Double points to be awarded for season finale

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Yas Marina, 2013The FIA has announced drivers and teams will score double points at the final race of the season from next year.

The change, one of several items which the FIA said had been “unanimously approved”, has been made “in order to maximise focus on the championship until the end of the campaign”. It was agreed after meetings of the F1 Strategy Group and Formula One Commission today.

Points will be allocated as follows:

Position Normal race Final race
1st 25 50
2nd 18 36
3rd 15 30
4th 12 24
5th 10 20
6th 8 16
7th 6 12
8th 4 8
9th 2 4
10th 1 2

The 2014 F1 season finale will take place at Abu Dhabi.

Over to you

What do you think of the change to the points system? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

[poll id="454"]

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

395 comments on Double points to be awarded for season finale

1. Lewisham Milton said on 10th December 2013, 8:22

One point for a win.

2. I can already see the endless forum debates over who ‘really’ won the 2014 title when the leader by 49 points has an engine failure on the last lap of the last GP allowing 2nd place to steal it in the dying moments.

It would be so unfair, and just add to the lottery element, not just for the teams and drivers fighting for the championship but lower down the grid too. Will teams save a fresh engine for this race to minimise the chances of a failure? Will they spend more on developing a specific package for the final weekend than any other?

It has occurred to me in the past that the more races there are in the season the less likely we are to have a title decider in the last race. But that’s no excuse for artificially prolonging the championship. If this goes ahead it will devalue the championship in many peoples eyes (if it actually has an effect on positions, which it might not). I would not be at all surprised if they do a U-turn on this due to public outcry, but we will have to wait and see.

3. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 10th December 2013, 8:23

@keithcollantine What a sad day . I think everything has been said already . There are enough sarcasm posts for a full article on f1f .So I am not adding to it. My question is can anything be done by the media ? Is it possible to give them a tap on the shoulder or does it all come down to viewership only.

4. Chalky (@chalky) said on 10th December 2013, 8:36

I’d really like to read all 300+ comments here, but I don’t have time.
    Here’s a crazy scenario.
    We have gearbox and engine limits, on how many you can use. With double points in the final race, teams will either conserve newer gearboxs \ engines for this race or deliberatly gain gearbox penalties at the penultimate race to have a relatively new gearbox \ engine for the final race.
    The penultimate race will be the setup for the double points race.
    It would be within the rules, but it would not really be racing.

5. I saw a comment elsewhere (apologies if someone has already written it here) – that rather than double the last races points, each team/driver must nominate a ‘joker’ race at the start of the season at which they will receive double points. It adds a degree of strategy as opposed to lottery. For example, Vettel may think: “I always go well in Japan, I’ll double my points there.” Hamilton may go for Canada, Caterham for Monaco or a race where there are several retirements.

That’s not to say that Hamilton/Vettel/Caterham would definitely finish their joker race, which would add something special to it. As much as I hate the “final GP is double” rule, I think I’d actually be ok with this “joker” alteration. Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

6. Chalky (@chalky) said on 10th December 2013, 8:53

each team/

It’s a Knockout? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Its_a_knockout :D

7. gambisk said on 10th December 2013, 9:17

They might as well add power ups and turtle shells and make F1 into a full blown mario cart spin off.

8. David not Coulthard (@) said on 10th December 2013, 9:27

It’s much fairer to give double points to a double-length race instead. Having said that, I’d certainly like to see a double-length final round.

9. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 10th December 2013, 9:28

May I just add a point – which might have well been made in the plethora of comments above – FOR giving out more points in the last round.

I emphasise round, because although giving more points for a single race is laughable in my opinion as well, holding a double-header of races on a single race weekend would actually make sense for me – and bring the same result.

It does not have to be two full races (for cost-related reasons), a sprint race besides the normal one would suffice.

Opinions?

I think this is a forward-moving idea, because it allows for the same intentions (i. e. putting off the time when teams choose to focus entirely on next year), but with a bit less bias between different events.

10. svarun (@svarun) said on 10th December 2013, 9:36

This is a boon for those who may have a unreliable car!
    Blow out in 2 or 3 races won’t be a problem anymore…as you can score in Abu dhabi…LOL..

Rather this rule should have a clause…
    i.e if there are mathematically 3 or more drivers in with a chance of WDC or teams with a WCC only then use it,else it is just rubbish.

11. svarun (@svarun) said on 10th December 2013, 9:36

This is a boon for those who may have a unreliable car!

Rather this rule should have a clause…

12. Fab F1 (@fabf1) said on 10th December 2013, 9:43

I think if they want to test something, they do have a sister organization now in the form of FORMULA E. Let them try it out there and then see how it goes.

If it is a successful one and then bring into something big like FORMULA 1, which was never changed for years. Rather than testing it for one year then make some controversy and then change back.

13. Rifqah said on 10th December 2013, 9:47

Oh dear FIA, brace yourselves.

A mob is coming.

14. Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 10th December 2013, 9:55

The drivers should all pull into the pits on lap 40 (a la Indy 2005) so that only half points are awarded.

15. It’s money for the FIA, guess the Abu Dhabi guys wanted a bit more now they have the most important race on the calender.