Double points to be awarded for season finale

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Yas Marina, 2013The FIA has announced drivers and teams will score double points at the final race of the season from next year.

The change, one of several items which the FIA said had been “unanimously approved”, has been made “in order to maximise focus on the championship until the end of the campaign”. It was agreed after meetings of the F1 Strategy Group and Formula One Commission today.

Points will be allocated as follows:

Position Normal race Final race
1st 25 50
2nd 18 36
3rd 15 30
4th 12 24
5th 10 20
6th 8 16
7th 6 12
8th 4 8
9th 2 4
10th 1 2

The 2014 F1 season finale will take place at Abu Dhabi.

Over to you

What do you think of the change to the points system? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Should double points be awarded at the season finale?

• No (91%)
  • No opinion (1%)

Total Voters: 801

Loading ... Loading ...

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

395 comments on Double points to be awarded for season finale

1 4 5 6 7 8 14
  1. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 9th December 2013, 21:06

On a quest for the punchline of this very bad joke foisted upon us by the FIA.

• Just a bad joke designed to make us forget about the mandatory 2 pit stops rule.

• Applies to all races except at Monte Carlo the drivers must go to Casino and spin the Roulette wheel to see how many extra points they get.

• Triple extra points are to be awarded for extra special acrobatic dismounts by drivers in parc fermé.

• Extra points also awarded for post race doughnut competition.

• Teams on double secret probation not eligible for double points.

• Ferrari gets double points every race. – FIA says, ha ha, just kidding on that one. Everybody knows there is no preferential treatment in F1. ;)

• Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh! – Sorry, that was just me venting at some of the most ridiculous rule changes we have seen in some time.

• FlyingLobster27 said on 9th December 2013, 21:09

Or we can just hand the punchline to Alejandro Agag, promoter of Formula E, when he announced the “vote to pass”; in substance:
      “Obviously we have some problems with this idea with the hardcore racing fans… but we are focusing on the 10-14 year olds here.”

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 9th December 2013, 21:12

• I heard Monty Python were getting back together. I had no idea it was going to be at the FIA.

• Beto (@chebeto) said on 9th December 2013, 21:13

@bullmello Thank you for this. You made my day. It’s nice to see that the FIA has a sense of humor, or maybe they are on drugs.

2. Beto (@chebeto) said on 9th December 2013, 21:09

I almost didn’t mind the two-stop rule. I voted “No” but I think that wouldn’t change the races too much. But this is just a terrible idea. I want to know what are these people smoking.

3. Wesley (@wesley) said on 9th December 2013, 21:15

F1 has become LAUGHABLE!!…this is NOT racing,It is all fake!

4. hobbsy009 (@hobbsy009) said on 9th December 2013, 21:18

I, for one, would like to propose a fan boycott for the last race of the season. Not only will it, if supported in numbers, show the importance of pleasing devoted fanatics of the sport, but will also save us the time we would have lost watching both a farcical event and a likely boring GP.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 10th December 2013, 4:34

I doubt that would make a difference. If you watch on the BBC then your viewing habits are only recorded if you have a special box anyway (they extrapolate from those who do to provide viewing figures you hear about). I’m not sure if sky is the same though- they might record what you watch through the sky box rather than the system used by terrestrial channels. Basically, what I’m saying is that if you stop watching the powers that be probably won’t even realise.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 10th December 2013, 7:53

@hobbsy009 +1
      @matt90 I would say if a million people decide to do that , it would make a difference.Let us follow the race onlin . Just make sure you don’t fill Bernie’s pockets . I think most of us crazy f1 fans would do it . Something ought to be done . Unfortunately it has to be switching off your tv or not attending the GP .

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 10th December 2013, 12:43

@hamilfan Like I said, how? How would anybody even know that you weren’t watching?

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 10th December 2013, 15:37

@matt90 If a single person does it , no point .

If a million do it , then they will have some revenue loss in tv coverage . If people stop going to the race in question ( Though I doubt this will happen ) , then a lot of money will be lost and Bernie will have to rethink . That is the only way they will listen .

We can always follow the race online . I will not watch the final race on TV . I have almost made up my mind . I will follow it online , that’s all .

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 10th December 2013, 16:58

@hamilfan Like I said (again), how? How would anybody even know that you weren’t watching? You keep repeating yourself without understanding that nobody will miss anybody not watching, because unless you are in a household with one of those devices the viewing figures will not change. 99% of the population could stop watching and it would go unrecognised.

About actually going to the race you have a point, although like you said I doubt it would affect many people’s desire to go to that race.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 10th December 2013, 17:59

@matt90

I don’t get you . Do you mean to say if there is a steep decline in TV viewership across the world , it will not affect FOM’s income through viewership ?

I don’t watch it online . I watch the races on TV in a household ( we guys in Asia don’t need to buy sky to watch f1 , majority of the viewership comes through regular channels which almost everyone has and which are priced anyway ) . Suppose a lot , by lot , I mean A LOT of people stop watching on TV , then won’t it have any effect ?
            Am I missing something here ? FOM surely gets some of the money through viewership right ? Even though it may be a pittance compared to money earned from race organizers .

Bah , irrespective of that , I don’t think this can improve.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 10th December 2013, 19:24

@hamilfan Okay, it may be different wherever in Asia you are, but, in the UK, the broadcasters can’t tell what you are watching unless you are one of the tiny number of people who have a special recorder device. About 5000 households- supposedly representative of the UK’s demographics- in the country have a box that records their viewing habits (including how many people in the room are watching the TV), and then they extrapolate the numbers to estimate viewing figures for the entire country. Each house with a box represents 5000 other houses. 22+ million households in the country do not actually have their televisions monitored- so only people with the box can make a difference to viewing figures, and if aren’t one of those people, you can do whatever the hell you like and the viewing figures won’t change.

It may be different where you are, or it may be the same. But certainly in the UK, unless you are in the tiny minority with a special box, nobody even knows what you watch, and so if millions of people without a box stopped watching something, nobody would know so long as those with a box keep watching. I’d check how it is with you, because if the only reason you won’t watch something is to reduce viewing figures, it might not make a difference.

Do you understand?

5. Mackeine Loveine (@cocaine-mackeine) said on 9th December 2013, 21:22

Is it me, or F1 is trying to copy the stuff of NASCAR??? Permanent numbers and double points for the season finale? That last one is like The Chase on NASCAR. Way to go Bernie, way to go….

• SoLiDG (@solidg) said on 9th December 2013, 21:27

In defence of Nascar, the chase format works!
      A bit artificial .. maybe .. But it creates something.
      It hypes up driver rivalries, stories.. always exciting championships.
      And in the end it’s always the deserving driver winning.

• Mackeine Loveine (@cocaine-mackeine) said on 9th December 2013, 22:11

Agreed. And does this points system help F1??? I thought that, it might be a little bit exciting if in the final race a driver that it’s seconds in the standings wins the race and takes the championship with 50 points plus! But that idea gets ruined with the fact that the finale will be held at Abu Dhabi. Impossible to overtake, impossible to crash, impossible to make a mistake…. the system in that way is nonsense.

6. Stupid stupid stupid.

7. Juanj said on 9th December 2013, 21:24

FIA, please revoke your new rule to award double points at the last race of 2014 http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/formula1 diffuse it please!

8. SoLiDG (@solidg) said on 9th December 2013, 21:26

At first I thought that might be good.. but the points awarded are too high!
    Maybe go for a 35 for a victory and such could be a bit better.
    Or higher points for classic tracks (spa, suzuka, monza) but not 50, more like 35 again.

• I disagree with extra points for certain circuits. Just because the circuit is hard doesn’t mean that driver deserves more points then others. Imagine if Rosberg got extra points for his win in silverstone. It was the only time this year the winner didn’t make top 3 in DOTW because he won by technical problems. Compare that to India where Vettel obliterated the field.

9. jhg103 (@joshgeake) said on 9th December 2013, 21:27

I remember a good friend of mine (who works in the movie business) once saying “Don’t give fans exactly what they want, they’ll screw it all up and blame you.” and I can’t help but think it makes sense here too.

Why not try it? AD’s a crap race anyway, they might as well make it more interesting.

I’ve watched F1 religiously for over two decades, it’s been long overdue to be more arcadey, more inviting, more friendly and less about obsessive technology.

10. Kelsier (@kelsier) said on 9th December 2013, 21:28

I don’t mind boycotting the last race, Abu Dhabi is not a real race anyway.

11. hey (@hey) said on 9th December 2013, 21:30

So the most technologically advanced series is FormulaE/WEC, the most road-relevant series is WEC, there’s great racing to had in all-sorts of series around the world, and Formula1 is…. a gimmicky commercial TV slot? Well I love motor-racing and I already watch enough TV so I guess I have no reason to watch much of F1 next season. I just wish there could be one series where the world’s best drivers all go to race and see who is the best…

12. FOM Fan (@) said on 9th December 2013, 21:31

Seriously, F1 fans don’t half like to destroy the sport. Maybe F1 Fanatic should have a policy where if you say something like “I’m never following F1 again” then your account should be banned/deleted, because if you really feel that way about F1, WHY ARE YOU HEREE?!!

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 9th December 2013, 22:11

@fom-fan
      “I don’t understand why people are going crazy over a rule change which will probably have no impact anyway? So what if the points is doubled at the season finale? Does it really make a difference? No.”

Just to entertain your assertion for a moment, what if it does make a difference. In a runaway season such as 2013, you would be correct to say double points in the season finale would not make a difference.

But, what about seasons like 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012? These seasons were decided by very small margins and sometimes by only 1 point. Artificial extra points in the finale has the potential to skew the championship. In 2008 and 2012 there would have been different winners in the WCC due to essentially artificial extra points given in one race out of 19 races. This is bogus.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 9th December 2013, 22:38

@fom-fan, Surprise an FOM fan with a Ferrari avatar, likes a rule that would have made Massa, not Hamilton, a World champion.

• FOM Fan (@) said on 14th December 2013, 15:31

My avatar was chosen as it is an F1 driver holding a FOM/F1 Communications camera. I just feel it makes a nice image. Connects F1 to broadcasting. Personally I wish Ferrari, a team which claims itself to be the best, yet was unable to win a Drivers championship for 20 years in a row, and a constructors championship for 15 years in a row, were no longer in the sport, due to their provocative comments by their chairman.

Anyway, I would prefer a double points race to occur maybe on more of a “Heritage” event, such as the Monaco Grand Prix, as it’s a unique track, been around the longest, and offers more of a challenge to the drivers.

Still, the aim of the rule change is to build more excitement towards the final race of the season, and if the fans & newspaper articles stopped saying “F1 is boring” etc. etc. then maybe this rule change wouldn’t have happened.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 9th December 2013, 23:27

@fom-fan first, is that your real name? FOM fan? I start to understand your comment
      @hohum Massa will start to cry right now

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 10th December 2013, 4:38

If it probably won’t make a difference, then why use it? And if it can make a difference, as it would have in certain years, why on Earth is that a good thing?

13. HawkAussie (@hawkaussie) said on 9th December 2013, 21:33

Completey LOL on the double points.

14. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 9th December 2013, 21:33

I really like this idea! But I have some more that should be implemented that could make it even better:

- Turbo boost pads in random places on the track
    - Give Charlie Whiting a ‘Random’ button, which causes something to happen during the race. E.g. someone’s car cutting out, or forcing someone to pit for wet tyres.
    - Every so often, without the FIA telling anyone, they have a reverse qualifying. No-one knows when it will happen, but suddenly pole position has to start last.

Well done, FIA, you’re doing a great job.

• GongTong (@gongtong) said on 9th December 2013, 22:03

I really like your ideas, but I don’t think you’re being realistic at all.

Consider shells. As projectiles…? Green ones, you fire them, they bounce around randomly and could hit anyone. Red ones, you fire them, they “heat seek” the guy in front of you. Blue, you fire it, it “heat seeks” the current leader.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 10th December 2013, 8:00

@jamiefranklinf1

LOLZ I just freakin laughed out loud at the random push button and the reverse qualifying …Ha hahah seriously man, this has to be the most rotten rule ever made in f1 so far in terms of consequences .

15. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 9th December 2013, 21:33

To keep the championship undecided until the last race, it would be great to don’t give points in the first 18 races of the season and give points on the final race: you’re 100% sure the title will be decided in the last race :)

1 4 5 6 7 8 14