Drivers to pick ‘career numbers’ next year

2014 F1 season

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Circuit de Catalunya, 2013Formula One drivers will select race numbers which they will retain for the rest of their careers from next season.

Drivers will be given the choice of numbers between 2 and 99 from next year.

The number one will remain for special use of the reigning world champion, if they choose to use it. Where two drivers choose the same number, whoever finished highest in the championship will have first preference.

This is the first change to the numbering system for Formula One cars since 1996, when the current system based on the constructors’ championship finishing positions was introduced.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

150 comments on Drivers to pick ‘career numbers’ next year

1. jhg103 (@joshgeake) said on 9th December 2013, 21:24

It’s a silly change but who cares anyway, it doesn’t make any real difference.

The sad thing is that purists will think “oh wow a romantic throwback to when Ferrari had 27/28 and Villeneuve and curly driver writing and red 5 and everything…” Realists meanwhile will know that drivers won’t give a hoot, Alonso will take 3. Why? Because Santander’s new 3-2-1 account lets you blah, blah…

2. HawkAussie (@hawkaussie) said on 9th December 2013, 21:35

I think this is a brilliant idea from the FIA. At least you know what number each driver will take because of the number

3. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 9th December 2013, 21:36

I hope Vettel chooses 1 ^^

4. Jonathan said on 9th December 2013, 21:39

Are these numbers going to be shown on the side of the cars where you can actually see them? The sides of the rear-wing for example?

Would be useful for drivers that change their helmet designs, or for teams where both drivers have yellow helmets!

5. Personally I liked he idea of the current numbering system, but I don’t think it will take long for me to get used to this one.

What would be really awful is if drivers would only have one helmet design for their career. I know people hate that Vettel does it, but special and one-off helmet designs shouldn’t be discouraged.

6. N7 (@m77) said on 9th December 2013, 22:06

I’ve always liked the moto gp numbering idea so I’m happy with this, even if it is essentially a marketing ploy… it’s good to give a driver more of a ‘signature’ though (especially with the helmet roulette of recent years).

7. Kanil (@kanil) said on 9th December 2013, 22:10

I like the existing system, it’s kind of neat to see a team get a set of lower numbers after a good season. Slightly sad to see it go.

It’s not a huge deal though, and the new one will work. In particular, it’ll make those messages from race control easier to understand.

8. 68btyme (@steadyb) said on 9th December 2013, 22:48

I kinda like it. Wondering if they will be able to retire a drivers number?

9. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 9th December 2013, 23:02

I hope those numbers are at leat visible, not in a hidden place behind the sidepods or something. You see the cars in F1 and the number is the smallest thing in the front, and nowhere to be seen on the sides.

10. but will the numbers be chosen by the team or by the driver??? for example, football player cristiano ronaldo has the number 7 as HIS signature. drivers might like a number they can associate to them as a marketing tool or identification. the teams on the other hand might, like for example ferrari an historic number…

11. I liked it, had long there was no change in the numbering system.

The FIA ​​should focus more on the wim and gain positions too.
    I think if it was given to the winner in addition to 25 points a number of points equal to the starting position would be nice.
    eg
    who wins starting in 2nd, 25 +2 = 27, starting at 3, 25 +3 = 28 and so on until the 10th, 25 +10 = 35.
      What do you think?

12. Joe (@theessence) said on 10th December 2013, 0:07

my main concern is who will get Ricky Bobby’s #26 Shake ‘n’ Bake

13. Addmanniw said on 10th December 2013, 0:09

My only real issue with this (I’m also a big MotoGP fan and it helps)

Is that I don’t think the picks should be on last years championship but on either career races (Meaning Jenson then Fernando get to pick first) or career points. Does 1 season mean Grosjean should pick ahead of Button and Massa with hundreds more races under their belts?

I also thing Damon Hill would be annoyed. Number 0 isn’t available!

14. DominikWilde (@dominikwilde) said on 10th December 2013, 0:15

Good idea executed wrong. Car numbers shouldn’t be based on position and change as often as they do. That said, i don’t like the idea of ‘career’ numbers as such, i think they should follow the American way and number the cars not the drivers.

15. I can imagine drivers using numbers associated with championships. Alonso 5, Hamilton 8, Vettel 10. Maybe Button with 22. Maybe birth years although in about a decade that could become a problem with 2000 and 2001. Chilton could have 19