Double points to be awarded for season finale

2014 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Yas Marina, 2013The FIA has announced drivers and teams will score double points at the final race of the season from next year.

The change, one of several items which the FIA said had been “unanimously approved”, has been made “in order to maximise focus on the championship until the end of the campaign”. It was agreed after meetings of the F1 Strategy Group and Formula One Commission today.

Points will be allocated as follows:

Position Normal race Final race
1st 25 50
2nd 18 36
3rd 15 30
4th 12 24
5th 10 20
6th 8 16
7th 6 12
8th 4 8
9th 2 4
10th 1 2

The 2014 F1 season finale will take place at Abu Dhabi.

Over to you

What do you think of the change to the points system? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Should double points be awarded at the season finale?

• No (91%)
  • No opinion (1%)

Total Voters: 801

Loading ... Loading ...

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

398 comments on Double points to be awarded for season finale

1 5 6 7 8 9 11
  1. Kimi4WDC said on 9th December 2013, 23:06

Just shows how much effort is put into F1 by FIA. No wonder whole thing is a mess right now.

I’m afraid due to all the “corporation” there is no turning back, F1 will become a prime time show for masses, it will be so shallow, people who barely knows what a racing car is should get it, so the sponsors and other stake holders get their money worth.

2. John White (@jonty1512) said on 9th December 2013, 23:06

This has got to be about the most ridiculous idea the FIA have come up with. It even beats the stupid idea of having a flap on the rear wing that allows for false overtaking and having tyres that are as fragile as cold custard. It is the FIA’s constant meddling that is ruining the sport.

3. George said on 9th December 2013, 23:08

Not really going to make a difference when Vettel will be well over 50 points in the lead of the championship before the start of the final race anyway!!

4. Zoey (@f14life) said on 9th December 2013, 23:16

This Christmas, I wish people with some sense sit at the top to avoid further embarrassment to my fav sport….DRS seems much easy to chew now..Seriously affecting the credibility and integrity of the sport here !!!!!!

5. celeste (@celeste) said on 9th December 2013, 23:19

Just one thing to said about FIA decision making

6. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 9th December 2013, 23:22

I have to say that in all of this nightmare situation, the cherry on top of this excrement cake is that the 2014 finale will be in Abu Dhabi. That track is becoming more and more a colossal monument to the folly of modern F1, a cathedral of terrible track design, of money put above passion or fans and the most fitting track on the calendar at which to introduce this detestable rule.

7. karter22 (@karter22) said on 9th December 2013, 23:26

This has got to be the most stupid idea ever!! What is going on??? They are raping F1 for Christ´s sake… Will these gimmicks and attempts to help some ever stop??
    *Felling disgusted and ****** off*

8. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 9th December 2013, 23:33

Well, I hope the race is stopped early (the floodlights go out or something) so half points are awarded!

9. Simon (@s162000) said on 9th December 2013, 23:34

As far as I am concerned Abu Dhabi will be a non championship race next season.

10. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 9th December 2013, 23:37

I wonder when (and perhaps more crucially why) F1 collectively lost the confidence to just be a racing series and instead felt like it had to do something to appease the people who don’t like it, and will never like it no matter what it does? It feels like all this does is ruin the sport for the fans, while doing nothing to generate interest from new parties. It’s a real shame to see such a great sport reduced to abandoning decades of great tradition and continuity just because a few people said it was boring.

11. danclapp (@danclapp) said on 9th December 2013, 23:38

I telling you know if this costs a driver the title its pathetic, yes we like title deciders, but honestly imagine next year Hamilton is 26 points ahead and he is champion in normal circumstance well what if he as the bad luck and gets took out(as is often in last races for Ham(always has some problem with the car) and sayVettle comes 2nd and wins the title or even if Vettel wins he should finish 1 point behind not win the goddamn title. Its ridcolous i seriosuly think if Alonso or Hamilton lose a title off this they would probably walk, i seriously believe that would happen guys, we all know their battling for their legacy at the moment, would Vettel fans even be happy if Vettel won the title in this way. Even if soe driver has the worst luck ever for the 2014 season nd was leading loads of races and had failures no way des it make it right, this truly is worst rule i have ever seen, id rather have DRS for the whole lap than this. This is meddling with the points, we know how competitive it is these days guys. I am absoloute shocked, can you honestly see Alonso losing out in that way and carrying on(it may be an advantage) i think also if someone won it inthat way they seriously would have no fans whatsoever, who agrees? I know for a fact i would not cheer if Ham won in that way, and i know his talent deserves more than 1 title its unreal. WOW i hope this changes surely people int agreeing man the drivers wont like this.

12. Jason (@saint-jay) said on 9th December 2013, 23:39

Way to Brown-Nose Adrian Newey, awarding double points on HIS track?

Pathetic.

13. danclapp (@danclapp) said on 9th December 2013, 23:41

What makes me laugh is people only saying it should not happen because of the trcak, i dont care weather its the best track their should not be double points, seriously what if someone has a reliable problem or gets took out and the race is wet and you get someone like Button 2010 winning the title from nothing. It should not happen anywere. It is wrong to penalise someone if they have a mechanical.

14. James (@jimmyd13) said on 9th December 2013, 23:41

You know, I wouldn’t be bothered if the last race is going to be in Brazil, but no some idiot decides to put one of the most boring races (and predictable) on the calendar last and say it’s worth more. I think this is just Bernie scrounging for money.

15. Lotus49 (@lotus49) said on 9th December 2013, 23:45

Don’t forget children. ‘What to points mean? Points mean PRIZES!’ Especially to the FIA who have just awarded themselves a pay rise of up to $548,000, for the extra 101 points in the season. $6000 per point for the Champions and $5000 for all other points scorers. Not a bad little earner.

16. Maciek (@maciek) said on 10th December 2013, 0:43

And this comes days after Todt gets…. ummm… ‘re-elected’. Pathetic. There are just so many things wrong with the FIA and F1 it’s difficult to know where to begin. Transparent governance would be an idea, but who am I kidding.

17. I think it was the COTD yesterday or read it somewhere on here where someone said that they had been a fan for a long time and had just about enough of the gimmicks and would tune in to “hope” the changes in 2014 may turn their interest around.

I read this and said to myself, a fan of 16 years or so, “You know what they’ve got a point but I love F1 too much to turn my back on it”.

Then I went on Autosport and then now here today, to find that double points will be awarded in the last race. It was the only time that I’ve been a fan and said “This sport is becoming a joke”. I felt utterly gutted. It’s like when you do something embarrassing and your parents aren’t angry, they are “disappointed in you” and it hits you much worse. I’m disappointed in Formula 1.

As far as I’m concerned F1 is on it’s last legs for me. I don’t mind the DRS, the tires and the new powertrain rules, I didn’t even mind Vettel winning the last nine races because you know what as a Ferrari fan, what goes around come around. It’s just life. But that’s just it isn’t it. This has been angering me in life as well, the willingness to appease every single person. As a coach I say to my players, football isn’t for everyone, neither is the weight room and neither is playing time. If you don’t deserve to play, then you won’t play. When you change the point structure for a single race, just to keep people in the championship fight it gets ridiculous. Someone who is 50 points down with a single race to go, in my opinion, has not shown enough during the season to warrant a championship. They don’t deserve it.

The fact that it would change only 3 of the past 20 championships is irrelevant. It’s the fact that it COULD happen. I think I read a tweet earlier saying that they wish the championship will be sewn up in Brazil next year with a lead of 51 pts, just to anger the FIA. I couldn’t agree more.

18. mda (@mda72) said on 10th December 2013, 1:00

Somebody call IT for me, my computer’s not working. The date says “December 9″, not “April 1″ …

Seriously, it is a joke that any GP should be worth more points than any other. It is beyond a joke that the GP chosen for this honour is Abu Dhabi, and not Monaco which might almost be excuseable. Does anyone imagine that a team or driver that finished second in the final race, but lost the title by less than 25 points to the winner of that race, won’t be screaming blue murder? And have a pretty good point doing so?

19. William (@william) said on 10th December 2013, 1:20

I prefer if they had like a Grand Slam where they award double points for the 1st race which will be always be Australia no matter what. And award double points in Monaco, Suzuka and Interlagos

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 10th December 2013, 4:24

But in tennis those events are longer matches (for the men) and more rounds. Being larger, and by definition far more prestigious, that makes sense. Even giving the more special tracks points is unnecessary and unfair.

• William (@william) said on 10th December 2013, 7:15

True but Formula 1 could always have Quali on Saturday and Races on Saturday and Sunday when there is a grand slam tournament weekend on. I see how its unfair for the circuits when other circuits get more points in the one weekend. But Bernie suggested an idea of a Grand Slam

20. HoHum (@hohum) said on 10th December 2013, 1:43

The 2% of f1f readers who have no opinion on anything but feel the need to let people know that they don’t care seem to be working in cahoots with the 8% who love everything FIA/FOM want to ensure that opposition to FIA/FOM gimmicks cannot be stated as 9 out of 10 F1f readers. If you have no opinion on anything why not explain why you don’t care one way or the other, but if you don’t care about F1 at all please don’t dilute the majority position.

1 5 6 7 8 9 11