Korea, Mexico and New Jersey dropped as 2014 F1 calendar is confirmed

2014 F1 season

Start, Melbourne, 2013The FIA has confirmed the 2014 F1 calendar will have 19 races instead of the 22 proposed earlier this year.

The proposed races in New Jersey and Mexico have been dropped from the calendar. The Korean Grand Prix, which was first held in 2010, also does not appear on the schedule for next year.

The season begins in Australia with a stand-alone race, followed two weeks later by back-to-back races in Malaysia and Bahrain. This is the first of four back-to-back rounds on the calendar.

Another back-to-back race sees the inaugural Russian Grand Prix take place one week after the Japanese Grand Prix.

Russia is the only new addition to the calendar with Austria returning after a 11-year absence. The Indian Grand Prix has been dropped along with the Korean round, but organisers hope to have the race at the Buddh International circuit back on the 2015 schedule.

Round Race Circuit Date Forum
11 Hungarian Grand Prix Hungaroring July 25 – 27 Forum
12 Belgian Grand Prix Spa-Francorchamps August 22 – 24 Forum
13 Italian Grand Prix Monza September 5 – 7 Forum
14 Singapore Grand Prix Singapore September 19 – 21 Forum
15 Japanese Grand Prix Suzuka October 3 – 5 Forum
16 Russian Grand Prix Sochi October 10 – 12
17 United States Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas October 31 – November 2 Forum
18 Brazilian Grand Prix Interlagos November 7 – 9 Forum
19 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Yas Marina November 21 – 23 Forum

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

96 comments on Korea, Mexico and New Jersey dropped as 2014 F1 calendar is confirmed

1 2 3
  1. Roald (@roald) said on 4th December 2013, 14:46

Terrible end to the season, did Ecclestone miss 2010′s title decider?

2. Ciaran (@walsh-f1) said on 4th December 2013, 14:50

Good enough calendar, though I can’t really understand why there’s a three week gap between Russia and America.

3. Isn’t October 10-12 weekend kind of late for a Russian GP? Even if Sochi is as SW as Russia goes, I still don’t think it’s really the ideal timeline.

4. Slr (@slr) said on 4th December 2013, 14:52

I’m disappointed to see Abu Dhabi ending the season, it has the worst track on the calendar and has produced rubbish races more often than not.

I find it strange that Russia is just a week after Japan considering Sochi is in Western Russia, especially when there’s a three week gap between Russia and the USA races.

5. Glad the Triple header is not there

6. Sam (@) said on 4th December 2013, 14:58

I guess Dubai Dollars have beaten Brazillian Booties to the last spot on the calender.

7. Marcelo said on 4th December 2013, 14:58

Another example of money over quality in F1… Having Yas Marina instead of Interlagos as the finale…

8. Julien (@jlracing) said on 4th December 2013, 15:00

Well finally the F1 calender is going in the right direction.
    2 races less in Asia and 2 European races added.
    In Korea and India the spectators didn’t fill up even half the capicity of the stands.
    The tickets for Austria were sold out after 3 days!
    And although Sotchi is a Tilkedrome. It will always have more ambiance than the ‘in the middle of nowhere’ Korean GP. So definitely an improvement if you ask me. It’s only sad to see that Abu Dhabi will host the final race.

• Sam (@) said on 4th December 2013, 15:01

Add Estoril, Imola and Brands Hatch, drop Abu Dhabi and Bahrein and what a calender we have.

• Not Imola, definitely. It barely produced exciting races.
        It would be better to have two races in Germany or UK. Maybe even the new Indianapolis, it looks much more F1-friendly.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 4th December 2013, 15:48

Bahrain actually produces good racing. Only in 2010 when they used a different layout was it bad.

• BarnstableD (@barnstabled) said on 4th December 2013, 22:58

Brands Hatch would be terrible for modern F1 cars – Imola was never that exciting IMO. I would prefer to see Motorland Aragon and keep Bahrain (hate the politics, like the track).

Estoril I quite like though.

• @ardenflo Estoril is an horrendous venue, Brands is a killer track not in the good way and Bahrain is in fact one of the best layout if not the best in F1 paired with the korean layout which suffers with some of the same problems as Bahrain does, and Imola is nothing special but so isn’t the chinese gp that is almost a carbon copy of the malaysian layout but without the tropical beauty.

• Sam (@) said on 5th December 2013, 7:50

@peartree I like those tracks and would love to see modern cars racing on them. I really don’t like Bahrein.

All I mean is, there are so many great tracks in the world and F1-linked businesses keep building these new ones of which neither driver nor fan is happy about. I just named a few I like but they don’t have to be in Europe for that matter.

I really like Fuji aswell…

• mfreire said on 5th December 2013, 1:54

This may be seen as sacreliege to most people, but there should not be more than 9 European venues on the Formula One calendar. Even 9 European races is pushing it. Any more than that, and F1 is just not a global sport anymore, it’s a European sport that happens to travel around the world. If Formula One, as European a sport as it is, wants to call itself a global sport, then they should be in countries where motorsports as a whole are accepted.

Estoril is not such a bad idea- but it has to be at the expense of another European venue. Brands Hatch is a fantastic venue, but it’s too short for F1 and Bahrain is a country because of the political situation F1 should not go there mainly because the race is funded directly by the Bahraini government, not private investors. And the track itself stinks- one of the worst layouts in the series. It’s not that challenging, its produced mostly boring races and its really only a business investment to get more tourists to come to Bahrain, which I’m sure is a lovely country.

In my opinion, F1 should be racing in places like Argentina, South Africa, Mexico, a popular vacation spot in the Carribean and maybe even a place like Morocco. Ecclestone needs to get rid of the Malaysian race and replace it with the Indian one, and maybe even get Formula One to race on a Roval (a road course inside an oval, combined to make one whole race course) like Daytona in Florida or Fontana in California. Extend or redesign the infield road sections and upgrade those tracks for F1 (if NASCAR had a high-tech facility, that would be good for them). That would be so much better. Even bringing back the French GP at Paul Ricard wouldn’t be such a bad idea and they could use the whole Mistral straight without any chicanes (if that’s allowed), but the market most likely wouldn’t allow for that to happen).

9. Girts (@girts) said on 4th December 2013, 15:01

I really enjoyed watching the Korean Grand Prix this year. The last race in Valencia was very good as well, perhaps it’s a new tradition to throw a party in the house before moving out.

10. TMF (@tmf42) said on 4th December 2013, 15:04

I wanted to go to the Austrian GP next year and found out that it was completely sold out within 48hours – seems the you snooze you lose thing applies here.

11. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 4th December 2013, 15:18

I’m glad to see the Korean GP being dropped.

No disrespect to the genuine Korean fans, but the fact that the Yeongam Circuit never looked even half-finished at any of the races it held just looked awful, in my view.

And at least we can be fairly sure of a very healthy crowd at Austria next year, which is what we want to see at every event.

12. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 4th December 2013, 15:26

That’s a good calendar. I’m looking forward to Austria, Russia and the Bahrain night race. The only complaint is the season finale: Brazil is the perfect setting for that, so seeing Abu Dhabi there is disappointing. I suppose the Nurburgring having its biannual year-off and being replaced by Hockenheim is also disappointing (even though predictable since the sharing began) but that’s just personal opinion as I don’t like the 2002 circuit.

13. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 4th December 2013, 15:26

Absolutely gutted to see Abu Dhabi at the end of the season. Brazil is a fantastic track that promotes close racing and with the constantly changing weather, it’s the perfect track to end the season on. Abu Dhabi is the complete opposite and is comfortably the worst track on the calendar. A great way for F1 to shoot itself in the foot but we’ve seen recently that F1 isn’t particularly bothered about that.

On the other hand, I’m very glad to see Korea removed and it’s a shame to see India lose it’s GP (although I’m not bothered to lose the Buddh Circuit). Whilst lots of countries lacked class and respect by booing and acting like football fans, the Indian fans showed enthusiasm and we’re a credit to their country.

I’m delighted to see Austria back on the calendar as it was always one of my favourites to drive on old F1 games and it’s inclusion means I get to drive it on my PS4! :D Can’t wait!

I do have to say though that the Sochi track looks bloody horrendous from the layout I’ve seen so far. Lots of short straights bookended by slow 90 degree turns. It reminds me of the 2nd half of Abu Dhabi. It’s always hard to judge a track from the plans but it doesn’t look promising…

14. Juan Pablo Heidfeld (@juan-pablo-heidfeld-1) said on 4th December 2013, 15:35

I echo all sentiments against Abu Dhabi as season-ender

15. crr917 (@crr917) said on 4th December 2013, 15:44

India and Korea are gone. 2 wins less for Vettel. Mr. E is doing his best to increase the competition :D

1 2 3