Mandatory pit stop plan scrapped

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Buddh International Circuit, 2013In the round-up: Plans to force drivers to pit twice per race during 2014 have been dropped.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Formula 1 teams reject proposal to enforce two pit stops (BBC)

“The proposal received no support from the teams at Monday’s meeting of F1’s rules strategy group.”

Vettel against double points rule change (Reuters)

“‘F1 demeans itself with double points gimmick,’ declared a headline on the F1 Fanatic website, whose poll of more than 700 members showed 90 per cent opposed to the idea.”

Formula 1 to award double points for final race from 2014 (The Times, subscription required)

“Fans immediately took to Twitter and website forums to criticise the idea. One site, F1 Fanatic, carried out a poll that found 91 per cent of respondents were against the idea.”

(NB. Both figures for the percentage of voters were correct when the respective articles were published)

F1 champion Vettel slams rule changes (The New Zealand Herald)

“I respect old traditions in the Formula One and I don’t understand the new rule.”

Teams consider postponing Jerez test (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“It seems that some teams won?t be as ready as they thought they would be, with Lotus apparently pushing the idea of a delay.”

McLaren, Force India won’t run (Sky)

“It now remains to be seen how many of the remaining four teams named on the FIA announcement – Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari and Toro Rosso – will be in action at Sakhir.”

Budget cap no easy fix – Whitmarsh (Autosport)

“If we want to do it [introduce a budget cap] we have got a way of doing it, but a minority will always be opportunistic or try to frustrate it.”

Di Resta accused of entrapment as he admits recording Hamilton’s call (Daily Mail)

“‘I didn?t know it was illegal at the time,’ responded Di Resta, 27.”

Paul Di Resta’s Force India days look numbered as he eyes potential Sauber move (The Mirror)

“The only team that really has any possibility is Sauber. There has been nothing other than a chat with my manager.”

Merc ready to beat Red Bull – Rosberg (ESPN)

“We’ve made massive progress and really everybody believes that this team can do it and beat Red Bull.”

Martin Brundle on Formula 1 in 2014 (MotorSport)

“From what I?m hearing, I think it could be complete chaos in the early part of the season.”

World Formula One champion Vettel to become a father (AFP via Google News)

“German magazine Bunte revealed the Formula One star and his long-time girlfriend Hanna are expecting their first child in 2014.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Melkurion worked out how the ‘double points’ rule would have changed past championships:

Fangio would lose the 1956 title, but gain the 1953 tile, leaving him with five
Ascari would only be a single instead of a double champion
Hawthorn would lose is one title
Moss would be a (deserved) double champion
Ickx would be champion over Rindt, though I doubt he?d be very happy with it
Gilles Villeneuve would be champion
Scheckter would not
Jones would be a double champion
Piquet would be a double champion instead of a triple
Lauda would be a double champion instead of a triple
Prost would have five titles instead of four
Schumacher would lose one giving him six
Raikkonen would be a double champion
Alonso would be a triple champion
Hamilton would not be a champion
Massa would be
@Melkurion

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Debaser91 and Ryan!

On this day in F1

Today in 2009 the FIA decided to add experienced former drivers to the stewarding panel at race weekends.

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

103 comments on Mandatory pit stop plan scrapped

1. Somethingwittyer (@somethingwittyer) said on 11th December 2013, 1:26

Noticed all the quotes about F1 Fanatic in the round-up Keith. Looks like someone’s a bit starstruck about how much attention their little website is getting :) Anyway, if the FIA going to award double points, then do it at a race of significance like Monaco or Spa (actually Spa might not be a bad idea). At the very least don’t make Abu Dhabi the last round of 2014 (or even less realistically, move it here).

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 11th December 2013, 2:24

@somethingwittyer hope you are being just sarcastic.
      What it is important about the press mentions is that in some way everyone of us is making his point across. Let’s continue, let’s sign the virtual petition to show to FIA how important the fans are.

• mike-e (@mike-e) said on 11th December 2013, 5:27

I think its great! Us fans are having our say and some people are listening. This site could be the snowball that starts the avalanche! Its nice to think that our voices are heard.

Also shows that this site is getting respect and credibility, and rightly so. So well done @keithcollantine for your top work and well done F1fanatics for having mostly well informed, and sometimes passionate opinions!

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 11th December 2013, 5:28

Also hope the comment is an attempt at sarcasm though it is difficult to detect possible nuances and subtle gestures on the internet.

The mentions were newsworthy in that major news outlets used Keith’s website as a credible information source and as a way to gauge fan reaction to recent F1 proposals. Our voices have been heard beyond this website. That’s good to know.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th December 2013, 21:02

@somethingwittyer I won’t deny I’m pleased to see the coverage the poll and comment piece got in the mainstream media.

Of course the reason they’re featured in the round-up is to point out to those who contributed to the poll that their views are being passed on to an audience beyond those who read F1 Fanatic.

• I genuinely felt proud of the F1 Fanatic Team when I saw those tweets and references to everyone’s favorite F1 website. I’ve always experienced frustration when reading the plethora of uniformed, ignorant and often plain disrespectful comments on many popular forums, and I feel privileged to be a member of what is in my opinion the most credible, well-informed, intelligent and engaging of online F1 communities. Thanks and keep up the terrific work!

2. schooner (@schooner) said on 11th December 2013, 2:53

Good to see the knee-jerk double points proposal getting so roundly, and universally ridiculed by many F1 VIP’s and VIW’s (very important websites!). I haven’t seen a sound argument for it yet. If the FIA has any sense of, and sensitivity to, their core audience’s informed feelings on this ridiculousness, the idea must be canned.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 11th December 2013, 3:08

The idea should be canned but my guess is Bernie auctioned off the last race of the season with this double points format to sell it as the most important and expensive race of the year and the FIA went along with it because they will get the equivalent of an extra races worth of points payments from the teams without any extra expenses being incurred, Bernie and Todt wont want to give the money back. Bernie isn’t ruining F1 because he is stupid, Bernie is ruining F1 because he is greedy.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 11th December 2013, 6:30

@hohum – Think you are correct and that the teams will not vote this down. It would be like turning down a pay raise, not likely to happen. Funny thing is some people are saying this is to punish Vettel and Red Bull. If past form is any indicator, they would be the ones most likely to benefit from the extra points/prize money.

3. Sumedh said on 11th December 2013, 3:40

Actually, about the COTD, Alonso would still be a double WDC and Vettel would be a 4-time WDC.

Because, if the teams already knew that Brazil 2012 was double points, Red Bull would have made Webber drop from 4th to 6th giving Vettel 5th place and hence the championship to Vettel.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 11th December 2013, 11:10

Good point. Might be worth checking the other races in a bit more detail as well.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 12th December 2013, 11:18

@Sumedh Actually, I don’t think it is true.

Vettel had 13 points more than Alonso.

Alonso came second, so would have received 18×2=36 points.

Therefore, Vettel would have to get at least 23 points to still be champion. This would have meant fourth place.

Letting Webber drop to 6th would not have been enough – Webber would have had to crash into Hulkenberg in fact and take them both out to ensure Vettel becomes champion. I doubt he would have gone that far.

4. Chad (@chaddy) said on 11th December 2013, 4:23

Can someone explain the Di Resta / Hamilton case? I don’t know anything about it, but it sounds like Hamilton has repeatedly perjured himself and is basically a scumbag.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 11th December 2013, 6:08

@chaddy, you should not make those kind of assumptions when you know nothing about it, google it.

• Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 11th December 2013, 8:50

@chaddy From what I understand Hamilton is suing di Resta for wrongful dismissal. Di Resta sacked Hamilton as his manager in early 2012 after Hamilton is said to have lied about securing a sponsorship deal. For obscure reasons Hamilton believes that this (which would be considered gross misconduct in most lines of work) does not constitute valid grounds for dismissal.

• McKenzie (@mckenzie) said on 11th December 2013, 14:29

To be honest, I haven’t followed the story; it’s of little interest to me. I did read one report about the case, yesterday, on one of the big sports websites. The website – which I’m not going to name – is one of the big sites that covers all sports.

Anyway, I read the comments attached to the report, mainly out of curiosity. I could not believe the racist abuse that was being hurled at Hamilton senior. One comment contained a racial epithet that I won’t lower myself to repeat here. I would imagine that comment has been deleted by now. Other comments include some vile, racial slurs and some of those comments were still up, as of a few minutes ago.

Depressing to find out that sort of abuse is allowed on a sports website.

5. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 11th December 2013, 4:40

“From what I’m hearing, I think it could be complete chaos in the early part of the season,” he replied. It appears that teams are less than convinced that their new hybrid systems are going to be reliable, at least at first.”

Come on Martin, you know that this era of hyper-reliability only came to being relatively recently. Mechanical breakdowns are a part of the sport, always have been, always will be. Now I’m glad that the gearbox in my road car doesn’t decide to seize up every morning on the way to work, but we all expect a highly strung racing car to give up the ghost from time to time. A few more retirements in races will add a nice variable to the sport and will allow Marussia and Caterham to get a more realistic sniff of scoring a few points, which can only be a good thing as it makes results like Webber 5th place in Australia 2002 possible again. The fact that the teams won’t be as ready as they’d like is a result of many things (lack of funds due to tough economic conditions, lack of testing time) but you can’t honestly say it is a bad thing for the sport if we get a few rouge results at the start of next season.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th December 2013, 6:21

I think that its a really good thing to have too @geemac, its one of the things we missed in recent years, the uncertainty that a fast car would really make it to the flag

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 11th December 2013, 6:35

Me too @geemac, It won’t matter a damn how far out in front the leader is if there is every chance he will be stopping on the track before the finish, in the days of engines stressed to their absolute limit it was never over until the chequered flag dropped.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 11th December 2013, 11:12

What will also be nice will be the last few races of the next season where half the grid will be starting from the pitlane after exhausting their allowable number of engine parts.

6. If FIA really want to give More points to spice championships then give Points for Qualification of Top 5 or Top 8 and Giving Points for Top 3 Fastest laps.
    I propose this
    Qualification Top 5 Points P1 – 10 , P2 – 8, P3 – 6, P4 – 4, P5 – 2
    Fastest laps Top 3 FL – 3, 2nd FL – 2, 3rd FL – 1

7. BJ (@beejis60) said on 11th December 2013, 5:10

I saw on another site about the Leo DiCap. thing then I had the greatest laugh at one of the comments:

I wonder if his team will be like his acting career; very good but never actually win anything.

8. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th December 2013, 5:43

In defence of double points, what more could the FIA do? Any meaningful changes will be shot down by the teams because it means willingly sacrificing downforce. And when they do agree, they immediately try and get out of it, as they did with the off-throttle blown diffuser ban in 2011. At least the FIA are acknowledging that something needs to be done and are trying to do the best they can with what they have, even if it does not work.

Ideally, we would have a championship free of (or with severely limited) aerodynamics, a much smaller difference in performance between cars, and a range of strategic racing options to offset whatever performance gap there is – a world where the deciding influence is driver skill, not invisible engineering wizardry. But the teams would hate this, because it would be harder to get and hold onto World Championship positions. They claim to be acting in the best interests of the sport, but isn’t it marvellous how whatever is “best for the sport” always seems to coincide with what is best for that team? And somehow, they have managed to convince the fans that they are the plucky underdogs in all of this, surviving on a combination of wit and guIle. But they’re not. They only look out for their interests, happily manipulate everyone to suit themselves, force the FIA into a position where they can only make arbitrary rule changes, and then cry foul over it.

The teams aren’t the solution in Formula 1. They’re the problem.

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 11th December 2013, 9:47

@prisoner-monkeys the only point in your comment which I would disagree with is that “the FIA are acknowledging that something needs to be done”. In this particular case I think Brundle’s point is correct in this case in that they are trying to solve a problem which isn’t there. They may well have difficulty getting the changes which need to be put through but the answer isn’t to just tinker with something unconnected.

• Girts (@girts) said on 11th December 2013, 14:42

@prisoner-monkeys I think it should be pointed out that the decision was taken by the F1 Strategy Group, which consists of 6 teams (6 votes), FOM (6 votes) and FIA (6 votes). According to FIA’s press release, the new rules were approved “unanimously”, which indicates that everyone supported them. So the teams are only part of the problem even if they were the ones, who came up with the weird idea.

I believe that James Allen is right by saying that the new Strategy Group members “want to demonstrate that they can get things done”, namely, they want to show that they’re able to agree on something even if it’s something absurd. However, RBR already openly criticise the double points rule so I doubt if they have really achieved that aim.

• Robbie said on 12th December 2013, 0:01

So as much as I am all for democracy, perhaps the teams have too much say, especially if it is as P-M suggests that they are the problem and not the solution. And I do believe what he is saying regarding teams claiming what is best for F1 is that which would selfishly favour them. And then of course there is the reality of Ferrari’s weight in F1 too.

Perhaps the REAL voters, namely the viewers, will have to revolt by turning their backs to F1, in order for F1 to take notice of what the actual people who are the reason F1 exists, want.

9. andae23 (@andae23) said on 11th December 2013, 6:21

Regarding COTD (which is a great one by the way), I don’t know why, but Prost always seems to do well in different points systems. I believe he would have been a quintuple world champion in the medal system too, while in the post-2010 points system he would have won six.

10. Pandaslap (@pandaslap) said on 11th December 2013, 6:31

@keithcollantine Congratulations on the well deserved recognition your work is receiving. The FIA may not listen but you’ve given this community a broader voice and gotten the attention of others in the F1 press in the process. Well done.

11. Hairs (@hairs) said on 11th December 2013, 8:15

Business manager in telling lies shocker. And I thought the paddock was full of straight dealing, honest people who are full of concern and empathy for others.

Apparently DiResta didn’t get the memo that what happens in the paddock stays there.

12. philcooling (@philcooling) said on 11th December 2013, 9:41

Is this the first time F1 Fanatic has been quoted in a news article that has been quoted on F1 Fanatic (my head hurts)!?

13. Bazza Spock (@bazza-spock) said on 11th December 2013, 10:23

Well congratz to seb. Kravitz tweeted sbs.com.au reproting that but said it was unconfirmed.
    I sometimes wonder why so many F1 drivers stay childless. I know that the long travelling calendar takes its toll but there’s kids everywhere in naxcar and australian v8 supercars, and they travel.

I wonder if he’ll end up braking that millisecond earlier because he doesn’t want junior to be fatherless?

14. Sumedh said on 11th December 2013, 10:39

Congrats Keith for championing this crusade against double points idea.

If the double points gets revoked, I will feel great as I will have contributed with that one “NO” vote on your site which then eventually got quoted at so many places that FIA revoked it. THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME THAT POWER and ability to make my favorite sport better (or at least stop it from getting worse).

15. Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 11th December 2013, 14:29

Now just the double points to be scrapped and I’ll be moderately happy