Korea, Mexico and New Jersey dropped as 2014 F1 calendar is confirmed

2014 F1 season

Start, Melbourne, 2013The FIA has confirmed the 2014 F1 calendar will have 19 races instead of the 22 proposed earlier this year.

The proposed races in New Jersey and Mexico have been dropped from the calendar. The Korean Grand Prix, which was first held in 2010, also does not appear on the schedule for next year.

The season begins in Australia with a stand-alone race, followed two weeks later by back-to-back races in Malaysia and Bahrain. This is the first of four back-to-back rounds on the calendar.

Another back-to-back race sees the inaugural Russian Grand Prix take place one week after the Japanese Grand Prix.

Russia is the only new addition to the calendar with Austria returning after a 11-year absence. The Indian Grand Prix has been dropped along with the Korean round, but organisers hope to have the race at the Buddh International circuit back on the 2015 schedule.

Round Race Circuit Date Forum
11 Hungarian Grand Prix Hungaroring July 25 – 27 Forum
12 Belgian Grand Prix Spa-Francorchamps August 22 – 24 Forum
13 Italian Grand Prix Monza September 5 – 7 Forum
14 Singapore Grand Prix Singapore September 19 – 21 Forum
15 Japanese Grand Prix Suzuka October 3 – 5 Forum
16 Russian Grand Prix Sochi October 10 – 12
17 United States Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas October 31 – November 2 Forum
18 Brazilian Grand Prix Interlagos November 7 – 9 Forum
19 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Yas Marina November 21 – 23 Forum

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

96 comments on Korea, Mexico and New Jersey dropped as 2014 F1 calendar is confirmed

1. Diceman (@diceman) said on 4th December 2013, 15:49

If Abu Dhabi was dropped, the calendar would be much better.

2. Jimbo Hull (@kartingjimbo) said on 4th December 2013, 15:56

Won’t having Abu Dhabi as the last race do the viewing figures more harm than good if the title is already decided by that point? I mean why would people who are casual viewers of F1 even consider watching it? Maybe because its a night/twilight race this time but there’s not much else. Brazil alone brings in the figures just because of it’s status regardless of the title being decided or not!

Another step taken in the name of the dollar rather than in the well being and care of the sport.

3. matt90 (@matt90) said on 4th December 2013, 16:02

Regarding the headline, yay, boo and boo.

4. bharat (@bharat141) said on 4th December 2013, 16:04

it would have been much better if yas marina is replaced by BIC though not as the final race. Disappointed to see interlagos losing the final race to tlyas marina

5. obviously said on 4th December 2013, 16:05

Not this Abu Dhabi crap again! I’d rather drop that race completely than have it as a season finale instead of Brazil. Interlagos kept producing great races for decades, while Abu Dhabi has managed a horrible race each year. The races are boring, the track is boring and the crowd is invisible.

6. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 4th December 2013, 16:07

Looking forward to somebody losing the world championship on an ironic note, by running out of fuel in Abu Dhabi.

Meanwhile, get it right this time, BBC, and show us 10 races live – not live coverage of a Grand Prix that never happens!

7. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 4th December 2013, 16:28

Shame about Mexico, happy about Korea :D

Btw, F1′s 900th GP, will be the night race in Bahrain (like the 2008 Singapore GP)!

8. Valhyre (@ausuma) said on 4th December 2013, 16:31

Maaan now i’m sad. Mexico dropped out of the calendar and Abu Dhabi finishes the calendar, why couldn’t they keep Interlagos? it always produces great racing being a Title deciding race or just another race.

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 4th December 2013, 16:41

@ausuma Well word here in Mexico is that they’ll start working on the track in January, so they clearly expect the race will happen in 2015. But then how many races will there be 22?
      India might not be coming back after all and other one has to go to fit both New Jersey and Mexico.

• William (@william) said on 5th December 2013, 0:41

24 races including Morrocco if it ever gets the green light and New Jersey. I happy to see Mexico in 2015 as it will be a great addition to the calendar. Bernie and India have an agreement in place for 2015

9. mantresx (@mantresx) said on 4th December 2013, 16:36

So how many engine failures and penalties for changing parts are we going to see in that Malaysia/Bahrain double header? I still remember Sepang in 2006 hehe

10. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 4th December 2013, 17:00

First time in a while I don’t see a race labeled as the “European GP”

11. Disappointed that New Jersey and Mexico didn’t make it. Mexico has a good track and New Jersey looks to be one of the best street circuits for F1.

Korea was an ok track but it was poorly attended and placed in a horrible location for an international sporting event.

Personally I’d like to see both German GPs in the same year, as I like both tracks (though I must give the edge to Hockenheimring).

12. Bobsacamano (@bobsacamano) said on 4th December 2013, 17:07

Good to see most of the 3 week gaps are gone, the first part of this season felt far too stop starty.

13. andae23 (@andae23) said on 4th December 2013, 17:45

Good to see Korea off the calendar: dreadful circuit, poorly chosen location and organizers that failed to promote the event. Mexico was probably a year to soon, but there are no excuses for Port Imperial’s failure. I doubt the Grand Prix will take place in 2015, or if it will take place at all.

Regarding the ‘new’ circuits, Sochi is looking.. well, not particularly interesting. Like Korea, the location seems to be poorly chosen, as a circuit near Moscow or St. Petersburg might be a bigger success. Austria is a fantastic circuit and I’m thrilled it’s back on the calendar. Tickets are sold out already!

On a different note: I think 19 is still a vast amount of Grands Prix. One of the things I realized this season is that a Grand Prix is not enjoyable if it isn’t special. During many GPs this year, I was thinking to myself “Well, it’s exactly the same as the previous races – why am I watching this again?” Reducing the amount of GPs would fix this in my opinion.

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 4th December 2013, 19:20

You’re right there, I really don’t think New Jersey will ever happen either. The event has now been postponed twice, and despite Ecclestone saying they’ll definitely race there in 2015, I’m not buying it. It’s time to give up on Port Imperial and a Grand Prix with New York as a backdrop for now and try elsewhere in the future. Somewhere of substance.

14. Michael (@freelittlebirds) said on 4th December 2013, 17:48

What the ???? I was so looking forward to the F1 race in New Jersey as it was the only one that I could attend with my wife and family – we have 2 young kids so taking them to a GP is impossible. I think it would have been an absolute classic – I’ve driven that area back when it was almost empty (it’s been hugely developed in the last 20 years) to visit an Asian supermarket with my wife. The view is just absolutely spectacular – it’s hard to take in by itself, much less with a F1 event tied to it.

It would have made for a phenomenal race and I think with New York in the background, it would have set F1 on fire on the East Coast… At least I could talk to people about the event without appearing from outer space. The usual response from my neighbors is F What?

So, so, so, so, so, so disappointed…

15. sato113 (@sato113) said on 4th December 2013, 18:07

you missed India from the article title keith. it only says it in the article itself.