso and Vettel are good, their teammates are equally bad. I don’t doubt that Vettel or Alonso would win a battle against their teammates over the course of the season, but it wouldn’t really be that one sided if they had better someone better sitting in the other car. Both Massa and Webber were not too good in 2010 already, only Webber had much better car so he was able to get a few wins. If you look at it realistically, I think perhaps Alonso was making more of a difference than Vettel did over the course of the last 4 years, but this year I really think Vettel was as good as Alonso. Even Alonso wasn’t perhaps at his best in some of the races this year.

So to sum it up, the gulf is so large not only because Alonso and Vettel are that good, but as much because Massa and Webber are no good any more. Massa is a confidence driver who lost confidence when he realized just how good Alonso is, leading to Ferrari throwing even more emotional support behind their #1, while Webber lost motivation because team was always showing that Vettel is their driver of choice and he simply ran out of motivation to go at it one more time at his age.

9. eljueta said on 29th November 2013, 12:14

Says the man who raced with Barrichello and Irvine. Both of those were hardly validation for his talent. Don’t mean to detract from Vettel here, just that it’s funny coming from Schumacher, he always had “bad” team mates.

10. Michael Schumacher’s dominance over Rubens Barichello was also ‘shocking’ to Rubens.

11. Sam (@) said on 29th November 2013, 12:48

Always surprises me how hard people are towards Webber, Barichello and other famous ‘number 2′ drivers. Most of the time this comes out of just not being happy with the dominance of the number 1 in that particular team.

• Robbie said on 30th November 2013, 13:13

Well when it is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing, and in particular at MS/Ferrari one driver is not to race the other by contract, then yeah I have a big problem with the viewing audience being robbed of racing in the pinnacle of racing. Imagine how much better it would have been when MS was in dominant Ferrari’s if it was like Senna/Prost…you know what car is going to win, pretty much, but you don’t know which driver.

12. Sumedh said on 29th November 2013, 12:54

What Michael has said above is my biggest fear. Mercedes might have the engine with the highest horsepower, but if fuel saving is the name of the game (which it seems to be), this extra horsepower will amount to nothing as Hamilton and Rosberg won’t get to use it without using up too much fuel.

13. Old Lightnin (@lightnin-hopkins) said on 29th November 2013, 15:04

Who do you guys would win the team mate battle over one season between a primed up Schumacher and a primed up Vettel?

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 29th November 2013, 15:10

@lightnin-hopkins
      Schumacher, just. If with “primed up” Schumacher you mean the beast from ’96-98.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 29th November 2013, 15:17

@lightnin-hopkins Hard to tell since we don’t know if Vettel “primed up” yet (most likely not since he’s still 26).

• It is difficult to tell, I think I’ll withhold judgement until next season (where I expect Vettel will have to show a different skillset as I don’t expect Red Bull to be as strong a force). Certainly if both were in as good a car as the RB9 though, I think Seb would be difficult to beat (but certainly not impossible).

• Robbie said on 30th November 2013, 13:21

So far SV has not gone head to head with a WDC, and without doubt MS went out of his way to not face a WDC, and that puts a whole different face on things. I think we don’t know how Seb would do, but we certainly saw how MS did once he had a legitimate competing teammate, who wasn’t even a WDC, namely NR at Merc. I think MS proved to us that he needed a non-competing teammate, so I guess I’d give the nod to SV, although I think he too would show some chinks in the armor if pressured psychologically and physically on the track.

14. According to Giorgio Ascanelli who had worked with both Schumacher at Ferrari and Vettel at Torro Rosso, Vettel is the better driver. Schumacher has to work harder for his success whereas Vettel has more natural talent

15. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 29th November 2013, 20:32

Impressive to see that comparison of the 120 races between both Seb and Schum. It makes you wonder if Seb can achieve 9 titles or more, given that he has 4 now, and that he is 4 years younger than the time when Schum raced 120 times. I mean, even if Vettel has 4 years of bad luck from now on, he can be ready, at 30, to get other 5 titles again. And as I’ve read many times, drivers ar at their best at 30. We are seeing a “true monster in the making” named Sebastian Vettel.